2023 Draft Talk

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No, no problem with solid picks from any school. Would just like to see some early picks used on O this year. Then again, if a guy like Lukas Van Ness drops to #15 (or #13), gotta grab him. I never put much stock in the BPA approach, but early in the draft, it's probably the way to go. And you know Poker, all rules have exceptions!:cool:
Maybe Gute will shock the world and use that #15 on Georgia QB Stetson Bennett? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I think Gute would be looking for a new job, before the first round was completed if he did that.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazing. Burfict is only 32 and he has been out of Football since he was suspended 4 games into the 2019 season for a helmet to helmet hit. The suspension was for a full year and he never played again. He did say that he wants to play again and hasn't fully retired, but a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

AJ Hawk said he is incredibly intelligent NFL linebacker...just doesn't have an off switch I think was how he put it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazing. Burfict is only 32 and he has been out of Football since he was suspended 4 games into the 2019 season for a helmet to helmet hit. The suspension was for a full year and he never played again. He did say that he wants to play again and hasn't fully retired, but a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.
Burfict, the guy who cost the Bengals a playoff win with two, back-to-back personal fouls is only 32? That's ok, I wouldn't touch him if he was 22. But damn that seems like a million years ago.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....was trying to remember that name....Burfict, but didn't want to spend time looking for "Bengals Bully Baller". You are correct, nothing like him. Definitely correctable behavior and I doubt the coaches are all that worried about it. I watched Walker quite a bit last year, intentionally and I really think with the right DL in front of him, this guy is going to be great.
Agree that there is no comparison between Walker's two ejections and the play of Burfict. Burfict is nothing more than a thug. Walker has a bright future once he matures some.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk said he is incredibly intelligent NFL linebacker...just doesn't have an off switch I think was how he put it.
Interesting stuff. Yeah bullies can be bright guys, but something happens and all they see is red and it doesn't matter how smart they are.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I thought the guy was going to be really good, but yeah, when you can't shut down aggression/anger, etc., that won't work, unless you are an inmate, playing for the Mean Machine.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Burfict, the guy who cost the Bengals a playoff win with two, back-to-back personal fouls is only 32? That's ok, I wouldn't touch him if he was 22. But damn that seems like a million years ago.
Agreed. I would put his chances of playing in the NFL at less than that of Aaron Rodgers chances of playing for the KC Chiefs in 2023.

Although, if Mahomes slips in the shower tomorrow..... :whistling:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that the Packers would ever draft him, but I am so stinking enamored with Zay Flowers. I know this class is loaded with tiny dudes, but he's the one that's special. My glimmer of hope is that he got up to 182 lbs for the combine, it was clearly "good weight," and then proved he could move really well at that size. He's 5'9", so 182 is fairly dense.

This is getting pretty nerdy, but compare his body density to the other small receivers in the class:

Flowers: 2.64 lbs per inch
Mims: 2.58
Scott: 2.53
Downs: 2.48
Hyatt: 2.44
Addison: 2.44
Dell: 2.43

Another way to look at it is if he was 6'0" tall at this density (Hyatt's height), he would be 190 (14 lbs heavier).

Some successful size comps for Flowers (just as a proof of concept):

Jaylen Waddle: 5'9", 180
Tyler Lockett: 5'10", 182
T.Y. Hilton: 5'9", 183
Diontae Johnson: 5'10", 183
Steve Smith: 5'9", 184
Santana Moss: 5'9", 184
Eddie Royal: 5'9", 184
Emmanuel Sanders: 5'10", 186

Garrett Wilson, 6'0", 183
Devonta Smith, 6'0", 170

Anyways-- the Packers tend to draft big humans. Even when they made exceptions for shorter guys (Alexander, Rodgers), those guys were heavy for their height.

But I love Flowers. He's electric and would give the offense a dynamic that it doesn't have right now.
I with you on Flowers. He's probably my biggest draft crush at receiver this year. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either JSN or Flowers this year, but to your point we generally stay away from small receivers. I really hope that changes this year and there are signs that it might. I've seen reports that our scouts are pounding the table for Hyatt who's pretty lean himself. I mean just look at those receivers you listed, none of them had problems at their size. He compares very favorably to Tyler Lockett too. Short arms, had drop issues at times, but dude is an electric playmaker.

Also like Downs who's even thinner, but the dude is just always open and making plays.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I probably will be happy if his first picks aren't from Georgia or Alabama.
You mean stay away from the schools that have had some of the most dominate teams in recent years and have produced a significant amount of high caliber NFL players. Stay away from the teams that are basically an NFL farm system? LOL Would you prefer we go back to Ted's PAC 12 school of thought and draft players from college teams that are far less likely to hit?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean stay away from the schools that have had some of the most dominate teams in recent years and have produced a significant amount of high caliber NFL players. Stay away from the teams that are basically an NFL farm system? LOL Would you prefer we go back to Ted's PAC 12 school of thought and draft players from college teams that are far less likely to hit?
Geez - Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, hell the entire SEC is one big farm system for the NFL. I guess you could throw OSU in there as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, that's good. I think they also said he had a small problem with some drops but they did not make a big deal of it. He just seems like an ideal size to me.

According to PFF Johnston had eight drops last year. That's a fairly high number compared to a lot of other prospects.

I'm also not all that worried about Stokes. He showed some really good stuff in his rookie year. As long as he comes back fine from his injury, I think he will be a good CB.

In my opinion there's reason for some concern as Stokes struggled last season before suffering a season ending injury.

As for Stokes I am worried only from an injury recovery stance not for any other reason. I've withheld christening him a level CB1 type guy or CB2 type...but he clearly is an NFL rostered CB IMO at minimum.

That's a pretty low bar for a first round pick though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to PFF Johnston had eight drops last year. That's a fairly high number compared to a lot of other prospects.

In my opinion there's reason for some concern as Stokes struggled last season before suffering a season ending injury.

That's a pretty low bar for a first round pick though.
Lol of course it is, never was grading him out just reflecting on him as a player. Too soon to grade him out relative to his pick spot.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I haven't seen much conversation about who the Packers will have kicking in 2023. Seems like Mason might be done in GB.

If that is the case, I hope they use one of their four 7th round picks to lock in the best K available.

I'm kind of leaning towards N.C. State kicker Christopher Dunn or Michagan's Jake Moody.

Now if the Packers want a good Kicker and a guy with some size, Harrison Mevis from Missouri might be the guy. At 5'11" and 245 lbs, they might be able to use him as a FB on short yardage. :coffee:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen much conversation about who the Packers will have kicking in 2023. Seems like Mason might be done in GB.

If that is the case, I hope they use one of their four 7th round picks to lock in the best K available.

I'm kind of leaning towards N.C. State kicker Christopher Dunn or Michagan's Jake Moody.

Now if the Packers want a good Kicker and a guy with some size, Harrison Mevis from Missouri might be the guy. At 5'11" and 245 lbs, they might be able to use him as a FB on short yardage. :coffee:

A kicker who can also play full back is absolutely brilliant! Get this Pokerbrat in the front office already lol

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow...of all teams to take Jalen Carter off their draft board! I guess the Raiders understand what can happen when your first round picks are big duds.

Ruggs i sense may have caused them to really think on their pick more.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ruggs i sense may have caused them to really think on their pick more.
I would be thinking about Ruggs and a few other players that weren't emotionally ready for the NFL and the fame and fortune that comes with it.

I can't imagine how I would have handled leaving college and instead of taking a mid 5 digit salary, paid over the course of a year, I suddenly had millions of dollars in my pocket. I can see where some of these "kids" have issues and actually kind of surprised that there aren't more. Maybe we are only seeing the ones that get caught in that trap?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, since it is about the draft, but NIL money actually might serve to expose some college athletes to what happens when they have a lot of money, before they are even drafted.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lol of course it is, never was grading him out just reflecting on him as a player. Too soon to grade him out relative to his pick spot.

I agree it's too early to fairly evaluate Stokes. I would consider him to be a bust for a first rounder if all he ends up being was an NFL rostered cornerback some years down the road though.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree it's too early to fairly evaluate Stokes. I would consider him to be a bust for a first rounder if all he ends up being was an NFL rostered cornerback some years down the road though.
Well, he has 2 years in the books now and has played a lot of snaps. This could be the year that will tell us which direction he is going.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, since it is about the draft, but NIL money actually might serve to expose some college athletes to what happens when they have a lot of money, before they are even drafted.
Which couldn't hurt. At least they're getting that money in an environment that's still pretty controlled or where they could take classes on how to handle a lot of money. I know. It's a radical idea........

My only other non-draft concern about NIL money is that it will ultimately shorten the pool of competitive schools. Probably more of a threat to NCAA BB than NCAA FB cause FB is already very limited - the SEC and OSU. Overall though I like it. These kids are making plenty of $$$ for their schools. They deserve a cut.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Which couldn't hurt. At least they're getting that money in an environment that's still pretty controlled or where they could take classes on how to handle a lot of money. I know. It's a radical idea........

My only other non-draft concern about NIL money is that it will ultimately shorten the pool of competitive schools. Probably more of a threat to NCAA BB than NCAA FB cause FB is already very limited - the SEC and OSU. Overall though I like it. These kids are making plenty of $$$ for their schools. They deserve a cut.
Probably should take this to this thread ;) Great topic of discussion. (click on the little up arrow after my name below)
Case in point on NIL money....

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, he has 2 years in the books now and has played a lot of snaps. This could be the year that will tell us which direction he is going.
Honestly, I don't like the odds. But I guess we will have to draft like he is the real deal.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't like the odds. But I guess we will have to draft like he is the real deal.
I would be disappointed if the Packers used a high pick on a CB, but that might tell us what they think of Stokes and/or Douglas. While a team can never have enough good corners, I also feel a team should try to focus on immediate needs first in the early rounds. I full expect Gute to draft a CB or 2, but not high.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be disappointed if the Packers used a high pick on a CB, but that might tell us what they think of Stokes and/or Douglas. While a team can never have enough good corners, I also feel a team should try to focus on immediate needs first in the early rounds. I full expect Gute to draft a CB or 2, but not high.
I get that sentiment, but it depends on who it is at corner we take. Honestly, I think we could use a more physical corner like Witherspoon. If he's there and we picked him, I wouldn't be mad, but I would hope we make some moves to shore up some of the other weaknesses.

Members online

Latest posts