9-8-2013 Packers vs 49ers - REVENGE

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Matthews back peddled after the fact so that settles it!

He flat out said he's going to take "shots on the QB" because the QB is "too important to the offense". He also implied he wants to take full advantage of the rule change for when/if Kaepernick fakes like he's running with the ball, meaning, he'll try to hit him even if he knows he doesn't really have the ball.

I hope he follows through with his veiled threat to take cheap shots on Kaepernick. I will then make some popcorn and anticipate one of those hits on Rodgers that makes his helmet pop off his head.

So now you're the one calling for the head-hunting eh? Here's what Clay said:

"One of the things that the referees have told us is that when these quarterbacks carry out the fakes, they lose their right as a quarterback, a pocket-passing quarterback, the protection of a quarterback," Matthews said Wednesday on ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike." "So with that, you do have to take your shots on the quarterback, and obviously they're too important to their offense. If that means they pull them out of that type of offense and make them run a traditional, drop-back, pocket-style offense, I think that's exactly what we're going for. So you want to put hits as early and often on the quarterback and make them uncomfortable."

You and your buddy Jim Whinebaugh can try to make lots of hay out of that, but what Clay said is perfectly reasonable. Get the QB in that type of offense out his game and try to force him into a classic drop-back pocket-style offense by hitting him when he does the run-fake, read-option stuff. There isn't a word in there that any pass-rusher in this league wouldn't say.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knows that's why QBs can't be runners in the NFL. It's too dangerous.... even RBs go down injured all the time and they are usually built like rocks.

Steve Young and Randall Cunningham used to run more.... then they took hard hits and cut that way down.
Neither suffered a serious injury, but RG3 did last year, and Kaepernick will too if he doesn't cut down the running.

He's going to get crushed if he keeps it up. Maybe not this week, but he gets Seattle next week. They'll pop his ribs. Especially Browner and Earl Thomas.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"One of the things that the referees have told us is that when these quarterbacks carry out the fakes, they lose their right as a quarterback, a pocket-passing quarterback, the protection of a quarterback," Matthews said Wednesday on ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike." "So with that, you do have to take your shots on the quarterback, and obviously they're too important to their offense. If that means they pull them out of that type of offense and make them run a traditional, drop-back, pocket-style offense, I think that's exactly what we're going for. So you want to put hits as early and often on the quarterback and make them uncomfortable."

You and your buddy Jim Whinebaugh can try to make lots of hay out of that, but what Clay said is perfectly reasonable. Get the QB in that type of offense out his game and try to force him into a classic drop-back pocket-style offense by hitting him when he does the run-fake, read-option stuff. There isn't a word in there that any pass-rusher in this league wouldn't say.

What he said is perfectly reasonable only if you're willfully ignorant to what he implied. The rule is in place out of fairness to defenders who might legitimately believe the QB is really running with the ball. It's not there just so you can get a free shot in. If he wasn't talking about actively trying to injure Kaepernick, then why did he say quarterbacks are "too important to their offense"?

In baseball what happens when a pitcher decides to bean the batter? Thanks, Matthews, for the locker room material.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knows that's why QBs can't be runners in the NFL. It's too dangerous.... even RBs go down injured all the time and they are usually built like rocks.

Steve Young and Randall Cunningham used to run more.... then they took hard hits and cut that way down.
Neither suffered a serious injury, but RG3 did last year, and Kaepernick will too if he doesn't cut down the running.

He's going to get crushed if he keeps it up. Maybe not this week, but he gets Seattle next week. They'll pop his ribs. Especially Browner and Earl Thomas.

Young's career ending injury was while he was in the pocket.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steve Young and Randall Cunningham used to run more.... then they took hard hits and cut that way down. Neither suffered a serious injury

Steve Young: 6 concussions in 5 seasons. No serious injuries?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Young like Aikman banged his head too many times.

But Young curtailed his running a lot as he got older and wiser.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What he said is perfectly reasonable only if you're willfully ignorant to what he implied. The rule is in place out of fairness to defenders who might legitimately believe the QB is really running with the ball. It's not there just so you can get a free shot in. If he wasn't talking about actively trying to injure Kaepernick, then why did he say quarterbacks are "too important to their offense"?

In baseball what happens when a pitcher decides to bean the batter? Thanks, Matthews, for the locker room material.

@USArmyParatrooper

Clay isnt stupid enough to purposely injury ANY q.b after stating what he did..He knows the league and refs will watch him closely.

Other defensive players had said many many worse things about opposing q.b...

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Jared-All...aron-Rodgers-and-Green-Bay-Packers-Blog-11046

Hopefully, I can put my helmet square in the back of (Rodgers') spine. If I can do that and knock the ball loose, it’ll be a good day.”

So stop whining about NOTHING that was implied...

It is tackle football and the rules state you can tackle the q.b if he is acting as a runner..This is a big boys game and I am such Kap can take the hits..

When Clay says something like Allen did, then you can cry about Clay wanting to injury him..

but until then, put on the big boy pants and enjoy the game

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@USArmyParatrooper

Clay isnt stupid enough to purposely injury ANY q.b after stating what he did..He knows the league and refs will watch him closely.

Other defensive players had said many many worse things about opposing q.b...

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Jared-All...aron-Rodgers-and-Green-Bay-Packers-Blog-11046

So stop whining about NOTHING that was implied...

It is tackle football and the rules state you can tackle the q.b if he is acting as a runner..This is a big boys game and I am such Kap can take the hits..

When Clay says something like Allen did, then you can cry about Clay wanting to injury him..

but until then, put on the big boy pants and enjoy the game

Didn't that same guy get fined for attempting to make good on his threat? So why would it be unheard of for another player to do the same?

Yes, what Allen said was worse. To be more accurate, it was more direct, but that doesn't make Clay's veiled threat any less wrong.

I agree that if a QB acts as a runner he should be treated like a runner. This has always been the case. But now with the vague NFL rules if a QB merely fakes like he still has the ball, he is treated like a runner. They don't specify that he must be pretending to carry the ball AS a runner at the time he gets hit.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't that same guy get fined for attempting to make good on his threat? So why would it be unheard of for another player to do the same?

Yes, what Allen said was worse. To be more accurate, it was more direct, but that doesn't make Clay's veiled threat any less wrong.

I agree that if a QB acts as a runner he should be treated like a runner. This has always been the case. But now with the vague NFL rules if a QB merely fakes like he still has the ball, he is treated like a runner. They don't specify that he must be pretending to carry the ball AS a runner at the time he gets hit.
Now I understand why you've been spelling "wine", "whine". Much ado about nothing, quit your crying.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crying? Kaepernick is tough and the Niners have a very good O-line. The Packers' O-line, well... and also we have some beasts on the D-line. I already said let's make this Clay's little game a two-way street.
I only see niner fans complaining about this. And no one has even implied that it isn't a two way street.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
How did this become about head-hunting or trying to injure anybody? Over the last few years the NFL has become so flag-happy on any play the QB gets touched. All Clay's talking about is that QBs who present themselves as potential runners on a given play are as fair game as a RB or anyone else. The over-protection of the QB is no longer in effect. There was no implication of trying to injure anyone. I don't get how it got flipped around like that.

94niners

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What people aren't accounting for is that the 49ers are dealing with as many question marks as we are. They are relying on Boldin as their no. 1 WR. And have huge question marks after him. Culliver - one of their better CB's is lost for the year - and they have to replace Gholdson at safety. And most importantly, who knows if Willis will even play with his broken hand.

Yes, we have some question marks. But so do the 49ers (and most teams for that matter). We are a team that has gone 26-6 the last two regular seasons. We may not win, but I think we'll be ready for the game and play well. Looking forward to it!

Actually, Culliver isn't as good as sites like PFF claim. He is good at coverage, but TERRIBLE at playing the ball, which is why he got exposed so badly the second half of the season. After teams threw some up despite him being in position, and found they could make plays against him, everyone started doing it.

I know it isn't popular to say, but in the preseason so far Nnamdi Asomugha has looked a lot better than Culliver at the 3rd corner position.

How did this become about head-hunting or trying to injure anybody? Over the last few years the NFL has become so flag-happy on any play the QB gets touched. All Clay's talking about is that QBs who present themselves as potential runners on a given play are as fair game as a RB or anyone else. The over-protection of the QB is no longer in effect. There was no implication of trying to injure anyone. I don't get how it got flipped around like that.

While I understand Mathew's position as a defender, I find it awfully fishy that 100% of the coaches on the competition committee have traditional drop back passers rather than QBs capable of running the read-option. Coincidence? There is no coincidence...

Jerry Rice fumbled.
The only people who 'say' (not believe) that Rice did NOT fumble are 9'ers fans. Much the same way that the only people who believe wazziname that ball last year are Seagull fans. ...and it's hard to tell the 9'er fans from the Seagull fans these days. The constant crap talk emanating from northern California and the Pacific Northwest is kind of running together these days - it's hard to tell, if anyone really cares, where one fan base's line of crap ends and the other begins, it's alll turned into one great big steaming pile. ;)

...and my second favorite NFL team going back to the early 70's is the 9'ers (that is being tested since Harbaugh became head coach).

Bennette fumbled (fumble return for TD in 97 NFC championship called incomplete, 14 point swing).
Don Beebe was touched and so down by contact (long TD that eventually led to OT loss @ GB). Gave GB home field advantage in the playoffs and a first round bye, with which Steve Young wouldn't have been injured for the playoffs.
Brent Jones was held (nearly every single time he ran a route).

As Steve Young put it, the refs gave Green Bay so many in those days that the Jerry Rice play was not only deserved, it didn't even completely pay the tab.

Just saying.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
While I understand Mathew's position as a defender, I find it awfully fishy that 100% of the coaches on the competition committee have traditional drop back passers rather than QBs capable of running the read-option. Coincidence? There is no coincidence...

You do realize that's because all but a few QBs in the NFL are traditional drop-back passers. The rules we've been seeing protecting QBs are not actually to protect QBs, but to protect *passers*. You know, the whole defenseless player thing. If a QB is showing himself to be potential runner on a designed run (not a scramble), than he will be treated as such, as he should be.

94niners

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome 94niners. I may be reading that wrong and if I am, I apologize in advance. Sure reads to me as though you and a good part of your 9'er brethren believe that all the 9'ers have to do is show up, and that a couple of guys need to NOT screw up and wha-lah!! Victory is yours.

Lol, no. I just said that the running game won't beat us. AARON RODGERS, against a secondary with a rookie in it, is the key for Green Bay. Did I not write that clearly enough? *goes to look*

While I understand your fan base's glee at going to (and misery of losing) a Super Bowl, I would offer that the key will NOT be the 9'ers defeating themselves as your post would infer, but rather that the 9'ers coaching staff once again completely out-coach the Packers'.

Thanks for the unneeded jab. I hope you cried in 1997-98.

In any case, rookie DBs make mistakes. Great QBs make defenses pay for starting rookie DBs. Aaron Rogers is a great QB, playing against a suspect secondary that will be starting a rookie. How does it NOT make sense to attack the 49ers there, particularly when the 49ers are arguably the best run defense the NFL has seen in a few years? Run to keep the pass rush honest, but any more than that and you'll be hurting your chances.

Your guys ran the ball 43 times in last year's game, including #5's attempts - hard to determine to be sure, how many of those attempts resulted from 'coverage' and how many were designed off the top of my head. Factor out #5's 56-yard busted play jaunt -- and our defense STILL sucked. Much has been made of the read-option thing ... but I still think that poor preparation on GB's side (or exemplary game planning by SF) had more to do with it than anything.

The 49ers don't run the read-option like they did against Green Bay. That was an anomaly, but because of the high profile nature of the game the whole world seems to have completely missed reality. The 49ers do the read-option thing once or twice a game on average. It was a great plan by the 49ers, but it was NOT their usual M.O. (in fact that's exactly why it worked so well)

So... 43 running plays to 16 (including Rodgers' 3) for Green Bay, a 38 minute to 21 minute time-of-possession advantage for SF ... want to tell us again how unimportant a running game is to Green Bay? Just sayin' ...

That wasn't because Green Bay couldn't run the ball. It was because Green Bay couldn't STOP the run. STOPPING the run is much more important for a team like Green Bay. Did you see how many rushing yards the Broncos had on Thursday? Like 60? Meanwhile they scored 49 points and Manning throws for 7 touchdowns.

I'm reading in various media previews this RIDICULOUS notion that the Packers, in order to stifle the 49ers seemingly "unstoppable" offense, should use a running game and ball control to keep them off the field. :laugh:

AARON RODGERS... needs to use a running game and ball control to keep THE OTHER OFFENSE off the field? Are you freaking kidding me? No! No freaking way! The 49ERS need to run the ball to keep RODGERS and the PACKERS offense off the field.

Do you see what ONE incredible performance has done? The whole freaking world has lost its mind!

...and I repeat ... LAST year has nothing to do with THIS year -- and I'm not taking thing #1 away from the 9'ers. Your guys beat our guys ... twice... and neither win was a fluke. Best of luck to your guys this year beginning week 2. :)

You seem to have mistook my post. So let me try again.

A running game in and of itself won't save Green Bay, and that's for two reasons:

1. The 49ers are a great run defense.
2. Every time Aaron Rodgers hands it off, there are potential big plays in the passing game being aborted, and this against a suspect secondary that GOT WORSE in the off season.

The Packers need only enough of a running game to keep the 49ers pass rush honest. A ball control type offense (like I'm reading about all over the internet) is completely absurd. The Packers will need the quarterback with the highest passer rating in NFL history to win the game, not some rookie RB.

*caps for emphasis. I find this notion that the Packers need to play like the 2011 49ers to have a shot at winning to be ridiculous. That's the exact opposite of what they need to do on offense. The OFFENSIVE key is Rodgers, and the defensive key is stopping the regular run, because you probably won't see much read-option.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a QB is going to pretend he's running the ball with the intent of fooling defenders, how would it be fair to penalize any defender that is fooled and hits him?:confused:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Ummmm no....He was fined in the prior weeks for injuring Schaubs knee and was told do not go after q.b like that again...He then hit Rodgers in the head. That was a roughing the passer flag and then a fine.

Clay didnt threaten anyone..He is simply stating the rles now allow the defense to hit the q.b

I agree that if a QB acts as a runner he should be treated like a runner.

So if he should be treated as a runner, then why can't Clay say he will be hit like a runner?

Clay shouldnt say he will hit the q.b according to you.....

But in your own words you admit the q.b should be treated as a runner, just dont touch him..

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Okay, I`m not a fan of Harbaugh either, and I`ve read all the comments that us Packer fans have made to our visitors on this subject BUT that said, If the role is reversed and THEIR defensive line put Aaron out of the game with a fluke injury because of one of these FAIR hits, are we going to be philosophical about it ??? Somehow I dont think we will guys. Just saying !

OP
OP

12theTruth

Okay, I`m not a fan of Harbaugh either, and I`ve read all the comments that us Packer fans have made to our visitors on this subject BUT that said, If the role is reversed and THEIR defensive line put Aaron out of the game with a fluke injury because of one of these FAIR hits, are we going to be philosophical about it ??? Somehow I dont think we will guys. Just saying !

I will. A rule is a rule. Teams have to adapt. They've already taken enough of the hitting out of NFL games. Pretty soon they'll be issuing pom poms to the defenders.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts