8-8, if lucky

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of now, I see us going 11-5 (if things go our way) or 9-7 (if they dont)

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see it. Not on Dec 28. They're a dome team with a horrible outdoor record and a horrible Lambeau record. At the end of the day, Stafford is still Stafford and he fades, predictably so, as the season wears on.

Their offense hasn't been good this season so far but their defense is ranked #1. If their offense improves as well they'll be a really dangerous team.

Some people will say this is too optimistic but looking at our schedule all of are tougher games are at home. New Orleans is on the verge of imploding. They just lost Jarius Byrd for the season and they look to be our toughest road game ahead. We get the NFC south who is soft this year and the Pat's look to be on the ropes.

I know this is a "any given Sunday league" but Packer teams with Aaron Rodgers don't have a lot of huge let downs against teams they should beat. I could easily see 12-4 and maybe better especially if the D plays like it did last night.

Take a look at the Lions schedule, their toughest games for the rest of the season are at Arizona, New England and Lambeau. I expect them to hang around the top of the North until the end of the season.

Reaction score
As of now, I see us going 11-5 (if things go our way) or 9-7 (if they dont)
I had us at 11-5 before week 1. After week 2 I pondered 10-6 in a conversation where others were making revisions on the fly. I've got Detroit at 10-6, IMO, so they're gonna be in contention last qtr of the season for the division. This may very well pan out like the 2010 season with 2 teams from the N making playoffs.

Reaction score
I don't see it. Not on Dec 28. They're a dome team with a horrible outdoor record and a horrible Lambeau record. At the end of the day, Stafford is still Stafford and he fades,predictably so, as the season wears on.
GPG, I will gladly concede if you are right.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look , if this team ends up 8-8, it'll be because they were hit by a streak of injuries like last season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
can't be. sir bob has the best contacts in football.:whistling:
Name a Packers beat writer with better contacts in the NFL. Better yet, join a chat with one of the others and ask them generally about McGinn and/or his contacts.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Name a Packers beat writer with better contacts in the NFL. Better yet, join a chat with one of the others and ask them generally about McGinn and/or his contacts.

Amen, Jack. If you disagree with Bob, fine. But to say a man with his time in, his contacts, and the overall outstanding job he's done over many years is some know nothing clown to be dismissed out of hand is laughable

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the start of the season I predicted the Pack to finish 13-3, I'll say 11-5/12-4, but that WK17 game will decide the division and the difference between home playoff game or road game. I must admit before WK3 against the Lions I dreamed of the WK17 game, when I dream about the Pack it usually comes true and in that dream the Packers lost 27-24.

Sky King

Reaction score
Much agreed. His podcasts with Tyler Dunne are revealing of his personality and insightful of his integrity, something that cannot translate adequately through print media alone. He's a reporter, not a fan, as all good reporters must be. It's a misrepresentation of fact to attribute that "8-8" opinion as being McGinn's. He merely reported the opinion of another.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen, Jack. If you disagree with Bob, fine. But to say a man with his time in, his contacts, and the overall outstanding job he's done over many years is some know nothing clown to be dismissed out of hand is laughable

lol...that's amusing on so many fronts. You guys are pretty much making my argument for me. So he's a great reporter because he has great contacts huh? ya...alrighty then.

99% of the time they are the infamous "anonymous" sources. Do I really need to go into a long explanation on why that should mean very little to anyone? What makes you think that every time he quotes "anonymous" contacts it's somebody different? What makes you believe he has some sort of great network of contacts?

Here is a question for you? Have you ever, even once, had direct contact/dialogue with Sir Bob where you can develop a opinion of him based on that?...cuz...I have...and ya...laugh all you want. I "dismiss out of hand".:D:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sky King

Reaction score
lol...that's amusing on so many fronts. You guys are pretty much making my argument for me. So he's a great reporter because he has great contacts huh? ya...alrighty then.

99% of the time they are the infamous "anonymous" sources. Do I really need to go into a long explanation on why that should mean very little to anyone? What makes you think that every time he quotes "anonymous" contacts it's somebody different? What makes you believe he has some sort of great network of contacts?

Here is a question for you? Have you ever, even once, had direct contact/dialogue with Sir Bob where you can develop a opinion of him based on that?...cuz...I have...and ya...laugh all you want. I "dismiss out of hand".:D:laugh::laugh::laugh:
How ironic. That last comment makes you an anonymous source.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
99% of the time they are the infamous "anonymous" sources. Do I really need to go into a long explanation on why that should mean very little to anyone?
Yes you do. The only way to find out what personnel people employed by other NFL teams think about the Packers players is via anonymity. Do I really need to go into a long explanation on why that is the case? (For example, why did perhaps the most famous anonymous source, Mark Felt, require anonymity?) One reason I can think of not to want to read those opinions is you distrust the reporter; you probably do but I trust McGinn to accurately relate what they say because there’s no reason for him not to. Another reason some may not want to read those opinions of is some fans don’t want to read or hear any objective opinions of the team they follow.

Of course he's not a great reporter only because of his contacts. McGinn has been writing about the Packers for about 35 years and as I’ve written before when I first read his stuff what impressed me most was his objectivity and analysis. At the time, most of the reporters wrote as if they were fans of the Packers. That’s fine for team broadcasters like Larrivee and McCarren, but the best sports writers attempt to be as objective as possible. McGinn was also one of the first I read who wrote extensively about line play. Currently his relating of how other NFL personnel pros rate the Packers, his analysis of opponents and his reviews after games is must reading IMO.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see it. Not on Dec 28. They're a dome team with a horrible outdoor record and a horrible Lambeau record. At the end of the day, Stafford is still Stafford and he fades, predictably so, as the season wears on.

Agreed. Packers and Lions both 3-2. The Lions have already played 3 home games, the Packers 2. The Lions have to go to Atlanta, Arizona, and New England yet, then finish the season with a brutal cold weather schedule @ Chicago and @ Green Bay. They'll likely fade.

The Packers toughest remaining road games are probably @ a struggling Saints team and @ Buffalo.

Every year we panic about the Lions and say "look out for the Lions" and every year, they disappoint. I'm not saying this couldn't be the year they finally do something but there's nothing about their overall play so far that makes me think they've put themselves in position to be the favorites in the North.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions beat us with Rodgers, we only scored 7 points, and we still can't block their front four....i'm not worried but i don't see them losing any games in the North unless it's against us when they come to our place...stranger things have happened tho Calvin Johnson being out wil undoubtedly hurt their offense.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions beat us with Rodgers, we only scored 7 points, and we still can't block their front four....i'm not worried but i don't see them losing any games in the North unless it's against us when they come to our place...stranger things have happened tho Calvin Johnson being out wil undoubtedly hurt their offense.

One game, in their place. Yes we played a very poor game (offensively). I would expect different results in December. Detroit simply isn't built for the cold weather late in the season and didn't win a game in December last year.

Certainly stranger things have happened and a lot could happen between now and then, but as of right now I'd be surprised if they win a December 21st game in Chicago. That'll be a very challenging environment for them.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes you do. The only way to find out what personnel people employed by other NFL teams think about the Packers players is via anonymity. Do I really need to go into a long explanation on why that is the case? (For example, why did perhaps the most famous anonymous source, Mark Felt, require anonymity?) One reason I can think of not to want to read those opinions is you distrust the reporter; you probably do but I trust McGinn to accurately relate what they say because there’s no reason for him not to. Another reason some may not want to read those opinions of is some fans don’t want to read or hear any objective opinions of the team they follow.

Of course he's not a great reporter only because of his contacts. McGinn has been writing about the Packers for about 35 years and as I’ve written before when I first read his stuff what impressed me most was his objectivity and analysis. At the time, most of the reporters wrote as if they were fans of the Packers. That’s fine for team broadcasters like Larrivee and McCarren, but the best sports writers attempt to be as objective as possible. McGinn was also one of the first I read who wrote extensively about line play. Currently his relating of how other NFL personnel pros rate the Packers, his analysis of opponents and his reviews after games is must reading IMO.

Totally missing my point. All I am saying is that he could be, and probably is, often getting info from the same few guys. It would mean more to me if I knew it wasn't the same few guys. Also, why do I care what some anonymous source says when I can't even decide for myself if I even respect the source?

I remember Andrew Brandt talking about this a few years ago. Somebody asked him why he wanted to get into reporting and sports media and he said just that. He said..."I often read entire articles, written by somebody else, using all information I provided - so why not just give it first hand!"

I'm even OK with anonymous source quotes, to a degree, when they indicate who it is in certain situations and when it comes from somebody with a track record of solid information. As in a report from Glazer..."An anonymous source inside the San Fran organization confirms that Harbaugh is not coming back in 2015" ...as opposed to McGinn writing - "An executive from an AFC team states that Eddie Lacey is running great and the O-Line is the problem".

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two thoughts:

McGinn is often accused of being to critical of the Packers, and conversely Vic Ketchman of Packers.com is often accused of being too much of a homer. They are often ridiculed for each of their respective opinions, yet both seem to be quality reporters IMO.

The second: New Orleans is 18-0 in their last 18 home games under head coach Sean Payton. Record aside, this is a tough team to go in there and beat. One of the best homefield advantages aside from Seattle.

Members online

Latest posts