25th Anniversary of the "Instant Replay Game"

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a good article remembering the Instant Replay Game.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...6/instant-replay-game-packers-bears/18627459/

My only comment about the play is that if Don's foot was on the 15 yard line when he released the ball, his arm would have needed to be 3 feet long (1 yard) in order for the ball to have crossed the 14. That's assuming that his arm was parallel with the ground. It likely was at an upward angle at the point of release, so his arm would have actually needed to be longer than 3 feet.

Good call. The right call. Mike Singletary knows it.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the greatest plays in the history of the rivalry, if only because it still is such an irritation to Bears fans. The Starr sneak to win the Ice Bowl and the Cowboys' (continued) claim of false start by Kramer is another one.

H

HardRightEdge

There is a good article remembering the Instant Replay Game.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...6/instant-replay-game-packers-bears/18627459/

My only comment about the play is that if Don's foot was on the 15 yard line when he released the ball, his arm would have needed to be 3 feet long (1 yard) in order for the ball to have crossed the 14. That's assuming that his arm was parallel with the ground. It likely was at an upward angle at the point of release, so his arm would have actually needed to be longer than 3 feet.

Good call. The right call. Mike Singletary knows it.
Yeah, but was there a second shooter on the grassy knoll?

While this play was one of the few great highlights of the Packer dark ages, I think your recollection is a bit off. Check the video:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The tip of the ball at the snap is about 2 ft. past the 15. Majik's plant foot was a bit over the 15. His hand would have only needed to be 1 1/2 - 2 ft. past his plant foot on release. That's entirely possible.

The league wisely changed the rule to make it easier to call and review except if it happens to be a rare jump pass:

"Note: It is a forward pass from beyond the line of scrimmage if the passer’s entire body and the ball are beyond
the line of scrimmage when the ball is released, whether the passer is airborne or touching the ground. The
penalty for a forward pass thrown from beyond the line is enforced from the spot where the ball is released."

Further, there have been changes over the years as to how judgement should be applied in replay. This play preceded the "indisputable visual evidence" guidance currently in the rules. While that guidance is occasionally overlooked in favor of preponderance-of-the-evidence interpretations, I think we could all agree this play would not be overturned under the more sensible rules that apply in today's game.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, but was there a second shooter on the grassy knoll?

While this play was one of the few great highlights of the Packer dark ages, I think your recollection is a bit off. Check the video:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The tip of the ball at the snap is about 2 ft. past the 15. Majik's plant foot was a bit over the 15. His hand would have only needed to be 1 1/2 - 2 ft. past his plant foot on release. That's entirely possible.

The league wisely changed the rule to make it easier to call and review except if it happens to be a rare jump pass:

"Note: It is a forward pass from beyond the line of scrimmage if the passer’s entire body and the ball are beyond
the line of scrimmage when the ball is released, whether the passer is airborne or touching the ground. The
penalty for a forward pass thrown from beyond the line is enforced from the spot where the ball is released."

Further, there have been changes over the years as to how judgement should be applied in replay. This play preceded the "indisputable visual evidence" guidance currently in the rules. While that guidance is occasionally overlooked in favor of preponderance-of-the-evidence interpretations, I think we could all agree this play would not be overturned under the more sensible rules that apply in today's game.
I enjoyed the results but have always felt the Packers got away with one then. Nowadays the play couldn't be challenged as it was a penalty being reviewed. I think penalties beyond 12 men on the field should be but that is a different discussion.

Members online

Latest posts