Slim pickings for UFA ILB's

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't risk Rolando McClain. Hes the type of player that could regress. Even though he played damn good last season for the Cowgirls.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Willis would be a great player for us, but he's 30. Ideally I'd want someone younger, but there's not much younger with comparable talent, sadly.

Spikes is a Thumper and I don't know how he is in coverage.

Mclain did have a good year, but he'll be expensive.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No thanks on Willis for that cost.

Hopefully this becomes the new what are we going to do at center? As that worked out well

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have to wait a few weeks to see if any ILBs get cut. TT will be much more likely to go after any guys who were cut due to comp pick reasons.

H

HardRightEdge

Willis is due $8+ mil this year and $9+ next year.
Yeah, and the Packers just saved $7.5 mil in cutting Hawk and Jones. There's the added knock on affect of freeing up the 1st. round pick to fill a need at any of a number of positions depending on how the incumbent free agent negotiations go...NT, cover corner, WR, RT.

I've seen a lot of speculation as to how SF will fix their serious cap problem, including letting go FAs, cutting vets and renegotiating contracts including names like Gore, Crabtree, Davis, Iupati, Lloyd, Stevie Johnson, Brooks. They've got a couple of young corners with some promise that are FAs as well.

In all of it, I've seen not a hint or whisper that the 49ers might consider a trade of Willis. So while I find such a trade intriguing, it does not look to be in the cards.

D

Deleted member 6794

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2015ILB.php

I guess Brandon Spikes is the only one on that list that excites me.

Spikes is the best free agent ILB but he´s a two down player who´s a liability in coverage.

In all of it, I've seen not a hint or whisper that the 49ers might consider a trade of Willis. So while I find such a trade intriguing, it does not look to be in the cards.

49ers GM Trent Baalke said at the combine that he expects to have Willis back for 2015 but somehow they have to save some cap space so I wouldn´t exclude the possibility of the Niners listen to offers for him.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Willis is due $8+ mil this year and $9+ next year.

None of it guaranteed if I remember right, just freed up that 8 million cutting Hawk/Jones and if it doesn't work you cut him after 2015. It makes too much sense not to do it IMO, assuming ofcourse SF is willing to deal him.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's also the factor if 49ers consider themselves considers still who just had one bad season.

If they do, I don't see them trading a good player to possibly the best team in the NFC.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would have loved to have the Patrick Willis of 2 or 3 years ago.
Now, not so much.

H

HardRightEdge

There's also the factor if 49ers consider themselves considers still who just had one bad season.

If they do, I don't see them trading a good player to possibly the best team in the NFC.
I would not have suggested the Willis trade were it not for:

1) They're at a $148 mil cap number before signing any of their free agents.
2) Borland had a fine performance last season filling in for Bowman. They have 3 quality ILBs...Borland, Bowman and Willis.
3) A Willis trade would give them $7.4 mil in cap space. Dispensing with Bowman or Borland yields negative or negligible cap savings, respectively.
4) This is a team with 4 of their top 5 receivers either FAs, needing to be renegotiated or needing to be replaced.
5) This is a team with an aging feature back that needs to be renegotiated or replaced.
6) This is a team with two young FA corners that need to be signed; otherwise that's another position group cupboard gone bare.

Certainly the core of the 49ers has been their linebacker group. But I fail to see how they can sustain a surfeit of ILBs where there are so many question marks at other positions and no cap space to get it done.

They have a ton of work to do before March 10 in trying to get guys signed or renegotiated; it can't all get done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not have suggested the Willis trade were it not for:

1) They're at a $148 mil cap number before signing any of their free agents.
2) Borland had a fine performance last season filling in for Bowman. They have 3 quality ILBs...Borland, Bowman and Willis.
3) A Willis trade would give them $7.4 mil in cap space. Dispensing with Bowman or Borland yields negative or negligible cap savings, respectively.
4) The is a team with 4 of their top 5 receivers either FAs, needing to be renegotiated or needing to be replaced.
5) This is a team with an aging feature back that needs to be renegotatiated or replaced.
6) This is a team with two young FA corners that need to be signed; otherwise that's another position group cupboard gone bare.

Certainly the core of the 49ers has been their linebacker group. But I fail to see how they can sustain a surfeit of ILBs where there are so many question marks at other positions and no cap space to get it done.

They have a ton of work to do before March 10 in trying to get guys signed or renegotiated; it can't all get done.

Wow they have a lot of work to do. It does make sense for them to get rid of Willis. I just don't see the Packers being the team to make a deal.

H

HardRightEdge

Wow they have a lot of work to do. It does make sense for them to get rid of Willis. I just don't see the Packers being the team to make a deal.
Frankly, I don't either, even if they should.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need bodies at ILB. It is going to take a combination of free agents and draft picks to fill the positions. I'd be open to Willis. When healthy, he's the best ILB in the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would have loved to have the Patrick Willis of 2 or 3 years ago.
Now, not so much.

Willis is still an elite ILB.

Thompson should strongly consider making a trade for Willis if he's available though. Taking a look at the depth at NT in this year's draft the Packers could be forced to spend their first round pick to upgrade the position. There's no guarantee an impact ILB will be available in the second round so while it's possible to get a promising prospect later in the draft the position would have to be upgraded with a veteran for the 2015 season. There's not a single guy close to Willis' talent level available in free agency.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thompson should strongly consider making a trade for Willis if he's available though. Taking a look at the depth at NT in this year's draft the Packers could be forced to spend their first round pick to upgrade the position. There's no guarantee an impact ILB will be available in the second round so while it's possible to get a promising prospect later in the draft the position would have to be upgraded with a veteran for the 2015 season. There's not a single guy close to Willis' talent level available in free agency.

I think you overestimate how much TT drafts for need. He won't go into round 1 thinking they have to pick a NT, especially at the end of the first when the draft can go many different ways.

While there is no free agent like Willis, there are also much younger and cheaper guys out there who haven't been hurt.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you overestimate how much TT drafts for need. He won't go into round 1 thinking they have to pick a NT, especially at the end of the first when the draft can go many different ways.

If Thompson doesn´t upgrade the NT position during free agency the first round will be the only opportunity to do so in the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

So if at pick 30 there are no 1st round NTs left, he should pick one anyway?

:rolleyes: Geez, if the Packers don´t upgrade the position in free agency and let Raji and Guion walk away I hope there will be a talented NT available at #30. The position could be a major questionmark going into the season if Goldman and Davis are off the board by the time the Packers pick.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Geez, if the Packers don´t upgrade the position in free agency and let Raji and Guion walk away I hope there will be a talented NT available at #30. The position could be a major questionmark going into the season if Goldman and Davis are off the board by the time the Packers pick.

That makes more sense.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But Ted doesn't draft for need. If a NT is the BPA at #30 he will take him if its a LB he will take him if its a WR or a RB he will take him (if he can't trade the pick) Right, isn't that what everyone always said about Ted. He is a BPA guy all the way? I don't believe it but that's what I have always heard.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While there is no free agent like Willis, there are also much younger and cheaper guys out there who haven't been hurt.

sorry, should have read all the posts before I made my previous post.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts