52 Man Roster

GBnative

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer's roster has stood at 52 for about a week now. It is hard for me to believe that out of the 200+ guys that are on practice squads throughout the NFL, there isn't at least one guy who is worth bringing in for a 4 week tryout.

Or does this mean that nobody really wants to come to GB? That would be a real concern. The college football season is about over, so the scouting effort is certainly reduced. It would seem to be a good time to raid a practice squad or two and maybe find a prospect.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bringing a guy in at this late date will not get him on the 45 player active roster. It only costs money. Noah was brought in and activated.

In less than a month all practice squad guys are cut and rosters swell to 80.

Guys for Europe will be designated.

Do you think there is another street free agent out there like Samkon Gado?
Who would he replace?

Waste of money.

OP
OP
G

GBnative

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 31 other teams with practice squads of 5-8 guys. You don't think somebody is hiding a good prospect out there? How many current Packer starters and starters on other teams have spent time on the practice squad? A few names that immediately come to mind are KGB, Hunter Hillenmeyer, Matt Hasselback, Marco Riveria. I am sure that if you went through every team there are dozens of current starters in the NFL that at one time or another were on somebody's practice squad. This way you get to see 4 weeks of practice for a player you would not otherwise have access to because he would remain on the other teams roster.

Four game checks for a minumum salary player is what, about $30,000. As a part of an $85 million salary cap that is below noise level. Maybe it is finding a needle in a haystack, but the Packers are pretty desperate and should be pulling out all the stops.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted "found" Donald Lee, Samkon Gado, Noah Herron, Taco Wallace, Jerron Wishom, Jeremy Thornburg at no cost. He will continue to do so but like panning for gold there is a lost of wet dirt to wash away. I don't think he stopped looking but there is little rush.

I think you will be suprised by Herron next year.

Members online

Latest posts