2023 Round 5 pick #159 Dontayvion Wicks

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good athlete - not fast but quick, Explosive. Very highly productive at Virginia. Is a huge target with a wide wingspan and big strong hands. Needs to work on route running to be successful at the next level

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Wicks: 6'1", 206#, 32.4" arms
Adams: 6'1", 212#, 32.6" arms

Wicks: 4.57, 39" vert, 10'10" broad
Adams: 4.56, 39.5" vert, 10'3" broad

Wicks: 4.20 SS, 6.91 3C
Adams: 4.30 SS, 6.82 3C

Both players in college had ability to high point passes to make big plays and also struggled with drops.

Adams cleaned up the drop issues and became an elite separator at the LOS and throughout his routes.

Maybe Wicks can become a poor man's version. Or maybe he will be another J'Mon Moore.

Wicks didn't click as well in the new UVA offense, and his season was cut short. He went 57/1203/9 in 2021 in the ACC.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wick's RAS has him listed as a 4.61 40 time from the combine. Perhaps he ran faster at his pro day. I can see him lined up in the slot as the 4th WR in sets with empty backfields. He can come down with contested catches so in a way, he would run TE routes in those sets. I doubt he would line up on the outside very much.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Wick's RAS has him listed as a 4.61 40 time from the combine. Perhaps he ran faster at his pro day. I can see him lined up in the slot as the 4th WR in sets with empty backfields. He can come down with contested catches so in a way, he would run TE routes in those sets. I doubt he would line up on the outside very much.

I pulled the 4.57 from Brugler’s Beast and it is indeed from the Pro Day.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wicks hardly lined up in the slot in college as he was used as an outside receiver on 86.2% of his pass snaps.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wicks hardly lined up in the slot in college as he was used as an outside receiver on 86.2% of his pass snaps.
Then Wicks has some learning to do. With his limited athleticism, he can probably get open underneath vs lb's and safeties but would have a much more difficult time beating NFL #1 and #2 cb's. I see him more of a potntial replacement for Larard than an outside guy. While Lazard would sometimes line up outside, a lot of his biggest catches for first downs came on shorter routes towards the middle of the field.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then Wicks has some learning to do. With his limited athleticism, he can probably get open underneath vs lb's and safeties but would have a much more difficult time beating NFL #1 and #2 cb's. I see him more of a potntial replacement for Larard than an outside guy. While Lazard would sometimes line up outside, a lot of his biggest catches for first downs came on shorter routes towards the middle of the field.

He’s vastly more athletic than Lazard and his short range movement skills are better.

As Dantes has pointed out he has vastly more in common with Adams than Lazard…but also JMon Moore.

Good news is best case Wicks is a WR4 candidate for us and won’t have to rush along as fast as Watson or Doubs did last year or even Reed might have to this year.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though Wicks might have good short area burst, if he's going to be lined up on the outside, he is going against db's that are just as twitchy and faster than he is. I still think he can make hay as WR #4 lined up on the inside running shorter routes where his burst can beat lb's, safeties or cb #3. Nothing wrong with that and its a good niche for a young WR.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wicks actually has a RAS score of 9.17. While he didn't put up an impressive 40-yard dash he's athletic enough to get open as an outside receiver. It remains to be seen if he's good enough at running routes to gain separation and catch the ball when he's targeted though.

Reaction score
Wicks actually has a RAS score of 9.17. While he didn't put up an impressive 40-yard dash he's athletic enough to get open as an outside receiver. It remains to be seen if he's good enough at running routes to gain separation and catch the ball when he's targeted though.
It is interesting that Wicks scored a 9.17 RAS according to several sites. I saw his WR RAS card from Steelerdepot that was in the 6’s along with Addison.

Wicks scored below 9.17 seven of nine categories
Height 6.86
Weight 7.49
Vertical 9.26
Broad 9.60
40time 3.80
20 yard 6.45
10 yard 8.34
Shuttle 7.36
3-Cone 7.31

Does that sound odd that he’s a 9.17? How does a guys RAS score so high when it’s comprised of 75% scores well under 9. Does Broad jump count at 600%

D

Deleted member 6794

It is interesting that Wicks scored a 9.17 RAS according to several sites. I saw his WR RAS card from Steelerdepot that was in the 6’s along with Addison.

Wicks scored below 9.17 seven of nine categories
Height 6.86
Weight 7.49
Vertical 9.26
Broad 9.60
40time 3.80
20 yard 6.45
10 yard 8.34
Shuttle 7.36
3-Cone 7.31

Does that sound odd that he’s a 9.17? How does a guys RAS score so high when it’s comprised of 75% scores well under 9. Does Broad jump count at 600%

You're right about that, it seems odd that his overall RAS score is listed at 9.17 with only his vertical and broad jump being above that number.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to watch some film on Wicks. Really excited about this guy and even a bit surprised that he lasted as long as he did in the draft. His route running is more advanced than I am used to seeing from a 5th round pick. He had a phenomenal 2021 season (ranking fifth in the FBS with 21.1 yards per catch), but in 2022 they had the campus shooting where he lost 3 teammates, he was injured and missed 2 games and the whole team was kind of a mess. Seriously think that he could push Doubs for a starting spot.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to watch some film on Wicks. Really excited about this guy and even a bit surprised that he lasted as long as he did in the draft. His route running is more advanced than I am used to seeing from a 5th round pick. He had a phenomenal 2021 season (ranking fifth in the FBS with 21.1 yards per catch), but in 2022 they had the campus shooting where he lost 3 teammates, he was injured and missed 2 games and the whole team was kind of a mess. Seriously think that he could push Doubs for a starting spot.
The drop in production. And the slower 40 time hurt his stock. He sure looks faster when he plays than his timed 40. Had he replicated his sophomore year last year, he would have probably been 2nd round. As it was, some sites had him going in the 3rd. It's all about the work now that he is willing to put in, he has the physical gifts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
He seems to be almost acrobatic in catching intermediate to long throws. You watch his highlights and you see one tough catch after another. Even on that TD where he had some luck with the ball bouncing off him while on the ground, he’s displaying a high level of awareness in ball tracking skill.
He oddly reminds me a slightly smaller J’mon Moore. I don’t mean that to imply he can’t fix those drops, but that he was similar rated in production coming out of college. I see Wicks as a “poor man’s” Day3 version of boom or bust. He’s either going to develop as a good WR2-3….
or develop himself out of the league.

Sooner or later you’ll find that mid Day3 talent that just clicks. It’s one of those years we could get a 2022 or 2023 7th Rounder to turn into a Donald Driver

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I personally am going to puke if we see a lot of 4 WR sets this year. I'd be thrilled if we didn't see it once the entire year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is literally .05 slower than Davante. Long speed helps separate after twenty yards and allows depth of targets to be greater (MVS)....however guys with massively quick ten yard splits and first steps will still out perform inside or outside over guys that are just burners.

3-Cone is a massive indicator and there Adams has Wicks some as his time was 6.82 while Wicks was 6.91.......conversely Wicks has Adams at 10 yard split 1.55 to 1.64 a near tenth of a second fully better than Adams...twenty yard split Wicks is 2.63 vs Adams at 2.68....Adams holds his speed better than Wicks or did in testing however and beat him overall at 40 yards.

Another massively successful guy that "testing" wise Wicks is on par or better than is Hopkins:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Now neither of these illustrations are to say Wicks is either or will be as good as either...it merely however illustrates just by his testing conclusions about where he can or cannot line up I don't feel can be made.

His film shows separation ability, above average route running and high pointing abilities...how much of that can he do at the next level is the question.

Reaction score
That is literally .05 slower than Davante. Long speed helps separate after twenty yards and allows depth of targets to be greater (MVS)....however guys with massively quick ten yard splits and first steps will still out perform inside or outside over guys that are just burners.

3-Cone is a massive indicator and there Adams has Wicks some as his time was 6.82 while Wicks was 6.91.......conversely Wicks has Adams at 10 yard split 1.55 to 1.64 a near tenth of a second fully better than Adams...twenty yard split Wicks is 2.63 vs Adams at 2.68....Adams holds his speed better than Wicks or did in testing however and beat him overall at 40 yards.

Another massively successful guy that "testing" wise Wicks is on par or better than is Hopkins:

Now neither of these illustrations are to say Wicks is either or will be as good as either...it merely however illustrates just by his testing conclusions about where he can or cannot line up I don't feel can be made.

His film shows separation ability, above average route running and high pointing abilities...how much of that can he do at the next level is the question.
Good stuff
I was just listening to Mike and Wes (Packers.com). They were saying it’s obviously early, but last year the guy with the “fast start” was Doubs. So far this year it’s Wicks. He’s apparently catching everything thrown his way and getting a disproportionate number of targets because of it. I think Wicks is going to be a 5th Round Steal. Starter inside 2 seasons. He’s going against good Pro Corners and LB’s and looking stout, I don’t think pads will change that.

Thanks for the RAS post, I didn’t realize his explosion grades were that good.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally am going to puke if we see a lot of 4 WR sets this year. I'd be thrilled if we didn't see it once the entire year.
With drafting two TEs early and having 1 or 2 more; I can't see a need for it. I'll certainly be thinking of you if they happen to run a couple of those plays in a row though.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 receiver sets aren't so sickening if wr's #3 and #4 are pretty good and the qb can get rid of the ball quickly with accuracy. It can create mismatches against a teams worst secondary players. If wr's #3 and 4 are mediocre, then it can lead to picks or sacks. If Packer TE's take time to develop, the 4 wr set will make its appearance.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good stuff
I was just listening to Mike and Wes (Packers.com). They were saying it’s obviously early, but last year the guy with the “fast start” was Doubs. So far this year it’s Wicks. He’s apparently catching everything thrown his way and getting a disproportionate number of targets because of it. I think Wicks is going to be a 5th Round Steal. Starter inside 2 seasons. He’s going against good Pro Corners and LB’s and looking stout, I don’t think pads will change that.

Thanks for the RAS post, I didn’t realize his explosion grades were that good.
I also read that Jayden Reed is turning a lot of heads and impressing everyone.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think anyone watching college tape on our draftees, and the film our second year guys put together in their snaps last year know without a doubt there is a ton of potential and promise throughout the WR/TE rooms...the issue is how close are they all to tapping into their ceilings? I don't doubt at all personally that a bonafide WR1 exists in our room...complimentary WR2 and WR3 types also....I don't doubt that for a second personally. My only doubt is whether that comes to fruition fully in 2023 or are we still a year or two out.

Musgrave's athleticism is bananas, unlike any TE I think personally GB has had during my lifetime (37 years) - Kraft may be top 4 in the same time frame IMO....doesn't mean either or both will be successful but dear lord there is a TON to be excited for in the next couple years from our TE and WR room.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think anyone watching college tape on our draftees, and the film our second year guys put together in their snaps last year know without a doubt there is a ton of potential and promise throughout the WR/TE rooms...the issue is how close are they all to tapping into their ceilings? I don't doubt at all personally that a bonafide WR1 exists in our room...complimentary WR2 and WR3 types also....I don't doubt that for a second personally. My only doubt is whether that comes to fruition fully in 2023 or are we still a year or two out.

Musgrave's athleticism is bananas, unlike any TE I think personally GB has had during my lifetime (37 years) - Kraft may be top 4 in the same time frame IMO....doesn't mean either or both will be successful but dear lord there is a TON to be excited for in the next couple years from our TE and WR room.
Well said. I expect growth from everyone in the receiving room. I have no clue where any of those guys will be in 2 years, but I would say they all have more potential than the rest of the 2022 "group" that was still on the roster last August. Those being Cobb, Watkins, Amari Rodgers, Malik Taylor, Danny Davis, Winfree, Lazard, Tonyan, Lewis, Dafney. Probably missed a few, but I think you get the picture, since none of those players are on the current roster.

Reaction score

A point someone made that resonated just after the draft (Larry Mcarren?) was in reference to the concept of hitting on multiple players at 1 position. In effect greatly increasing your odds that 1 will stick hard.

One thing that’s going to increase those odds even more is the fact those Rookie WR and TE and DL will get far more snaps than a typical Rookie just based on position need. Something in my gut tells me this draft will be unique in that at least 1 drafted position group minimum is going to hit on multiple players from this draft (an anomaly) Also because of this years order of draft and extra draft equity. If Tucker hits? We might have a 3-4 player Starter Trifecta by next season. I think it’s a high probability 2 of 3 of VanNess, Musgrave, Reed hit. I could see another 1-2 players from Day 3 just out of sheer numbers.

Normally you’d get 1 MVS from a J’mon Moore, EQ grouping. This year it’ll be 2 and possibly across multiple positions. (Think 2017 at RB etc)

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts