3 things that are bothering me...

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kinda know the answers to these questions already(because ted thompson doesnt do anything, but build through the draft.), but...
1) Why didnt we pick up mike bell? I know alot of you love grant, but this guy could be good and could spell him.
2) why didnt we pick up that safety from the rams? i forget his name. or cromartie as a corner for depth?
3) why didnt we do something to replace johnny jolly or get a consistant pass rusher when we knew that was our weakness?
oh well i guess im just getting worked up for no reason... im sure we'll be fine. these questions are just bothering me. :viksux::chisux::detsux:

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
mike bell is whack
OJ. Atogwe the safety from the rams wants BIG MONEY
Cromartie is a horrible cover corner and doesnt fit our system..
and Mike Neal is everything and then some Jolly ever was...
does that help?

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1. We dont pick up free agents we build almost exclusively through the draft.

I dont see a need for any of those guys anyhow.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) I don't see the hype around Mike Bell. He put up great numbers in the limited amount of snaps he saw with the Saints but he doesn't really impress me. Plus he just very injury prone, he just got injured again Fantasy Football Breaking News - Rotoworld.com

2) OJ Atogwe would've been a nice pickup, however I'd rather not spend too much money on the safety positions. We already gave Nick Collins a nice contract and Bigby is dying to get his payday. Imagine what message we would send to Bigby and Burnett by bringing in Atogwe, both players would hardly want to get in on the action since they'd know he would be the clear cut starter. About Cromartie, he said he hates playing in a zone-defense like the way the Chargers did last season. We run a zone defense. Nuff said.

3) Dude... were you watching the first preseason game? I know Pickett might not be the long term answer at LE but Justing Harrell and Mike Neal were beasting. Harrell was bull rushing the other guy all night and Mike Neal can open up blitz lanes like nothing. Sure we'll miss Jolly's ability to bat down passes, but I think our overall pass rush will be better with these two guys.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neal and Burnett have been amazing for rookies in camp so that should address two of your issues. That rams safety wanted huge money and really wasnt that good. Did you have any idea who he was until he was asking for $?

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks for calming me on most parts guys... still i think we need to get a running back by committee going with another decent back. and the guys upfront could be ok, but i hope they did something about the inside linebackers so our dbs arent so exposed. I know its the 1st preseason game, but im one of those losers for which the packers are my life lol.:friends:

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're overreacting and reading way too much into a week 1 pre-season game.

For starters, we sign plenty of free agents. We just sign our own rather than someone else's castoffs. We signed Ryan Pickett, and Nick Collins to long term extensions and signed Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher just this year.

Another thing, just because there's a free agent out there from another team doesn't mean he's gonna be a good fit for our team. If you look at most of the championship teams of the past decade, most of them make very few, if any free agent acquisitions. Building through the draft has proven to be the best method for building a long-term championship quality team.

Next, Cromartie is lazy and doesn't like to play the scheme we have. Automatic bad fit. Folks have already commented on the Atogwe contract demands. No way we pay the price he was tendered at.

Finally, we picked up CJ Wilson and Mike Neal to address our defensive line and to serve as a replacement for Jolly, whom I believe is done being a Packer. Neal already looked strong in our past game, and Wilson is going to be a work in progress. All in all I think we're more than fine.

I do think our secondary got exploited this past weekend, but I'm chalking that up to a mostly vanilla scheme played most of the game.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Cromartie, but the whole 7 children with five women in like three years in San Diego is scary. How can the guy's mind be on football?

Mike Bell is average at best. I agree, I would have liked a FA pickup to compliment Grant.

The guy I want is Adalius Thomas. The guy is a pass rush 3-4 OLB. He would provide great depth with Jones and Chillar and insurance for Matthews. He's the guy GB should take a flyer on.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson, Pickett, Grant, and Chillar have all been good free-agent moves (or trades). He could have gotten a few more, I agree. We still have weaknesses--can you name a single team in the NFL that doesn't? That's what parity is all about. Bottom line: we're much better off after 5 years of TT than we were at the end of Sherman's regime as GM from 2001 through 2004.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kinda know the answers to these questions already(because ted thompson doesnt do anything, but build through the draft.), but...
1) Why didnt we pick up mike bell? I know alot of you love grant, but this guy could be good and could spell him.
2) why didnt we pick up that safety from the rams? i forget his name. or cromartie as a corner for depth?
3) why didnt we do something to replace johnny jolly or get a consistant pass rusher when we knew that was our weakness?
oh well i guess im just getting worked up for no reason... im sure we'll be fine. these questions are just bothering me. :viksux::chisux::detsux:

TT will never invest in a Free Agent demanding a big contract (Pass Rushers - DB's)
Mike Bell runs like Ryan Grant, why would we need another back like him?
Johnny Jolly is only going to be missed on the depth chart, b/c the rest of the STARTING line has just as much potential or more then last year's D LINE.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson, Pickett, Grant, and Chillar have all been good free-agent moves (or trades). He could have gotten a few more, I agree. We still have weaknesses--can you name a single team in the NFL that doesn't? That's what parity is all about. Bottom line: we're much better off after 5 years of TT than we were at the end of Sherman's regime as GM from 2001 through 2004.

I agree totally, I think TT has done a great job and the fruits of his labor are on the brink of flourishing...but, these question marks we got will overshadow all the good TT has done, and it's very easy to forget the good, and only think about the bad...by the way, I couldn't stand Mike Sherman as a GM and HC.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree totally, I think TT has done a great job and the fruits of his labor are on the brink of flourishing...but, these question marks we got will overshadow all the good TT has done, and it's very easy to forget the good, and only think about the bad...by the way, I couldn't stand Mike Sherman as a GM and HC.

I liked Sherman the coach, until he caved into the whims of The Interceptor. As a GM, he was a disaster. Thompson turned the team around much faster than I would have ever guessed, given the cap mess he inherited.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did give woodson a pretty big contract (over 50 mil I think) and I believe the majority of people thought he was nuts.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I read in a magazine that we were the only team to offer Woodson a contract. He said he didn't want to come here but he didn't really have a choice.

He loves it now, though, so don't worry.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read in a magazine that we were the only team to offer Woodson a contract. He said he didn't want to come here but he didn't really have a choice.

He loves it now, though, so don't worry.

Only team and we paid 50 million? Who were we bidding against? ourselves? I think we might have been the only one to make an offer for the amount he wanted but it wasnt like the Brian Westbrook signing this week, where he sat around until late in the year for someone to pick him up. It doesnt make sense you would pay someone 50 mil that no one else wants.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
The magazine's in my locker at work. I'll try to remember to bring it home tomorrow so I can post the exact quote.

But you're probably right, I would imagine we were the only team to offer him a contract anywhere in the neighborhood of the kind of money he wanted.

Members online

Latest posts