1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

4th & 4 ... Do You Go For It?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by shield4life, Nov 7, 2011.

1. shield4life

shield4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    Would you guys have went for it or go for a FG? Can't seem to remember but I think it was a long one wasn't it? Anyways, I would of probably kicked and get the 3 points considering we're in the 1st quarter.

How about you guys, was it a right call from MM?

2. Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    I would do Rodgers play action.

3. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    Didn't mind going for it at all. It would have been a what.. 54-56 yarder in the rain?

4. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    I was upset that Mason didn't go in.
    Seeing the final outcome, an extra 3 would have been a nice cushion.
    If you already got the lead or it's a tie, no need to try and get first down.
    I think going for it on 4th and whatever should only be done in dire desperate situations.

5. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Yeah, but if Mason had missed his perfect season would be over. :)

6. peteralan71

peteralan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +51
    Like the guys said, it woulda been a looong one in the rain. We know Mason has the leg but in the rain it is different, and Rodgers is golden.

The refs were horrible in this game. The pass that Rodgers had to Finley on this play would have been on the money but the defender was all over Finley with the ball in the air. No flags. Just plain stupid.

7. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +606
    I would have, because if I didn't and settled for a field goal, I would have lost the Autograph competition! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    me too.. then I would of won that picture!! LOL.. nah I have no idea how close or far off I was..just winging numbers out there hoping something would stick!

9. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I thought it was a good call at the time considering the rain although the San Diego kicker made one later from that range.

10. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    Remember a few weeks into the season when everyone was saying "Why don't they just for it on 4th and short?"

Well we're 0-5 on 4th down conversions and last in the league on it, so you want them to keep going for it on 4th down? Not a very intimidating stat.

When you have a kicker that is nailing the distance of 50 yards, and a chance for 3, don't pass that opportunity up. I don't agree with going for it on 4th and short anyway, cause I've seen it come back and bite teams on the ***.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shield4life

shield4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    ^^^ It was almost going to bite on our *** yesterday!!!

12. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    Either way is a gamble. Don't converge or make the FG the Chargers get the ball where it is.
    However going for the FG is less of a gamble with Mason this year.

In an article I read elsewhere, Mason says he has found a way to focus and stay concentrated which is why he is doing much better this time.
    I think since he has found what helps, he has turned over a new leaf and will remain as good or better as he is now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BoilerUp

BoilerUp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    There's no way you have Mason (as wonderful as he has been playing) try a 50+ field goal in that rain. It's really not the rain itself that is a big deal, but that soft grown really plays with your mind when you imagine trying to not have your plant foot slip.

14. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +859
    I agreed with MM's call as it happened and was happy to see the O-unit remain on the field. With AR's completion % above 70%, and the liklihood of Crosby hitting that long FG in the rain most likely "less than 70%", it was the right call.