2023 Draft Talk

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the first time you replied to my comment you wrote “That’s the way I generally see it too” and the second time you replied to the same comment you wrote “Good grief. Please explain to me how you came up with this assessment”.

So maybe you can explain it to yourself.
My bad. I failed to highlight the part of your soliloquy that I was referring to....

This..... "IMO, finding impact players in a draft starts to drop off between picks 10 and 15. The rest, in the first round through first half of second round, are solid players, just a few steps behind the earliest picks." .....
this is what I was referring to.

Better?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't that long ago that there was talk of the Packers maybe drafting former Packer Herb Adderley's third cousin, Nasir. Instead, they took Savage in the first that draft.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
When was Nasir Adderley drafted? Thx.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
When was Nasir Adderley drafted? Thx.
Nasir Allan Adderley is a former American football safety who played for four seasons in the National Football League for the Los Angeles Chargers. He played college football at Delaware and was drafted by the Chargers in the second round of the 2019 NFL Draft. Wikipedia

Caya

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO that is where your mistake is. Their is absolutely no room for fun around here. IMO.
I still think that trading down and getting more pics will be key for this draft. We have quite a few holes to fill.

Reaction score
True. It’s just fun to see how much of a haul that you can get. My best so far??? 41 picks with an overall A+ grade. Just… stupid, unrealistic numbers. Still… fun to do.
Imagine if we got #13 overall even by it’s lonesome. If we are crafty that could easily gets us a mid 2nd this season and an near entire draft board of 2024-2025 selections across 2 future seasons. Although it would take multiple team trade backs but you’d be surprised at how many selections can be derived if we

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think that trading down and getting more pics will be key for this draft. We have quite a few holes to fill.
If we have two 1st rounders; I'd like to trade down on 1. But if only the 15th; I'm not so sure.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Imagine if we got #13 overall even by it’s lonesome. If we are crafty that could easily gets us a mid 2nd this season and an near entire draft board of 2024-2025 selections across 2 future seasons. Although it would take multiple team trade backs but you’d be surprised at how many selections can be derived if we
I'm still holding out hope for the #13, Elijah Moore and a 2025 conditional 2nd round if he plays in 2024 and first round if they make the playoffs in either 2023 or 2024.

As @tynimiller has pointed out, there are potentially a few other players that could workout in a trade too. Maybe do a "we will give you (Packers) a pick of these 4 players, if you throw in a 6th with Rodgers."

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still holding out hope for the #13, Elijah Moore and a 2025 conditional 2nd round if he plays in 2024 and first round if they make the playoffs in either 2023 or 2024.

As @tynimiller has pointed out, there are potentially a few other players that could workout in a trade too. Maybe do a "we will give you (Packers) a pick of these 4 players, if you throw in a 6th with Rodgers."

I'd love this....I'll give them a 6th this year, next and 2025 if they give us Davis, Mims and Lawson...of course two of those would get contracts reworked.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If we have two 1st rounders; I'd like to trade down on 1. But if only the 15th; I'm not so sure.
I think you get more for the 13th, but it is not a decision Gute would have to make, until he is on the clock. Might be a QB still on the board that the #14 team (currently Patriots, but that can change) is known to want. So perhaps a team picking later really wants the QB or someone else, they might overpay for that #13 to move up. I don't know if a trade can be made with "but you can't select either of these 2 players." If they can throw that caveat in, no matter who is sitting at #14, the Packers would be able to get 1 of their 2 guys.

The same scenario could happen for the 15th pick, but Gute will have much more info. when the draft is going.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd love this....I'll give them a 6th this year, next and 2025 if they give us Davis, Mims and Lawson...of course two of those would get contracts reworked.

How about instead of the 6th round picks, we give them our 3rd this year, in exchange for those players + their 6th? Gute can't do shit with a 3rd round pick anyway. :roflmao:

I think creativity and a lot of back and forths have to happen to make that trade finally work for both teams. Woody doesn't want to look like a fool and give up 2 first round picks for a guy nobody else seems to want. So maybe just the #13 and a bunch of higher picks and players get swapped.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about instead of the 6th round picks, we give them our 3rd this year, in exchange for those players + their 6th? Gute can't do shit with a 3rd round pick anyway. :roflmao:

I think creativity and a lot of back and forths have to happen to make that trade finally work for both teams. Woody doesn't want to look like a fool and give up 2 first round picks for a guy nobody else seems to want. So maybe just the #13 and a bunch of higher picks and players get swapped.

I mean he has to break that 3rd round curse at some point. :)

He personally has struggled with offense in the third, I say he goes defense if we pick in the third.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

He personally has struggled with offense in the third, I say he goes defense if we pick in the third.
Let's hope it isn't another TE in the 3rd! Only because I hope he gets one of the top 4 or 5 ones in the 2nd.

Reaction score

I agree. Sometimes just roll with the punches as a GM. Recognizing our own weaknesses is as important as strengths.

I’m also shaky about Safety in the draft. We either are poor at recognizing that talent or we are poor at Safety development and Safety scheme deployment as a whole.

I’m super impressed with our decision to bring on Safety Tarvarius Moore.
In 2018, He was a projected 2nd-3rd Rounder and he’ll be one of the fastest players on our team. He’s a 9.24 RAS guy.
6.1 1/2” 200lb. 33” arms and 4.32 speed (pre injury).

This yanks Safety down our DRAFT needs list imo. He’s the antithesis of Savage and he attacks the ball.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Sometimes just roll with the punches as a GM. Recognizing our own weaknesses is as important as strengths.

I’m also shaky about Safety in the draft. We either are poor at recognizing that talent or we are poor at Safety development and Safety scheme deployment as a whole.

I’m super impressed with our decision to bring on Safety Tarvarius Moore, as king as he’s under that <$4m area. In 2018, He was a projected 2nd-3rd Rounder and he’ll be one of the fastest players on our team. Surprisingly he wasn’t invited to the combine, but he’s a 8.5+ RAS guy in theory.

I doubt he is his low 4.3 forty type he was before his achilles injury but he is a highly gifted athlete.

This isn't a particularly strong or obvious Safety class IMO and Branch tested as an absolutely absymmal athlete which I was worried about when watching more of his film prior to the combine. Conner from Virginia Tech or Jay Ward on Day 3 almost seem like a known more commodity at safety...or Brandon Joseph from Notre Dame is a VERY smart and capable safety that is going to be there late day 2 or early day 3.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know a lot of fans are down on Savage and even Amos last season, but much like the up and down play of Douglas, Stokes and even Alexander, I want to say it was as much the coaches fault as players. The bad news, MLF doesn't agree with me and kept Barry.

All we can hope is that Barry and the DB coaches can tighten things up and if the front 7 are playing better, that helps the secondary too.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would be ecstatic with the trade you outline. I have a bad feeling that the Jets aren't willing to give up their #13 pick.

So it becomes a game of who blinks first. I guess it's advantage Packers because they have decided to move forward with Love, while the Jets passed on Carr and Garropolo to wait for Rodgers. Mike White is gone and all they have is the pathetic Zach Wilson.

But what if the Jets don't give in? I don't see any way Rodgers stays in GB. It's hard to read. I'd be ok with the trade you mention without Elijah Moore. That's as far as I'd go. I don't see Rodgers playing just one year in NYC.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Absolutely no way they throw in a 2023 6th round pick at the current time. IMO.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's a Round 1 mock that didn't need its own thread:

1. CAR: C. Stroud, QB, OSU
2. HOU: B. Young, QB, UA
3. ATL: A. Richardson, QB, FLA
4. IND: W. Levis, QB, UK
5. SEA: W. Anderson, ED, UA
6. DET: T. Wilson, ED, TTU
7. LV: D. Witherspoon, CB, ILL
8. ARI: C. Gonzalez, CB, OR
9. CHI: P. Johnson, OT, OSU
10. PHI: J. Carter, iDL, UGA
11. TEN: P. Skoronski, OL, NW
12. HOU: M. Murphy, ED, CLEM
13. GB: J. Smith-Njigba, WR, OSU (acquired in Rodgers' trade)
14. NE: D. Wright, OT, TEN
15. BUF: B. Jones, OT, UGA (via trade-up)
16. WAS: J. Porter Jr, CB, PSU
17. PIT: D. Banks, CB, MAR
18. NO: N. Smith, ED, UGA (via trade-up)
19. TB: A. Harrison, OT, OK
20. SEA: C. Kancey, iDL, PITT
21. LAC: B. Robinson, RB, UT
22. BAL: Q. Johnston, WR, TCU
23. MIN: Z. Flowers, WR, BC
24. JAC: B. Branch, DB, UA
25. NYG: Q. Johnston, WR, TCU
26. DAL: M. Mayer, TE, ND
27. GB: B. Bresee, iDL, CLEM (via trade-down)
28. CIN: D. Kincaid, TE, UT
29. DET: H. ******, QB, TEN (via trade-down)
30. PHI: K. White, DL, GTU
31. KC: M. Smith, iDL, MICH

JSN is my favorite 1st round prospect for GB. The role for him is wide open and would be so defined. I also think his ability as a high volume target who separates consistently is missing in the offense and would be so helpful to Love.

Bryan Bresee isn't my favorite option in this draft, but he is undeniably a Packers "type" when it comes to size and measurable athleticism. As it currently stands, the DL is really thin in Green Bay and they don't have a body like Bresee in that group.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

JSN is my favorite 1st round prospect for GB. The role for him is wide open and would be so defined. I also think his ability as a high volume target who separates consistently is missing in the offense and would be so helpful to Love.

Bryan Bresee isn't my favorite option in this draft, but he is undeniably a Packers "type" when it comes to size and measurable athleticism. As it currently stands, the DL is really thin in Green Bay and they don't have a body like Bresee in that group.
Interesting, thanks. Yeah there's a lot of talk about taking an EDGE player early to account for Gary's absence. I agree the iDL needs to be fortified first. Gary won't be out long, and I expect Walker will be used more as a rusher. We'll see. Now Gluten has to get the Jets to give up the #13 pick.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You know I have my reservations of JSN that early BUT bringing in Bresee then as well I'd be so incredibly happy with this.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what was the rest of the trade? I am very doubtful they get that #13 pick. Maybe in a swap as part of a small package.

Latest posts