1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

333 posts

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by bavpb, May 3, 2006.

1. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    First I wanted to dedicate my 333th post to the Battle of Issus in 333 BC when Alexander the Great of Macedonia defeated Darius III of Persia and......

[​IMG]

but i decided another topic.

The (German)Bavarian beer law

Beer brewing has been regulated by law in Germany for over 800 years. A long-standing tradition to which all German brewers still remain true today:

In 1165 a fine was levied in Augsburg for serving "inferior" beer.
    In 1487 Duke Albrecht IV proclaimed a regulation establishing a uniform beer price.
    "One measure winter beer shall cost one pfennig and a measure summer beer shall cost two pfennigs." Each brewer was required to, from that time on, swear a "PREU-AID" (Brew oath) before the ducal treasurer, whereby he would "use only barley, hops and water for the beer, knowledgeably simmer it and add nothing else nor allow anyone else to add anything." This regulation was originally only decreed for Munich. In 1987 this 500 year old regulation was renewed by the Munich brewers.

1493 George the Rich of Bayers-Landshut proclaimed a regulation which was extended to all of Bavaria in 1516 by Duke Wilhelm IV. This regulation is well-known as the

German Beer Purity Law from 1516
    "How beer should be served and brewed in summer and winter in the principality"
    "Herewith, we decree, order, express and wish, together with the Privy Council, that from this day forth everywhere in the Principality of Bavaria, in the countryside as in the towns and marketplaces, wherever no other specific ordinance applies, from St. Michael's Day until St. George's Day a measure or head of beer shall not be sold for more than one pfennig Munich currency and from St. George's Day until St. Michael's Day a measure shall not be sold for more than two pfennigs of the same currency, nor a head for more than three haller. Violators of this decree shall be punished as prescribed below. Whoever should brew a beer other than Maerzen, is forbidden, under any circumstances, to serve or sell a measure for more than one pfennig. We especially wish that, from this point on and everywhere in the countryside as well as in the towns and marketplaces, nothing is to be added to or used in beer other than barley, hops and water. Whosoever knowingly disobeys this decree will be severely punished by the court having jurisdiction over him by having his barrel of beer confiscated whenever this offense occurs. Whenever an innkeeper buys beer at the prescribed price from any brewery in the countryside as well as in the towns and marketplaces, he is allowed to resell it privately to the lowly peasantry for one haller more than the price of the measure or head of beer stipulated above."

(Translator's note: "measure" and "head" were units of volume and "pfennig" and "haller" were monetary units in use at that time. "Maerzen" was a somewhat stronger beer brewed in late winter, which is still brewed today.)
    [​IMG]

Cheers, Prost, Salute

[​IMG]

Harald

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    CONGRATS Harald! I'll tip a "Rolling Rock" to you!

3. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    let's see what I have...

4. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    1317 BC

Events and trends
    The Bhagavad Gita is written, according to some Hindu traditions.

Significant people
    Shalmaneser I succeeded his father as king of Assyria.

1317 AD

The Great Famine of 1315-1317 (or to 1322) was the first of a series of large-scale crises that struck Europe early in the 14th century, causing millions of deaths over an extended number of years and marking a clear end to an earlier period of growth and prosperity during the 11th through 13th centuries. Starting with bad weather in the spring of 1315, universal crop failures lasted through 1316 until the summer of 1317; Europe did not fully recover until 1322. It was a period marked by extreme levels of criminal activity, disease and mass death, infanticide, and cannibalism. It had consequences for Church, State, European society and future calamities to follow in the 14th century.

[​IMG]

Deaths
    February 7 - Robert, Count of Clermont, French founder of the House of Bourbon (born 1256)
    February 14 - Marguerite of France, queen of Edward I of England (born 1282)
    October 8 - Emperor Fushimi of Japan (born 1265)
    William de Ros, 2nd Baron de Ros, claimant to the crown of Scotland (born 1255)
    Ramkhamhaeng the Great, King of Sukhothai (born 1239)
    Shri Madhvacharya, saint (born 1238)

5. Miskito

Miskito Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was waiting to hear the "BING" from the old school projectors after I read each sentence.

jk, bavpb. Quite enjoyable.

6. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    LOLOLOL!!!! That was TOO much!!! (Didn't i see them on the last American Idol show???) "Moscow, Moscow, ho ho ho ho ho!!!" LOLOL!!! :lol:

8. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Moskau, Moskau, wodka trinkt man pur und kalt, das macht hundert jahre alt hey hey hey :D:D:D:DD:D:D:D

9. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats Harold!!! I am still working my up..:)

10. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Waaaahhhhh ha ha ha ha ha!!! I had high hopes, ho ho ho ho ho, that this one would never again come to my ears, ho ho ho ha ha, and eyes again. ho ho ho ho ho!!
    Thanks so much, Gakk!! :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Now, that contest was back in 1979. ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa... Sorry, that one went away with me. :oops:

Gakk, you surely know the famous musicians "Teeny, Glam, Sporty und Flash"?? Their band is called "Wigwam" and they took part in the same contest in 2005
    Take a look!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:lol: :lol:

11. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    lol of course harald, they represented norway :p

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Was that Norway's version of "The Village People?" :shock: :lol:

13. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    connnggraduullatiiionnssunnnssuunssss

14. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Alan, thats exactly what I thought and they are the norwegian 2005-version of the Village People.
    I liked Glam's (the blackhaired gay aahhhm guy) belly most. :lol: :lol:

Oslo, Oslo, throw these boys hard at the wall, ho ho ho ho hoooh!!! :lol: :lol: