5th Year Option....Could It Equal a Trade Back for the Pack?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard a curious take this morning on Mike & Mike...and I've read about it couple weeks back; many think that the fact 1st rounders give teams that 5th year option (contract wise) means some may really try to move up into the last 8 or so picks of the 1st round with that in mind.

Some prime candidates brought up by the "experts" are:

Cowboys....sitting at #4 is not when they'll draft one, my money is on Bosa or Elliot. However, trading back into the 1st with their high pick 2nd rounder and say a 3rd or a 4th could get them a Prescott, Cook, Lynch or Hackenberg.....grabbing them a QB to groom as Romo's time is running out, and give them the 5th year option.

49ers....rumored as well to be thinking QB is a must...however no one can justify grabbing one at their pick with Goff and Wentz going to be long gone. Definitely a candidate to attempt a similar trade to the one discussed above.

Browns & Broncos tend to the be candidates everyone is saying may try to move up and definitely make a play at Lynch (or another).

Some other teams that could do something similar and not shock people would be Texans or Saints...as their QB window isn't exactly shiny down the road.

Thoughts? I've been thinking and if (ILBs worth #27) like Ragland are gone, and the DE/DT types like Billings/Nkemdiche or the likes are gone as well.....I'm thinking TT's best move may be to answer a phone call from one of these teams.....to me the likelihood someone calls us for our #27 pick to hop up and reach for a QB is 50/50....question is will they give us enough to justify it?

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard a curious take this morning on Mike & Mike...and I've read about it couple weeks back; many think that the fact 1st rounders give teams that 5th year option (contract wise) means some may really try to move up into the last 8 or so picks of the 1st round with that in mind.

Cowboys....sitting at #4 is not when they'll draft one, my money is on Bosa or Elliot. However, trading back into the 1st with their high pick 2nd rounder and say a 3rd or a 4th could get them a Prescott, Cook, Lynch or Hackenberg.....grabbing them a QB to groom as Romo's time is running out, and give them the 5th year option.

49ers....rumored as well to be thinking QB is a must...however no one can justify grabbing one at their pick with Goff and Wentz going to be long gone. Definitely a candidate to attempt a similar trade to the one discussed above.

Browns & Broncos tend to the be candidates everyone is saying may try to move up and definitely make a play at Lynch (or another).

Some other teams that could do something similar and not shock people would be Texans or Saints...as their QB window isn't exactly shiny down the road.

Thoughts? I've been thinking and if (ILBs worth #27) like Ragland are gone, and the DE/DT types like Billings/Nkemdiche or the likes are gone as well.....I'm thinking TT's best move may be to answer a phone call from one of these teams.....to me the likelihood someone calls us for our #27 pick to hop up and reach for a QB is 50/50....question is will they give us enough to justify it?

It's an interesting scenario, although it does depend on a lot of "ifs". If a coveted quarterback (presumably Lynch) is still on the board, if the player the Packers covet is gone, if a deal can be worked out, etc. Ted does like to have as many picks as he can reasonably lay his hands on, so it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

The Patriots, I believe, have multiple second-round picks, so they could be a potential trade partner, although quarterback is not a big need for them. If they have their eye on someone else and if they drop to #27..........

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an interesting scenario, although it does depend on a lot of "ifs". If a coveted quarterback (presumably Lynch) is still on the board, if the player the Packers covet is gone, if a deal can be worked out, etc. Ted does like to have as many picks as he can reasonably lay his hands on, so it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

The Patriots, I believe, have multiple second-round picks, so they could be a potential trade partner, although quarterback is not a big need for them. If they have their eye on someone else and if they drop to #27..........

This is true, there is potential a different position player stays on the board and someone like NE calls...but this scenario revolves highly around QB.

The fact that everyone knows Wentz and Goff are gone #1 and #2 could force some teams with QB needs to really eye getting back into the late 1st prior to when they really "should" in most minds target say Lynch or even a Cook or Hackenberg if they are high on them.

Honestly, after reviewing some of the draft boards and positions...unless a sure thing along the DT or Ragland/Jack are there, I'm 100% in support of moving back into the 2nd + (additional whatever picks). At this point it would also appear a run on WRs is projected late 1st round by some....another position of covet some team may be willing to roll a trade on.

I think TT will get calls for sure...the question is can he play them in our favor more than they should be haha!?

H

HardRightEdge

Some other teams that could do something similar and not shock people would be Texans or Saints...as their QB window isn't exactly shiny down the road.I

I think Mike & Mike are running out of things to talk about as the clock ticks down to the draft.

The 5th. year options are not exactly cheap:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...fifth-year-options-for-2012-first-round-picks

In the case of the #27 pick, thinking you can predict a low first round pick will be a 5th. year bargain after their 3rd. season when the option needs to be exercised is somewhere between total guesswork and hubris.

If it ever came into play it would be just below the top 10 cutoff to lower option pay levels.

If trades around the bottom of the first round will be more in play this year it would be because it is a weak draft.

From the Packer perspective, there is a very good chance what's left on the board at #27 will not be a particularly attractive value proposition to fill needs. A trade down might look attractive. But wanting to do that and finding a trading partner in a tight time frame is easier said than done.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Mike & Mike are running out of things to talk about as the clock ticks down to the draft.

The 5th. year options are not exactly cheap:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...fifth-year-options-for-2012-first-round-picks

In the case of the #27 pick, thinking you can predict a low first round pick will be a 5th. year bargain after their 3rd. season when the option needs to be exercised is somewhere between total guesswork and hubris.

If it ever came into play it would be just below the top 10 cutoff to lower option pay levels.

If trades around the bottom of the first round will be more in play this year it would be because it is a weak draft.

True, the 5th year option is just a small factor...however we know the coveted QB position and the 5th year is cheaper in their cases than resigning a huge contract if they are going to be or are by then your starter.

I think it is more of a factor this year simply because of the fact Goff and Wentz are going well before perhaps they should...causing a little "panic" possibly amongst other teams.

H

HardRightEdge

True, the 5th year option is just a small factor...however we know the coveted QB position and the 5th year is cheaper in their cases than resigning a huge contract if they are going to be or are by then your starter.

I think it is more of a factor this year simply because of the fact Goff and Wentz are going well before perhaps they should...causing a little "panic" possibly amongst other teams.
I don't doubt that teams will reach for QBs, which Goff and Wentz already happen to be. I doubt the 5th. year option weighs on any GM's mind.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still of the mindset if no DT/ILB are there we want at 27, but Corey Coleman is, we draft Coleman.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still of the mindset if no DT/ILB are there we want at 27, but Corey Coleman is, we draft Coleman.

I don't believe Coleman will be...but if we don't get a good trade offer, I would be smiling with the pick of Coleman there given the situation described.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don´t think the fifth year option is a deciding factor in a general manager making deals during the draft. While there´s always a lot of speculation about Thompson trading out of the first round you have to realize that he has only done it once during 11 drafts moving back six spots in 2008 to select Jordy Nelson. It´s highly unlikely the Packers will give up their first rounder.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t think the fifth year option is a deciding factor in a general manager making deals during the draft. While there´s always a lot of speculation about Thompson trading out of the first round you have to realize that he has only done it once during 11 drafts moving back six spots in 2008 to select Jordy Nelson. It´s highly unlikely the Packers will give up their first rounder.

I bottom line agree, the chances are most likely more in favor of us not than that we do. However, I truly feel this draft sets us up more so for it....I would bet our phone rings...however that deal has to be decent and certain players/positions have to be off the board for me to support such a move.

Members online