# 5

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been 11 players who wore #44 between Anderson and Starks.

Yes, but not really constant except for Najea Davenport.
There have been 11 players who wore #44 between Anderson and Starks.

Including Davenport 2002 to 2005 there were 589 games from 1972 to 2009. #44 appeared in 178 games.....30.22 % usage. Excluding Davenports 39 games you would have 139 games out of 589 for 23.59%.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t think Donny Anderson’s number deserves any special attention. I’d chalk up how often it’s been issued since he wore it to coincidence. IMO Anderson’s induction into the Packers HOF was the proper post-career accolade – and nothing more.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think Donny Anderson’s number deserves any special attention. I’d chalk up how often it’s been issued since he wore it to coincidence. IMO Anderson’s induction into the Packers HOF was the proper post-career accolade – and nothing more.
I agree....just coincidence. Except Davenport and Starks the other nine who wore it were very low profile players whom you wouldn't notice much.

H

HardRightEdge

On the subject of Taylor's speed, check out the burst as he cuts up field in the power sweep at the 3:40 mark in this video:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Going through this entire tape, note the balance as he pinballs off defenders. He was an agile runner as well, in the few instances where he chose to cut back instead of run over guys, which wasn't that often. Hitting guys happened to be his preference.

Last edited by a moderator:

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love it. No disrespect to the Golden Boy, but he doesn't get extra credit for kicking in my book. Sex, booze and gambling? Sure I'll give him that. But not kicking.

Pound for pound, Jim Taylor was as badass as there's ever been on the football field.

"Jim Brown will give you that leg and then take it away from you. Jim Taylor will give it to you and then ram it through your chest." - Vince Lombardi

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for honoring Paul Hornung, and I agree that retiring #5 WOULD have been more appropriate than retiring #92.

Disagree. You could make a pretty good argument that Reggie White was the best who ever played his position, if not he was certainly in the top two or three. Anyone want to argue the Hornung was one of the top five running backs of all time? Don't think so.

I'm a Hornung fan, love the guy, but let's be real.

D

Deleted member 6794

Disagree. You could make a pretty good argument that Reggie White was the best who ever played his position, if not he was certainly in the top two or three. Anyone want to argue the Hornung was one of the top five running backs of all time? Don't think so.

I'm a Hornung fan, love the guy, but let's be real.

I think the reason why a lot of Packers fans didn´t like the team retiring Reggie´s number was that he only played six seasons during his 15-year career for Green Bay.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take retiring any player's number who was an important part in winning 5 Championships over anyone else. But Reggie was an important-maybe the MOST important-part of the resurrection of the franchise in the 90s. So I'm ok with retiring his number, along with the ex-Vikings' in November.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the reason why a lot of Packers fans didn´t like the team retiring Reggie´s number was that he only played six seasons during his 15-year career for Green Bay.

Hornung's career in Green Bay was nine years (he missed one season because he was suspended by the league). That's not remarkably longer than six years, IMHO. For his entire 104-game career, Hornung scored a total of 12 touchdowns. White played 95 games for the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hornung's career in Green Bay was nine years (he missed one season because he was suspended by the league). That's not remarkably longer than six years, IMHO. For his entire 104-game career, Hornung scored a total of 12 touchdowns. White played 95 games for the Packers.

Hornung scored a total of 62 touchdowns during his career. BTW I´m not suggesting White´s number shouldn´t have been retired cause wanted to give a reason to why some fans might be opposed to it.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For his entire 104-game career, Hornung scored a total of 12 touchdowns. White played 95 games for the Packers.
Horn scored 13 TDs in 1960 when he set the league scoring record of 176 points in 12 games. The record stood until Tomlinson broke it in 16 games in 2006.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hornung scored a total of 62 touchdowns during his career. BTW I´m not suggesting White´s number shouldn´t have been retired cause wanted to give a reason to why some fans might be opposed to it.

Mea Culpa, should have been 12 rushing touchdowns. He also kicked 66 field goals.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hornung was a very high profile player coming out of Notre Dame and he remained high profile in Green Bay. I don't think his stats were as good as Taylor's. I heard if you compare his stats with the others in Canton he is low in comparison. Still....he was very popular with Packer fans.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most kids my age loved the way Hornung shifted his shoulder pads after being hit. Add that to the fact that he was Lombardi's favorite made him HOF material. He is on the NFL All 60's team with LeRoy Kelly, John David Crow, Jim Brown, and Jim Taylor. Only Crow of that group is not in the Hall of Fame. There are 8 HOF running backs with worse yds/carry than Hornung's 4.2, so I say he deserves to be in it. Even if it took 20 years and 12 votes for him to be elected.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
# 5 Jersey was taken away from Ed Williams.

# 5 Jersey has not been used in a regular season game since 1988.

# 5 Jersey only used by four players for a total of 12 games since Hornung retired.

# 5 Jersey in limbo....not used, not retired.

A subtle, but not formal respect for Hornung weather he deserves it or not.

Members online

Latest posts