4th and 1 on the 1

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets face it...........had Favre got a TD on that play, we would all be cheering the call. If MM would have called a run, and the RB was stopped short of the goal line, we all would be yelling "Why did he call a run? He KNOWS our run game has stunk so far this year!"
So he went with what was working so well at the time.

It's really the empty backfield that most people have the problem with. if Favre had thrown a TD, many people including me would've thought McCarthy got away with a strange play-call because he didn't even force the defense to protect against the run.

The call still would've been questioned. Look how much it's been questioned even though the Packers won the game. I didn't like it, but I do like McCarthy's aggressiveness overall.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
It's really the empty backfield that most people have the problem with. if Favre had thrown a TD, many people including me would've thought McCarthy got away with a strange play-call because he didn't even force the defense to protect against the run.

The call still would've been questioned. Look how much it's been questioned even though the Packers won the game. I didn't like it, but I do like McCarthy's aggressiveness overall.

I agree, I really think MM got caught up in the moment, a game changing score and the record at home. Maybe not, but I think the Favre and MM conversation after Jackson's TD was a indication that it might have been the case.

Either way, it is history, hopefully we learned a bit though.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you read the transcripts on this play MM pointed out that the mismatch was created by the empty backfield formation. In other words it would not have given them the opportunity he saw there without the spread.

Without saying it he essentially said Brett missed the read. MM said it was set up just like he wanted it and Brett missed that one. Apparantly they had the mismatch he was looking for on the outside and Brett threw it in the middle.

This makes sense when you consider that with no backfield the DL can stand and deflect the pass not being worried about a run which is exactly what happened.

MM did not back off the call this time like I have heard him do before. I have heard him say "I probably should not have called that play in that situation." He did not say that here.

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WHAT HAPPEN ON : 4th and 1 on the 1

Note: I reviewed the game several times. To settle the debate, Favre had made up his mind where he was going, but TE Lee was open and WR Jones was wide open. Thus, MM said Favre will be disappointed when he sees the tape. Like always when the game on the line, Favre redeemed himself with the sland play pass TD to Jennings big play.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/4th-and-1/

Needless to say, I’ve gone round and round with several different Packer fans regarding Mike McCarthy’s decision to call an empty set shotgun formation on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter of last weeks game against the Chargers. The argument is that it is a stupid call because it frees the defense of having to worry about the possibility of a running back, doing any number of things - going off tackle, taking a sweep, a short wheel route, swinging out into the flat, ect. The play-caller spends a huge amount of time looking at the defenses’ tendencies, how they play down and distances, what types of personnel they put of the field in different situations, ect. It’s easy to watch a play not work and question the wisdom of the person who called the play.

However, successful football plays have two components. The call and the execution of that call. The call in question on 4th and 1 was sound. The execution was not. Even without the benefit of the coaches tape, one need only look at the broadcast film (available here, forward to the 3:54 mark) to see Donald Lee open at the top of the screen on the slant, and at the bottom of the screen, James Jones WIDE open after Driver rubbed his defender off. Who knows why Favre felt the best bet was a quick throw right into the middle of the defense, but that was the read he made, and he pulled the trigger. McCarthy was questioned about the call, and he stood up for himself, as he should. He also intimated what the film shows, that Brett had better options that he simply missed. Just remember the two parts of a successful play before criticizing the play calling.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you read the transcripts on this play MM pointed out that the mismatch was created by the empty backfield formation. In other words it would not have given them the opportunity he saw there without the spread.

Without saying it he essentially said Brett missed the read. MM said it was set up just like he wanted it and Brett missed that one. Apparantly they had the mismatch he was looking for on the outside and Brett threw it in the middle.

This makes sense when you consider that with no backfield the DL can stand and deflect the pass not being worried about a run which is exactly what happened.

MM did not back off the call this time like I have heard him do before. I have heard him say "I probably should not have called that play in that situation." He did not say that here.

It's not about the mismatch as much as it is the percentages. I would imagine running the ball 1/2 yard is easier and has a higher percentage of being successful any way you cut it.

Also spreading the Defense out at the goal line DRASTICALLY reduces any real type of mismatch because so many players are jammed in a 10 yard box.

It was a boneheaded call, but everything turned out OK. No damage done

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts