1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

$5 gas near, 78% of Americans say

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Heatherthepackgirl, May 5, 2008.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Well I hope it was a lucky day for the gent anyway.. :lol:

2. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's closing in on $4 a gallon here.
    I don't like it.

3. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Its now $3.94 a gallon here, its just crazy. I would walk/bike if I could but it would take me a day to get to work, I would have to leave the day before..LOL

4. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Is there any end to this misery?

5. JbShell

JbShell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Dealing with the fuel prices do suck but there is something we can do.

1) Lets get our own damned oil. We have over 150,000,000,000 Barrells of proven reserves right under our feet. Its a matter of will. Hell China is now drilling into the florida area reserves in Florida waters as we speak. Do we really want the Chinese Drilling for oil in our back yard with thier stellar enviromental record.

2) Stop subsidising ethanol. I mean really folks the goverment stealing our money to prop up an industry is stupid.

3) Stop pissin n moanin about how much an oil company makes. We as Americans have become far to concerned over the amount of profit a company makes. Thats called an economy. Nobody cared when they were losing there asses over $10.00 a barrell oil

4) Lets get off our collective butts and begin to truly demand by free market mechanisms that car companies invest in real advances in differant motors and fuel sources and find something that really works.

6. Profizzle99

Profizzle99 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The only reason why America has been the laughing stock of the world is because of problems like this. Our government is horrible when it comes to money managing. The reason China and all these other countries win is because they actually drill their own oil. The united states have enough oil to bring the price down to $1.50 for about 200 years or more. That is enough time to bring our economy back up and it is just sad that we waste our money on subsidies of ethanol. Those are the kind of actions which put cheap oil farther into the future. This whole topic pisses me off because it can be fixed so easily. Solution, Use the resources you have plenty of in America and export not import.

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    We COULD drill our own oil. Thats what bugs me. It's the environMENTALists that keep us from doing so. There's enough oil in Alaska, and off the coast of Florida, and even under ground in places like Oklahoma to support this country for a LONG time. But we might upset some "spotted owl" or some kind of animal, so the EPA keeps us from getting our own oil. They have kept us from building our own refineries too. So countries like China go and get the oil that WE should be getting ourselves. And if we don't at least try to get our own oil NOW, it will never get any better. New types of fuel take decades to test and build new types of transportation, so we are screwed for decades to come. Everyone saw this coming, yet no one did anything about it. Like i have said before, America can be brought to it's knees without a shot even being fired at us. The high price of fuel brings up the prices of everything here. They have to ship food by truck, and so our food costs go up. Many truck drivers are quitting because they can't afford to drive their rigs anymore. Like i said......our country will crumble, and we will be at the mercy of OPEC because we saw this coming, and sat on our thumbs.
    This is how i see it.........gas will go up to $5.50 a gallon soon, then go "down" to $4.80 or so..........and we will be "happy" that it went back down to $4.80. Then they will do it again, going up to $7.00, then back down to $6.25.....you see the trend? Thats my opinion of course. They pump up the price super high, then bring it down a little, each time making it higher.
    OPEC makes record profits, while we sit here with enough oil under our feet to force them to lower their prices to us, yet no one is doing a thing to put this into motion. We have no one to blame but ourselves.
    Now that we are at this point, i don't think it will ever get better in my lifetime. I truely feel sorry for the young people in America. People that are in their teens are in for a real tough time. There is no other fuel out there right now for them to use, and i don't know of anything in the near future for them to use. Makes me glad I'm nearing the end.

8. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Well grab hold for another jump.. oil hit 129 a barrel today.. that will for sure push prices over the 4 dollar mark just in time for the holiday weekend..

9. HughC

HughC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I shake my head at how all of a sudden the same auto manufacturers and car dealerships who have been telling us that bigger is better, safer, and more comfortable are suddenly talking about gas mileage in their ads over the last three or four weeks. Deja vu, didn't we go through this same scenario thirty years ago?

10. PackFanWithTwins

PackFanWithTwins Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Now I hate the price of gas the same as the next person, but looking back at history. We have just been lucky that the price did not rise more in the past.

1980: Median Income $17,710.00 Gas $1.25
    Now: Median Income $48,000.00 Gas @$4.00 (income 2006 numbers)

While it still sucks it has actually just evened out with incomes.

11. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well we have decided here to let one car sit as I go by where Ed boards the metrolink for LA everyday, I will drop him off as I go on my way to work and I will then pick him up, I will have to wait for a half an hour but thats not a big deal. We will then save money not buying gas for one car anyways. :)

12. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Drilling for more oil here is a short term solution, IMO. The problem we are having right now is that countries like China and India suddenly have enough wealth to buy gas. There isn't enough oil being extracted from the ground to feed the world's hunger for it. Even if we do drill for more oil here, the process it would take would be extremely costly. Forget the animals, trying to extract it from Alaska is just much more difficult than a Texas coastline.

We as a country need to get away from the dependency of oil, and find other energies to run on. It has been estimated that we have about 50 more years of oil to run on at current usage. While these are just estimations, they are fairly accurate. We will most likely not find huge supplies of oil lying around that we haven't known about. Companies also fudge numbers to say they have more in reserves, so that they can in return drill for more.

I think this upcoming election is more important than people realize.

13. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :lol:

I was thinking the same thing this morning.

Gas here is $4.07 and 9/10ths. I drove into the gas station this morning and saw nothing but SUVs and trucks, and they're all filled with Yuppies, not people who actually NEED them.

People will never learn. It's the 70s all over again.