45-man active game day roster

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Since 2011 46 players are active. They're announced on game day and reported by sites covering the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

When is this usually finalized ? Is there anywhere online it can be viewed ?

Thanks

Teams are required to announce their inactive players 90 minutes before kickoff. Most of the time I post them in the official game thread.

D

Deleted member 6794

I must confess, I hope that some of those inactives have clauses in their contracts about active roster bonuses. I would suspect that might play into salary cap savings? Any one know for sure about that aspect of the cap?

That depends on the language of the contract. It's possible to have a player collectc a roster bonus only by being on the 46 game day roster or the 53 active roster. The Packers only have 14 players with a roster bonus as of now, so most of the inactives (aside because of being injured) don't have a roster bonus in their contract.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That depends on the language of the contract. It's possible to have a player collectc a roster bonus only by being on the 46 game day roster or the 53 active roster. The Packers only have 14 players with a roster bonus as of now, so most of the inactives (aside because of being injured) don't have a roster bonus in their contract.
Thank you Capn for that info. That's about 27%. I wonder how that number compares to other teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thank you Capn for that info. That's about 27%. I wonder how that number compares to other teams.

There are only three teams in the league having more players with a roster bonus than the Packers (New England 17, San Francisco 17, Houston 15). The league average is at 9.5.

H

HardRightEdge

I must confess, I hope that some of those inactives have clauses in their contracts about active roster bonuses. I would suspect that might play into salary cap savings? Any one know for sure about that aspect of the cap?
I think you'll find roster bonuses apply mostly to vet player contracts, and usually in fairly modest amounts. Most game day inactives are young players making at or close to the league minimum anyway.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/gb/green-bay-packers?rw=1

If you go to the above link and do a browser word search on "per-game roster", you'll find the following per-game roster bonuses for 2015:

* Bulaga: $500,000 prorated to $31,250 per game
* Burnett: $300,000 prorated to $18,750 per game
Cobb: $500,000 prorated to $31,250 per game
* Guion: $1.15 mil prorated to $71, 875 per game
Matthews: $500,000 prorated to $31,250 per game
Neal: $300,000 prorated to $18,750 per game
* Nelson: $500,000 prorated to $31,250 per game
A. Rodgers: $600,000 prorated to $37,500 per game
Shields: $500,000 prorated to $31,250 per game

* I'd assume there is savings with Nelson and Guion who are/were not on the 53 man roster for all/some games. Bulaga and Burnett? That depends on whether the per game bonus is for the 53 man roster or the game day active roster. With all 4 players, you're looking at something less than $1 mil to date.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

It looks like your 14 player count includes what we might call "season roster bonuses" which are typically paid at the start of the league year in March. Do you find per game roster bonues not included in the list of 9 players above, listed at rotoworld.com?

D

Deleted member 6794

It looks like your 14 player count includes what we might call "season roster bonuses" which are typically paid at the start of the league year in March. Do you find per game roster bonues not included in the list of 9 players above, listed at rotoworld.com?

I forgot to distinguish between per-game roster bonuses and the ones that are paid at the start of the league year. There are only nine players who are actually paid per-game roster bonuses, so the numbers I posted for the entire league are off as well.

Members online

Latest posts