85th pick WR Amari Rodgers

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So he's another Aaron Jones? Just lined up at WR 1st and gadget 2nd.

I think that's a good way to think about it.

He's more similar to Jones than to any receiver currently on the roster.

He's a poor man's Deebo Samuel.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really study how the RAS is fully calculated, but have to think that its skewed a lot by his height and his vertical? Very happy with this pick, wish it was a year ago, but I will take it now. The Packers finally have what looks to be a legit slot guy, a motion guy, a return guy and young legs.

Yeah its a combination of height weight, 40 time, three cone etc. The more athletic the player the higher the RAS score, for receivers its a benefit to be 6'3 and 210+ with a blazing hot 40 time. The trouble is that a guy like Rodgers would never be employed like that boundary type prototype wideout would.

Guys like Jerry Rice Wes Welker and Marcus Allen would have had low RAS scores, but they had unique skill sets that cant really be detected by a drill. All three had unusual gaits and running styles, Welker was choppy which screwed with the pursuit angles. A lot of short steps and defenders tended to stake angles which were too conservative allowing Welker room to cut and change direction while Rice and Allen were silky smooth and appeared to be moving slower than they were. Defenders would take steep angles and Allen and Rice would run right past them.

Amari doesnt have a funky gait but he just seems to keep his feet under him no matter what. Should be a good factor in the slop in December.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I think they should offer him #12.
Think of the jerseys that wouldn't need to be replaced, but then again the money lost for the business end.
I hate that this is even a discussion, but it is what it is sadly. Disappointed, but I promised myself I would never get as invested in a player as I did w/ "4" and I've haven't done that w/ "12" just oooooh so sad to see the ego become bigger than the game. :(

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta say I don't see any Montgomery in him. Granted, I have not seen a lot of him. I sure hope he is different from Montgomery. I think Amari is a whole lot quicker. And his 2nd gear looked awesome. Probably how he was getting deep so much.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta say I don't see any Montgomery in him. Granted, I have not seen a lot of him. I sure hope he is different from Montgomery. I think Amari is a whole lot quicker. And his 2nd gear looked awesome. Probably how he was getting deep so much.

both built like RBs playing out of the slot. Used Ty as comp because most fans will be able to visualize him better. He runs better routes, is Shiftier, quicker and excels more just across the board...but nonetheless is a RB body type playing slot.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see him as a shorter version of James Jones. Both have thicker frames and can shield db's from the football. Amari has better cutting ability so he should be more effective on short routes. I also think he has the power to give Lazard a run for his money on which receiver can deliver the most jarring blocks. His skill set may not wow people but it fits the Packers needs well.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about a Steve Smith comparison? That might work. Though Smith only caught 10 passes in his rookie year.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah its a combination of height weight, 40 time, three cone etc. The more athletic the player the higher the RAS score, for receivers its a benefit to be 6'3 and 210+ with a blazing hot 40 time. The trouble is that a guy like Rodgers would never be employed like that boundary type prototype wideout would.
There are other aspects of athleticism that are not measured or considered in RAS. Balance and control for example. One of the noteworthy things about Amari is his ability to contort his upper torso to make a catch while his lower half is busy still running its route. One of his TDs in the clip is a great example. He is running left to right and catches it right around the goal line. He makes it look easy. This is one of MVSs issues. When he is in full stride If he has to stretch to make the catch, his catch % drops. Amari makes it look easy.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There are other aspects of ateticism that are not measured or considered in RAS. Balance and control for example. One of the noteworthy things about Amari is his ability to contort his upper torso to make a catch while his lower half is busy still running its route. One of his TDs in the clip is a great example. He is running left to right and catches it right around the goal line. He makes it look easy. This is one of MVSs issues. When he is in full stride If he has to stretch to make the catch, his catch % drops. Amari makes it look easy.

Just to echo this-- I think contact balance is the #1 reason why RAS is less important for running backs. It can't be measured, and it matters a whole lot. And as we've discussed, Rodgers players the position a lot like a running back.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Amari Rodgers is going to play the slot, then parts of the RAS that pertain to the ability to cut and gain separation take on added significance like the cone drills and the size and 40-speed are less important. Seems to me, Wes Welker was quite effective in the slot and wasn't the biggest or fastest receiver on the field. If Amari can cut on a dime and has good hands, he will be a good slot receiver and be a big addition to the offense.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the first players I have seen Gute draft and there not be negatives about him. Probably someone else that I am missing....Jaire, Savage or Jenkins.....but a refreshing change that most of us love this pick.

Oh there were plenty of people complaining about Jaire. Plenty. “Josh Jackson is better!” “What a reach! This mock had him going 2nd round!”

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lance Zierlein has Rodgers pegged as one of his top three picks of the third round. Its only one talking head but one is better than none. At least its not one of the worst although I'm sure if you looked you could find one of those.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lance Zierlein has Rodgers pegged as one of his top three picks of the third round. Its only one talking head but one is better than none. At least its not one of the worst although I'm sure if you looked you could find one of those.

I mean to be fair he was arguably one of the premiere pure slot WRs in the draft, so not surprising. I still find it nuts to think how happy Gute was that he got him when he did in the fact he had him and Meyers pegged as worth more than their 62nd pick.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man the more you watch, hear and study his tape (I'd already done a serious amount), I haven't been this excited about a prospect since maybe Franklin in 2013 (I loved the guy) and/or Randall Cobb. Cannot wait to see how his rookie year goes.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man the more you watch, hear and study his tape (I'd already done a serious amount), I haven't been this excited about a prospect since maybe Franklin in 2013 (I loved the guy) and/or Randall Cobb. Cannot wait to see how his rookie year goes.

Randall Cobb sees him as a better version of himself...I think I'm in on that

Reaction score
I wasn’t sure where to put this link from SB Nation because it is multi faceted players comparison in the passing/receiving game and their relationship. It’s a longer read but very informative.
It’s also a look at the macro-Offensive concepts of 2 similar teams in 49ers and GBP (and a few others) Then finishes with some terrific meat on Amari Rodgers and how he fits into our puzzle.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...-rodgers-out-of-yac-and-mediocre-quarterbacks

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts