96 packers best team ever?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Sorry, but I think I'd take the 65 or 66 Packers over the 96. They were all great teams, but the 96ers were one hit wonders.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where are the '62 Packers? 10 and 1; led the league in scoring and in fewest points allowed(besides wins, the only stats worth anything). Any computer that ignores any of the Packer teams of the '60's is seriously flawed.

Like all "greatest" discussions, it is impossible to compare teams or individuals from different eras, but I'll take the '62 team over any other.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Where are the '62 Packers? 10 and 1; led the league in scoring and in fewest points allowed(besides wins, the only stats worth anything). Any computer that ignores any of the Packer teams of the '60's is seriously flawed.

Like all "greatest" discussions, it is impossible to compare teams or individuals from different eras, but I'll take the '62 team over any other.

Yeah, I'd give the 62 team a pretty high ranking as well.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see the 60's teams, so I can't REALLY talk about them.

I mean, I did watch some film, and I've read about the players, the coaches, the coaching philosophy, the season, etc...

Not the same as watching them, though.

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing about the 96 team was when they stepped on the field they knew as well as the other team did that the Packers were the dominant team. That defensive line was probably one of the best ever assembled.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do not want to argue about two great Packer teams. It's going to be a generational argument.. I saw both teams. They were both great.

!962 Packers:
Points scored per game 29.6 NFL Rank #1
Points allowed per game 10.6 NFL Rank#1
Point diff. per game 19.1 NFL rank #1
Takeaway/giveaway margin +22 NFL Rank #1
1996 Packers
Points scored per game 28.5 NFL Rank #1
Points allowed per game 13.1 NFL Rank #1
Point diff. per game 15.4 NFL Rank #1
Takeaway/giveaway margin +15 NFL Rank #1

So God love em both.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 1996 Packers were like watching magic come to life for me. I'm not blessed to be old enough to remember the 1962 team. In 1996 I got to watch my hero win the SB with a team I had come to fall in love with deeply. I remember the sense of wonder that took the breath from me and I will remember it until the end of my days as one of the greatest moments in sports I have ever witnessed. I love the 1962 team as legends that I would of loved to of been alive to see. I feel honored to be a fan of a team with such a great history. I know that one day when I get to Lambeau Field, I well feel the energy from the past reverberate from those sacred grounds right into my very soul, transcending the barriers of time itself. Take a moment and remember the Packers of yesterday and know just how blessed we are in this life.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do not want to argue about two great Packer teams. It's going to be a generational argument.. I saw both teams. They were both great.

!962 Packers:
Points scored per game 29.6 NFL Rank #1
Points allowed per game 10.6 NFL Rank#1
Point diff. per game 19.1 NFL rank #1
Takeaway/giveaway margin +22 NFL Rank #1
1996 Packers
Points scored per game 28.5 NFL Rank #1
Points allowed per game 13.1 NFL Rank #1
Point diff. per game 15.4 NFL Rank #1
Takeaway/giveaway margin +15 NFL Rank #1

So God love em both.

Over the years I have owned a number computer simulation programs. I don't put faith in them but they were fun to do. Every time I would have the 1962 Packer team play the undefeated Dolphins or the 1985 Bears, the 62 Packers won the majority of games, Never thought of simulating the 96 Packers against those team, Will have to try. And now that the subject has come up, do I dare have the 62 Packers play the 96 Packers? I don't think I want to.

missinghoagies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the 1996 team had the largest margin between points scored and points given up for any Super Bowl winning team, I always think losing the SB to Elway the following year cost that team a spot among the all time great SB era teams. Never hear the experts mention that team among the elite SB teams. Also of note could have went 15-1 in regular season if not for a complete and total decimation of the receiving corps a little more then halfway through the season...In my book they are a top 3 team since I have been watching football and remembering SBs. 1989 49ers, 1985 Bears and then that Packer team, some might argue the Cowboys but I would honestly take that Packer team against any of the Cowboy winning teams of the 90's...plus I hate Dallas:)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were the team of the 60's.
That was the better Packers team.
And they had Vince.
Really. What more needs to be said?

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1962 Packers were the best I've seen. The game was still real football.

O-line holding was not yet legalized and you could still play corner.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over the years I have owned a number computer simulation programs. I don't put faith in them but they were fun to do. Every time I would have the 1962 Packer team play the undefeated Dolphins or the 1985 Bears, the 62 Packers won the majority of games, Never thought of simulating the 96 Packers against those team, Will have to try. And now that the subject has come up, do I dare have the 62 Packers play the 96 Packers? I don't think I want to.

Good work GGAngel!! Great post. You can't lose the argument when backing one Packer team against another.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts