2nd day draft wish list

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deion Jones strikes me a good player but doesn't quite have the speed or explosiveness to make up for his lack of size in my mind. Although I do like the spring in his feet and his short area quickness looks good picking up crossing routes and backs coming out of the backfield. I like that he can play in the slot and he looked good to me in his backpedal in cover situations. I'd be ok with him if the team thinks he's good enough of course picking him might demand the acquisition of more DL beef in rounds 3-5.

We also need another player who projects as a true outside cover corner, Hyde is a slot guy and Rollins might be as well... hard to tell at this point. Oh and we need some fresh OL depth too.

Jones ran sub 4.4 at his pro day. He has plenty of speed.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones ran sub 4.4 at his pro day. He has plenty of speed.

Yeah I was looking at his 4.59 at combine. I have misgivings about 222 pound ILBs but from watching his game tape against Florida he looks pretty good turning and running with guys, fluid and graceful. Big issue, can we keep him clean?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I was looking at his 4.59 at combine. I have misgivings about 222 pound ILBs but from watching his game tape against Florida he looks pretty good turning and running with guys, fluid and graceful. Big issue, can we keep him clean?

Just don't let him room with Guion and we good :D

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check out his last play against Florida,

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I don't think we've had a backer not named Clay Matthews who could have a chance at making that play since... I can't remember.

D

Deleted member 6794

One for 3rd day consideration (other than Beniquez Brown and Blake Martinez) that would help down the road is the quick ILB from Oklahoma Dominque Alexander. He ran a sub 4.6 if memory serves and is good in coverage. Again though wouldn't be impact player yet and may never contribute more than situational passing downs.

Alexander is pretty good in coverage but a liability against the run. He could end up being a nice dime linebacker though.

Deion Jones strikes me a good player but doesn't quite have the speed or explosiveness to make up for his lack of size in my mind. Although I do like the spring in his feet and his short area quickness looks good picking up crossing routes and backs coming out of the backfield. I like that he can play in the slot and he looked good to me in his backpedal in cover situations. I'd be ok with him if the team thinks he's good enough of course picking him might demand the acquisition of more DL beef in rounds 3-5.

Deion Jones is super athletic but unfortunately a completely overrated football player. I would be mad if the Packers end up drafting him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander is pretty good in coverage but a liability against the run. He could end up being a nice dime linebacker though.

Deion Jones is super athletic but unfortunately a completely overrated football player. I would be mad if the Packers end up drafting him.

Okay I was just gonna type something similar...Deion to me is worthy if on 3rd day.

And yea, I think 3rd day pick on Alexander is a good value pick for nothing else than future dime LB + STs

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I don't think we've had a backer not named Clay Matthews who could have a chance at making that play since... I can't remember.

Watched the film. Not much there that impressed me. Sure, when he went unblocked he delivered a hit, but he seemed to get lost in coverage, dropped an easy pick, was blocked easily and ran himself out of several plays. Reminded me of a guy we already have, Joe Thomas. I will pass.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones would be a great special teamer I bet, but hes no plug and play guy on D. At least not early in his career. The dude needs some coaching. Its apparent.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched the film. Not much there that impressed me. Sure, when he went unblocked he delivered a hit, but he seemed to get lost in coverage, dropped an easy pick, was blocked easily and ran himself out of several plays. Reminded me of a guy we already have, Joe Thomas. I will pass.

I thought the reaction and speed on that last play were impressive, he bites too hard and overreacts... won't be able to cover his butt as well when he does that in the NFL. Don't really want him either, but he is better than Thomas. He has those video game glitch reactions, you never know when he might dive off in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another ILB nobody talks much about, but I have seen him play, and hes a pretty good one, is Cassanova McKinzy from Auburn. He might be worth a look in the middle rounds somewhere.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the reaction and speed on that last play were impressive, he bites too hard and overreacts... won't be able to cover his butt as well when he does that in the NFL. Don't really want him either, but he is better than Thomas. He has those video game glitch reactions, you never know when he might dive off in the wrong direction.

Who the hell isn't?

H

HardRightEdge

Which play. It's a 5 minute tape.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, day 2, rounds 2 and 3. Plenty of good players left, plenty of questions and risks.
I'm setting aside guys I think will be gone early, like the 'Bama Dlinemen, or the medical red flags that we don't know enough as to how red those flags are, such as with Ragland.
LB
Kamalei Correa, Edge/OLB-
I'd like to move him inside, while bouncing him outside occasionally as a pass rusher.
S'ua Cravens, OLB, USC- I see size as being too big an issue in the NFL for him, but if used properly- and if you could develop a role for him- his speed and athleticism are hard to ignore.
Eric Stryker,OLB, Oklahoma and Kentrell Brothers, ILB, Missouri.- both are undersized guys, and Brothers may have issues in coverage, but otherwise, both are outstanding players. I'd have both in the inside, with Stryker occasionally coming off the edge.
Josh Perry,ILB, Ohio St., and Shillique Calhoun, Edge/OLB, Mich.St. are intriguing 'down the road' prospects. Calhoun needs work and coaching, so would probably not be more than a situational one trick pony pass rusher at first (although a general lack of speed and quickness off the edge worries me even for just that role). Perry is a solid thumper inside, but just a two down guy.

Off. Line
Kyle Murphy, OT-G, Stanford-
only knock I've found on him is he needs to put on some weight and get stronger, especially in the legs. Grades high in every phase, high effort, versatile guy who can play both G and T , both sides.
Jason Spriggs,OT,Indiana, Le'Raven Clark,OT,Texas Tech, Caleb Benenoch, OT-G, UCLA, and Joe Haeg, OT, North Dakota St. are all projects. They'll need to gain size and strength, get good coaching and time,but all will be solid to very good pros and likely starters in a year or two.

My thoughts.
Outside of a big trade up or a big continued drop by one of the top Dlinemen/pass rusher types, if staying at or near #57, there are two guys I'm focused on.
Correa, IMO, can be moved to ILB and become a very good player for us.
Murphy is by far and away the Olineman of choice for me. His ability and versatility would be huge for us now and down the road. Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't been picked yet.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut myself short clock watching.
Other guys I'm interested in for tonight';

LB's-K. Fackrell
Dline- Kaufisi, Bullard, Jones
Oline- Nick Martin, C-G, Notre Dame

H

HardRightEdge

Ummm the last play, couldn't help it. Go to about 4:36 to watch the replay where he breaks up a pass on 4th down.

Actually you could have helped it, but that's neither here nor there. And actually, Clay Matthews could not make that play which is one of a few reasons why he'll not be at ILB. Nice play, that, even if might have gotten away with a little grab.

Members online

No members online now.