4th & Goal from the 1 in OT

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On our first drive in overtime, the Packers couldn't punch it into the endzone from the one yard line. On fourth down, McCarthy took the safe route and kicked the field goal. Minnesota then drove down to kick a tying field goal that eventually resulted in a tie.

At the time, I was convinced that going for it on 4th down was the better call. Here was my reasoning:

1) A touchdown wins the game
2) Turning the ball over on downs at the one, makes the Vikings have to work out of the endzone
3) Our defense wasn't stopping AP or Gerhardt, so trusting Flynn and the offense seemed to make more sense

In the end, our defense did hold the Vikings out of the endzone but did allow a FG. What would you have done. Take the points when you can in OT or go for the glory?

It's basically a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" decision. If they couldn't get it on the previous downs, it is wise to at least take the three points. If he went for it and they were stuffed, people would be calling for McCarthy's head. He played it safely and relied on the defense for a stop which would have given us the win. Looking back, though, yes, it would have been nice for a TD on fourth down and the sudden death, but hind sight is 20/20.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I would have signed Flynn the minute the Raiders released him.
I'm not saying that now hindsight being 20/20.

But I don't fault McCarthy for not going for it.
I cannot EVER remember a team in the NFL getting a FG in OT, and still not winning the game.
Leave it to our defense, facing a crappy QB, to let them march right back down and tie it. At least they didn't get a TD and beat us. Thanks Greg Jennings, for that.

I thought we were going to punch it in with the running...... we had all the momentum.
Can't really second guess MM for anything there. Just needed to block better.

Yeah, that was an awesome dropped pass by Gary Jenkins. I knew there was something I still liked about him. Maybe he is still brainwashed.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Field Goal was right choose........ 2 point attempt was not earlier in the game.

Members online

Latest posts