5 Guys who need to step up

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5. Charles Woodson - Other than the one game where he was in the right place at the right time, Woodson has been very very average. He did this in the first couple games LAST year, but then played strong. I hope that happens soon for him. The penalties and average play are upsetting me. Maybe I'm expecting too much?

4. Al Harris - The other starting corner is suffering the same problems. He gets beat a lot lately. It seems Al(and Chuck) are getting old really fast, and while I'm sure 99% of the pf.com members think I'm WRONG here, in my opinion it is a concern.

3. Ryan Grant - This isn't a "He's playing bad right now" pick. This is a "I'd like to see more of him, and see him do well" pick. If we could get just ONE consistent running threat who can stay healthy, I think Green Bay can go all the way to the superbowl. Could the guy be Ryan Grant? Why not? We got Grant 8 days before the season started. He needed time to get familiar with the playbook, the team, get ready to be a potentially big part of the team. Here comes week 8, where injuries force him into action, and he comes up big. I know it was Denver's bad run D but Denver has nothing to do with HIS speed, and HIS intensity hitting the hole, and HIS vision and HIS cutting ability. If Grant steps up...this year could be HUGE.

2. Chad Clifton - I like Chad, but he's been getting worse all year, which is no good with young kids on the line. He's supposed to be the anchor, instead he's the albatross. He has penalties and blown plays a couple times every game it seems. Once again this could be me expecting too much. I'm just glad we have young o-linemen being groomed, waiting for their time.

1. Atari Bigby - One bad game after 5 good ones...I'll allow it. Nobody is perfect, but holy moly was Bigby BAD @ Denver. 4 penalties, every one of them costly. I know he's young, but kicking the ball after a play is over is just idiotic and on the same level of stupid as Ahm...Ahm...I can't say his name, but it's dumb. Now Bigby is physical, and he got to hitting people and pushing them when he shouldn't. This has to be fixed. If Woodson and Harris play to their potential, they will try and throw to Bigby's man\area all day long, and if he plays like this again, it will work. Aaron Rouse needs to start having some good practices to make Bigby know he can't get away with play like that ever again.

-----------------------------

Who do you guys think need to step up?

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead of Harris and Woodson, I would put Hawk and Collins. We need each to create some turnovers.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. popinga-liability in passing game
2. bush-liability where ever he is on the field
3. bigby-has troubl covereing TE over the middle of the field
4.Ryan Grant-we need someone to step up.
5.Wynn/Jackson-be nice to see one of these rookies contribute this year!

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definately agree that the corners do need to step up. I do not think they got old overnight, but it seems that they are not getting good bumps at the line of scrimmage, and do not have the speed or quickness to recover when receivers get off the line cleanly.

I would like to see Hawk take his game to the next level, he has not been bad, but he has not been outstanding either.

I will not put this in the step up category, rather the continue what we saw last night category, but in his 1st extended action of the season, Grant provided a ray of hope for the running game. This needs to continue.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the 5 guys on the OL step up, we'll be just fine.

One game view: Stupid penalties on the OL cost us 2 TDs in the first half. If those FGs were TDs, then we wouldn't have any problems with the second half -- where the defense only allowed 2 FGs.

Remaining season view: if the OL steps up consistency in run blocking and pass protection, then we have a solid balanced offense. Combine that with the solid play on defense and we'll be a force.

Defense and special teams are no longer a liability, but the offensive struggles have been a consistent problem.

GO PACK GO!!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The stupid penalties could have cost us the game last night. But there are many good points in this thread.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A.J. Hawk and Nick Collins.

couldnt agree more, tromadz thes two corners are bar none the best duo in the legue they proved it last night, i mean c wood and al both play through nagging injuroes and have not given up a huge touchdown play this year, and you can look through the stats becasue they havnt.

I couldnt be happier with the dbacks.....besides nick collins, i honestly feel like he hasnt been up to potential, however he hasnt given up many big plays either.

AJ HAWk has been absolutely a mystery, i dont know if it becasue hes juts quietly handling his business, but his name isnt being called alot during the games.

with that being said tromadz. name 5 defenses youd rather have than ours
i can think of maybe 1 or 2
patriots and jaguars

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danreb said:

couldnt agree more, tromadz thes two corners are bar none the best duo in the legue they proved it last night,

I stopped reading after that.

Harris and Woodson with the getting beat and getting penalties really showed they're the best. Bar none. Right.

I hope they improve, but...yeah, they're not playing too hot right now.

Hawk and Collins are good candidates for the step up lists. Good stuff, guys.

Bar none...LOL...wow.

Reaction score
I'd say Brett needs to step up too, I'm surprised you didn't mention him.

Brett has played great, but he missed Driver for a TD. You don't expect that from an elite QB (yes, I think Brett is still an elite QB). That TD would've been huge in sealing the game, but fortunately it didn't cost us.

Also, not a knock on Brett but Brett needs to be a leader. He's seen so much, you can judge by his interviews how valuable his experience is as the QB of this team. He needs to continue to be the leader of this offense, and continue to guide the youngsters, and spend extra time watching film/preparing to counter the inexperience of this team, especially on offense.

Brett needs to step up and continue to play at the high level he has played at most of this season. A 2/3/4 INT Brett is something we cannot afford. Bret has to be smart and know when to take his chances, and when to take the "safer" pass.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AADP. Calm down.

Brett has stepped up. All year, in fact.

My concern are the LB'ers in coverage.

Denver was throwing into the middle of the field all night last night. Who is supposed to cover those guys. I though it was the LB'ers.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brennan1884 said:
Danreb said:

couldnt agree more, tromadz thes two corners are bar none the best duo in the legue they proved it last night,

Harris and Woodson with the getting beat and getting penalties really showed they're the best. Bar none. Right.

Bar none...LOL...wow.

if thats humorous trom than tell me a better duo in the league, i mean they cant play 100 percent every game settle down man were 6-1

u sure u arnt just hungover

nleidigh319

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think that grant is gonna be a good runningback. i have faith in grant because i didnt see him give up on a run like some of our other backs have. the defensive line besides kampman and the linebackers havent been putting pressure on the quarterback. i saw a lot of plays yesterday that cutler got alot of time to pass or where they didnt tackle in the back field examples: the denver touchdown in the first quarter and the reverse play to brandon marshall that kampman had to attempt to tackle him three time and the other players didnt even touch him. we need alot of work from now until the playoffs if we expect to do anything. our defence also let denver get that last drive to tie the game also so i say not just a few people need to step it up, i say that the entire team as a whole needs to step it up. as i say football is a team game you win as a team and you lose as a team.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
brennan1884 said:
Danreb said:

Bar none...LOL...wow.

if thats humorous trom than tell me a better duo in the league, i mean they cant play 100 percent every game settle down man were 6-1

u sure u arnt just hungover

Barber\Kelly
Taylor\Townsend
Hobbs\Samuel

But that's me looking at it objectively and NOT basing it on career stats, but looking at their play THIS year.

But I'm sure I'm just hungover. Right. Bar None.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Woodson is playing better then Harris so far he isnt getting the Ints but I think he has been more shut down then Harris the only things I remember him giving up were 2 long plays early in the season when he fell down and the penaltys but not as many as Carroll got.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Poppinga - TE's dream of games against him
Collins - seems out of position time after time
Spitz - missing blocks and stupid flags
Jon Ryan - needs to learn how to corner kick for better field position
KR/PR - field position is sore in the PR department and not too great in the KR either

Hawk has been steady.
Bigby had one bad game.
Woodson has given up how many TD's this year?

I'd say Ryan Grant needs to step up too, but he just DID in his first legitimate chance.

Bush is an good mention for stepping up too. He's been scored on a few times, I believe.
Harris has given up how many TD's this year?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the corners could play a little better, but they are still the cornerstones of the defense so I'm not going to knock them. My top five players who need to step up would be these:

1. Darryn Colledge
2. Coston/Spitz
3. Brady Poppinga
4. Nick Collins
5. whoever plays halfback

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poppinga (need to cover TEs better)
AJ Hawk (needs to start playing like the fifth pick in the draft, not a fifth round pick)
Nick Collins (time to use some of that athletic ability to make some bloody plays out there).

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How many times have they gotten beat? A lot. More than someone of their caliber should. How many times have they had penalties called on them? Once again, more than should be expected by them.

I hope they turn it up like last year, and destroy people.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

How many times have they gotten beat? A lot. More than someone of their caliber should. How many times have they had penalties called on them? Once again, more than should be expected by them.

I hope they turn it up like last year, and destroy people.

Do win by gaining the most yards or points?

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5. Charles Woodson - Other than the one game where he was in the right place at the right time, Woodson has been very very average. He did this in the first couple games LAST year, but then played strong. I hope that happens soon for him. The penalties and average play are upsetting me. Maybe I'm expecting too much?

4. Al Harris - The other starting corner is suffering the same problems. He gets beat a lot lately. It seems Al(and Chuck) are getting old really fast, and while I'm sure 99% of the pf.com members think I'm WRONG here, in my opinion it is a concern.

Youre looking at it the wrong way Trom. You cant expect guys who go 1 on 1 all game long to not give up completions when you go up against a QB with a rifle like Cutler. Just not realistic. Deion Sanders was the only cb who could ever do that. Take a look at Champ Bailey and Bly last night and they are highly touted. Considering Cutlers arm, i think Woodson did great and Harris did average. Only prob i had with him was not wraping up Marshall near the end of the game.

1. Atari Bigby - One bad game after 5 good ones...I'll allow it. Nobody is perfect, but holy moly was Bigby BAD @ Denver. 4 penalties, every one of them costly. I know he's young, but kicking the ball after a play is over is just idiotic and on the same level of stupid as Ahm...Ahm...I can't say his name, but it's dumb. Now Bigby is physical, and he got to hitting people and pushing them when he shouldn't. This has to be fixed. If Woodson and Harris play to their potential, they will try and throw to Bigby's man\area all day long, and if he plays like this again, it will work. Aaron Rouse needs to start having some good practices to make Bigby know he can't get away with play like that ever again.

Lets hold off on that contract extension talk :)
-----------------------------

Who do you guys think need to step up?

As is, i think we likely make it to the NFC Championship game. To beat the Cowgirls and compete with the Patriots if we make it i think:

We need to find a way to hide Popinga in pass coverage. Maybe play ALOT of nickel & dime.

We need to play up tempo. Alot of no-huddle, force confusion on the defense and create some mismatches.

Make the most of our opportunities. Hang on to the ball, minimize penalties, receivers need to make plays like they have been.

Great season, much better than i expected. Go Pack!!

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barber\Kelly
Taylor\Townsend
Hobbs\Samuel

But that's me looking at it objectively and NOT basing it on career stats, but looking at their play THIS year.

That was a joke right? Taylor/Townsend and Hobbs/Samuel?? Have another screwdriver :)

nleidigh319

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the best corner team is bly and bailey and woodson and harris close behind its hard to tell because of the way the packers run there defence

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Barber\Kelly
Taylor\Townsend
Hobbs\Samuel

That was a joke right? Taylor/Townsend and Hobbs/Samuel?? Have another screwdriver :)

tromadz get real, why are you cutting me down for stating an opinion that is widely recognized around this league. I guarantee you ask gm's around this league and theyll tell you how good this duo is.

We play bump and run, hence the penalties.

C wood and Al Harris are still both caliber CB's bottom line

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the best corner team is bly and bailey and woodson and harris close behind its hard to tell because of the way the packers run there defence

Remember that our corners play without much safety help and with a below average nickelback. The refs really made some horrible calls last night (thanks to Stokely's acting)

Here's the break down.

Woodson and Harris are the best press-corner duo in the league.

Bly and Bailey are the best cover corner-duo in the league.

Barber and Kelly play in the cover two, and are probably the best zone-corner duo in the league.

Samuel and Hobbs play with the best offense in the league and probably the the best defense. Opposing quarterbacks have little time and throw a lot of lame ducks when there teams start losing to the Pats.

Our CB's are not perfect.

Harris cannot play zone very well. That is when he gives up the most receptions.

Woodson's major issue seems to be tackling and not slipping.

Members online

Latest posts