29th pick.. Eric stokes db

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Extending Jaire will lower his cap hit. As it stands the 13 million is all salary from the 5th year option. They will convert most if not all of that to a signing bonus and lower the hit. It will probably still be in the neighborhood of 5 or 6 million but we will save some on the cap.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...Stokes good.

Correct an extension darn better include lowering that hit otherwise may not be wise to do.

As for the trade discussion, since some run with such things - I'm not in any way defending that stance...but I shared my thoughts on that option over on another thread since this discussion more directly involves Jaire and the cap and not Stokes.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder where Stokes goes in a redraft? There were a bunch of tremendous players that are looking very promising. Could be one of the better drats of all time. But I think he climbs into the top 16.

Tough year to figure. With covid-opt-outers, bowl games cancelled, less insider info, and no combine. But man some posters missed the mark. I was told that there were a bunch of players the media had way wrong.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder where Stokes goes in a redraft? There were a bunch of tremendous players that are looking very promising. Could be one of the better drats of all time. But I think he climbs into the top 16.

Tough year to figure. With covid-opt-outers, bowl games cancelled, less insider info, and no combine. But man some posters missed the mark. I was told that there were a bunch of players the media had way wrong.

Honestly just quick review I'd say he does break the top 20 if true redraft happened.

Reaction score
He’s live up to a late Day 1 selection. Those top several Corners in the draft should be able to get on the job training. I think he’s really a #2 CB his Rookie season (plays against a typical #2 WR) that can be asked to lead his group when necessary. He’s really looked good overall and this early experience is going to only make him stronger.
Ideally you want a true #1 Veteran Corner like J’aire etc.. to play alongside. Hopefully pushing him back into a #2 role increases his individual production this postseason.
Stones has room to grow, but he’s an above average CB as a Rookie. That’s a compliment competing against veteran peers.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Decided to add a signed Stokes helmet for he eventual man cave (when I finally finish out basement).

Was fun seeing how disliked this pick was by some too.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly just quick review I'd say he does break the top 20 if true redraft happened.
He had a great rookie year. Early on he made up for coverage mistakes with his speed. As the season went on, he just got better at reading routes and QBs and covering w/o always having to rely on speed. He's a special player and he'll only get better.

Alexander, Stokes, and now Douglas sure make up for years of using 1st and 2nd round picks on corners and the occasional safety (H.H.Clinton-Dix).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had a great rookie year. Early on he made up for coverage mistakes with his speed. As the season went on, he just got better at reading routes and QBs and covering w/o always having to rely on speed. He's a special player and he'll only get better.

Alexander, Stokes, and now Douglas sure make up for years of using 1st and 2nd round picks on corners and the occasional safety (H.H.Clinton-Dix).

His speed helped make up for his issues early in the season, it was magnificent seeing him rely less and less on his speed to make plays. He could become something special, I don't see a Jaire level guy, but Top 30 in the league type for sure.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This is why the cupboard was bare at WR this past draft. Too many wasted high picks at DB over the previous 5-7 drafts.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why the cupboard was bare at WR this past draft. Too many wasted high picks at DB over the previous 5-7 drafts.
That's right. I think there were two consecutive years where they went 1st and 2nd round at CB. It seems like there were 5-7 very high picks at CB, all failed, that could have been used at WR. Off the top of my head - Damarius Randal, Quentin Rollins, Josh Jackson. And then they let Micah Hyde and Casey Hayward walk.......

And taking it further, why wouldn't a GM stock the WR group with at least two studs when a guy like Rodgers is QB? So rather than the conventional and flawed thinking - Rodgers can make anyone look good - why not get a generational QB the best WR talent? That thinking about Rodgers always saving the day has been around for years. Well, it seems that way. Probably why there's been only one SB win during his tenure.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That's right. I think there were two consecutive years where they went 1st and 2nd round at CB. It seems like there were 5-7 very high picks at CB, all failed, that could have been used at WR. Off the top of my head - Damarius Randal, Quentin Rollins, Josh Jackson. And then they let Micah Hyde and Casey Hayward walk.......

And taking it further, why wouldn't a GM stock the WR group with at least two studs when a guy like Rodgers is QB? So rather than the conventional and flawed thinking - Rodgers can make anyone look good - why not get a generational QB the best WR talent? That thinking about Rodgers always saving the day has been around for years. Well, it seems that way. Probably why there's been only one SB win during his tenure.
Need to recall we had a dementia afflicted GM getting players for a failing def Coord. The head coach hung on to his staff out of loyalty long past their usefulness.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Need to recall we had a dementia afflicted GM getting players for a failing def Coord. The head coach hung on to his staff out of loyalty long past their usefulness.
Good description of the situation. I wonder how long and how much TT's problems affected his work. No doubt the HC and DC were kept for far too long. Some of that I put on Murphy. MM stayed at least 3 years past his expiration date and ditto for TT.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stokes needs to be better. Not too impressed yet. Needs good coaching. Kind of looks like a King clone to me so far.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stokes needs to be better. Not too impressed yet. Needs good coaching. Kind of looks like a King clone to me so far.
I don't think he will be as utterly bad as King, but he needs coaching. Stokes relies on speed over technique. That's a coaching issue. He has talent, but the coaching staff for this D is suspect, starting with Barry.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In no way way is Stokes comparable to King when it comes to coverage skills. Stokes was consistently on his receiver but struggled to time his leaps on contested catches. King, on the other hand was often burned and doesn't have the change of direction as Stokes. King is out of football for a reason. He was terrible. Does anyone really imagine that if the Packers let Stokes go, he'd be out of football because all of the other teams believe he wasn't better than the 200th cb in the league?

Reaction score
Stokes is still pretty raw. He got thrown to the Wolves once J’aire went down the other year. He was our CB1 and at least held his own. As far as King? I don’t think King could have ever taken CB1 role for more than 1-2 games as a patch

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In no way way is Stokes comparable to King when it comes to coverage skills. Stokes was consistently on his receiver but struggled to time his leaps on contested catches. King, on the other hand was often burned and doesn't have the change of direction as Stokes. King is out of football for a reason. He was terrible. Does anyone really imagine that if the Packers let Stokes go, he'd be out of football because all of the other teams believe he wasn't better than the 200th cb in the league?
Agree. I think Stokes is a very good CB. He's fast and can stay with his man. He needs to work on his reads, and then get his head turned around to track the ball. Comparisons to King are nuts.

I think it would also help, with such athletic corners, to play more man. Disrupt the receivers at the line of scrimmage. Yeah, it doesn't work well with a running QB, and there are more and more of those. But please, less soft zone.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same King? The guy that got burned by Tampa's #3 WR for a TD just before half in the NFCCG? He had King beat by five yards. Nothing like Stokes. Stokes needs work, but he'll be fine with some coaching.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you guys are correct. I see more King in him than I do Sam Shields. Body type, tackling. Not great at coverage. He's young though and not going anywhere so we'll see.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same King? The guy that got burned by Tampa's #3 WR for a TD just before half in the NFCCG? He had King beat by five yards.
That was tough on King. He was playing against the field goal and got beat bad because of that, w/o any help...which he should have had some.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was tough on King. He was playing against the field goal and got beat bad because of that, w/o any help...which he should have had some.
It wasn't his his fault alone. The coaches should have made him aware and had safety help in place. Everyone on the Packers D was playing for a sideline pass to set up a FG. Even so, there's no reason for a CB to get that de-cleated by a #3 WR. Well, and by Tom Brady and Bruce Ariens.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King should never be 1 on 1 with the fastest guy on the field in that situation defending against the FG. Even had we got good pressure on Brady, it was wide, wide open. With the speed mismatch all he'd have had to do in a worst case scenario is float it out there to run underneath it. King was never going to keep up. Neither would anybody else with that speed discrepancy in that defense.
Anyway, Stokes had a decent rookie season often being in good position, but failing to make a play on the ball sometimes. Certainly forgivable for a rookie and encouraging to see how he could cover. But he was fairly disappointing last year and then got hurt. We'll see what becomes of him, at this point I'm leaning he'll be pretty good, but at this point i'm not going to argue really hard one way or the other.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that Stokes had a pretty impressive rookie campaign but seemed to regress last season for some reason before being lost for the season with an injury. I'm still confident he might develop into a very good cornerback but he needs to improve upon his play from 2022.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looked like the entire starting secondary regressed last year over the first 10-12 games before Alexander turned in some great games down the stretch. Stokes' mediocre play was probably linked to poor coaching as much as anything. The linebackers and the d line didn't play much better either. That's why I'm alarmed that Joe Barry is coming back as the DC. His defenses were too soft and didn't put his talented players in a position to succeed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts