53 man roster for 2022

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad they haven't signed King - I agree, probably some team will have some injuries or whatever and get desperate enough. I don't think our Corner depth is all that bad behind the big three. Nixon should be decent. Apparently that speed burner, Gafford is back at Corner, and of course Jean-Charles - if he was all that worthless, they wouldn't have kept him this long.

About 31 other teams would kill to have what the Packers have at Corner.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad they haven't signed King - I agree, probably some team will have some injuries or whatever and get desperate enough. I don't think our Corner depth is all that bad behind the big three. Nixon should be decent. Apparently that speed burner, Gafford is back at Corner, and of course Jean-Charles - if he was all that worthless, they wouldn't have kept him this long.

I agree and if King isn't on the GB roster this year - well my heart won't be broken. And it would be good for him I think to find a new place to play.

OP
OP
Sanguine camper

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember King playing very well on special teams. They need people on ST that are more than just a body. That approach has failed miserably. Some GM will get desperate after injuries and bring him in. Right now, there isn't a team in the league that wants him. The Packers passed up HOF talent TJ Watt to draft King. That ranks up there with the Mandarich selection or Hadl trade as one of the worst GM moves in team history. If the Packers had even an average CB against the Bucs in the NFCCG 2 years ago. they likely don't give up two td's on glaring mistakes by King and win the game.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember King playing very well on special teams. They need people on ST that are more than just a body. That approach has failed miserably. Some GM will get desperate after injuries and bring him in. Right now, there isn't a team in the league that wants him. The Packers passed up HOF talent TJ Watt to draft King. That ranks up there with the Mandarich selection or Hadl trade as one of the worst GM moves in team history. If the Packers had even an average CB against the Bucs in the NFCCG 2 years ago. they likely don't give up two td's on glaring mistakes by King and win the game.
Nice summary and agree completely. It's not King's fault that TT passed on TJ Watt to take him. It was a case of reaching and drafting for need rather than BPA, although TJ has exceeded all expectations.

So in a way I feel bad for King because he's got a lot of fans upset with him. You're right, his play against TB cost GB a SB trip. At the same time, he's just a guy (at best) talent-wise. He'll be better off somewhere else, and so will the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd be interested in King at the veteran minimum, but no more.

I would be fine with signing King to a reasonable deal but definitely don't expect him to agree to a veteran mimimum contract.

I don't remember King playing very well on special teams. They need people on ST that are more than just a body. That approach has failed miserably.

King actually didn't play that much on special teams while with the Packers (only 176 snaps in five seasons).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with signing King to a reasonable deal but definitely don't expect him to agree to a veteran mimimum contract.

King actually didn't play that much on special teams while with the Packers (only 176 snaps in five seasons).
I don't think King will accept the veteran minimum either. So he'll get somewhere between, say $2 mil and $4 mil - something like that. We probably disagree on this - I want him playing somewhere else. Some players, fairly or not, get a bad reputation with their teams. This is subjective stuff. He just has a lot of bad mojo associated with him. His mistakes during the NFCCG against TB, and being unfairly associated with the Packers NOT taking TJ Watt. That's not King's fault. But fans associate him with it. If he goes somewhere where they don't know him (anywhere but GB), he can get a fresh start.

Reaction score

That might be the thinking. Similar to WR just staying pat. If they feel somewhat confident in the guys who are vying for playing time, then bide our time. If things get Dicey such as from an injury? King is going to assimilate very quickly, provided he’s available.

Reaction score
I agree but it did not seem to take Douglas long.
Good point. That kid is just such a blessing. I was going back and watching his highlights in GB. I confess, I caught myself rewatching several plays over because that GB crowd went absolutely nuts. He made some big time plays. I hate to make the comparison because we’re talking about a HOF player in Charles Woodson.. but Rasul is near identical size and kinda reminds me of a poor man’s Woodson. Woodson film happened to be near Rasuls highlights and there’s some undeniable similarities in their aggressive style (although Woodson was a master of forcing fumbles)
If Rasul continues on his warpath, he will have a long lucrative career in the this league.

Rasul was named an All-Big 12 college CB and led the Nation (tied) with 8 INT in 2016. He had 5 INT in 9 starts last season with GB, plus 2 TD’s and 105 yards. Thats definitive proof that he can be successful at the NFL level. We got ourselves a bonafide top 100 draft selection (playing like a Day 1 pick) that is now fully primed and fits perfectly in GB. We’ve got a Big Time secondary.. on paper anyway they look arguably like one of the tops in the league. I saw where PFF moved our D into the top 5 placing. I’m thinking this is equivalent to our 2009 unit, give or take, but a slightly better secondary

We also won’t need an elite WR room to be highly successful, our attention is on the wrong group imo. We’re so used to our Offense carrying this team that we’ve all been largely distracted from what’s just transpired. I’m going with 17-19 points allowed per game by seasons end.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. That kid is just such a blessing. I was going back and watching his highlights in GB. He made some big time plays. I hate to make the comparison because we’re talking about a HOF player in Charles Woodson.. but Rasul is near identical size and kinda reminds me of a poor man’s Woodson. If Rasul continues on his warpath, he will have a long lucrative career in the this league. There are only a handful of players I’ve seen in GB that have what I’d call an elite nose for the ball in coverage. Douglas is what we thought we might have in Josh Jackson.

Rasul was named an All-Big 12 college CB and led the Nation (tied) with 8 INT in 2016. He had 5 INT in 9 starts last season with GB, plus 2 TD’s and 105 yards. Thats definitive proof that he can be successful at the NFL level. We got ourselves a bonafide top 100 draft selection (playing like a Day 1 pick) that is now fully primed and fits perfectly in GB.
Yeah didn't Jackson have like 8 INTs in his last season in Iowa? Well, we can be thankful for what we have now in the secondary.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless whose is on the team when this is all over, there’s one thing we can all agree on, besides the offensive future, is this defense. I want to see what it can do now. It’s borderline elite ON PAPER. Never know. It worked in ‘10. That Super Bowl win to me was a lot to do with that defense. Getting the same feeling how this team is nicely being constructed.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless whose is on the team when this is all over, there’s one thing we can all agree on, besides the offensive future, is this defense. I want to see what it can do now. It’s borderline elite ON PAPER. Never know. It worked in ‘10. That Super Bowl win to me was a lot to do with that defense. Getting the same feeling how this team is nicely being constructed.
Agreed and the 1996-1997 SB team had an outstanding D as well. Defense wins championships. Anyone who watched the recent NBA playoffs saw that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not a single team in the NFL decided to sign free agent Kevin King. I think that tells you all you need to know what other teams think about his talent level. He's out there for the veteran minimum but nobody is kicking the tires. At this point, he'll need to wait until injuries make a GM desperate enough to sign him.

Or it could be his agent set a price for King and nobody, now, is willing to pay it. As camp &/or games begin & injuries pile-up teams may become more interested... OR his price may come down a bit.
King isn't unsigned because he can't play in the NFL, he is unsigned because rosters are full of a lot of promising new draftees and UDFA's, that teams have committed to look at. Like many have said, he is a Free Agent that has set his price high and probably isn't in any hurry to sign with the first low bidder.

Barring injury, Kevin King will be on a roster come September. If the Packers youngsters aren't looking great or there is an injury, I would love to see King back in GB at the right price.

Far too many posters are holding that Tampa Bay game and the play at the end of the first half against King. Is he a Pro Bowl CB? No. Is he a decent depth guy and part time starter, yes.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King isn't unsigned because he can't play in the NFL, he is unsigned because rosters are full of a lot of promising new draftees and UDFA's, that teams have committed to look at. Like many have said, he is a Free Agent that has set his price high and probably isn't in any hurry to sign with the first low bidder.

Barring injury, Kevin King will be on a roster come September. If the Packers youngsters aren't looking great or there is an injury, I would love to see King back in GB at the right price.

Far too many posters are holding that Tampa Bay game and the play at the end of the first half against King. Is he a Pro Bowl CB? No. Is he a decent depth guy and part time starter, yes.
I agree with your last statement. King is a decent depth guy. His problems aren't all of his own making. Yeah he made two critical errors in the NFCCG against Tampa. But so did Aaron Jones by fumbling on the first possession of the 2H. That loss was a team effort.

But because in fans' minds, TJ Watt was passed over for King, King has a lot more to live up to, and that's ********. First of all, no one knew how TJ Watt would play at the NFL level. If that we're known, he would have been picked in the top 5. King can't be blamed for that, but he is.

So overall, most fans have a dismal view of King. He needs a new start, a new environment where he doesn't have all this baggage following him. GB can always find depth at CB, so letting him go isn't a concern. And he'd be gone by now if anyone was interested.

My guess is that he starts the season unemployed. Or he may get picked up during TC if there are injuries. He'll play somewhere this year. It just won't be in GB.

Reaction score
Agreed and the 1996-1997 SB team had an outstanding D as well. Defense wins championships. Anyone who watched the recent NBA playoffs saw that.
As evidence of your post, 2 plays that were arguably in the top 5 most influential (or costly) in our playoff losses were Defensive.
The Aaron Jones fumble against Tampa and the Marcedes Lewis fumble against San Fran. Those plays took the wind from our Offenses sails on what were promising drives. I’ve noticed that colder weather makes the ball more slippery. That needs to be a focus of our Receivers if we go postseason.
2 hands securely on the ball, even if it costs us a few yards after catch.

You’ve got to have a balance on O and D, but if I had to choose? I’d rather a Defense that is stifling and can create turnovers. That was our 2010 Defense. An area I’ve noticed we can do a better job is in creating fumbles. Woodson literally had an art of punching the ball as he wrapped the player up. We need to put more emphasis there. (E.g, When Woodson went down, Greene challenged CM3 to execute that role and on the very next play he pulled a Woodson) There are several Defenses that obviously put lots of time into those drills and it’s apparent.

I’m curious at which newer Roster additions will bring that critical “turnover flavor” to the Defensive dinner table. If we pair a turnover D machine with a low turnover O? Expect lots of Wins

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But because in fans' minds, TJ Watt was passed over for King, King has a lot more to live up to, and that's ********. First of all, no one knew how TJ Watt would play at the NFL level. If that we're known, he would have been picked in the top 5. King can't be blamed for that, but he is.
Sounds like a certain QB that the Packers drafted in 2020. ;)

I actually will not be surprised if King is back playing in GB. They know exactly what they have in him, but that also helps them to set the price of what he is worth to them as well. Also, wouldn't shock me to see the Vikings, Bears or Lions sign him. Pick up a good depth guy, that is very familiar with the Packers offense and defense.

Reaction score

I actually will not be surprised if King is back playing in GB. They know exactly what they have in him, but that also helps them to set the price of what he is worth to them as well. Also, wouldn't shock me to see the Vikings, Bears or Lions sign him. Pick up a good depth guy, that is very familiar with the Packers offense and defense.
I know this part might sound like I’m demeaning King’s talent. Yet I think he’d be really good on ST. We can’t undervalue that unit by one cent. We need to give Rich the tools he needs, not to be successful, but highly successful. I’m all over King if he’d humble himself to that role in the 2-3M range. If King proved himself worthy as a notable leader on that unit, I’d give him verbal assurances of a ‘23 year extension with cost of living. We have not emphasized that unit enough and we need our Billy Bates.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well Love hasn't had a chance to show what he can do, unlike King. As long as Rodgers is playing, that won't change (barring injury). So the situations are different.

As far as keeping King, well he'll never be a fan favorite, but I don't remember how many times he was on the field last year. If he's the best guy for the job, sign him.

I don't worry too much about players going to play for opponents. They don't take the playbooks with them, and even if they did, they're useless as they always change. I would think MLF is doing a massive rewrite of the playbook this year, with a weak WR group and an improved defense. And the game plans are unique to the opponent, and they've all changed from last year.

So whatever is best for the team. If MLF and Gluten think King is the guy for depth, so be it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know this part might sound like I’m demeaning King’s talent. Yet I think he’d be really good on ST. We can’t undervalue that unit by one cent. We need to give Rich the tools he needs, not to be successful, but highly successful. I’m all over King if he’d humble himself to that role in the 2-3M range. If King proved himself worthy as a notable leader on that unit, I’d give him verbal assurances of a ‘23 year extension with cost of living. We have not emphasized that unit enough and we need our Billy Bates.
I thing King is a decent player on defense or maybe on Special Teams. I wouldn't bring him back just to play special teams though, unless it was vet minimum. The Packers will want him back in Green Bay if one of the starting CB's get injured and/or Nixon, SJC or other younger guys don't step up. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Packers bring him back now, unless his asking price is just way out of line. At least 1 starting CB seems to go down during a season, so the need for quality depth will most likely be there at some point. Midseason is a much harder time to find an instant starter at CB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well Love hasn't had a chance to show what he can do, unlike King. As long as Rodgers is playing, that won't change (barring injury). So the situations are different.
My point had nothing to do with abilities or playing time of the 2 players, it had to do with the people that hated the draft pick of King or Love from Day 1. Many of those fans tend to want to only look at the negatives of those players, while ignoring the facts that surrounded the pick, as well as what has happened since.

Reaction score
I thing King is a decent player on defense or maybe on Special Teams. I wouldn't bring him back just to play special teams though, unless it was vet minimum. The Packers will want him back in Green Bay if one of the starting CB's get injured and/or Nixon, SJC or other younger guys don't step up. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Packers bring him back now, unless his asking price is just way out of line. At least 1 starting CB seems to go down during a season, so the need for quality depth will most likely be there at some point. Midseason is a much harder time to find an instant starter at CB.
Yeah I thought similar. The other concern is there’s a reasonable chance he’s gone before that. Meaning if all he wanted was Vet minimum? I believe he’d be gone already

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All good points. And the backups for any group aren't just there for injury. They give the starters some much needed rest during the game. I've seen it too often when a D gets completely gassed in Q4. So King, or whoever gets that spot, serves more than one purpose.

As far as STs, I don't know if King played STs or how effective he was. He's certainly not a gunner. I'm sure he can help, but to what extent I'm not sure.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point had nothing to do with abilities or playing time of the 2 players, it had to do with the people that hated the draft pick of King or Love from Day 1. Many of those fans tend to want to only look at the negatives of those players, while ignoring the facts that surrounded the pick, as well as what has happened since.
That's fair. It just wasn't clear from your comment.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah I thought similar. The other concern is there’s a reasonable chance he’s gone before that. Meaning if all he wanted was Vet minimum? I believe he’d be gone already
Exactly and maybe I am wrong, but I think the Packers would gladly have King back on the team, at the right price. I don't think he will be a healthy free agent, waiting for a phone call, once the season starts. His asking price and one of the 32 teams needs, will eventually line up. Despite some fans being convinced that he is just another Quinton Rollins, Josh Jackson or Josh Jones, I strongly believe he will be in the NFL for another 5 or so years.

Reaction score
All good points. And the backups for any group aren't just there for injury. They give the starters some much needed rest during the game. I've seen it too often when a D gets completely gassed in Q4. So King, or whoever gets that spot, serves more than one purpose.

As far as STs, I don't know if King played STs or how effective he was. He's certainly not a gunner. I'm sure he can help, but to what extent I'm not sure.
As long as he doesn’t let a returner get past him he’s a pretty good downhill tackler/disruptive. Once the the ball Carrier gets past him he’s screwed. He’d be an upgrade in ST imo because he is good laterally and at diagnosing plays that are in front of him, Which is largely what ST is all about. I agree though, he’d absolutely be valuable at 4th CB, just not $5M valuable

Reaction score
Exactly and maybe I am wrong, but I think the Packers would gladly have King back on the team, at the right price. I don't think he will be a healthy free agent, waiting for a phone call, once the season starts. His asking price and one of the 32 teams needs, will eventually line up. Despite some fans being convinced that he is just another Quinton Rollins, Josh Jackson or Josh Jones, I strongly believe he will be in the NFL for another 5 or so years.
He’s better than all 3 of those examples imo.

Latest posts