A 10,000 foot perspective on this season

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Perhaps an unpopular view...

The offense was absolute trash. The defense is something to be excited about.

I know this team needs a top 10 edge rusher, but it is highly unlikely Josh Allen or Nick Bosa come to Green Bay. I would like to see GB take the best WR in the draft with their first pick. That would give Aaron Rodgers something he has never had (first round talent to catch the football). Then look at the second much later first round pick to get a second tier pass rusher. Take a look around the league with teams that have 2 solid recievers. Kansas City- Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce can be considered a reciever. Pittsburg AB and Juju. Vikings- Theilen and Diggs. LA Rams- Cooks and Woods. What do they all have in common? With the exception of Patrick Mahomes...Medicore/subpar quarterbacks with a ticket to playoffs this season. Need someone next to Adams to get this offense back on its feet.

So long as Mike Pettine is the DC, I love where this defense is headed.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have 6 picks in the top 125 ~ to be determined bu approx. #11, #30-32, #43, #75, #109 & #118 (from Washington).
There are 6-8 very good/good each at Edge, TE, and OG in top 125.
There are 8-10 very good/good OT's, DT's & Safeties in top 125.
There are 14-18 very good/good WR's in top 125.

I think Gute will be re-loading AR with some weapons, both at TE & WR... but none of those will help if he's on his back and/or injured.
IMHO the positions of need are, in order:
Edge, OT, TE, OG, DT, S, and WR. I'm also excited that Gute isn't afraid of Free Agency so we can look forward to some mid-level vets coming in to bolster the talent level and depth in ALL of those positions.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have 6 picks in the top 125 ~ to be determined bu approx. #11, #30-32, #43, #75, #109 & #118 (from Washington).
There are 6-8 very good/good each at Edge, TE, and OG in top 125.
There are 8-10 very good/good OT's, DT's & Safeties in top 125.
There are 14-18 very good/good WR's in top 125.

I think Gute will be re-loading AR with some weapons, both at TE & WR... but none of those will help if he's on his back and/or injured.
Edge, OT, TE, OG, DT, S, and WR. I'm also excited that Gute isn't afraid of Free Agency so we can look forward to some mid-level vets coming in to bolster the talent level and depth in ALL of those positions.
A nice case study is look at the Colts this year..Andrew Luck was getting murdered that past few years...they invested in the "non **** " picks OL. even a first round guard Quinten Nelsen. I think it saved Lucks career. We need to look at OL more that once super early. we have to get rodgers head right again. Maybe a younger WR free agent is out there...i dont know the answer to that.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with that assessment. However, I don't know what a younger WR will do when we never use speed. I'm struggling to remember one time that Rodgers even attempted to throw it deep to one of our young, fast, and tall WRs. We make our young guys learn routes, which is great. But at the same time, we never release the hounds.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with that assessment. However, I don't know what a younger WR will do when we never use speed. I'm struggling to remember one time that Rodgers even attempted to throw it deep to one of our young, fast, and tall WRs. We make our young guys learn routes, which is great. But at the same time, we never release the hounds.
Yesterday, MVS...Rodgers missed him by 5 yards...deep middle. thats why i want a younger vet free agent, maybe they can get on same page prior to week 15.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Missed Equanameous St. Brown in the endzone in 1st half. Thought St. Brown ran a decent route but could've sharpened-up the cut towards post a little more... but AR's been consistently practicing with these young guys for at least 6-8 weeks. St. Brown had his man beat, missed TD. :(

Even if Cobb is gone there may not be room on the roster for a higher round pick with Adams, Eq. St. Brown, MVS, Kumerow, Moore, and maybe Allison (RFA) back.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
call me pessimistic (lol) but i've got a feeling we'll be hearing a lot more of Rodgers not being "comfortable", on the "same page", than we did this year because of the new coaching staff/new-system/learning-curve.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
call me pessimistic (lol) but i've got a feeling we'll be hearing a lot more of Rodgers not being "comfortable", on the "same page", than we did this year because of the new coaching staff/new-system/learning-curve.
May also be a blessing in disguise? Packers had a great drive, yesterday, when AR dinked-dunked and took quick, short passes that were being given resulting in a TD. Next series he ignored the short passes and threw long 3 straight times resulting in a punt.

Maybe AR needs to NOT be comfortable with HIS plans and runs a slightly simplified offense that takes what is being given?

H

HardRightEdge

Thought St. Brown ran a decent route but could've sharpened-up the cut towards post a little more.
It's not the first break he rounded off and won't be the last. Lack of suddenness in his breaks was all over the college tape. We've seen that this season as well.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First thing is fix guards and RT...you see a more confident Rodgers. Next fast speed guy in slot, or Vet Wr other side from adams. Rodgers above EVERYTHING needs to feel protected...nothing else matters.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yesterday, MVS...Rodgers missed him by 5 yards...deep middle. thats why i want a younger vet free agent, maybe they can get on same page prior to week 15.

I think Rodgers said in the post game that this throw got taken by the wind? Might have been another one, I can't recall 100%.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not the first break he rounded off and won't be the last. Lack of suddenness in his breaks was all over the college tape. We've seen that this season as well.
Those "details" that they can't seem to get worked out.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This should be a VERY easy thing to fix by any NFL caliber coach... hopefully we'll get a few this offseason. :tup:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers said in the post game that this throw got taken by the wind? Might have been another one, I can't recall 100%.
You are correct. A reporter also asked about St. Brown implying rookie was to blame. AR took responsibility for that one as well.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps an unpopular view...

The offense was absolute trash. The defense is something to be excited about.

I know this team needs a top 10 edge rusher, but it is highly unlikely Josh Allen or Nick Bosa come to Green Bay. I would like to see GB take the best WR in the draft with their first pick. That would give Aaron Rodgers something he has never had (first round talent to catch the football). Then look at the second much later first round pick to get a second tier pass rusher. Take a look around the league with teams that have 2 solid recievers. Kansas City- Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce can be considered a reciever. Pittsburg AB and Juju. Vikings- Theilen and Diggs. LA Rams- Cooks and Woods. What do they all have in common? With the exception of Patrick Mahomes...Medicore/subpar quarterbacks with a ticket to playoffs this season. Need someone next to Adams to get this offense back on its feet.

So long as Mike Pettine is the DC, I love where this defense is headed.
Just because Jordy and Adams were drafted in the 2nd round, doesnt mean they were 2nd round talent. Redraft both those years and they both go top 20. I think one of our rookies takes a big step next year. I would rather spend picks this season on the trenches.

Reaction score
I’m also an advocate of investing in protection for Rodgers. There several areas id like to double down.
1.OL. It’s time to go after Bulagas successor. He’s too oft injured and he needs to be phased out while a quality rookie takes over. I’d prefer to also go after a OT with our Saints pick. I’d prefer to go after a quality veteran OG in FA to back that up. I’d even hit it OL again during the mid rounds.
Then again at OLB. We need to go after a quality defender in the ‘19 draft single digits overall. Somewhere we can package picks but still hold onto our Saints pick. I’m not interested in mortgaging our future..but between picks 5-10 overall? There should be an answer. I also believe it’s time to part with CM3 unless he takes a 50% paycut minimum. We could better use that cap on a younger more eager Free Agent or another position group. I think it would be wise to double down again at OLB with a semi-elite veteran FA (10-15M) while we groom our 1st pick.
We still have plenty of resources to get another tailback (Jamaal is a solid 3rd but we need another Aaron Jones turbo type that demands opposing defenses respect. Early round 3 or a trade into the back half of round 2 if necessary or if there is an ideal fit.

D

Deleted member 6794

Edge, OT, TE, OG, DT, S, and WR.

I think the Packers offense would hugely benefit by adding a veteran wide receiver this offseason. Tight end isn't a top priority in my opinion.

Even if Cobb is gone there may not be room on the roster for a higher round pick with Adams, Eq. St. Brown, MVS, Kumerow, Moore, and maybe Allison (RFA) back.

The Packers definitely have room for a talented wide receiver on the roster. I'm fine with the team either getting rid of Allison or Moore if they don't want to keep that many on the 53.

I also believe it’s time to part with CM3 unless he takes a 50% paycut minimum.

There's no way the Packers should offer Matthews more than $5 million a season to retain him.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we get the opportunity to get one of the top 2 OT's in this draft, we should definitely jump at either Little from Ole Miss or Williams from 'Bama. Unless one of the defensive stars drop to us, we need to start fixing that OL immediately. That second pick & third pick can be used on BPA at Edge, WR, or safety. Would love a Jonah Williams, Montez Sweet, and N'Keal Harry first 3 picks.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully Gute strengthens the trenches first & foremost....OL, DL, TE (blocking). Sign/draft a WR after that.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree we need to look at OL. Problem is, if the line holds longer, Rodgers will probably just want to hold the ball longer.
But hopefully, this is something the new coach can fix - scheme some guys open and get Rodgers to go through his reads.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Problem is, if the line holds longer, Rodgers will probably just want to hold the ball longer.
But hopefully, this is something the new coach can fix - scheme some guys open and get Rodgers to go through his reads.

You sir hit the nail on the head. HE wants to do it all instead of playing to the strengths of the players around him. He is really beginning to pee me off.

Last edited by a moderator:

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You sir hit the nail on the head. HE wants to do it all instead of playing to the strengths of the players around him. He is really beginning to pee me off.
So, are you saying that he would perform better with a O-line consisting of only UDFA's?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

So, are you saying that he would perform better with a O-line consisting of only UDFA's?

I am of the opinion that it always seems to be everybody around hims fault, and while I agree things need to improve, so does he. Somebody else made the point that give him more protection and he'll just hold the ball longer. Why does he think he has to do it all ? If he trusted his receivers more and threw shorter passes instead of longer passes I'd respect him more AND stop glaring at players who can't catch an overthrown or underthrown ball. They are not at fault, he is.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HE wants to do it all instead of playing to the strengths of the players around him. He is really beginning to pee me off.
Strong language, sir!
There are benefits to shorter passes anyway, as opposed to moving down the field in one big chunk. Ball control lets the defense rest and keeps the opposing team off the field. Notably, Rodgers yards per attempt are down this year, 7.40 compared to his career average of 7.82. This is a stat that he is supposed to excel at, but he's only 19th in the league this year. All the throwaways probably have a lot to do with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts