1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

49ers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by JBlood, Aug 30, 2012.

1. 5x49er

5x49er Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +42

The biggest matchup issue in any big game the 49ers play this season is how their offense plays against the opposing team's defense. No matter how good any NFL offense is, it will more or less be controlled by the 49ers. The Saints were the only team to hang 30+ on us, and were pretty lucky to do it too.

If you can stop the 49ers offense then I would be concerned.

2. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    How many turnovers did the Saints have in that game? I'm thinking like 5?

3. 5x49er

5x49er Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +42

4. 5x49er

5x49er Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +42
    BTW pACK fans, a fun reminder:

The difference between us and pretty much the rest of the league is that we have our own confidence and slight bias that we can beat anyone but at the same time totally acknowledge the worst case scenario, and that other teams beating us is realistic and can happen.

When we win, it's a brutal shock for these fans....Saints, Giants, etc.

And we're still not taken seriously in this league....at least by the media and opposing fans. I don't think opposing coaching staffs will take us lightly but the good news is the players still have a chip on their shoulder, which will offset other teams "catching up to our program".

5. gbpack12_2_89

gbpack12_2_89 Bleeding Green and Gold

Ratings:
    +192
    Im pretty sure that EVERY team in the nfl has their own confidence and bias that they can beat anyone if they didnt y even suit up?

6. 5x49er

5x49er Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +42
    Please see post 158#

One thing going against the Packers is that it's so early in the season, their offense and passing attack isn't going to be as fluid as it would be after a few games, it's going to be a bit sluggish and that plays right onto the hands of the niners who have the best front 7 in all of football. From what I saw in the preseason games the Packers offense had a bit of rust on it that hasn't been cleared yet.

Make no mistake, the Packers will try to run but it won't work, and will turn to airing it out the rest of the game. The 49ers had a historically good rush defense last year and everyone is back on D with a full offseason with the system unlike last year, and they are going to be fresh. Defenses usually solidify before offenses do so it's likely they will have a slight leg up on the Packers O.

That said, if the Packers do hit their stride with the pass, they are capable of doing a lot of damage, Rodgers IMHO is the best passer in the NFL and so dangerous. If the 49ers had a weakness last year it was in pass defense, but it could be said that was because teams simply gave up on the run. Last year teams threw for alot of yards, but scored few points (niners missed #1 in fewest PPG allowed by .1 points to the Steelers lol). Classic bend but don't break.

As for what to look for from the niners offense, well, honestly I think most 49er fans are waiting to see what Harbaugh and Greg Roman has cooked up in the offseason with all the things they've added and their first real offseason and training camp. They also have showed nothing of what they are going to do with the first team offense in the preseason.

I really can't make a prediction on this game because every year is different and teams change, either team has a very good chance of winning and honestly I am very nervous about it, the Packers are no joke and like the 49ers, they are going to be pissed off after losing at home what they thought should be a super bowl season to the f**king 9-7 Giants. But I do know this, it's going to be a good game.

7. gbpack12_2_89

gbpack12_2_89 Bleeding Green and Gold

Ratings:
    +192
    How was that Packer offense the first game of last season vs the saints?
    Rodgers 27/35 312 yards 3 TD's
    399 total net yards
    32 min in TOP
    6 total TD's
    Yeah that looks like a horrible way to start out the season....

8. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    SEE POST 182. :p

9. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,976
    so our O wont be in sync but your defense will be?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Exactly what I was thinking. LMAO!

11. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    The Niner fans here have been no more cocky than many of our fans.
    Their team made it further than we did last season, and they almost beat the Giants, losing the NFC Title game in OT, the same team that we were beat by worse.

So no need to call them out on anything here IMO.

We all know both teams are good and capable of being great. And in different ways. Tomorrow could go either way. A few great plays, a few mistakes, turnovers, or bad calls could decide the game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,215
    What was the old quip? "It ain't bragging if you can really do it." I think the Niners have an excellent team and will be the toughest game the Packers face all season. Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. wxman2003

wxman2003 Guest

Ratings:
    +10
    Jeff Saturday is going to need to play big tomorrow. He is not a good run blocker, but in order to slow that 49er defense down, the packers are going to need to run at least for 80 or 90 yards, and Benson runs between the guards.

14. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,017
    Was this intended as humor? I’d expect this to be posted by someone who just became a fan. BTW, the difference between you (not all 9er fans) and the rest of us posting on this thread is you were only one so naïve as to have posted that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

I totally agree with you and I will give the 49ers a lot of credit.

All last year I bet against them, I picked against them over and over, I watched in agony as they stopped Drew Brees from beating them after that big miraculous come back.

I will give them the most credit for one thing; this is a match up that favors them defensively no matter how good this offense is.

Against the Saints, they took away the run, and made them go totally one dimensional with the passing game. It's easy to blame Payton for going one dimensional around town but when Sproles had the ball, he was not getting it done.

I don't care how great ESPN says Benson is going to be, I'm not forgetting his fumble problems, and one thing for sure is; that defense knocked Brees around, even though he had one of the best offensive lines in the league last year.

As much as no one really wants to admit it; if this defense can knock 5 turnovers out of the Saints, I damn sure believe they can do the same here. SF don't even really need an offense, the turnovers is what won them many games last year.

People can get mad at me all they want and say this offense won't make mistakes like the Saints did, but when I see that offensive line, and no this team is not going to run the ball that much with a RB that has a fumble issue, and against a defense that totally takes away the run game, I am prepared for turnovers. How many teams played the 49ers last year and did not make a single turnover against them?

Turnovers is what is going to decide this game, and sadly that is in favor of the Niners.

I don't trust this defense, all these rookies and still looks as crappy as it did last year. Who's going to rush the quarterback? Is Frank Gore going to be rollin' and tumblin' his way to a huge stat number? Will Alex Smith look like Steve Young in a similar way that he did against the Saints horrible secondary in the playoffs?

Only time will tell, but I have faith in Rodgers, I just continue and continue to pray they actually protect him long enough to get it done. I know there will be plenty of hard hits and I don't want to see that on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. 5x49er

5x49er Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +42

17. 5x49er

5x49er Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +42
  18. 5x49er

5x49er Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +42
  19. 5x49er

5x49er Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +42
    1) Steelers vs Broncos is the NBC SNF game
    2) even if it was a day game, it'd been on CBS (2 AFC teams)
    3) "America's Game of the Week" is FOX's big nationally-broadcast game, usually between 2 NFC teams.
    FOX's other 2 games on at the same time are usually restricted regionally to the 4 teams playing in that game (usually west-coast games)

FOX's LATE GAMES 3:25
    RED = SF AT GB
    BLUE = CAR AT TB
    GREEN = SEA AT ARZ

[​IMG]

20. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Nice shot, Jack. :cool: I was essentially V-scanning a couple of 9'er fan forums just for S&G's ... seems as though the "new breed" of 9'er fan has taken over those forums. Lots of s**t talk.

21. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,976

Really?

That is a pretty bad attempt....Did a 4th grader do it?

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,976
    so to show how your not trying to stir up crap you post trollish pictures? That look like a grade school kid did?

If you want to post smack pictures, at least get something that is half way decent

23. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Well I'm surprised over the number of Packer fans who think the Packers are not going to play a great game. I don't think they are looking ahead to the Bears, that their defense is the same as last year, Benson will spill the ball all over the field, we could turn the ball over as many as five times, etc.

Look we had a great offense last year. I don't see it being worse. We have the best QB in football. Mark my word Benson will conduct himself well. As far as the defense we added a bunch of guys and I think Capers and the defense will hit the ground running. Capers won't be a sleep walker like last year. That lousy defense he fielded last year had to sting. Plus we don't have Charley Peprah. :) Go Pack !

24. Hype

Hype Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35

whats the Lombardi Trophy factor of that of The Packers vs the 3 other teams.....

yea i figured

25. 94niners

94niners Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    This game will come down to one thing: will Aaron Rodgers get rid of the ball before the 49ers Smiths hit him? Granted, Justin and Aldon Smith can devastate QBs. However, Aaron Rodgers is probably the very best at making his offensive line look 3 times better than what it is. The Packers will score points. The question is, will it be a difficult day for Rodgers or will it not? And that will determine the victor.