49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course its going to be great game. Two of the premier teams in the NFC are again going head-to-head in week 1. And just like last year, it will be a tough game for both squads. But it is only week 1 so win or lose, there will still be plenty of football left to play for both teams so the ramifications won't be as important as if it were a meeting later on in the season.

Regarding our offense, there seems to be this perception that we're this big read-option team. That's not the case. With CK at the helm, when ran the read-option less than 4% of our offensive plays. The read-option is a wrinkle within our offense but it isn't our offense. The power-run and the play-action off of that is still our bread and butter. Most of damage CK did against your defense in the playoffs were not on designed runs. A team like the Redskins were far more reliant on the read-option than we were. The most important element ot our offense is still the Power Run and that's what I think an opposing defense has to key-in on first, not the read-option.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Of course its going to be great game. Two of the premier teams in the NFC are again going head-to-head in week 1. And just like last year, it will be a tough game for both squads. But it is only week 1 so win or lose, there will still be plenty of football left to play for both teams so the ramifications won't be as important as if it were a meeting later on in the season.

Regarding our offense, there seems to be this perception that we're this big read-option team. That's not the case. With CK at the helm, when ran the read-option less than 4% of our offensive plays. The read-option is a wrinkle within our offense but it isn't our offense. The power-run and the play-action off of that is still our bread and butter. Most of damage CK did against your defense in the playoffs were not on designed runs. A team like the Redskins were far more reliant on the read-option than we were. The most important element ot our offense is still the Power Run and that's what I think an opposing defense has to key-in on first, not the read-option.

Can you please show me the stat line where it states that they use the read option less than 4% of the time? Almost every time they are in the "pistol" formation it is for a read option play. That was more like 50+% of the time. Hell, even frank gore b*tched and complained about having to run out of the pistol formation because they used it so much. Just wondering where you got your stats for that statement. If the average NFL game consists of roughly 60 snaps per team on offense, that would mean that the 49ers run the read option only 2.4 times per game.......so I believe your math percentage is slightly off.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, just because they line up in Pistol doesn't mean they're going to read-option. It was originally designed to be a weird marriage between Shotgun and Offset-I. You've got the fullback offset (because of the QB) and in front of the HB. Ta-da, you can do about 90% of your standard power runs. The ~10% you can't are plays that counter-lead plays away from the fullback. Pretty hard to pick off someone when your quarterback is in the way.

Of course, the Pistols makes running the read-option easier, but it was "created" in college for a non-running quarterback. It evolved to include the read-option about 3 years after initial inception.

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you please show me the stat line where it states that they use the read option less than 4% of the time? Almost every time they are in the "pistol" formation it is for a read option play. That was more like 50+% of the time. Hell, even frank gore b*tched and complained about having to run out of the pistol formation because they used it so much. Just wondering where you got your stats for that statement. If the average NFL game consists of roughly 60 snaps per team on offense, that would mean that the 49ers run the read option only 2.4 times per game.......so I believe your math percentage is slightly off.

Your right, my math was very off. Kaepernick ran on designed runs, out of the read option less than 3% of the time which is where I probably pulled that number from. We lined in The Pistol 42.9% of our offensive plays in the post-season last year, which was a big spike from our regular season percentage. But The Pistol is just a formation, which various plays can be run out of it. Just because your lined up in the Pistol, doesnt mean your automatically running the read-option.

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, just because they line up in Pistol doesn't mean they're going to read-option. It was originally designed to be a weird marriage between Shotgun and Offset-I. You've got the fullback offset (because of the QB) and in front of the HB. Ta-da, you can do about 90% of your standard power runs. The ~10% you can't are plays that counter-lead plays away from the fullback. Pretty hard to pick off someone when your quarterback is in the way.

Of course, the Pistols makes running the read-option easier, but it was "created" in college for a non-running quarterback. It evolved to include the read-option about 3 years after initial inception.

You know your football, great post

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I usually just lurk, but since you asked. . .

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/95574/run-oriented-qbs-and-nfc-west-mythology

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Kaep will be seeing a whole lot of this too

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Nick Perry is legit

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nick Perry is legit

Not to mention Datone Jones. Just to let you guys know, a majority of Niner fans were hoping to snag Datone in the Draft. I think he will be a great player. Also, Johnathan Franklin is legit. I think he will actually outperform Lacy in your offense. I look forward to our opening game. Hopefully, both teams will escape without injury.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention Datone Jones. Just to let you guys know, a majority of Niner fans were hoping to snag Datone in the Draft. I think he will be a great player. Also, Johnathan Franklin is legit. I think he will actually outperform Lacy in your offense. I look forward to our opening game. Hopefully, both teams will escape without injury.

We can only hope. Perry has to show that TT was right to make him our #1 pick last year by owning the OLB spot. I'm optimistic about Datone. I think he's gonna make an impact right away.

SF is loaded. The question is for me how Kaepernick is going to adjust to the new defenses that he will see. He's still young and I almost feel as so much is expected out of him and Russell Wilson that 9er and Hawks fans may be a little disappointed. It's not that those 2 aren't legit. By all counts they are. But too many fans and sportcasters have already christened them as elite QBs who might as well be mentioned in the same breath as Rodgers and Brees. Sophomore years are never that easy. Just ask Cam Newton.

OP
OP
5x49er

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fans or front office?

Its obvious our F/O thought very little of Datone Jones
He was there at 18 to be picked we passed taking Eric reid insted

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans or front office?

Its obvious our F/O thought very little of Datone Jones
He was there at 18 to be picked we passed taking Eric reid insted

Fans. Although, the niners did end up with the fans other favorite in Tank, a prospect I really wanted. But I think it would be inaccurate to say that the front office "obviously thought very little of Jones." Baalke traded up targeting Reid. He was a player that both Harbaugh and Baalke really liked, and he fit our biggest need. But that doesn't preclude the possibility that Datone Jones also ranked highly on their board. In many ways, Datone fit the profile that the niners look for in their five techniques: tall, rangy, with the ability to generate pass rush. They just were satisfied knowing that Tank would likely still be on the board.

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can only hope. Perry has to show that TT was right to make him our #1 pick last year by owning the OLB spot. I'm optimistic about Datone. I think he's gonna make an impact right away.

SF is loaded. The question is for me how Kaepernick is going to adjust to the new defenses that he will see. He's still young and I almost feel as so much is expected out of him and Russell Wilson that 9er and Hawks fans may be a little disappointed. It's not that those 2 aren't legit. By all counts they are. But too many fans and sportcasters have already christened them as elite QBs who might as well be mentioned in the same breath as Rodgers and Brees. Sophomore years are never that easy. Just ask Cam Newton.

I'm not really worried about a drop off for Kaep. Could it happen? Of course. However, I think there is a number of reasons to be optimistic about Kaep's growth. First, Harbaugh's offense. Harbaugh's offense is incredibly Qb friendly, built upon a huge number of formations and shifts designed to give the qb the best matchup possible. In one opening drive the niners used 12 different formations in 13 plays. This also aids Kaep in making the correct presnap reads. Secondly, the niners rushing attack isn't going anywhere, and that will always hide any deficiencies from the qb position. As great as Kaep played bringing the niners back in the ATL game, their winning drive was something like 7 consecutive rushes (none by Kaep).

Finally, Colin is very intelligent and he still has a lot to learn from the Qb position (I consider this a positive even though it could be perceived as a weakness). Kaep ran the Wing T in high school, and the pistol in college. He was extremely raw coming out, and Harbaugh has spent a lot of time coaching him up. I personally believe Kaep's performance last year was his baseline, and that he will continue to make huge strides as he refines his game. He has already shown his mettle by leading a touchdown drive after every interception he has thrown. I don't think that future adversity will knock him down too hard.

BTW I don't think he has come close to Rodgers or Brees yet.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Niner Fan.

What if your team has a season of injuries like ours did last year? How will you fare if you are missing:

-TWO 1st Rd picks on your OL
-Your best TWO ILB's
-Your best safety hurts his neck and has to retire
-Your #1 WR misses about half the year
-Your #1 RB gets a foot injury in your 5th game and is done for the year
-Your #1 Draft pick goes on IR after 6 games

I'd be very curious to see how your team would do if you lost both Iupati & Davis or Staley.
And lost Willis & Bowman, and your #2 OLB.
And lost Crabtree for 8+ games.
And lost Gore in week 6 for the year.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nick Perry is legit
Except for the Fail-Mary play and BS penalties in that one late, THIS PLAY made me madder than any other during the whole season.... for YEARS this has been a TEXTBOOK SACK, and was many times last year.
But that stupid zebra there had Luck in his Fantasy Football League or had money on the Colts, and he threw a flag there, negating a big play for us, and hurting us with a BS 15-yard penalty.
We were up 14-0 or 14-3 at that point and the rout was on .... until that BS flag.
Perry hit Luck right on the bicep, which is why the ball popped free.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Except for the Fail-Mary play and BS penalties in that one late, THIS PLAY made me madder than any other during the whole season.... for YEARS this has been a TEXTBOOK SACK, and was many times last year.
But that stupid zebra there had Luck in his Fantasy Football League or had money on the Colts, and he threw a flag there, negating a big play for us, and hurting us with a BS 15-yard penalty.
We were up 14-0 or 14-3 at that point and the rout was on .... until that BS flag.
Perry hit Luck right on the bicep, which is why the ball popped free.
Perry was also fined: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...fined-15k-for-borderline-shot-on-andrew-luck/

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Niner Fan.

What if your team has a season of injuries like ours did last year? How will you fare if you are missing:

-TWO 1st Rd picks on your OL
-Your best TWO ILB's
-Your best safety hurts his neck and has to retire
-Your #1 WR misses about half the year
-Your #1 RB gets a foot injury in your 5th game and is done for the year
-Your #1 Draft pick goes on IR after 6 games

I'd be very curious to see how your team would do if you lost both Iupati & Davis or Staley.
And lost Willis & Bowman, and your #2 OLB.
And lost Crabtree for 8+ games.
And lost Gore in week 6 for the year.

Lol, well, obviously that would suck. Is there a reason for the question? I know you are listing off your team's injuries from last year, but I'm not sure why. Luckily, the niners strength and conditioning staff is pretty well respected around the league, and the niners rarely suffer a number of injuries. But anything can happen in Sundays. FYI, the biggest loss the niners can suffer would be to lose Justin Smith again. Hopefully, Tank Carradine shows enough to be able to step in for him should that happen. And for some reason, for the past two seasons the niners have ended the year thin with the WR's. Crossing my fingers that trend doesn't continue.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luckily, the niners strength and conditioning staff is pretty well respected around the league, and the niners rarely suffer a number of injuries. But anything can happen in Sundays.
Knee injuries, career-ending neck injuries from a RB trying to hurdle a safety, a wrist break on a tackle, a hamstring tearing off when bent wrong, a late block by Duane Brown that tears our LB's ACL, a RB who had been durable his whole career til coming to the Packers and suffering a seemingly innocent foot injury only to turn out to be the dreaded Lisfranc.... those things ARE luck, have nothing to do with conditioning.

We deserve good luck this year, like you guys had last year.
You mentioned Justin Smith. He was healthy almost all year til week 16 or so.... then still played in the playoffs not at full strength.

I believe it is luck not conditioning (or maybe Adderall, which it seems the Seahawks are using more than anyone) and that the law of averages will balance out next year.
We get your luck from last year, you get ours.

OP
OP
5x49er

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Knee injuries, career-ending neck injuries from a RB trying to hurdle a safety, a wrist break on a tackle, a hamstring tearing off when bent wrong, a late block by Duane Brown that tears our LB's ACL, a RB who had been durable his whole career til coming to the Packers and suffering a seemingly innocent foot injury only to turn out to be the dreaded Lisfranc.... those things ARE luck, have nothing to do with conditioning.

You mentioned Justin Smith. He was healthy almost all year til week 16 or so.... then still played in the playoffs not at full strength.

I believe it is luck not conditioning (or maybe Adderall, which it seems the Seahawks are using more than anyone) and that the law of averages will balance out next year.

Damn i hope your wrong

And would like to wish both teams a healthy season:tup:
Plus I want you guys at full strenght

i dont want any excusses when we whopp that ***:p

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn i hope your wrong

And would like to wish both teams a healthy season:tup:
Plus I want you guys at full strenght

i dont want any excusses when we whopp that ***:p
Well, week one last year, we didn't have any injury excuse, yet.
I'll grant you that for sure.

I'd prefer all teams to remain healthy too... but football is brutal.
I just want our luck good this year... give us a couple of good years.

But I'd be curious to see how SF, or Sea, NE, would fare if they had very similar injuries as we did.

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Like I said, anything can happen on Sundays. We haven't seen a lot of injuries for a couple of years now. Hopefully that continues.

Anyways, it's a new year, and you guys have a championship quality team. Why are you dwelling on last year? Are you wanting me to say that we would be worse off than you guys were? I could go through the list case by case, but I'm not sure what for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts