2023 Draft Talk

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I know and I get it, I’m merely saying I’d have understood the logic behind it is all.
Agree. The Front Office has rightly decided to go all in while they have Rodgers. That means a window of one year to a max of three years to win a SB. And whether it's one, two, or three years depends on if Rodgers stays.

Even so Gluten has to keep an eye on the future. Fortunately going all in and watching out for the future of the team aren't mutually exclusive. I'm sure Rodgers would love a TE like Mayer to throw to. For now, the first order of business is getting the WR group ready to go in September. Helping the TE group along the way won't hurt given Tonyan's unknown status.

Reaction score
We do? Who? The starters are Campbell, a FA, and Walker, a first round pick. Which starting ILBs were picked on day 3. Barnes? He's just a guy. I have a terrible memory!
No Barnes was a PUDFA. A darn good one and another example that ILB can be addressed later in the draft. Not saying we shouldn’t address it sooner though, I love the Quay Walker pick.

Jake Ryan, Brad Jones, BJ Goodson, Blake Martinez were all Packers who started at some point and were serviceable Day 3 selections.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No Barnes was a PUDFA. A darn good one and another example that ILB can be addressed later in the draft. Not saying we shouldn’t address it sooner though, I love the Quay Walker pick.

Jake Ryan, Brad Jones, BJ Goodson, Blake Martinez were all Packers who started at some point and were serviceable Day 3 selections.
Oren Burks was a 3rd rounder, so day two. Otherwise, I want to say, its been since 2006, when AJ Hawk was a day 1 pick at ILB. In that same draft that they drafted Hawk in the first, they also picked Abdul Hodge in the 3rd round.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oren Burks was a 3rd rounder, so day two. Otherwise, I want to say, its been since 2006, when AJ Hawk was a day 1 pick at ILB. In that same draft that they drafted Hawk in the first, they also picked Abdul Hodge in the 3rd round.
Abdul Hodge and Oren Burks. Two ILD draftees who will go down in Packer infamy!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge had horrible knees and never made it into the final 53, I believe. Should never have been drafted.
I don't even recognize the name. But the Packers drafted a lot pf forgettable guys from the 70s to the late 80s.

Reaction score
I don't even recognize the name. But the Packers drafted a lot pf forgettable guys from the 70s to the late 80s.
What’s crazy is Those guys are all relatively recent draft selections, inside Rodgers time on the Active Roster.
It’s not like we’re having to reach to Bart Starr or Lynn Dickey days to see how bad we drafted at ILB early in. Some of those Draft darts missed the dart board altogether, then sailed through the bar area and hit customers! (hell, ive still got scars)

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge made it to GB's 53 his rookie year, I was wrong. Was a 3rd rounder in 2006 after being a 3X All Big Ten LB at Iowa. Bounced around for a few years with other teams, now a coach.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge made it to GB's 53 his rookie year, I was wrong. Was a 3rd rounder in 2006 after being a 3X All Big Ten LB at Iowa. Bounced around for a few years with other teams, now a coach.
Interesting but I don't remember the guy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What’s crazy is Those guys are all relatively recent draft selections, inside Rodgers time on the Active Roster.
It’s not like we’re having to reach to Bart Starr or Lynn Dickey days to see how bad we drafted at ILB early in. Some of those Draft darts missed the dart board altogether, then sailed through the bar area and hit customers! (hell, ive still got scars)
We all have scars!

D

Deleted member 6794

True, Hodge even played in eight games for the Packers during his rookie campaign. He missed the 2007 season because of a knee injury and was released at final cutdowns a year later.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting but I don't remember the guy.
I only remember that I was hoping Hodge would be really good. I remember us drafting D'Onofrio. A linebacker from Penn State. Watched him in pre season and he was going to be good. 2nd round. Then he had a hamstring problem and never saw the field again. Went on to coach college somewhere.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only remember that I was hoping Hodge would be really good. I remember us drafting D'Onofrio. A linebacker from Penn State. Watched him in pre season and he was going to be good. 2nd round. Then he had a hamstring problem and never saw the field again. Went on to coach college somewhere.
It doesn't happen often, but I think these injuries are an excuse by the player to get out of the NFL. It is hard work to make a 53 man roster and harder work to stay on the roster. A lot of guys want your job and the money is great. The coaches don't sugar coat anything. And in previous years as college players they probably had a lot more recreation during the summer versus the NFL.

There's nothing wrong with that. The NFL looks pretty glamorous during a game. But the endless grind of weight room, practices, injuries, and travel can take a toll. Concussion awareness also poses a hurdle. I'm actually surprised more guys don't drop out.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't drop out. Sometimes you just can't beat a hamstring problem.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't drop out. Sometimes you just can't beat a hamstring problem.
That's very true. Hamstring injuries, for whatever reason, can follow a person for years. The problem is they feel better after just a little rest, but actually require about 2 months of rest and gentle stretching. Guys think they're cured and they're not. That's what worries me about Sammy Watkins. He has a history of hamstring problems.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright time to place one of my favorites on the record for the Packers and MLF next year.

Enter the unique crazy special IMO TE/RB out of South Carolina Jaheim Bell (entering Junior year)

I threw the RB next to his name because the dude literally is like a big RB and even has even taken handoffs and produced, but once he has the ball this dude runs like a RB. He's 6'3' and roughly 230lbs last report I saw and moves excellent.

Last year was his breakout year (true sophomore) putting up 497 yards on only 30 receptions (16.6 ypc), 5 TDs and 7 rushes for 40 yards (5.7 ypr). Now to be clear 295 of his yards came in two games, a massive 6 catch 136 yard 1 TD game against Vanderbilt in regular season...but most impressively on the big stage in their bowl game last year against North Carolina this cat showed up in a BIG way with 5 catches, 159 yards and 2 TDs PLUS 3 rushes for 21 yards.

With Tonyan perhaps not coming back fully healthy, or playing big and into a contract elsewhere....Deguara maybe not continuing to grow and excel.....Lewis may finally retire....

Bell is a special weapon offensively with a willingness and strong lower body capable of blocking. I'd LOVE to see him in GB

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright time to place one of my favorites on the record for the Packers and MLF next year.

Enter the unique crazy special IMO TE/RB out of South Carolina Jaheim Bell (entering Junior year)

I threw the RB next to his name because the dude literally is like a big RB and even has even taken handoffs and produced, but once he has the ball this dude runs like a RB. He's 6'3' and roughly 230lbs last report I saw and moves excellent.

Last year was his breakout year (true sophomore) putting up 497 yards on only 30 receptions (16.6 ypc), 5 TDs and 7 rushes for 40 yards (5.7 ypr). Now to be clear 295 of his yards came in two games, a massive 6 catch 136 yard 1 TD game against Vanderbilt in regular season...but most impressively on the big stage in their bowl game last year against North Carolina this cat showed up in a BIG way with 5 catches, 159 yards and 2 TDs PLUS 3 rushes for 21 yards.

With Tonyan perhaps not coming back fully healthy, or playing big and into a contract elsewhere....Deguara maybe not continuing to grow and excel.....Lewis may finally retire....

Bell is a special weapon offensively with a willingness and strong lower body capable of blocking. I'd LOVE to see him in GB

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
So he's going into his junior year, right Ty? Definitely a guy to watch. He looks more like a Deebo Samuel WR/RB at his weight - he's 15 to 20 lbs light for a TE. I'm gonna guess he doesn't do much blocking but that's fine. And I like the big numbers against NC. No matter where NC is ranked, they are a tough out. Will watch for him this year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So he's going into his junior year, right Ty? Definitely a guy to watch. He looks more like a Deebo Samuel WR/RB at his weight - he's 15 to 20 lbs light for a TE. I'm gonna guess he doesn't do much blocking but that's fine. And I like the big numbers against NC. No matter where NC is ranked, they are a tough out. Will watch for him this year.

I fully expect he adds another 10 lbs or so before or during this next season. Yes he is going into his Junior year and given the TE pool that is out there I suspect if he puts up another 500+ yard production type season we will see him declare and be possibly the 2nd or 3rd highest touted TE IMO with the ND BEAST being the bonafide clear and evident #1 (Mayer is special).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect he adds another 10 lbs or so before or during this next season. Yes he is going into his Junior year and given the TE pool that is out there I suspect if he puts up another 500+ yard production type season we will see him declare and be possibly the 2nd or 3rd highest touted TE IMO with the ND BEAST being the bonafide clear and evident #1 (Mayer is special).
That's true. I forget these guys are still growing. Well count me in for a TE who can run. Been a long time since we had one in GB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true. I forget these guys are still growing. Well count me in for a TE who can run. Been a long time since we had one in GB.

Easy there. Deguara has shown in the latter part of 2021 why so many liked him as a late Day 2 or early Day 3 prospect in his draft class....the question is if he continues to prove that.

Bell however to me will be a better offensive weapon than even Deguara was when he came out (despite being one of the most decorated TEs in Cinci history...which is a feat). The question is blocking technique from Bell. I don't need to see overpowering blocking skills, that isn't his game - however showcase to me positioning and technique is there and awareness of reading for downfield blocking.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easy there. Deguara has shown in the latter part of 2021 why so many liked him as a late Day 2 or early Day 3 prospect in his draft class....the question is if he continues to prove that.

Bell however to me will be a better offensive weapon than even Deguara was when he came out (despite being one of the most decorated TEs in Cinci history...which is a feat). The question is blocking technique from Bell. I don't need to see overpowering blocking skills, that isn't his game - however showcase to me positioning and technique is there and awareness of reading for downfield blocking.
So far, DeGuarra has proven to me to be "just a guy". I admit he made some decent progress, especially after the knee injury. And it's still too early to judge him as a player, he's not in his prime yet. I hope he continues to progress and be a TE that can do damage in the seam. I just need to see more to be convinced.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far, DeGuarra has proven to me to be "just a guy". I admit he made some decent progress, especially after the knee injury. And it's still too early to judge him as a player, he's not in his prime yet. I hope he continues to progress and be a TE that can do damage in the seam. I just need to see more to be convinced.

I've illustrated a lot of late how he closed out the year last year production wise was vastly more than just a "guy" at TE - but that could be our definitions of what that means. For me a TE that is just a guy is the #4 or so on the roster. Deguara produced like a TE2 down the stretch, is it sustainable? No clue. Either way, I suspect at least two of these four (Lewis, Deguara, Tonyan, Davis) will not be here after this season either not panning out, health, FA or retirement losses.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've illustrated a lot of late how he closed out the year last year production wise was vastly more than just a "guy" at TE - but that could be our definitions of what that means. For me a TE that is just a guy is the #4 or so on the roster. Deguara produced like a TE2 down the stretch, is it sustainable? No clue. Either way, I suspect at least two of these four (Lewis, Deguara, Tonyan, Davis) will not be here after this season either not panning out, health, FA or retirement losses.
Well I hope Tonyan can return and return to his 2020 form. I'm not writing off DeGuarra, not at all. What he did at the end of last year is even more impressive given his injury. And he knows, or should know, that he has a chance to be the #1 TE. So I'm on his side, and I expect he will perform.

Maybe I'm a bit skeptical because of the Packers' poor drafting record at TE. Sternberger for example. And then they had a decent FA TE in Cook and wouldn't pay $3 mil to keep him. (That one is on TT, RIP.) And wasn't Tonyan an UDFA? And it's too bad because MLF loves using TEs in his game plan. Anyway, I'll be pulling for DeGuarra this year, and Tonyan.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I hope Tonyan can return and return to his 2020 form. I'm not writing off DeGuarra, not at all. What he did at the end of last year is even more impressive given his injury. And he knows, or should know, that he has a chance to be the #1 TE. So I'm on his side, and I expect he will perform.

Maybe I'm a bit skeptical because of the Packers' poor drafting record at TE. Sternberger for example. And then they had a decent FA TE in Cook and wouldn't pay $3 mil to keep him. (That one is on TT, RIP.) And wasn't Tonyan an UDFA? And it's too bad because MLF loves using TEs in his game plan. Anyway, I'll be pulling for DeGuarra this year, and Tonyan.

The new regime really has had a knack for finding TEs though, and have only taken two in the draft so very small sample size. Yes Tonyan was not originally an UDFA signing by us but the Lions. We pounced on him later in 2017 (Dec). Tyler Davis is looking very similar to the Tonyan pathway to success here as well...could Alize Mack be another story of such a turn when we get to 2023?

Either way, in a perfect scenario Tonyan is back healthy...because if he is MLF finally has his three different threats at TE for his offense to hit on all cylinders and all three are very deadly in their respective roles.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The new regime really has had a knack for finding TEs though, and have only taken two in the draft so very small sample size. Yes Tonyan was not originally an UDFA signing by us but the Lions. We pounced on him later in 2017 (Dec). Tyler Davis is looking very similar to the Tonyan pathway to success here as well...could Alize Mack be another story of such a turn when we get to 2023?

Either way, in a perfect scenario Tonyan is back healthy...because if he is MLF finally has his three different threats at TE for his offense to hit on all cylinders and all three are very deadly in their respective roles.
Well Tonyan and DeGuarra can get some yardage (although I think DeGuarra serves well as an in-line blocker, not sure) and the ageless Lewis is back to block and surprise us now and then with a catch. That's a solid TE group if you look at potential. They all have to prove it.

Members online

Latest posts