421 TD's

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre has 177 more passing attempts to legitimately break Dan Marino's record of 420 career TD passes. Marino set his record with 8,358 lifetime passing attempts. Favre currently has 8,181.

Favre has about 5 more games to come up with 8 TD passes.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre has 177 more passing attempts to legitimately break Dan Marino's record of 420 career TD passes. Marino set his record with 8,358 lifetime passing attempts. Favre currently has 8,181.

He'll play two more seasons after this one. He'll put the TD passes record out of reach, even for P Manning. However, he'll also break the INT record.

That's cool though because the main record I want out of Favre is most WINS. He needs two more.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I couldn't see Brett sticking around until he broke those records.
Now they are so close he just has to come back for at least one more year.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why would it not be legitimate if he did it with more pass attempts? This opens up a whole can of worms, because often these cumulative records, in every sport, are broken by players who have played longer. I say a record is a record. The only exceptions, for me, are single-season records that are broken by players who played more games in a season.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Go tell Hank Aaron that his HR record isn't "legitimate"

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Why would it not be legitimate if he did it with more pass attempts? This opens up a whole can of worms, because often these cumulative records, in every sport, are broken by players who have played longer. I say a record is a record. The only exceptions, for me, are single-season records that are broken by players who played more games in a season.

Did you know that no one officially has broken Cleveland Brown RB Jimmy Brown's rushing record of 1863yds accomplished in 1963. Brown did it on 291 carries for a 6.4yd avg. No other NFL RB except Brown has rushed for 1863yds on only 291 carries. Other NFL RB who have rushed for more yardage on more carries are seperate records IMO.

If Brett Favre gets 421 TD passes on more pass attempts than Dan Marino I will just consider a seperate record just like in Brown's case. If anyone thinks otherwise they are just fooling themselves. It would not be the same no matter how you slice it or dice it.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Did you know that no one officially has broken Cleveland Brown RB Jimmy Brown's rushing record of 1863yds accomplished in 1963. Brown did it on 291 carries for a 6.4yd avg. No other NFL RB except Brown has rushed for 1863yds on only 291 carries. Other NFL RB who have rushed for more yardage on more carries are seperate records IMO.

If Brett Favre gets 421 TD passes on more pass attempts than Dan Marino I will just consider a seperate record just like in Brown's case. If anyone thinks otherwise they are just fooling themselves. It would not be the same no matter how you slice it or dice it.

Lol yeah if anyone thinks differently then you then they are just fooling themselves. Nevermind the different eras(regarding Browns rushing record). Nevermind circumstances surrounding different players.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will stay one more season he looks like he is having fun and thats a big part of it, having fun.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol yeah if anyone thinks differently then you then they are just fooling themselves. Nevermind the different eras(regarding Browns rushing record). Nevermind circumstances surrounding different players.

I see that you would love to complicate matters. How far should the NFL go to make adjustments to satisfy you?

Should the NFL make adjustments by the players hight and weight, the height and weight of the teams played against, strength of schedule, won and loss record of the conference played in? The circumstances surrounding different players are never ending.

I just feel if Marino got 420 TD's in 1800 passing attempts and Favre gets 420 TD's in 1900 passing attempts then Favre doesn't legitimately break the record. I would just considerate 2 seperate achievements.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Now, this is all just silly. On nfl.com's site, they have the most yards in a season and it's not owned by Jim Brown, nor is there a little footnote. When OJ broke the record and rushed for 2003 yards, I remember there wasn't a little sidenote that said it took OJ more attempts so his record isn't legit. Now Eric ****erson owns that record and there's no footnote saying that he didn't legitimately break OJ's record.

Brown of course is remembered as possibly the best running back of all time, and he's in the Hall of Fame. But he no longer holds the most yards in a season record.

By the same merit, do we discount LT's record breaking point scoring over Paul Horning, since Horning scored 176 points in only 12 games?

Favre will earn the record for most TDs plain and simple. Nobody in the right mind will put an asterisk by his TD record because it took him more attempts to do it. :crazy:

Not only will Favre break the record next year, he'll play two more years after this and keep it out of reach for even P Manning. If you go to any record site, whether it's the NFL, the Hall of Fame, www.pro-football-reference.com, the World Almanac, etc., nobody's going to have a footnote that said it took Favre more attempts to get those TDs. Once a record is broken, it's broken.

With all due respect, Marino was awesome! I loved watching him play, and it's sad Miami never had a complete team around him to get him an SB ring. I think that's his biggest regret, not the records. But Favre would have thrown more TDs by the time Favre retires. And P Manning will throw more TDs than Marino as well by the time Manning retires.

Twenty years from now, some guy might come along and break Favre's record. That's life though. Records just don't last in the NFL.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

I see that you would love to complicate matters. How far should the NFL go to make adjustments to satisfy you?

Should the NFL make adjustments by the players hight and weight, the height and weight of the teams played against, strength of schedule, won and loss record of the conference played in? The circumstances surrounding different players are never ending.

I just feel if Marino got 420 TD's in 1800 passing attempts and Favre gets 420 TD's in 1900 passing attempts then Favre doesn't legitimately break the record. I would just considerate 2 seperate achievements.

You can have your opinion that's all fine and good. But to try and discredit what everyone else thinks on the matter that doesn't share that opinion is both ignorant and shows insecurity. The NFL doesn't have asterisks next to records such as Emmit Smiths rushing record. It won't if Brett comes back and breaks the TD record, either.

Members online

Latest posts