1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

43 yard extra points?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by adambr2, Mar 3, 2014.

1. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,433
  2. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +362
    Being a traditionalist I prefer that they didn't take the conversion kick out of the game.
    I get the argument that as it stands it has become virtually automatic but 42 yards seems a bit extreme.
    I would like to see them give 32 yards a try for a few years.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,022
    A genius that I know points out that the problem is that you can score 50% of the value of a TD from midfield, when the object of the game is to cross the goal line by running or passing for 6 points. So the long field goal is ruining the essence of the game . The answer is to cut the value of field goals as you retreat from the goal line. Lets say 3 points if the LOS is inside the 10 yard line, 2 points from the 11 to 20, and 1 point outside the 20. Or, you could increase the value of a TD. Either way, it would make for some very interesting 4th downs anywhere inside midfield.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luca

Luca Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    Why not raise the bar and/or tighten the goal posts to make long field goal attempts harder.

5. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,433
    This kind of thing, by the way, is why I shake my head every time someone tries to defend a kicker with a "he's one of the most 100 accurate kickers of all time".

It's a different era now. EVERY kicker is in the top 100 most accurate of all time, or they wouldn't have a job. 85% is the new 80%. The real elite can hit 90%. If you're under 80%, you probably have a cannon leg or you wouldn't have work.

6. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    Not a fan of this at all. That's all I got!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,022
    I wouldn't have a problem with that. Anything to decrease the importance of kicking would be ok with me.

8. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +190
    I don't like it because then you have a different situation for 2-point conversions and PATs. What happens if there is a bad snap and now the holder has to scramble? Now a potential 35-ish yard run is only worth 2 points?

Alternative: move the PAT LOS to the one yard line. Make going for 2 less of a risk to entice more teams to go for 2. Instant interest.

9. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +362
    I'd be on board with that.
    I think that would help bring us back to the good old days when kicking for points wasn't such a focal point for winning football games.

10. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +216
    Wish the league would just leave well enough alone, tbh. Take out most of the big hits. Make quarterbacks nearly untouchable. Take out kickoff returns... now take out 1/2 the kicking game? I'm not even 30 years old yet and have only watched NFL seriously for less than 2 decades, yet already this game is hardly the game I was drawn into as a kid.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    THIS

12. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,043
    Leave the XP LOS at the 2 1/2 yd line. Go back to the wide hashmarks of yesteryear for the XP. Offense gets to chooose left or right hash as the starting point. Greatly increases the angle for a kick yet leaves the short play for the 2 pt. Watch a 10yd college FG try some time.

13. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +302
    I like the idea... and would move the LOS back to the 35 yard line for the 2 pt. convert.

14. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    Why 43 yards? Why not make it 39 yards? Why not have the kicker hit a football of a tee with a wooden bat from the 8 yard line for the extra point?

15. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +879
    Or, they could just throw the ball through a circular hoop while on a broom. Wait...

Leave it alone. It's not broken. Don't fix it.

16. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    I was listening to the radio and a rugby player called in on this topic and suggested that they employ the rugby rules for extra points (or whatever they're called in rugby). Basically it was where ever the ball is downed in the endzone is the angle you kick from. So on a 60 yd breakaway run for example, the runner would attempt to get as close to the center of the field before scoring as they can to improve the position of the kick. He wasn't clear on the distance you'd kick from though. I don't know if I like this idea either but it was different. I'm in the camp of leave well enough alone