49ers

RonnieLott42

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome to our board fruitty.... we have a long history with the 49ers.
From Favre's engineer upset in the playoffs against them in 1996, to the Jerry Rice fumble in the playoffs that was stolen from us, when TO made his greatest catch ever....
to Donald Driver's most remarkable catch and run ever.

When was the last time we played the Niners IN SAN FRAN?
Seems like the last 3 times over the past 6 or 8 years, it's always in Green Bay.

Hi Frank. The last two times they played in SF was in '06 and '02.

94niners

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greetings Packer fans. I anticipate a great game, the first of two this season. Unfortunately for my team, I feel like our greatest strength is of no consequence. We have the best run defense in the NFL, bar none. But, see, it's like this (que Boromir):

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

But...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

So basically, I'm quite nervous because your offense is impervious to one of the two things that makes our defense great (the other being forcing turnovers). How can we stop Green Bay? I don't think we can. Maybe slow you guys down. If the 49ers have a chance, it will be in the hands of the offense against Green Bay's improved defense.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hi Frank. The last two times they played in SF was in '06 and '02.
See, we're overdue. That was before Rodgers Era began.
This will be I think the 3rd time he's faced the Niners in Green Bay. Zero there. NFL needs to fix those things.

Speaking of Ronnie Lott: This still haunts me:
1981 NFL Draft

Round One
#6- Green Bay: Rich Campbell, QB, Cal
#7- Tampa Bay: Hugh Green, LB, Pitt
#8- San Francisco: Ronnie Lott, DB, USC

#35- Green Bay: Gary Lewis, TE, TX-Arlington
#38- Chicago: Mike Singletary, LB, Baylor
#48- Oakland: Howie Long, DT, Villanova
#51- New Orleans: Rickey Jackson, LB, Pitt

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Just a couple of notions, '94 ....

1 -- there has been no proof of an 'improved' defense yet. Only media babble and internet buzz. I've watched each and every Packers' preseason game closely and haven't located anything to hang my hat on. Until such time that all of this "potential" and talk becomes "realized" reality ... the Packers have the worst defense in the NFL. I've noted a lot of Packers' fans and Packers' orientated media talking the talk about an improved defense, but I am here to lower expectations. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to see the Green Bay Packers field a defense as porous, and moreso, than their 1983 defense which would be described in its kindest manner as 'a turnstile defense' -- but hey, they managed.

2 -- the Chiefs and the Giants displayed the game plan to beat the Green Bay Packers ... jam every potential receiver at the line ... and utilize the run offensively to set up play action passes in the middle of the Green Bay defense (a well executed "Hail Mary" when the Pack's defense has apparently called it a half is good tool as well). I'm pretty sure that Harbaugh will be giving the 9'er tight ends a TON of opportunities to become Hall of Famers in week one.

For the record, the 9'ers have been my 2nd favorite NFL team since boyhood. John Brodie to Gene Washington in the very early 70's was considered a wide open offense back then. Truthfully, at age 12 in 1970, I was more moved by the colors and helmets...but... Charlie Krueger was one of my favorites. I remember vividly a 1972 game where the 9'ers came to Lambeau Field -- my Dad just could not fathom my exuberance for that game ... my two favorites playing, he couldn't understand why I'd give two-s**ts about the 9'ers, it was always about the Pack, the opposing team was a nuisance that had to be dealt with....haha...

This latest incarnation of the 49'ers is the real deal in my opinion. A good number of the national pundits are poo-pooing last year's team as an aberration...an annomoly... I see this game as a toss up and I'll call the same thing if these two teams do get through the regular season and meet in the playoffs. You've got a helluva team there.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This will be I think the 3rd time he's faced the Niners in Green Bay. Zero there. NFL needs to fix those things.

1981 NFL Draft

Round One

Thanks a ton Frank. ;) If I'm not mistaken... legend up here in Packerland has Rich Campbell signing his first Packers contract while sitting in a wheelchair -- never been able to verify that but ... that is one name that grinds my beans every time I see it.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks longtimefan and appreciate the welcome. Just read today that Capers will be starting 7 rookies on defense. Is this true? and if so how does the MB feel about it?

You do know we were last in defense last year don't you? Don't expect the rookies to do worse. :(

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I too expect a very good game but disagree with weeds on a couple of points. We’ve gone ‘round and ‘round about this one – the Packers were 19th in scoring on D. I mention that again just to note that if the 49ers gain more yards but fewer points than the Packers, I and the NFL will count it as a win. Those who emphasize yards over points will have to justify their emphasis. I too have watched each and every Packers preseason game and the most important one, the third game against the Bengals, was encouraging regarding the Packers defense. Still preseason of course, but if you are looking for a spot to hang your hat in preseason…

I don’t remember the “wheelchair legend” – maybe it was meant figuratively instead of literally! But the thing that kills me about that draft was reportedly Starr overruled his scouting staff who advocated for Lott. It was also reported his staff’s “book” on Campbell detailed his weaknesses. For me that was just another blatant example of the need to reorganize the structure of the team as Bob Harlan did with the hiring of Wolf.

Seven rookies starting on defense? No, Capers won’t be starting 7 rookies. Because the running game is a big part of the 49ers’ offense the Packers will probably start in their base 3-4 (which is not their most used alignment). If that’s true the Packers will start rookie Nick Perry at LOLB and perhaps rookie Casey Hayward at RCB – although I expect Bush to start there because he’s the best tackler among the CBs vying for that spot. Rookie Jerel Worthy may be the starter at DT when the Packers go to nickel and dime. And rookie Jerron McMillian may start at SS in sub packages if MD Jennings doesn’t. So at most if the Packers start in their nickel alignment, 4 rookies will start but I don’t expect that many. Rookies will play a bigger part in the Packers D this season than for most teams but whoever wrote/said 7 starters doesn’t know much about the Packers.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is ironic that the Packers have had what appears to be the 9ers number over the last 20 years. Not that we played each other so often. It goes back to Majik's outdueling Montana in November of 1989 on the Bay.Yet there have been other teams that have had OUR number although not necessarily being a strong opponent. Others have had the better of us when we appeared to be the better team.
This game depends a lot on the coaching. Facing Singletary and Mooch was not exactly like facing Bill Walsh. Harbaugh prepares his teams mentally and physically extremely well. He is a solid game planner. The 9ers have confidence on the field. There is no longer this sense of impending doom that you could see in the last decade. McCarthy is a little more low key but he gets his point across to players and depends on his assistants to do the same.
You would think the Lambeau mystique for this game would be a factor. But it could back fire. A lot of our rookies will feel the pressure of tradition and high expectations when they take the field next Sunday. The environment might force them to try to overachieve and result in some big mistakes.
Playing on the road may actually have taken some of the pressure off.
Nevertheless, this is game one. We had a wild game one last season with New Orleans.
The Packers almost have to take a playoff approach to this game even though it is only 1 of 16.
This is not just one of those " Aaron put the ball up and we'll have enough points." The Packers have to be ready to play every play. And when the opportunity is there they must seize it. The 9ers are not the quitting team they appeared to be in the last decade.

Reaction score
Just read today that Capers will be starting 7 rookies on defense. Is this true? and if so how does the MB feel about it?
From my knowledge, the Packers will be starting our first round pick, Nick Perry, and thats the only rookie. There will be many rookies in the rotation though: McMillian (S), our 2nd rounder Worthy (DT), Casey Heyward (CB), Mike Daniels (DT), and Terrell Manning (ILB). We do, however, have a lot of second year players on the defense.
: Davon House (CB), MD Jennings, DJ Smith (LB) *Starter, and a couple other players.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Welcome to our board fruitty.... we have a long history with the 49ers.
From Favre's engineer upset in the playoffs against them in 1996, to the Jerry Rice fumble in the playoffs that was stolen from us, when TO made his greatest catch ever....
to Donald Driver's most remarkable catch and run ever.

When was the last time we played the Niners IN SAN FRAN?
Seems like the last 3 times over the past 6 or 8 years, it's always in Green Bay.
I know, we west coasters were robbed this year. Game should have been in SF

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We drafted 6 rookies on D... That would have to mean we are planning on playing an undrafted FA as well as every rookie.

I wish Ted could draft 7 rookie starters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah we drafted 6 plus have 2 more we kept that were UNDRAFTED rookies: Dezman Holy Moses, and Sean Richardson. All 8 guys made the team.... that's how bad our defense was last year.

RonnieLott42

Cheesehead
Reaction score

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I know about last years defensive problems but I also respect the heck out of Capers and what he can do. Here is an interesting article that I'm sure has been talked about in this forum-
http://www.nfcnblog.com/2012/05/11/the-long-term-effect-of-dom-capers-on-a-defense/

I posted the same or a similar article a week or so ago. Yes that has been his history. Like the article said, if he doesn't field a better defense with the additional infusion of talent by Thompson then I think you have to give a hard look in his direction (baring major injuries of course). I personally thought he was slow to make adjustments last season and should have done a better job. I think offensive coordinators spent more time coming up with schemes against him than he did in the other direction. To me he seemed to rest on his laurels.

RonnieLott42

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1981 NFL Draft

Round One

#35- Green Bay: Gary Lewis, TE, TX-Arlington
#38- Chicago: Mike Singletary, LB, Baylor
#48- Oakland: Howie Long, DT, Villanova
#51- New Orleans: Rickey Jackson, LB, Pitt
I agree on equaling out the mileage that teams travel. The west coast teams are always in the top ten. Check this out-
"As you might suspect, the NFC West gets royally jobbed by their travel requirements every year. Of the 10 longest distances traveled by teams in a given season over the past 10 years, seven belong to either the Seahawks or the 49ers. Last year, our model suggests, the Niners paced the league with 29,212 round-trip miles, but it doesn't know that San Francisco stayed in Ohio between road games against the Bengals and Eagles as opposed to flying back to San Francisco. Once you account for that, the Seahawks led the league by accruing just under 27,000 miles. The Chargers were a nose behind them, which is also no surprise; the three remaining slots in our top 10 belong to seasons from the Chargers and Raiders."
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8125450/packing-miles-hurt-team-overpaying-kicker

I think the Ronnie Lott/ Rich Campbell draft will be more than balanced out by the Alex Smith/ Aaron Rodgers swap. Mike Nolan's name will forever live in infamy.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Ronnie Lott/ Rich Campbell draft will be more than balanced out by the Alex Smith/ Aaron Rodgers swap. Mike Nolan's name will forever live in infamy.
I credit, I mean blame, that 49er miscue on Mike McCarthy :) not Mike Nolan.

RonnieLott42

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted the same or a similar article a week or so ago. Yes that has been his history. Like the article said, if he doesn't field a better defense with the additional infusion of talent by Thompson then I think you have to give a hard look in his direction (baring major injuries of course). I personally thought he was slow to make adjustments last season and should have done a better job. I think offensive coordinators spent more time coming up with schemes against him than he did in the other direction. To me he seemed to rest on his laurels.
Interesting comment 13. To me the article said that personnel losses, either by injury or free agency were the main culprits but then you would know better than I. Maybe last season was a wake up call for Capers. I know how important it is to make adjustments before things get out of hand because teams will keep on calling the same plays over and over until you do make changes.

RonnieLott42

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I credit, I mean blame, that 49er miscue on Mike McCarthy :) not Mike Nolan.
Haha actually the rumor is Nolan had Smith and Rodgers do some stupid exercise totally unrelated to football-
"Smith was slightly taller (two inches). Smith's stock rose before the draft, in the inexplicable ways that have to do with agents and "insider" buzz. The younger Smith was deemed more "coachable" and pliant by the 49ers -- he was willing to do a series of oddball tasks like hop on one foot without questioning why Nolan was asking him to do so (note: pliant is not a good quality in quarterbacks). Rodgers, in contrast, was viewed as cocky (note: cocky is a good quality in quarterbacks). Smith's college coach, Urban Meyer, was the next big thing while Rodgers' coach, Jeff Tedford, was best known for grooming quarterbacks like Kyle Boller and Akili Smith, who turned into first-round busts".

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting comment 13. To me the article said that personnel losses, either by injury or free agency were the main culprits but then you would know better than I. Maybe last season was a wake up call for Capers. I know how important it is to make adjustments before things get out of hand because teams will keep on calling the same plays over and over until you do make changes.
Perhaps I am addressing the article I posted rather than yours. Here it is in its complete context.

"The most important person on Green Bay’s defense this season won’t be wearing a uniform and he won’t be standing on the sidelines. Instead, he’ll be wearing a rug and sitting in the press box. If this defense, one with more questions than answers at this point, is to be significantly better than it was a year ago, Dom Capers is going to have to be at the very top of his game. He wasn’t anywhere close to there in 2011.
The Packers are paying Capers over $2 million a season to be their version of **** LeBeau. He was more like Bob Sanders last season. Granted, it’s hard to be a quality defense without a pass rush and with Charlie Peprah starting in the secondary, but that doesn’t excuse giving up more yards passing than any team in NFL history. It also doesn’t excuse poor gap control, shoddy tackling and missed assignments. The defense was an embarrassing mess a year ago, and the buck has to stop at the man at the top.
Capers didn’t forget how to coordinate a defense overnight, so what happened? That’s hard to say with any degree of certainty, but perhaps he wasn’t as prepared for the season as he could’ve been. You can be sure that every offensive coordinator on the Packers’ schedule spent countless hours during the lockout designing ways to attack Capers’ schemes and blitz packages. Did he work just as ******* his end? Maybe, but it sure didn’t look that way. It seemed as if most offensive coordinators saw his blitzes coming from a mile away. And it seemed as if he was painfully slow to make adjustments of his own.
I recommended Capers for the defensive job back in January 2009 because I respected the work he had done in Pittsburgh, Carolina and Miami. I also remember reading something about Capers around that time (don’t ask me where). The gist of the story was that his defenses usually started out well but regressed after the first few seasons. I did the research, and for the most part, the hypothesis was pretty accurate. I didn’t think all that much of it at the time, but now I can’t stop pondering it. Can you imagine if the defense actually gets worse? Well, you can stop worrying. Thirty-two is as low as it can go."

The Packers did not have Cullen Jenkins or Nick Collins who were important players in 2010. So there is a case for personnel losses last year and the effect it had on the Packer defense. But I don't think their losses explained the poor play of the Packer defense in its entirety. Poor tackling, missed assignments, and poor gap control are inexcusable. Capers didn't seem to follow up on his creativity from the year before. Like I said Thompson gave him some better horses for the upcoming season, he needs to do a better job of riding them.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush has been anounced as the starter at RCB.
Goodness...No Sam Shields..House is still fragile. Woodson at safety.. It gets scary against a pass happy team, but when you consider we were last in total defense last year how can we get any worse. Who knows? 6 rookies on the field might make a difference. The one stat we have to continue is forcing turnovers. It gave our offense enough possessions to score more points. Picture Bush trying to cover Crabtree or even Moss.. Better get to Alex Smith in a hurry.

_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will go 19-0 after last season. Don't believe me? Who cares.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodness...No Sam Shields..House is still fragile. Woodson at safety.. It gets scary against a pass happy team, but when you consider we were last in total defense last year how can we get any worse. Who knows? 6 rookies on the field might make a difference. The one stat we have to continue is forcing turnovers. It gave our offense enough possessions to score more points. Picture Bush trying to cover Crabtree or even Moss.. Better get to Alex Smith in a hurry.

Well Bush is the best we have at this time I fear. I'm praying the injury to House doesn't plague him all year. Bush is a good tackler and that should be a plus against Gore. I'm ok with Woodson at safety.

RonnieLott42

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps I am addressing the article I posted rather than yours. Here it is in its complete context.

"The most important person on Green Bay’s defense this season won’t be wearing a uniform and he won’t be standing on the sidelines. Instead, he’ll be wearing a rug and sitting in the press box. If this defense, one with more questions than answers at this point, is to be significantly better than it was a year ago, Dom Capers is going to have to be at the very top of his game. He wasn’t anywhere close to there in 2011.
The Packers are paying Capers over $2 million a season to be their version of **** LeBeau. He was more like Bob Sanders last season. Granted, it’s hard to be a quality defense without a pass rush and with Charlie Peprah starting in the secondary, but that doesn’t excuse giving up more yards passing than any team in NFL history. It also doesn’t excuse poor gap control, shoddy tackling and missed assignments. The defense was an embarrassing mess a year ago, and the buck has to stop at the man at the top.
Capers didn’t forget how to coordinate a defense overnight, so what happened? That’s hard to say with any degree of certainty, but perhaps he wasn’t as prepared for the season as he could’ve been. You can be sure that every offensive coordinator on the Packers’ schedule spent countless hours during the lockout designing ways to attack Capers’ schemes and blitz packages. Did he work just as ******* his end? Maybe, but it sure didn’t look that way. It seemed as if most offensive coordinators saw his blitzes coming from a mile away. And it seemed as if he was painfully slow to make adjustments of his own.
I recommended Capers for the defensive job back in January 2009 because I respected the work he had done in Pittsburgh, Carolina and Miami. I also remember reading something about Capers around that time (don’t ask me where). The gist of the story was that his defenses usually started out well but regressed after the first few seasons. I did the research, and for the most part, the hypothesis was pretty accurate. I didn’t think all that much of it at the time, but now I can’t stop pondering it. Can you imagine if the defense actually gets worse? Well, you can stop worrying. Thirty-two is as low as it can go."

The Packers did not have Cullen Jenkins or Nick Collins who were important players in 2010. So there is a case for personnel losses last year and the effect it had on the Packer defense. But I don't think their losses explained the poor play of the Packer defense in its entirety. Poor tackling, missed assignments, and poor gap control are inexcusable. Capers didn't seem to follow up on his creativity from the year before. Like I said Thompson gave him some better horses for the upcoming season, he needs to do a better job of riding them.

That was a pretty scathing article. I feel your pain, it's a shame when you have one part of your team, not performing up to par, that lets the other two down. Especially when the other two are doing more than enough to win. With our team it's the O with yours the D.
We've been saying the same thing about Alex Smith on our MB, with all the new toys it's time to get it done or next man up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts