1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

21 Dead at Virginia Tech

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Pack93z, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Unreal...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18134671/?GT1=9246

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history. The gunman also was killed.

“Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions,” said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. “The university is shocked and indeed horrified.”

The university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and continuing about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

Some but not all the dead were students. One student was killed in a dorm and the others were killed in the classroom, said Virginia Tech Police Chief W.R. Flinchum.

The name of the gunman was not released. It was not known if he was a student.

NBC's Pete Williams said two law enforcement officials told him the gunman killed himself. They also said the gunman used two 9-mm handguns during the rampage, Williams reported. He said the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms was trying to track the weapons.

Up until Monday, the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history took place in 1966 at the University of Texas, where Charles Whitman climbed to the 28th-floor observation deck of a clock tower and opened fire. He killed 16 people before he was gunned down by police. In the Columbine High bloodbath near Littleton, Colo., in 1999, two teenagers killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.

After Monday’s shootings at Virginia Tech, all entrances to the campus were closed.

The university set up a meeting place for families to reunite with their children at the Inn at Virginia Tech. It also made counselors available and planned a convocation for Tuesday at the Cassell Coliseum basketball arena.

After the shootings, students were told to stay inside away from the windows.

“There’s just a lot of commotion. It’s hard to tell exactly what’s going on,” said Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode’s resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

“They had us under lockdown,” Kanode said. “They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again.”

“We’re all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what’s going on,” Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, “We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible.”

Police said there had been bomb threats on campus over the past two weeks but they had not determined a link to the shootings.

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff’s deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.

2. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    i read that on yahoo. sick. it's really really sick

3. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    terrible news I feel awful the number was rising to 32 dead and 21 injured.

4. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Has Marcus Vick been arrested?

5. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think it is exactly the best time to be cracking jokes about it.

6. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Sad man

i grew up 10 minutes from campus and have been a Hokie fan my whole life. Seeing this stuff on tv. is just flat out unreal man...

7. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Son of Packers coach safe after shooting

Deron Washington, the son of Packers assistant coach Lionel Washington, was accounted for shortly after news broke of the shootings at Virginia Tech. Washington is a junior at the school and plays on the basketball team, which made the NCAA Tournament this past season.

A mid-day report on ESPN.com said that Hokies basketball coach Seth Greenberg had been in touch with all of his players except Washington. However, a Packers spokesperson said that Washington had contacted his father and was not in harm’s way.

The younger Washington attended Green Bay Notre Dame for one year before finishing his high school years in Fort Washington, Md.

8. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    What makes you think I was joking? The shooter had not been identified or did I know he was dead.

Vick is pissed at VA Tech for kicking him off the team. He already has been arrested for pulling a gun on three young students, and he is a very trouble young man.

It is the first thing that poped in my head when I heard it on the radio.

9. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    This is just a sick world I tell you.

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    The shooter was from South Korea i heard.
    Why can't we get these scumbags to just shoot themselves instead of a bunch of innocent people?
    It's not safe ANYWHERE today.
    2 weeks ago my wife's coworker/friend was gunned down in his backyard. Thats the 3rd coworker she lost to murder in the last 5 years.
    It's a sick world we live in today, and it's just gonna get worse.

11. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Link to one of the stories by the killer...

^ Read one of the stories written by the killer AT YOUR OWN RISK.

They are seriously disturbing, with inaccurate character portrayal, violence as a theme on every page, and just normally disgusting topics (like child molestation).

This guy seems to have had a ton of stored up anger, and someone who was really disturbed.

If this is the type of stuff that was brought to the attention of some of the higher ups running VT, they should have done something. That stuff isn't normal...

12. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    it's easy to criticize now. it's not normal, but looking back we all see things differently, more clearly. it's awful that this had to transpire and it's sickening to think that a person could be so damaged that they would commit such an act. i know that none of us are innocent, but my best wishes are sent out to all the victims of this massacre, even the victim that killed all those people.

13. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you bozz, but this guy was supposed to be a senior due to graduate in a couple of weeks... How on earth do you get to Year 4 when you write like that?

I'm in first year and if I wrote something like that, I'd be outright failed. If anything, I'd have expected him to failed a few classes because his writing style appears terrible.

Of course, that play could be from his first year, so he may have improved... but how much could he have improved if he kept (from what reports say) writing grotesque plays.

14. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I just wonder what is going through a killers mind before he pulls the trigger, something has had to snap in his head. I didnt catch all the news on this yet, but they did read a letter for a class that the killer wrote and it was very disturbing, a teacher even said he wasnt thinking right but they bypassed it. If they would have only listened to her and followed up..

I guess you never know what can happen, here today and gone tomorrow. That is why we live each day to the fullest.

My prayers go out to all the families and friends involved. I agree with Cheesy, it will only get worse. I feel for our kids children and their children and so on.

What bothers me is why do we as tax payers have to pay for keeping criminals alive in prisons?? When these people arent worth anything anyways.

15. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    you don't have to worry about keeping this guy alive. That's one thing that makes me ill. If you feel like you need to take your own life, that's your decision, but it has so often been the case that the person goes on a rampage with the goal of taking as many people down as possible before they turn the gun on themselves. that, in my opinion, is the ultimate act of cowardice and denial of the gift of human life. Thank God I'm not God, because I wouldn't be able to forgive that kind of act. I sit here and pray for those families, especially the family of the perpetrator. he ruined any chance for peace that his family ever had. They will be forever stigmatized by his actions. How could a person do that to his family, to all those families?

16. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Hindsight right now is 20/20, and the steps this young man took over the past couple of weeks are telling. But how do you know that someone is going to snap or because they write disturbing plays; they are prone to do so. Where do we start and stop. Look at some of the movies such as the Boxoffice hits as the Saw trilogy. I seen a part of one and couldn't watch anymore. Disturbing is a mild word for the movie. Is the author of those deranged and going to snap?

And we know what is comming next, more gun control. We have a right in this country to bare arms. Without eliminating it, where do you go from here. If, such as this young man, having a clean record, how do you deny him the given right. Waiting periods, do they work, maybe. But this kids purchased the gun weeks ago. He had some cooling off time and still committed the unthinkable. Personally, I would fight any strong gun control as a sportsman.

Imigration? Wasn't that a basic principle of this country, give me your weak and those that have no place to go?

How far do you go in locking down the security at these public institutions? Do we become prisoners of our own freedoms?

As people above said, it is becoming a scary world and one that I think we become worse instead of better. Between movies, books and the internet, the unthinkable is within common troubled peoples hands. How do you stop a common person with freedom, unless you infringe upon the basic principles of this country?

The only way I know, is for the public as a whole to be concerned with their fellow man, show them compassion and do what you can daily. Is there any other answer?

17. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    no i don't think there is any other answer. It is the main tenet of most religions to love your neighbor, respect the earth, and cherish the shared humanity of all people, but this is an unrealizable aspiration. however, it is up to us all to keep working for this goal, lest we all be lost.

18. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Wholeheartedly agree, what I see in society today is more and more people distancing themselves from religion. Is there a link between todays society and that distance. I believe so.

We in all societies have always had people that are disturbed, but with todays world and all the ideas and what not at peoples hands; it is very scary to think what some are thinking. The freedoms of this country are amazing, but with those freedoms there are curses. Information and ideas float in the world for anyone to grab with a computer or TV. Then we cover everthing with such detail, which keeps everyone informed, but it also gives these people what I think they have always wanted, ATTENTION.

19. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    i also think attention is what it's all about. They know they will finally be noticed, and they won't be around when they are inevitably forgotten again.

20. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone who has posted so far has given some very legitimate opinions and thoughts for discussion. I believe that our world today is so tuned in to the media and we are so far advanced in technology, i.e. getting the word out fast, that we become hardened to incidents like this. Kids today see so much violence on TV and in the movies they have no sense of right from wrong. I'm not saying all kids, but when a kid comes to school and says he "killed so many people" on his video game and loved it, it becomes disturbing. It is shocking and sad, and my heart goes out to everyone at VT who has been affected by this senseless tragedy.

I am sitting right now at my school and wondering, are we next? We have restraining orders on two of our students parents, both considered dangerous, and what is to stop them from coming to the school looking for their child and going beserk. And this is a school that family income is far above the national average. We just never know when someone's mind does a 180 and that's it.

I had a relative shot to death in her classroom in Texas several years ago, so when something like this happens, it hits very close to home. We can only ask why, and in cases like this, we will never really know.

To anyone out there who in anyway is connected to Virginia Tech or has lost family members to violence, my heart and prayers go out to you.

21. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    MTBob - I am sorry to hear of your loss a few ago to this type of violence.

22. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I read it, and although it's disgusting, it's not much more then you can see on TV or at the movies today. Someone has to write those disgusting stories too, and that doesn't mean they all are gonna go kill a bunch of people.
    But it doesn't surprise me with the amount of violence we are seeing at schools and just in the general public today. People are becoming numb to it because of the constant bombardment we get on the news, and as our "entertainment". We see people blown up, dismembered, raped, beat up, and so on. How does this affect younger kids? PLus they have such violent computer games, that also numbs them to violence. It's a downward spiral that just gets worse. It takes more to "shock" us today then it did 30 years ago. Now we have to see REAL injuries to shock us (Shows like "Jackass" and the like) and "reality" shows like Fear factor. I think these all are part (not the whole cause, but part) of the numbing od America.

23. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Pack93z said:"And we know what is comming next, more gun control. We have a right in this country to bare arms. Without eliminating it, where do you go from here. If, such as this young man, having a clean record, how do you deny him the given right. Waiting periods, do they work, maybe. But this kids purchased the gun weeks ago. He had some cooling off time and still committed the unthinkable. Personally, I would fight any strong gun control as a sportsman."
    The fact is as the old saying goes, "When they outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns".
    Stronger gun control laws only affect law abiding citizens. The bad guys already disobey the laws, thats why they are bad guys. They will still have the black market, and WILL get their guns. I know plenty will disagree with this, but had their been someone there that has legally had the right to carry a concealed gun, they might have been able to take this guy down before he murdered and injured all these people. But he ran up against no resistance, and just lined them up for execution.
    It seems that each time the crimes are more horrific.

24. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Truly a sad sad day :(

I just hope they don't try to figure a way to blame this on rap music or Eminem or whoever. This is probably wrong, but I always feel the first person to look at for blame is the culprits parents.

--- by "they" im talking about those people who have nothing better to do with their time then to find theres to blame for parenting and educational shortcomings in this country.

25. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    This was one disturbed kid... sent a package to NBC between the killings.. just unreal.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3054585&page=1

April 18, 2007 — NBC has received a package they believe was sent to the network by Seung-Hui Cho, the Virginia Tech senior who killed 32 people and then himself in a shooting rampage on the university's campus on Monday.

The package includes photographs of Cho holding firearms, law enforcement sources said, but no footage of victims or the first shooting.

The package also contained a DVD with video and a letter running several pages long. Sources describe the letter as angry and rambling—-expressing hatred for rich people and elitists. It is described as very similar to the letter discovered in the Cho's dorm room. According to NBC news it states "this did not have to happen."

The package was mailed at 9:01 a.m. Monday morning at a Blacksburg, Va post office, sources said. Cho allegedly put the package in the hands of a female clerk before leaving. The clerk told us a little while ago she remember seeing Cho and recalls having to look up the zipcode for New York City's Rockefeller Plaza.

It appears that the suspect took the time to mail a package in between his shooting spree—-showing a degree of cold blooded planning.

He mailed the package right after allegedly having shot people to death at 7:15 a.m.. He then appears to have calmly went on his way back to campus and eye witnesses say he began murdering 29 more people—about 39 minutes later.

The package was mailed to NBC heaquarters at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York City. It was received today.

The broadcaster says it immediately contacted the FBI New York field office. The FBI is now forwarding the evidence to the Virginia State Police.

MSNBC, the Web site for MSNBC, published one of the photos in the package this afternoon.