Packers release Brad Jones

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

Thompson thanks Brad Jones for his contributions and dedication to the Packers over the past six years.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The move results in a cap saving of $3.75 million for the Packers.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
So far the Packers have been making all the moves that I wanted them to make in the off season. Now... re-sign Cobb and I can't complain one bit.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I got a 5 spot on a wire move and the Vikings just found themselves another linebacker......

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Better late than never. I am loving the Packers' moves since the epic choke. MM and TT's decisions since that game have been spot on. Let's hope they keep it up and show Hawk the exit as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All kidding aside, Jones is a classic example of paying someone for what you hope is their potential. At the time of his new contract with GB some of us scratched our heads at that contract, but TT was no doubt hoping for his skill set to rise. He still has tread on his tires, someone will sign him for vet minimum.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Happy day.

Now get rid of the other overpaid stiff at ILB and free up some more money for worthy players.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All kidding aside, Jones is a classic example of paying someone for what you hope is their potential. At the time of his new contract with GB some of us scratched our heads at that contract, but TT was no doubt hoping for his skill set to rise. He still has tread on his tires, someone will sign him for vet minimum.

Jones was a better player at the time of signing the deal too. Somehow he got worse without being old for player.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson thanks Brad Jones for his contributions and dedication to the Packers over the past six years.

This most DEFINITELY means that we'll be in the market for an ILB either via FA or the draft. If its the draft, I think it means we'll draft one early.

In fact, I bet we get two new ILB's. One in FA and one in the draft. We need depth there now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think after Hawk is released, it will be 3-4 new ILB's we will be bringing into camp.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now if only he can get a procedure to remove the 2 bags of concrete he is dragging around behind him on the field he might just be worth bringing back.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This most DEFINITELY means that we'll be in the market for an ILB either via FA or the draft.
I think that's obvious:
Coach Mike McCarthy half-joked that at last year's NFL scouting combine he answered “seven” questions about the Packers’ safety position. “It turned out really well for us,” he said. That’s because the team drafted Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in the first round of the draft and Morgan Burnetthad a career season. Now, he’s hoping for a similar renaissance at the Packers’ inside linebacker position. He didn’t hide from the fact that this was a sore spot defensively in 2014. … “I think the inside linebacker position could probably be compared to where we were last year at the safety position,” McCarthy said.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/292776051.html

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be opposed to keeping Hawk around 1 more year. He knows the defense and the middle of the defense better than anybody, and if we're looking to bring in a new body or two, his knowledge would be nice to have and share. So long as he doesn't actually get on the field too much...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I would not be opposed to keeping Hawk around 1 more year. He knows the defense and the middle of the defense better than anybody, and if we're looking to bring in a new body or two, his knowledge would be nice to have and share. So long as he doesn't actually get on the field too much...

The Packers save $3.5 million in cap space by releasing Hawk, this is a no-brainer.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Hawk absolutely must be cut. If he wants to come back the next day on a veteran's minimum then fine.

In this case the Packers could renegotiate Hawk's contract but he would still count at least $2.47 million vs. the cap. No, thanks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was all in favor of cutting Hawk and bringing him back at Vet. Min until I read Captain's post. If that is the case, he isn't worth the additional $2.47 million. Thank you for your service as a Packer A.J.

Members online

Latest posts