McGinn Goes Off

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely disagree with him as far as the play calling. Yes, MM is great at offense, but all of his staff learned from him and he'll still be heavily involved. Won't even change much.

Here’s what Peter King said, “The only thing Coach McCarthy does better than call plays is lead a football team. Better that he should lead the entire team all the time.”

And Vic from Packers.com, “Offense hasn’t been a problem. Defense and special teams have been the problem, and nobody can address a problem better than the head coach because he’s the guy every player fears.”

If MM is such a great leader, I see no reason why he shouldn't focus on the team's problem areas some more.

MplsPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About done with his columns, seems like they are written just to generate controversy. He the local Skip Bayless now? McCarthy was/is not the problem, lack of execution was the problem. Coaches don't play, it's not Madden.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with McGinn on criticizing McCarthy for promoting Zook to special teams coordinator. First of all he was part of the problem last year and there would have been better coaches available.

I've been advocating for MM to give up play calling for quite some time so I'm obviously fine with his decision.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been calling for years for McCarthy to give up the play calling and focus on being head coach of the WHOLE team.
The fact that there were a few special teams coaches who had superlative backgrounds with special teams available and McCarthy didn't even make a phone call is concerning to me.
I've had a very strong allegiance to McCarthy over the years, but it has been slipping ever since the playoff loss to the Giants after the 15-1 season. It was apparent to me during warm ups prior to the game (I was there) that that team was not prepared to play in such a big game.
BTW, I was disappointed to see the same lackadaisical attitude during warm ups prior to this years Jets game. I told my buddies that they were going to lose based on what I was seeing during those warm ups. I almost walked out after the 1st quarter.
Hopefully the Zook hiring will work out and McCarthy's pledge to be more involved with all aspects of the team will restore my faith in Mike.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Like some of you, I agree with McGinn about the lack of a search for a STC but disagree about McCarthy giving up play calling. As I've posted many times here I think we are extremely fortunate to have a writer like McGinn covering the Packers. IMO his positives outweigh his negatives by a very wide margin.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough Jack. I'm willing to give MM a pass on both accounts and see where the chips fall after next season. MM has made a statement about fixing the offense and he has, the defense and they have, and now special teams. The guy's little finger knows more about football than I ever will in the long run at some point we have to trust the professionals to know their jobs the best. I remember a while back lots of people were on him about Mason Crosby and how did that work out?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I think "the view" from their perch up in the pressbox is pretty cool. They have the life... stir up controversy and not have to take their type of scrutiny after wins and losses. Nice gig if you can get it. Same goes for posters on internet forums. I'll take McCarthy and Thompson over McGinn any day.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Like some of you, I agree with McGinn about the lack of a search for a STC but disagree about McCarthy giving up play calling. As I've posted many times here I think we are extremely fortunate to have a writer like McGinn covering the Packers. IMO his positives outweigh his negatives by a very wide margin.
I agree. I just though it was interesting McGinn went off twice on McCarthy in two days. There's some pent up frustration from the playoff loss in this writing and a hint of panic:

"The worst thing would be if one of McCarthy's reasons for giving up something he not only loved but was exceptional at was a response to the hail of criticism.

Contract extension or not, there's some heat like never before on McCarthy. Some fans will never forget this Super Bowl that got away regardless of McCarthy's many achievements.

Say the Packers make the playoffs for a seventh straight season in 2015 but are eliminated in unsatisfying fashion a step or two before the Super Bowl in Santa Clara, Calif. Rodgers will be another year older, and the clamoring probably would only intensify for change, change and more change."

I'm waiting for his piece dismantling the defense as not championship caliber. That might be constructive.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not a Mike McCarthy lover like most Packer fans. Mike McCarthy has a reputation of being an idiot in big games. He may be a good play caller but he doesn't now how to call plays when a game is on the line. Maybe he should quit and become an offensive coordinator some where. I'm still so disgusted with him. It is starting to sound like Ted Thompson and other management are starting to see him for what he is too. Maybe the whole organization isn't as stupid as I thought it was. I'm sure Ted Thompson talked to Mike McCarthy about giving up his play calling. Let's not also forget MM's stupid "I wanted to run the ball 20 times in the second half" bull **** after the Seattle game. They could cut everybody on this team but as long as he is coach, we are forever doomed.
By the way McGinn is clueless. He spent half the article saying how bad Mike McCarthy is then says he shouldn't give up the play calling. Moron.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM did himself no favors with his post game comments. But we were all in shock so that can be forgiven or forgotten. As for MM giving up play calling, I'm all for it if it helps the whole team. How could he not know CMIII was on the sidelines, or that Richard Sherman was playing with one arm? That's probably a failure of the whole staff, including player CMIII who should have been yelling to get back in.

Promoting Zook without at least interviewing a few others was a bad call. I don't get it. Finally, on the subject of conservative play calling - MM couldn't win. If ARod had thrown an incompletion we'd be calling for MM's head for not running. But the three straight runs after Burnett's pic was inexcusable. That was the time to throw it downfield. Seattle wasn't afraid to play for a win in OT. If the Packers had won that flip, I'm certain MM would have played for a field goal. I can't stand Pete Carroll, but he coached to win in OT, and it worked. Sorry to say it, but all that "we were the best team" bologna means nothing. The only thing that matters is winning, and that is exactly what Seattle did.

But I was cheering wildly when Wilson threw that pic at the goal line in the SB. Nothing the Packers did in losing to the Seahawks was as bad as that play. And credit Bellichik for knowing EXACTLY what was going on and letting the clock run, forcing the Hawks to pass once.

I'm done. Looking forward to next season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I am not a Mike McCarthy lover like most Packer fans. Mike McCarthy has a reputation of being an idiot in big games. He may be a good play caller but he doesn't now how to call plays when a game is on the line. Maybe he should quit and become an offensive coordinator some where. I'm still so disgusted with him. It is starting to sound like Ted Thompson and other management are starting to see him for what he is too. Maybe the whole organization isn't as stupid as I thought it was. I'm sure Ted Thompson talked to Mike McCarthy about giving up his play calling. Let's not also forget MM's stupid "I wanted to run the ball 20 times in the second half" bull **** after the Seattle game. They could cut everybody on this team but as long as he is coach, we are forever doomed.
By the way McGinn is clueless. He spent half the article saying how bad Mike McCarthy is then says he shouldn't give up the play calling. Moron.
McCarthy's far from perfect but IMO it takes an incredible lack of perspective to write this post. After reading what you wrote about McCarthy I was happy to see your opinion of McGinn: You are, IMO, consistently wrong.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Can you give examples of other bad decisions in big games? Where were all of them the week before vs Dallas and to win the division two weeks before that?

You're making a huge generalization off of one game.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I just though it was interesting McGinn went off twice on McCarthy in two days. There's some pent up frustration from the playoff loss in this writing and a hint of panic:

"The worst thing would be if one of McCarthy's reasons for giving up something he not only loved but was exceptional at was a response to the hail of criticism.

Contract extension or not, there's some heat like never before on McCarthy. Some fans will never forget this Super Bowl that got away regardless of McCarthy's many achievements.

Say the Packers make the playoffs for a seventh straight season in 2015 but are eliminated in unsatisfying fashion a step or two before the Super Bowl in Santa Clara, Calif. Rodgers will be another year older, and the clamoring probably would only intensify for change, change and more change."

I'm waiting for his piece dismantling the defense as not championship caliber. That might be constructive.

Sure seems like frustration to me too.

Also, McGinn is an idiot if he thinks fans' criticisms play a role in MMs decision making.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fair enough Jack. I'm willing to give MM a pass on both accounts and see where the chips fall after next season. MM has made a statement about fixing the offense and he has, the defense and they have, and now special teams. The guy's little finger knows more about football than I ever will in the long run at some point we have to trust the professionals to know their jobs the best. I remember a while back lots of people were on him about Mason Crosby and how did that work out?

While Crosby bounced back from a terrible 2012 season the Packers finished 13th and 23rd in FG percentage in 2013 and ´14 respectively. While that´s an improvement for sure it´s nothing to be proud of either.

D

Dan115

They did beat the Jets but they weren't even in the game in the 1st quarter. They were woefully unprepared to play.
And if I had walked out they would have lost, my presence inspired the win.:laugh:
If that is the case How could you possibly even think of leaving???

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you give examples of other bad decisions in big games? Where were all of them the week before vs Dallas and to win the division two weeks before that?

You're making a huge generalization off of one game.
One game? My post was pertaining to regular season games too. Where have you been the last 4 years? Remember the 15-1 season? How about that loss in the playoffs at home? How about the Bills game this past season? I'm not gonna sit here and try to prove my point to those that still have theirs blinders on. How many times has he taken his foot off the gas pedal and ended up losing the game? How about last year when Rodgers was out for weeks? What was their record then? How about the year Brady got hurt early in the season and the Patriots still went 12-4. If it wasn't was #12, this team would be like the Vikings.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One game? My post was pertaining to regular season games too. Where have you been the last 4 years? Remember the 15-1 season? How about that loss in the playoffs at home? How about the Bills game this past season? I'm not gonna sit here and try to prove my point to those that still have theirs blinders on. How many times has he taken his foot off the gas pedal and ended up losing the game? How about last year when Rodgers was out for weeks? What was their record then? How about the year Brady got hurt early in the season and the Patriots still went 12-4. If it wasn't was #12, this team would be like the Vikings.

First, if you want people to think MM takes his foot of the gas pedal and loses often you should find those games yourself and not ask someone else to do it.

If only they had won by blowout 5 times this season, consistently passed on late third downs to end games (Patriots, Dallas, Vikings, Jets), and only lost one game in which they lead late....

Secondly, nowhere in that post did you give any examples of bad decisions. You just mentioned games without talking about bad decisions in them. If you can attribute those games to bad decisions, then maybe you could actually back up your original point.

Members online

Latest posts