5 year plan

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's your ideal 5 year plan for the team?

I know some of you will say trade for a running back immediately ...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
First item of "Five year plan":

1. Chose a different time frame so it is not confused with Stalin's Five-Year Plans for the Soviet "economy" (which didn't work out very well). :D

Seriously, my ideal plan is to have Thompson stay as GM for as long as possible and continue his MO by concentrating on keeping the core of the team together while continuing to infuse the team with talent mostly via the draft and UDFAs, with a sprinkling of veteran free agents when necessary.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more my would sound boring. There are too many variables for just this coming season, let alone every potential draft and decision tree that would result, but at a high level, things I know I would do. . .

1) Sorry Driver, you don't have a place on the roster. #5 WRs are kids, not old men. thank you for your years of service good-bye

2) Build the roster more-or-less as is, but add a special caveat. If you draft a running back in round 1, he'd better be the second coming of Marshall Faulk--a complete back who will excel in our passing game. Even then, you'd better get him late. He's probably not going to get a second contract from us, so the value we'd get out of a RD1 isn't there.

3) Find Woodson's replacement, if we don't have him already.

4) Don't trade Jones this year for anything less than a #1 because....

5) As great as Jennings is, we can survive without him. He might be too expensive. I'd prefer to keep him, but if I can't, better to lose Jennings, keep Jones and pocket the difference because

6) #12 is about to become the newest $100 Millon Man.

Like I said, pretty boring.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if you are talking 5 years then I think the Packers would have to start thinking about a replacement for Rodgers sometime in that time frame as much as it pains me to think that way.

We should look for a replacement for Hawk immediately!:(

A running back that can excel at blitz pickup. ;)

mradtkee

1. Who do you think on our roster currently is a Woodson replacement? I think that guy is yet to be found.

2. Did you say trade Jones for a # 1 with tongue in cheek? He will never fetch a # 1. And Jones will never be a replacement for Jennings btw, 4.4 speed vs 4.6. Yes there's a difference.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. A successor to TT

This is the most important move Ted will make in the next 5 years and will be up there with the decision to move on from Brett. More than likely it will come in house and most likely it will be John Dorsey. Wolf has a few years to go first.

2. Replace Jennings

Possibly from inside the roster but he will be on the downswing in 5 years.

3. Evolve the team

2 TE sets will become all the rage like 3-4 defenses have become. He will need to plan for the counter point to that on defense and possibly look at acquiring another TE high in the draft.

4. Corner the market

Corners are the 2nd most important position on the field in my opinion. Treat it like such and draft them high. This defense needs another stud on their side of the ball when Charles leaves.

5. Contracts

Jennings, matthews, raji, and Rodgers will get big money. Make the numbers work.

6. Expand the revenue streams of the packers

Small market team with big dreams.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Who do you think on our roster currently is a Woodson replacement? I think that guy is yet to be found.

2. Did you say trade Jones for a # 1 with tongue in cheek? He will never fetch a # 1. And Jones will never be a replacement for Jennings btw, 4.4 speed vs 4.6. Yes there's a difference.

1) We probably don't have him, but I detest speaking in absolutes. Thus, it is possible, however unlikely we do have him on the roster now.

2) No, just saying I wouldn't trade him for less. I am saying with Jenning's potential departure AND my cutting of Driver, we are not as deep at receiver. Jones is not a replacement for Jennings, but he would be used more if/when we don't have Jennings. Should Jennings be re-signed before then, consider trading him for less IF good value could be had.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  • Expand my hand churned butter empire to northern Ashwaubenon.
  • Parlay those profits into a wager on the fixed horse team pull and Pie baking contest at Brown County Fair.
  • Buy up all the Packer stock with the proceeds.
  • Elect myself team president.
Then in August, my Packer specific plan is:

• Don't pursue any position as a 'need' position. Continue to collect the best available players.
  • Adapt the system that we run to those players.
  • Continue to analyze the NFL - anticipate what the future is bringing so you can prepare your scheme accordingly. The NFL is a copycat league and the copycats are typically always a step behind in success.
  • Try to lock up my elite players and let the 'very good' players go. We can't resign everyone, but I would rather keep a Clay Matthews and lose a Bishop/Tramon and hope DJ Smith/House can step up to the plate and keep the Packers Superbowl competitive. In 5 years there will be players who we view as 'indispensible' who will be gone - and we will find we won't miss them very much.

Packy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...five years plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains...

I enjoy the Packers game by game. I will leave the planning to TT, MM, and the Packers that matter...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm loving what I'm reading.

Some of my thoughts:

-Ted finding his replacement/understudy is a huge facet for Green Bay to stay competitive (only he knows how long he thinks he'll stay and doing this in time to teach is HUGE!)

-The WR issue with Jennings possibly being extremely expensive is one I feel TT probably knows and has a plan, even if we haven't heard or seen signs of it (perhaps the Borel and Gurley contract boost last year is a sign?)...it could be also why we haven't dealt Jones for a mid to low round pick...I see TT making our future plans clear if not this year next for sure with how he drafts and signings/extensions of other contracts.

-RB to me isn't a big deal, but one TT just needs to keep doing what he's doing. Bring in a guy every 2 to 3 years that a solid, nothing spectacular, but can get the job done and then move on once they deserve more money or get too old.

-I hate to say it but in about 4 to 5 years could it be too early to start thinking of possibly spending a 1 or 2 round draft pick on a QB if one slips again to us? This depends big time on where we are team wise and how A-rod's health and ability has held up....he shows no signs of not being able to still be an Elite QB in 5 years though. *keep it in mind though...the reason we're so good now is TT saw the future in advance and grabbed it.

-CB needs addressed! Get a big name dude in FA like we did Woodson or spend draft picks (not mid rounders either) to find a stud....in the long run it's worth the risk of wasting a pick or two.

-We need to develop or draft a STUD CENTER. End of comment for it being obvious.

Many more but I'll stop there.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would sign me, a 40 year old guy with bad knees and no experience, to a 500 million dollar 1 year contract as the 9th string kicker.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. A successor to TT

This is the most important move Ted will make in the next 5 years and will be up there with the decision to move on from Brett. More than likely it will come in house and most likely it will be John Dorsey. Wolf has a few years to go first.

2. Replace Jennings

Possibly from inside the roster but he will be on the downswing in 5 years.

3. Evolve the team

2 TE sets will become all the rage like 3-4 defenses have become. He will need to plan for the counter point to that on defense and possibly look at acquiring another TE high in the draft.

4. Corner the market

Corners are the 2nd most important position on the field in my opinion. Treat it like such and draft them high. This defense needs another stud on their side of the ball when Charles leaves.

5. Contracts

Jennings, matthews, raji, and Rodgers will get big money. Make the numbers work.

6. Expand the revenue streams of the packers

Small market team with big dreams.
speaking of expanding the revenue don't forget all the land they own. K-Mart will soon close it's doors & instead of tearing the building down u make it into like nflshop.com. Have the leather Packer recliners etc... 75-80%Packer nation then the other 20-25% all other teams. As for the rest of the land lease it out or lease the land to a big hotel/nice restaurant company. If we still have land left then go from there

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm loving what I'm reading.

Some of my thoughts:

-Ted finding his replacement/understudy is a huge facet for Green Bay to stay competitive (only he knows how long he thinks he'll stay and doing this in time to teach is HUGE!)

-The WR issue with Jennings possibly being extremely expensive is one I feel TT probably knows and has a plan, even if we haven't heard or seen signs of it (perhaps the Borel and Gurley contract boost last year is a sign?)...it could be also why we haven't dealt Jones for a mid to low round pick...I see TT making our future plans clear if not this year next for sure with how he drafts and signings/extensions of other contracts.

-RB to me isn't a big deal, but one TT just needs to keep doing what he's doing. Bring in a guy every 2 to 3 years that a solid, nothing spectacular, but can get the job done and then move on once they deserve more money or get too old.

-I hate to say it but in about 4 to 5 years could it be too early to start thinking of possibly spending a 1 or 2 round draft pick on a QB if one slips again to us? This depends big time on where we are team wise and how A-rod's health and ability has held up....he shows no signs of not being able to still be an Elite QB in 5 years though. *keep it in mind though...the reason we're so good now is TT saw the future in advance and grabbed it.

-CB needs addressed! Get a big name dude in FA like we did Woodson or spend draft picks (not mid rounders either) to find a stud....in the long run it's worth the risk of wasting a pick or two.

-We need to develop or draft a STUD CENTER. End of comment for it being obvious.

Many more but I'll stop there.
I'd wait until about 2017 to get a round 1 QB. I figure Rodgers will play until about 2020 max. That'll be 15 yrs in the league

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
speaking of expanding the revenue don't forget all the land they own. K-Mart will soon close it's doors & instead of tearing the building down u make it into like nflshop.com. Have the leather Packer recliners etc... 75-80%Packer nation then the other 20-25% all other teams. As for the rest of the land lease it out or lease the land to a big hotel/nice restaurant company. If we still have land left then go from there

They plan on it. They are also going to build n open a shopping plaza and a hotel.

They should open 2 other pro shops in the state. Madison and Milwaukee.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They plan on it. They are also going to build n open a shopping plaza and a hotel.

but isnt that what the pro shop is for? that place sells a TON of merchandise.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but isnt that what the pro shop is for? that place sells a TON of merchandise.

Your right it does. So open up two more. Why would I drive 2 hrs to go buy something at Lambeau? I mean if I'm close I will but if I can buy a jersey/shirt/ ect for the same price but without the travel I will. So open up a couple more stores so people can support the packers close to home year around.

Other teams do this, in several sports.

CheeseHead87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great idea! Walking into the Pro Shop in Lambeau is like walking into a little heaven. I just want to buy the entire place.

Stores in Milwaukee and Madison sound like potential cash cows.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your right it does. So open up two more. Why would I drive 2 hrs to go buy something at Lambeau? I mean if I'm close I will but if I can buy a jersey/shirt/ ect for the same price but without the travel I will. So open up a couple more stores so people can support the packers close to home year around.

Other teams do this, in several sports.

because if you are lucky enough to live that close to lambeau...you drive your *** to lambeau.

all joking aside, i was refering to opening another one in green bay...one in milwaukee makes total sense though.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because if you are lucky enough to live that close to lambeau...you drive your *** to lambeau.

all joking aside, i was refering to opening another one in green bay...one in milwaukee makes total sense though.

yeah thats why I just suggested 2, in madison and Milwaukee

Members online

Latest posts