3-4 or 4-3 Defense?

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense finished this season ninth in points allowed cracking the top 10 for the first time since 2010. Unfortunately the Niners were a terrible matchup for the unit but overall there's no doubt it's significantly improved over the past seasons.
I don't necessarily agree about a significant improvement. We faced a lot of anemic offenses this year that skewed the numbers. Look what happened every time we faced a good offense...our D got lit up and that is absolutely not a sign of improvement.

D

Deleted member 6794

Okllkkk? Then the following year they gave up 37 to an Eli Manning led Giants team. And since the. The D hasn’t once given them a chance at another SuperBowl

You have to consider that the Packers lost Nick Collins to a career ending injury in week 1 of the 2011 season though.

I don't necessarily agree about a significant improvement. We faced a lot of anemic offenses this year that skewed the numbers. Look what happened every time we faced a good offense...our D got lit up and that is absolutely not a sign of improvement.

The Packers faced a total of seven top 10 scoring offenses this season. Aside of the two games vs. the Niners they gave up an average of 19.4 points in those games. Once again, they matched up terrible with San Francisco.

Grode80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to consider that the Packers lost Nick Collins to a career ending injury in week 1 of the 2011 season though.

The Packers faced a total of seven top 10 scoring offenses this season. Aside of the two games vs. the Niners they gave up an average of 19.4 points in those games. Once again, they matched up terrible with San Francisco.
Yeah sure when we had Nick or Charles that D was scary, but honestly once Nick Collins went down the D was never the same. Im just saying outside of the Super Bowl and the year or two before and after the Defense never lived up to expectations. I’m also not saying we need to move to a 4-3 right now, but personally I’ve always preferred it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah sure when we had Nick or Charles that D was scary, but honestly once Nick Collins went down the D was never the same. Im just saying outside of the Super Bowl and the year or two before and after the Defense never lived up to expectations. I’m also not saying we need to move to a 4-3 right now, but personally I’ve always preferred it.
we ran the 4-3 for a long time too and had as much success as we've had with the 3-4.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that the Packers defense hasn't performed up to expectations for most of the past seasons since winning the Super Bowl in 2010 but in my opinion a lack of talent is the primary reason for it with the base scheme not being an issue at all.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the Packers defense hasn't performed up to expectations for most of the past seasons since winning the Super Bowl in 2010 but in my opinion a lack of talent is the primary reason for it with the base scheme not being an issue at all.
Kevin Greene won that Super Bowl more so than Capers, the scheme, and the player talent level. He COACHED his unit (and the overall defense) to perfection when they were beaten, bruised, bloodied, and understaffed due to injuries. COACHING supercedes everything and 8f you don't believe me, take a look at whose name is on the Super Bowl trophy. There is a damn good reason for it

D

Deleted member 6794

Kevin Greene won that Super Bowl more so than Capers, the scheme, and the player talent level. He COACHED his unit (and the overall defense) to perfection when they were beaten, bruised, bloodied, and understaffed due to injuries. COACHING supercedes everything and 8f you don't believe me, take a look at whose name is on the Super Bowl trophy. There is a damn good reason for it

Kevin Greene was an integral part of the coaching staff in 2010 but he definitely wasn't the main reason the team won the Super Bowl that year.

The Super Bowl trophy being named after Lombardi doesn't mean that coaching supercedes everything by any means either.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
3-4 or 4-3 it would not have mattered against the 49ers once your in the DBacks area no one could stop them, fix the soft Dbacks, with some tacklers to improve the D..

D

Deleted member 6794

3-4 or 4-3 it would not have mattered against the 49ers once your in the DBacks area no one could stop them, fix the soft Dbacks, with some tacklers to improve the D..

It's completely the wrong approach to blame the defensive backs for the unit's struggle to stop the run against the Niners.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's completely the wrong approach to blame the defensive backs for the unit's struggle to stop the run against the Niners.
Agree, they seemed to often be the only guys willing to get in anyone's way. I think Zsmith played OK at times, and was lost at others. Clark was petty decent. I don't remember really watching Lowry. Saw Keke make a play, but i don't remember seeing him do much else. Goodson was playing it seemed, but he's limited. Martinez was getting walked out of every play way, way too easily and the rest of the DL, didn't focus enough on anyone player, but everyone seemed to be out there not trying to take or hold ground very much at all.

I would not put it on the DB's as almost everyone in front of them seemed very unwilling to put up much of a fight much of the night.

Members online

Latest posts