2023 Draft Talk

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I love that 1st Pick overall in Day 2 because we get to think about it all night. Someone from Day 1 will be there.
Gosh, I would hope that someone told that Day 1 pick he was drafted already and he can go home. ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I guess that's not the way I was looking at it. I was looking at it more of the strength of the position in this years draft vs. other positions as well as other wide receivers this year that may be ranked higher. Again, not saying I don't like his talent and he could definitely be a draft riser if other GMs/Scouts feel the same way as Cosell. However, I just think with the strength of the tight end group coupled with DL/Edge/Corner/Interior OL it will probably push him down the board a bit.

I see. You could easily be right. I just ask because everyone I can think of with a comparable draft profile went round 2 or higher.

D

Deleted member 6794

He fared pretty well in limited production, right?

Goodson didn't receive a single snap in the regular season last year. In the preseason, he carried the ball 28 times for 107 yards (3.82 yards per carry) and a TD. In addition he had eight receptions on nine targets for 60 yards.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think if forced for a recent third rounder comp - Michael Gallup comes to mind for me.

Yeah and I understand that you’re forcing it but stylistically they’re not similar and Gallup was a 5.89 RAS.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and I understand that you’re forcing it but stylistically they’re not similar and Gallup was a 5.89 RAS.
For sure as you admitted it was a force. I didn't go back and look at WRs but I remembered he was a third and I think I easily see Mingo able to produce as much for an offense eventually as Gallup does.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's actually some guys now actually looking back that are much more similar

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I decided to walk through a mock with a much more crystalized and less outside influenced now as we near April. In this mock the trade for Rodgers to Jets got us the 42nd this year and a swamp of our first rounders, plus a 2024 second but that doesn't come up in this mock...I also had Mims thrown in again though doesn't change anything. Before anyone says it I'm kinda mad this mirrors somewhat the approach and what happened in @Dantés one he shared a few posts ago LOL

1.13 - This pick truthfully I thought about staying and picking JSN, Broderick Jones, Darnell Wright or Dalton Kincaid. However, Pittsburgh offered a reasonable trade I saw immense value in that I had four first round graded guys IMO available and one is most likely there at 17 if I accepted the trade. Trade netted us the 1.17 and 3.80 while we sent 1.13 and 7.256

1.17 - Broderick Jones OT Georgia (9.57 RAS) is there and is my pick over Darnell Wright after watching JSN and Kincaid come off the board 13-16. As for why Broderick over Darnell, it boiled down to tape wise I see the same abilities and strengths which I personally at least see. Each I believe step immediately into a starting role on the right side of our OL, be that tackle or guard even. Broderick has Wright beat however in many measurable category and the mere physical projection is the tie breaker for me - bigger hands and longer arms and while neither give us a measure of this (strength) via bench reps, I am purely judging off of tape Jones seems stronger, albeit perhaps just by the tiniest of margins.

2.42 - Sam LaPorta TE IOWA (9.49 RAS)...Gute dips toes into TE University...er I mean Iowa. Drafting to me one of the most vastly experienced and savvy receiving threats in the draft at TE outside Kincaid. Unlike Kincaid however, LaPorta gets the better blocking measure and grade clearly if you watch both their tapes - a trait which of course our system would covet.

2.45 - Keanu Benton iDL Wisconsin (8.86 RAS)...Everyone always wants a Badger, yet it seems the drum isn't getting beat enough for this man. To me he's my iDL4 this year (Carter/Bresee/Smith) and he is simply too good to pass up at 45. The ONLY player that I personally had to convince myself not to pick here over him was Mingo, but personally I see potentially Hyatt, Scott, Perry, Rice, Tillman, Mims, Tank Dell, Michael Wilson, Trey Palmer, Reed to name a few that most if not all are still there and that's a lot of prospects I see as solid additions to Watson/Doubs and risk missing Mingo to get my clear iDL4 who after which I see a much more significant drop than I do after Mingo.

3.78 - Jonathan Mingo WR Ole Miss (9.97 RAS) ...He was there and honestly I thought long and hard about pairing a next year 3rd or 2nd to get into the top of the 3rd to make certain he is headed to GB but didn't. Mingo is one of the best WRs in this draft, especially from a walk in and immediately fill majority of Lazard shoes and I see a vastly more athletica and purer WR than Lazard even was. IF Mingo were gone here my eyes shift to perhaps a quick second TE drafted in Kraft or perhaps Trey Palmer instead of Mingo is that third round WR headed to GB.

3.80 - Isaiah McGuire EDGE Missouri (9.52 RAS)...someone asks you what type of build and RAS guy does GB desire at Edge, wiki will tell you the name Isaiah McGuire. Back in 2020 he lined up over 300 times over the tackle or in the B Gap so he even offers some experience reducing down inside which is a versatility not all edges offer. A 6'4' 268lb dude with his explosion and short range speed is awesome to see on display, I truly think Preston Smith is the perfect guy for him to mirror his game by and he just so happens to have at least one entire season sharing the practice field and meeting room moments with him - in many measurables they are mirror images of eachother.

4.116 - Chamarri Conner S Virginia Tech (9.13 RAS)...Here is the first pick many will really take issue with but I'll gladly plant my flag on the Conner island if you will. This young man is IMO with our safety room most likely starting for us at some point in the 2023 season if not week 1. Three state champion in high school, highly recruited and chose the Hokies where appeared in more than 60 games and started nearly all but like 10. He served as their slot/nickel role for years and then in 2022 switched to more deep safety (deep snaps 253, box 121 and slot 279 with 11 outside corner) and thrived there too.

5.149 - Evan Hull RB Northwestern (9.32 RAS) - I firmly believe after the 2023 season one of Jones or Dillon will not be a Packer for production or Cap reasons or both...that is just part of the decision to bring Hull in, but the other part is this is a prospect Day 1 ready to contribute IMO and offers full versatility in tasks handed to him; whether that be blocking, rushing or being a receiver as well. He produced in the last two years as the main back 1922 yards on the ground and 810 yards through the air...with a total of 16 TDs in that span too. This past year the game to watch where he was at his most impressive on the ground was against Ohio State...but his Duke game out of the backfield as a passing threat was SPECIAL (213 yards receiving). Strong but shifty RB option that to me is the PERFECT blend and could compliment either Jones or Dillon depending which way GB decides to go with the backfield. I LOVE Tyler Goodson but Hull would instantly IMO be our leading candidate for RB3

5.170 - Josh Whyle TE Cincinnati (8.95) - Josh served me perhaps my biggest piece of humble pie as I projected he was set for a BREAK OUT 2022 college campaign and folks would take notice and he'd be in contention for one of the first 5 TEs taken. That didn't happen, but he is still an incredible RZ target, highly athletic and a capable blocker despite it perhaps being his area of most refinement needed. To me he is a Tyler Davis with a higher ceiling and present floor higher as well.

7.232 - Tyson Bagent QB Shepherd (8.98 RAS) - IF he really does make it this far 100% believer in drafting this raw but oober athletic QB from the small school.

7.235 - Mohamoud Diabate LB Utah (9.08 RAS) - Barnes is gone and at this point in the draft an athletic profiled LB that should contribute on special teams during his rookie contract is definitely something I fully support.

7.242 - Earl Bostick Jr OT Kansas (9.71 RAS)- Experience long term tackle starter at Kansas with the prototypical body type and athletic profile that fits GB (6'5' 309lb with 34.125 arms)....the trenches can never have enough guys and we draft one here that could become something.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just going by an NFL channel fantasy football program where they listed the best WR and TE, but they sounded pretty knowledgeable. Anyway, it sounded like 3 or 4 TEs would actually make more of an impact in the passing game for The Pack than the w/o available. Except the TE from Notre Dame, even though they listed him at #1, would not be outstanding in the pass game. Not really that fast. They also said that Quenton Johnson is iffy because of the conference he comes from which I just don't buy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just going by an NFL channel fantasy football program where they listed the best WR and TE, but they sounded pretty knowledgeable. Anyway, it sounded like 3 or 4 TEs would actually make more of an impact in the passing game for The Pack than the w/o available. Except the TE from Notre Dame, even though they listed him at #1, would not be outstanding in the pass game. Not really that fast. They also said that Quenton Johnson is iffy because of the conference he comes from which I just don't buy.

Few things...I struggle with that source personally often but whatever.

As for the Quenton take that is something @Dantés and I both have pointed out and Dantes really went into historical references clearly showing a strong historical data which indicates the likelihood of him being what some think he is, is VERY small. If you scroll back I believe it was in this thread.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Few things...I struggle with that source personally often but whatever.

As for the Quenton take that is something @Dantés and I both have pointed out and Dantes really went into historical references clearly showing a strong historical data which indicates the likelihood of him being what some think he is, is VERY small. If you scroll back I believe it was in this thread.
Yes, I know that's why I mention it say that I'm not really buying it for that being a good reason. They mentioned that Johnson did not do a lot with the ball after the catch but they also said there was no doubt that he was going to help some ballclub win games.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So what are peoples thoughts on Jalen Carter? Once considered a top 5 pick, now there is speculation that he could tumble quite far. If he tumbles to #15, do the Packers draft him? I doubt he was even on the Packers radar a month ago, but should he be? Not really a huge need, but imagine a DL with Carter, Clark and Wyatt.

Lions HC Dan Campbell claims he learned something interesting about Carter, from one of his teammates, but he is staying quiet on it. Smoke screen?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what are peoples thoughts on Jalen Carter? Once considered a top 5 pick, now there is speculation that he could tumble quite far. If he tumbles to #15, do the Packers draft him? I doubt he was even on the Packers radar a month ago, but should he be? Not really a huge need, but imagine a DL with Carter, Clark and Wyatt.

Lions HC Dan Campbell claims he learned something interesting about Carter, from one of his teammates, but he is staying quiet on it. Smoke screen?

Honestly I completely understand if Gute would feel worth the risk, or if he is a no fly zone prospect regardless.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Evidently, he is so good that I imagine he'll go in the top 10 even with his out of shape combine.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Evidently, he is so good that I imagine he'll go in the top 10 even with his out of shape combine.
It wasn't just his out of shape combine, it was his involvement in the car racing death and now this "Dan Campbell comment." Campbell is an idiot for saying what he said, since it could be good or bad news. Whatever it was, it leaves Carters teammate in the cold and throws more shade on Carter.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't just his out of shape combine, it was his involvement in the car racing death and now this "Dan Campbell comment." Campbell is an idiot for saying what he said, since it could be good or bad news. Whatever it was, it leaves Carters teammate in the cold and throws more shade on Carter.

I would bet Wyatt and Walker could be tremendous sources of information for Gute and staff in deciphering the man (not the player) Carter is.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly I completely understand if Gute would feel worth the risk, or if he is a no fly zone prospect regardless.
If he tumbles to 15, I don't expect Gute to pick him. I doubt a guy with his obvious talent gets passed on 14 times, if the red flag wasn't pretty big/numerous. Kind of reminds me Larry Tunsil or Joe Mixon, both of whom have actually done very well in the NFL.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would bet Wyatt and Walker could be tremendous sources of information for Gute and staff in deciphering the man (not the player) Carter is.
Excellent point. I would also think they would want to talk to his coach, as well as Carter himself. I just need to remove the thought of Wyatt, Clark and Carter fronting the defense. :)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, they did not send him to jail. I don't know anything more about the guy than what you just stated in your comment. But Campbell did not say anything...did he? I'd say non-comment about a bunch of nothing. Yes, yes. We want the best locker room guy. Jeez. Talk about stating the obvious. But where is he going to draw the line between good teammate and good football player exactly? Somewhere in the 7th round?:rolleyes: I'm not an apologist for Carter. But he managed to stay on his college football team.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But he managed to stay on his college football team.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: That isn't saying much for many of the college Football programs.

Yes, yes. We want the best locker room guy. Jeez. Talk about stating the obvious.
I never stated anything about "locker room guy", so no clue where you came up with that.

I don't know anything more about the guy than what you just stated in your comment.

Sounds like you really didn't know and continue not to know much about him, yet are willing to give an opinion?

The point of my post, there are red flags popping up on a guy, that was once considered top 5 talent. I was curious on others thoughts and how people view Carter.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's actually some guys now actually looking back that are much more similar

That Chris Godwin comp is pretty interesting. I think Godwin has a little more speed is definitely lighter, but I can see similarities.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Chris Godwin comp is pretty interesting. I think Godwin has a little more speed is definitely lighter, but I can see similarities.

I don't see more speed unless you're talking long speed, Mingo is more explosive and their nearly identical through that 20/30 yard stretch window which is going to hold a TON of the routes they run. Mingo's short range is where he is quicker and more explosive. Not saying he's going to be a better WR than Godwin as there is far more at work than just quickness and explosiveness to getting open.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts