2023 Draft Talk

D

Deleted member 6794

That's an interesting stat. Aside from Rodgers, who were the other impact players on that offense?

Jennings (68 receptions - 1,113 yards - 4 TDs), Driver (70-1,061-6) and Finley (55-676-6) were the top three pass catchers with Ryan Grant (282 attempts - 1,253 yards - 11 TDs) being their leading rusher.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings (68 receptions - 1,113 yards - 4 TDs), Driver (70-1,061-6) and Finley (55-676-6) were the top three pass catchers with Ryan Grant (282 attempts - 1,253 yards - 11 TDs) being their leading rusher.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Grant was that prolific as a runner. But damn, two WRs and one TE accounted for almost 2800 yards of pass production. The good ol days.......

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Grant was that prolific as a runner. But damn, two WRs and one TE accounted for almost 2800 yards of pass production. The good ol days.......

Just for those inquiring minds wondering how that compares to most recent years and such.

2021 - Top 2 WRs and top TE - 2,311
2020 - Top 2 WRs and top TE - 2,650

To compare those productions to 2009 consider the rushing yards for the team also:

2009 - 1,885 yards rushing
2021 - 1,900 yards rushing
2020 - 2,118 yards rushing

2009 we won 11 games.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for those inquiring minds wondering how that compares to most recent years and such.

To compare those productions to 2009 consider the rushing yards for the team also:

2009 we won 11 games.
Thanks Ty. As usual you are a stat machine. All pretty impressive numbers. Then again, for the last 30 years, the Packers have won a lot of games.

D

Deleted member 6794

2009 we won 11 games.

While I understand the sample size is way too small to make an educated guess the 2022 team is currently on pace for 1,887 yards from their top two receivers and the top tight end as well as 2,669 rushing yards. In addition you need to consider the league added another regular season game starting last year.

Reaction score
While I understand the sample size is way too small to make an educated guess the 2022 team is currently on pace for 1,887 yards from their top two receivers and the top tight end as well as 2,669 rushing yards. In addition you need to consider the league added another regular season game starting last year.
Good info.

In 2022, we are pacing +345 yards more than the same 2021 groupings
But in 2022, we’re pacing -205 less than 2020.

Interesting

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Tynimiller, Dantes, Old School et al. How is the projected upcoming draft class shaping up? Average class in terms of prospects? What positions seem to be strong or weak? Or is it to early yet to even guess?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tynimiller, Dantes, Old School et al. How is the projected upcoming draft class shaping up? Average class in terms of prospects? What positions seem to be strong or weak? Or is it to early yet to even guess?

Personally too early to christen it either way as a whole. I do really like some prospects though, and will begin hitting my reviews and deeper dives soon

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOOKS like a decent year at QB. OL and DL you can get impact players in Round 7 and UDFA based on what I've seen so far. I expect guys like Ricky Stromberg out of Arkansas and Lacy out of OSU *No relation btw* to climb out of those spots into Round 5 at least though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOOKS like a decent year at QB. OL and DL you can get impact players in Round 7 and UDFA based on what I've seen so far. I expect guys like Ricky Stromberg out of Arkansas and Lacy out of OSU *No relation btw* to climb out of those spots into Round 5 at least though.
Yeah as far as I know it's a great year for QBs. Something like 5 guys expected to go early, don't recall all the names. The OSU guy, Stroud, will be up there. There are others.

Reaction score
I’m behind on the micro aspects of next draft, but I do recall seeing the Edge position as thicker towards the top end. There’s as many as 8 Edge prospects which could go Day 1. That’s an area of focus with our first selection. It fits with it leaning Defense early in 60/40 ratio Day 1

CB is one of the both top end and deeper groups where we could be sniffing a formidable Day 2 guy to bolder our depth.

Keep an eye on WR Josh Downs out if N.C., he’s a guy we might target IF there isn’t another Run. He’s very fast and agile, but undersized for what the Packers typically go after. His size could drop him to us though. He can line up all over also. He’s an immediate answer to our soon to be Dilemma with Cobb and Amari but not sure if he’s be at our #32 selection.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m behind on the micro aspects of next draft, but I do recall seeing the Edge position as thicker towards the top end. There’s as many as 8 Edge prospects which could go Day 1. That’s an area of focus with our first selection. It fits with it leaning Defense early in 60/40 ratio Day 1

CB is one of the both top end and deeper groups where we could be sniffing a formidable Day 2 guy to bolder our depth.

Keep an eye on Josh Downs at WR, he’s a guy we might target IF there isn’t another Run. He’s very fast and agile, but undersized for what the Packers typically go after. His size could drop him to us.
I don't remember the source, but out of the last 20 drafts, the Packers have only taken three offensive players in the first round - Derek Sherrod in 2011, Jordan Love, and someone else I don't remember. The other 17 first round selections were on defense. That doesn't seem right, but I can't name a first round pick since Rodgers started other than Love and Sherrod. Maybe someone can confirm this or offer other info..... Thanks.

Reaction score
I don't remember the source, but out of the last 20 drafts, the Packers have only taken three offensive players in the first round - Derek Sherrod in 2011, Jordan Love, and someone else I don't remember. The other 17 first round selections were on defense. That doesn't seem right, but I can't name a first round pick since Rodgers started other than Love and Sherrod. Maybe someone can confirm this or offer other info..... Thanks.
I think you are correct. I did an analysis on that very point maybe 4 drafts ago or thereabouts. I used a scale using a point value From “calculator soup”? For each Packers draft selection.
The overall draft expenditures in Rodgers tenure were like a 2.2:1 ratio using points (disclaimer: as of 4-5 years ago). At that time it was so lopsided towards D it’s like a Big Pink draft elephant in the Room. :tup:

That doesn’t even count the fact that our latest Day 1 Offensive selection was at Future QB. Take that away for it not being a starter and we are now approaching 3:1 towards Defense.

It’s time for us to grab us a couple Offensive players early early

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga in '10. Javon Walker was a #1 but technically that was 21 years ago. ;) https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/draft.htm

Gute needs to target a stud TE, IMHO... Lewis is almost done & Tonyan will get paid more than GB can/will afford (love him, but he'll be 29 next season). Mayer from Notre Dame or Laporta from Iowa? Mid-rounder Luke Musgrave from Oregon St.?

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are correct. I did an analysis on that very point maybe 4 drafts ago or thereabouts. I used a scale using a point value From “calculator soup”? For each Packers draft selection.
The overall draft expenditures in Rodgers tenure were like a 2.2:1 ratio using points (disclaimer: as of 4-5 years ago). At that time it was so lopsided towards D it’s like a Big Pink draft elephant in the Room. :tup:

That doesn’t even count the fact that our latest Day 1 Offensive selection was at Future QB. Take that away for it not being a starter and we are now approaching 3:1 towards Defense.

It’s time for us to grab us a couple Offensive players early early.
Thanks. Sounds right. I sure wish they would have made a few more first rounders offense. And not necessarily WRs. OL, TE are all positions of need, although the drafting of OL on day 3 has been great. And there were at least two drafts devoted to corners and all failed.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Instead of playoff seating, time to get realistic and look at the Packers draft position for the 2023 draft. With 5 games to go and 1 game out of getting the #2 pick, they have a legit shot at a top 5 position. If they lose out, I think there is a good chance they end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick. Most of the teams that are currently ahead of them, either play each other or have a few winnable games left.

NFL Draft order 2023​

This is how the draft order stands entering the Week 12 "Monday Night Football" matchup between the Steelers and Colts:

PickTeamW-L-T
1Houston Texans1-9-1
2Chicago Bears3-9
3Detroit Lions (from LAR)3-8
4Seattle Seahawks (from DEN)3-8
5Pittsburgh Steelers3-7
6Carolina Panthers4-8
7Philadelphia Eagles (from NO)4-8
8Arizona Cardinals4-8
9Green Bay Packers4-8
10Las Vegas Raiders4-7
11Houston Texans (via CLE)4-7
12Jacksonville Jaguars4-7
13Detroit Lions4-7
14Indianapolis Colts4-6-1
15Atlanta Falcons5-7

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead of playoff seating, time to get realistic and look at the Packers draft position for the 2023 draft. With 5 games to go and 1 game out of getting the #2 pick, they have a legit shot at a top 5 position. If they lose out, I think there is a good chance they end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick. Most of the teams that are currently ahead of them, either play each other or have a few winnable games left.

NFL Draft order 2023​

This is how the draft order stands entering the Week 12 "Monday Night Football" matchup between the Steelers and Colts:

PickTeamW-L-T
1Houston Texans1-9-1
2Chicago Bears3-9
5Pittsburgh Steelers3-7
6Carolina Panthers4-8
8Arizona Cardinals4-8
9Green Bay Packers4-8
10Las Vegas Raiders4-7
13Detroit Lions4-7
15Atlanta Falcons5-7

And...let's take this discussion a step further.

If you end up with one of the top 3 picks, there is a SERIOUS argument to be had for trading back still within the top TEN and walking away Day 1 with the likes of a legit starting Tackle, a legit day 1 starting diverse TE (Michael Mayer), the WR of your choice, the top or one of the top edge rushers, your choice of safety.

If it washed out like above but we end up at say 3 as we lose out which would mean Rams, Bears and Lions would have another win here.

You're looking at the Panthers, Seahawks, Lions, Colts, Texans (if they choose to not go QB first pick) and Falcons all within the top 15 that arguably could be wanting to grab the QB of their futures.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NFL Draft order 2023​

PickTeamW-L-T
1Houston Texans1-9-1
2Chicago Bears3-9
5Pittsburgh Steelers3-7
6Carolina Panthers4-8
8Arizona Cardinals4-8
9Green Bay Packers4-8
10Las Vegas Raiders4-7
13Detroit Lions4-7
15Atlanta Falcons5-7
Thanks for the chart. Yeah there's not much needed to move from top 10 to top 5. And in a QB-rich draft, it might be tempting to take a QB in the top 5. Well, we'll have to wait and see. At least it's something to look forward to.......

And wow, the Seahags likely get a top 5 pick for trading Wilson. That turned out to be a truly lousy deal. Well, Wilson gets paid anyway, so I guess he'll be fine.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you end up with one of the top 3 picks, there is a SERIOUS argument to be had for trading back still within the top TEN and walking away Day 1 with the likes of a legit starting Tackle, a legit day 1 starting diverse TE (Michael Mayer), the WR of your choice, the top or one of the top edge rushers, your choice of safety.

If it washed out like above but we end up at say 3 as we lose out which would mean Rams, Bears and Lions would have another win here.

You're looking at the Panthers, Seahawks, Lions, Colts, Texans (if they choose to not go QB first pick) and Falcons all within the top 15 that arguably could be wanting to grab the QB of their futures.
Tyni,

Would you agree that Stroud is a lesser QB than love? Scenario I'm thinking is if we end up #1 we have to trade out of that right?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tyni,

Would you agree that Stroud is a lesser QB than love? Scenario I'm thinking is if we end up #1 we have to trade out of that right?

For 2023 season yes. For their futures - zero way with any substance to say. If we end up #1 or #2 I believe FIRMLY we HAVE TO TRADE OUT. Honestly anything in the top 3 or 4 I'm strongly thinking that is the soundest plan.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

All good discussions and for me, a lot more realistic then trying to discuss how they get into the playoffs. Imagine how fun the discussion will get, if the Packers get the #2 pick in every round and potentially another first if they trade Rodgers.

Some might think that the window to trading Rodgers for anything substantial has closed, but I would disagree. There are teams that most likely feel like they are a top QB away from being a solid team.

2023 and 2024 will be good years to restock the roster with young guys. Purge the roster of all the cap issues and hopefully look forward to success down the road.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I blame you @Pokerbrat2000

Say we end as we are now and we are 9th I still see a smart slide depending on draft playing out realistically something like this....and Gute could do his trade back and up attack for a similar play out as this: *I preface all this with I'm not even done slotting guys fully, nor reviewing stuff. I may end up really looking foolishly high or low at this point in the process on guys past say Kraft at #70...

Trade with ATL for our #9 and get their #15/#114/2024 1st Rounder *Sim had them go QB ******…

#15 Joey Porter Jr CB Penn State –
I believe this would allow Rasul to play safety more…he is not an outside CB…insurance against Stokes not progressing and ability to maybe have more JA flexibility. At WORST Joey is 2023’s CB3 – some argue CB1 and to be honest I don’t necessarily disagree. His LENGTH is incredible and I can see no better insurance policy for Stokes – which might even end up proving to be our CB2 of the future rather than Eric.

#22 Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern *We trade up with MLF buddy in Jets for their #22/2024 6th rounder and give up GB’s 2024 1st Rounder, Pick #140 and Pick #39

Where Porter Jr was the pick of positional value and ability to move Jaire and Rasul around…Peter is all about protecting our QB of the future and present. If Bakhtiari stays perhaps Peter plays RT, if not there maybe Guard for a year or two, either way Rodgers/Love have a bonafide Day 1 starter coming to an OL that struggled in 2022. Yes we gave up a lot…but Peter is on some trusted boards the LT#1.

#70 Tucker Kraft TE South Dakota State…all my favorite TEs are gone BUT the gamble of what Tucker Kraft could be is special and arguably could be the poor man’s Michael Mayer for sure. VERY sure hands and very capable blocker – with so much unknown at TE (Lewis and Tonyan could be gone) Kraft worst case is about as solid of a rookie TE3 we’ve ever had.

#105 Adetomiwa Adebawore EDGE Northwestern – For a man with such a unique name it is no surprise he is making a name for himself however in the B10. He projects as an exception hybrid defensive frontman having played standup edge, 5T, 4i and a 3T as well. He has the body to play head on with Tackles or the quickness to rush gaps or edges…BUT that edge rush is where his most growth arguably is needed because while he can win with a plethora of power type rushes, he needs a better bend. He has shown some of this in 2022 and many suspect AA could become a power to be reckoned with at standup or down edge in the NFL. While his 11.5 sacks over the last three years is just part of the story, his 23.5 tackles for loss and multiple forced fumbles tell a lot more of his disruptive tendencies.

#114 Jordan Morgan OT Arizona – Jordan is a tackle prospect I really like, arguably more than some. Whether it is his shot put and track background or what – this cat’s hand strength and punch is exceptional. His first two steps are very quick and explosive making quick seal moves in the run game a thing of beauty to watch him pull off. In pass protection his bend and agility is top level and when he doesn’t over extend his arms in an effort to “win” a rep with his power which leaves him open to counters and swims. He just needs refined technique and reps IMO to flirt with being a Top 10 LT in this draft. He has age on his side and wasn’t a starter for Wildcats until 2021…so to show his skills in only two years time there isn’t much not to love for a guy I have in my top 100 and nab him at #114. Watch out because I truly think he is a guy that folks could see fly up the Tackles charts.

#198 Zakhari Franklin WR UTSA – Small school but BIG production an be placed upon this 6’1’ 185lb slender WR from UTSA. This cat in his four years as a roadrunner produced 3,168 yards (over 2,000 of that last two years), 33 TDs (23 last two years), and a 13.0 yards per catch. What I love about Zakhari is his route running, yes it is a high effort and high energy type of runner but that intense fuel is what makes him beat CBs when he does…he won’t get open with speed, but his routes can make CBs look slower at times. I’ll be honest personally I don’t think he sees the 7th round….BUT he’s one of those guys that is cemented as a Day 3/UDFA type that you could see gone in the 5th or not at all. Here we nab him as a developmental guy that at best would battle for a WR5 or WR6 role on the roster.

#202 Payne Durham TE Purdue – Again as I have said I envision 2023 we will not have Lewis and fair chance no Tonyan…the TE shelf needs weapons and Tucker Kraft in the 3rd was part of it, but how about a very sure handed and smart (albeit slower) TE that can block and has produced in the Big 10 constantly? Payne the last two years has put up 467/550 yards, 6/8 TDs, 45/54 receptions. Even his 2019 and 2020 seasons when he wasn’t targeted much he put up 7 TDs and over 200 yards. RZ threat with the willingness to block that could pair excellently in a room with Kraft, Davis, Deguara and him if that is all we have.

#205 Shaka Heyward LB Duke – Shaka has produced four straight solid seasons for the Blue Devils with the last two being his best and in them producing 190 tackles total, 16.5 TFLs, 5 sacks and 3 INTs. He is a weakside linebacker with great length and above average skills everywhere else. While he arguably isn’t elite in any trait or “bucket” needed for the position he isn’t a detriment either at any of them. Led the team in 2022 and 2021 in tackles and TFLs in 2021. For a team being LB thin and Barnes possibly signing elsewhere we need to throw a dart at the LB board.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Say we end as we are now and we are 9th I still see a smart slide depending on draft playing out realistically something like this....and Gute could do his trade back and up attack for a similar play out as this: *I preface all this with I'm not even done slotting guys fully, nor reviewing stuff. I may end up really looking foolishly high or low at this point in the process on guys past say Kraft at #70...

Trade with ATL for our #9 and get their #15/#114/2024 1st Rounder *Sim had them go QB ******…

#15 Joey Porter Jr CB Penn State –
I believe this would allow Rasul to play safety more…he is not an outside CB…insurance against Stokes not progressing and ability to maybe have more JA flexibility. At WORST Joey is 2023’s CB3 – some argue CB1 and to be honest I don’t necessarily disagree. His LENGTH is incredible and I can see no better insurance policy for Stokes – which might even end up proving to be our CB2 of the future rather than Eric.

#22 Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern *We trade up with MLF buddy in Jets for their #22/2024 6th rounder and give up GB’s 2024 1st Rounder, Pick #140 and Pick #39

Where Porter Jr was the pick of positional value and ability to move Jaire and Rasul around…Peter is all about protecting our QB of the future and present. If Bakhtiari stays perhaps Peter plays RT, if not there maybe Guard for a year or two, either way Rodgers/Love have a bonafide Day 1 starter coming to an OL that struggled in 2022. Yes we gave up a lot…but Peter is on some trusted boards the LT#1.

#70 Tucker Kraft TE South Dakota State…all my favorite TEs are gone BUT the gamble of what Tucker Kraft could be is special and arguably could be the poor man’s Michael Mayer for sure. VERY sure hands and very capable blocker – with so much unknown at TE (Lewis and Tonyan could be gone) Kraft worst case is about as solid of a rookie TE3 we’ve ever had.

#105 Adetomiwa Adebawore EDGE Northwestern – For a man with such a unique name it is no surprise he is making a name for himself however in the B10. He projects as an exception hybrid defensive frontman having played standup edge, 5T, 4i and a 3T as well. He has the body to play head on with Tackles or the quickness to rush gaps or edges…BUT that edge rush is where his most growth arguably is needed because while he can win with a plethora of power type rushes, he needs a better bend. He has shown some of this in 2022 and many suspect AA could become a power to be reckoned with at standup or down edge in the NFL. While his 11.5 sacks over the last three years is just part of the story, his 23.5 tackles for loss and multiple forced fumbles tell a lot more of his disruptive tendencies.

#114 Jordan Morgan OT Arizona – Jordan is a tackle prospect I really like, arguably more than some. Whether it is his shot put and track background or what – this cat’s hand strength and punch is exceptional. His first two steps are very quick and explosive making quick seal moves in the run game a thing of beauty to watch him pull off. In pass protection his bend and agility is top level and when he doesn’t over extend his arms in an effort to “win” a rep with his power which leaves him open to counters and swims. He just needs refined technique and reps IMO to flirt with being a Top 10 LT in this draft. He has age on his side and wasn’t a starter for Wildcats until 2021…so to show his skills in only two years time there isn’t much not to love for a guy I have in my top 100 and nab him at #114. Watch out because I truly think he is a guy that folks could see fly up the Tackles charts.

#198 Zakhari Franklin WR UTSA – Small school but BIG production an be placed upon this 6’1’ 185lb slender WR from UTSA. This cat in his four years as a roadrunner produced 3,168 yards (over 2,000 of that last two years), 33 TDs (23 last two years), and a 13.0 yards per catch. What I love about Zakhari is his route running, yes it is a high effort and high energy type of runner but that intense fuel is what makes him beat CBs when he does…he won’t get open with speed, but his routes can make CBs look slower at times. I’ll be honest personally I don’t think he sees the 7th round….BUT he’s one of those guys that is cemented as a Day 3/UDFA type that you could see gone in the 5th or not at all. Here we nab him as a developmental guy that at best would battle for a WR5 or WR6 role on the roster.

#202 Payne Durham TE Purdue – Again as I have said I envision 2023 we will not have Lewis and fair chance no Tonyan…the TE shelf needs weapons and Tucker Kraft in the 3rd was part of it, but how about a very sure handed and smart (albeit slower) TE that can block and has produced in the Big 10 constantly? Payne the last two years has put up 467/550 yards, 6/8 TDs, 45/54 receptions. Even his 2019 and 2020 seasons when he wasn’t targeted much he put up 7 TDs and over 200 yards. RZ threat with the willingness to block that could pair excellently in a room with Kraft, Davis, Deguara and him if that is all we have.

#205 Shaka Heyward LB Duke – Shaka has produced four straight solid seasons for the Blue Devils with the last two being his best and in them producing 190 tackles total, 16.5 TFLs, 5 sacks and 3 INTs. He is a weakside linebacker with great length and above average skills everywhere else. While he arguably isn’t elite in any trait or “bucket” needed for the position he isn’t a detriment either at any of them. Led the team in 2022 and 2021 in tackles and TFLs in 2021. For a team being LB thin and Barnes possibly signing elsewhere we need to throw a dart at the LB board.
Good stuff, thanks. If they decide not to go QB round 1, draft Mayer out of ND. He looks like a legit pro TE.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Come on, we all know that all one has to do is whisper "draft" into your ear and you become a kid named Ralphie mouthing “official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.”

I think there will be a ton of interest in the 2023 draft in this forum, if the Packers end up with a top 5 pick.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts