A Bears fan's thoughts on Favre's retirement

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some thoughts from a Bears fan about Favre's retirement:

Posted by LudeDude98:
"Man, I don't know what to say...honestly.

I have been waiting for this day to come for Years...YEARS! I have been waiting so long to see Favre retire, and leave the Packers; no more Favre magic, no more bear killer, my arch nemesis gone. I have wished and wished for this.

And the day has come; and I am not happy at all, I am actually quite upset, you could actually say I'm sad.

I am almost 23 years old. For as long as I have been able to actually watch football, and retain what was going on, #4 has been in the green and gold.

Favre won his superbowl when I was in 5th grade...I am now a senior in college.

Favre is the Green Bay Packers to me. He is their identity, and their spirit. I have never, NEVER, seen a Packers game without Favre under center. Him leaving is not just an end of a dynasty for me, it's the end of the Packers. Yes, the bears will play the Packers twice next season, as they always do. The rivalry will be there, and it will be bragging rights between us for whoever is on top when the clock reaches 0:00. But when I think about next season, and beating the packers, does it feel good? Will I feel like we actually accomplished something major? Without Favre taking the snaps, it's almost meaningless to me.

I know I'm just ranting, but I am very upset, almost about to cry on this side of the computer screen. I just feel I will never see the Packers in the same light ever again. Just another division rival, right next to the Lions and Vikings, nothing more to it other than the same ole' storied history that is attached every time we meet.

So congrats to Brett Favre, you are the defnition of football to me. I don't think I will remember, admire, hate, respect, fear, and miss any other player more than #4."

(This was worth copying and pasting, with the poster's permission. I won't advertise another site by saying where I got it from. If anyone really wants to know so that you can send the poster thoughts, I will PM it to you. I promised I would give him credit though, so his username is referenced.)

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i really do appreciate his opinion.

however. he is still a bears fan. and im still a packers fan.

and as soon as we take the field next year against those bears... believe me, that game will be anything but meaningless.

we are still the same ol' packers... football through and through.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit I felt very similar to this when Moss left the Vikes. I hated he was so good, but I loved that I got to see him twice a year for good or for ill. When he left it sucked he was not going to be part of the Packers schedule each year. It's a bit of a leap, but I do think you come to respect the superstars on you rival's team.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all get old... Life goes on.

Packers and Bears will finally be a rivalry again. Grossman might now have hopes of not being the Packers MVP everytime the Bears play the Pack.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Packers and Bears will finally be a rivalry again. Grossman might now have hopes of not being the Packers MVP everytime the Bears play the Pack.

Let's not go overboard here.. Grossman will always be the "mental midget" of the NFCN.. it not his fault and Brett retiring isn't going be make him suddenly a better QB tomorrow.. :p

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Excellent post. I think that Rex is 4-1 against the Packers. His backups in that time, are Orton at 2-0 and Griese at 1-0.

Grossman might be the Packers MVP when the bears are playing someone else, but when the Bears are playing the packers, GROSSMAN OWNS THE PACKERS.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:

Excellent post. I think that Rex is 4-1 against the Packers. His backups in that time, are Orton at 2-0 and Griese at 1-0.

Grossman might be the Packers MVP when the bears are playing someone else, but when the Bears are playing the packers, GROSSMAN OWNS THE PACKERS.

You mean the Bears are 7-1 vs the Packers in the last 8 games? I think your calculations are wrong.

Besides, my point is that we the PACKER fans need to move on.

Guitarzan-54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:

I'm not sure of exact numbers, cause it really doesn't matter. Green Bay hasn't been a threat to Chicago ever sense Lovie took over.
Grossman has beatin' Favre all but once. Yeah, that same Quarterback that everyone loves to laugh at, has eaten Favre up one side and spit him out the other.

But, he will NEVER be the WARRIOR that Favre was. ...nobody will.
Green Bay was very fortunate to have had him, as would have any team.

NOBODY LOVED THE GAME MORE.

KUDOS TO BRETT FAVRE!

A TRUE, AND VERY POSSIBLY THE LAST, OF THE GREATEST ONES TO HAVE PLAYED THE GAME, EVER.

HE WAS "OLD SCHOOL" AND "HARDCORE"...and played for the LOVE, and never The MONEY.

The sport has lost a phenomenal athlete.

...but, thank god he leaves HEALTHY, WEALTHY, AND HAPPY!

GREAT JOB, BRETT!!!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guitarzan-54 said:

KUDOS TO BRETT FAVRE!

A TRUE, AND VERY POSSIBLY THE LAST, OF THE GREATEST ONES TO HAVE PLAYED THE GAME, EVER.

HE WAS "OLD SCHOOL" AND "HARDCORE"...and played for the LOVE, and never The MONEY.

This is key here. Brett is a dying breed. He's one of the last where it's not about fame and/or fortune. He loved the game.

joym13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit I felt very similar to this when Moss left the Vikes. I hated he was so good, but I loved that I got to see him twice a year for good or for ill. When he left it sucked he was not going to be part of the Packers schedule each year. It's a bit of a leap, but I do think you come to respect the superstars on you rival's team.

I didn't feel that way about Moss - I was happy to see him go. But I did (and still do) feel that way about Barry Sanders!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guitarzan-54 said:
Obi1 said:

I'm not sure of exact numbers, cause it really doesn't matter. Green Bay hasn't been a threat to Chicago ever sense Lovie took over.
Grossman has beatin' Favre all but once. Yeah, that same Quarterback that everyone loves to laugh at, has eaten Favre up one side and spit him out the other.
But, he will NEVER be the WARRIOR that Favre was. ...nobody will.
Green Bay was very fortunate to have had him, as would have any team.

KUDOS TO BRETT FAVRE!

The sport has lost a phenomenal athlete.

...but, thank god he leaves HEALTHY, WEALTHY, AND HAPPY!

GREAT JOB, BRETT!!!

Agree with your post for the most part; however, Grossman didn't play against Favre per se, he played against the Packers defense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts