2023 Draft Talk

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers could keep Jones for next season by restructuring his contract. There's no way he will be around with a cap hit of $20 million in 2023 though.
I agree. If he has a typical year for him, he'll likely get a better offer somewhere else. How much? Not sure. He seems like the kind of guy who would stay if the offers are close. But chances are better that a team with a lot of cap will get him. I think Dallas has a lot of cap, and Elliott is getting old. Who knows?

Or I suppose they could do that magical thing where they rework a guy's contract, with more money, and somehow reduce the cap hit in the same year. They did it with Alexander and I think Rodgers. At some point, I would think all that dead cap has to be accounted for. Rodgers alone could cripple the cap. They don't need more.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones won’t get any offers unless we cut him. He is signed for next year but his hit jumps to an insane level we won’t do. Restructure or cut is a lock.
Got it. As always, a lot will depend on his health and how he performs this year. There's no reason to expect a decline in performance. And yeah, they could restructure his contract. They already did that with Rodgers and Alexander. Ya gotta wonder when future dead cap becomes too much of an issue. I guess as long as they have Rodgers and he keeps performing, they'll do all they can to be a SB contender.

After Rodgers is gone, well it probably won't be pretty for at least a year, maybe more.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This off-season the Packers already have over $14mil dead money that was pushed into the future over the past few years. That money goes to the following players who won't be under contract on '23: Tonyan, Amos, Lewis, Cobb, Crosby, & Reed.

That leaves a lot of holes in the roster as well as less cap $ to spend replacing them. There isn't much cap space available to re-sign Jenkins, either. Pushing money into the future is a problem that soon will be unmanageable.

Reaction score
This off-season the Packers already have over $14mil dead money that was pushed into the future over the past few years. That money goes to the following players who won't be under contract on '23: Tonyan, Amos, Lewis, Cobb, Crosby, & Reed.

That leaves a lot of holes in the roster as well as less cap $ to spend replacing them. There isn't much cap space available to re-sign Jenkins, either. Pushing money into the future is a problem that soon will be unmanageable.
Oh I see… our credit sucks.
Do you offer Lay-away? :)

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Dallas has a lot of cap, and Elliott is getting old.

Dallas won't have significantly more cap space to spend next offseason as the Packers.

The Bears will have by far more cap space available in 2023 than any other team in the league.

I full expect the Packers to continue that approach as long as Rodgers is around and their Super Bowl window to be open.

That will allow them to re-sign some core players like the did this past offseason.

It's true that at some point down the road it will result in a significant issue with the cap. The Packers should be able to get back on track in a single season though, most likely the one after Rodgers isn't around anymore in which they most likely wouldn't be a contender anyway.

isn't 2023 also the year when Rodgers' cap number is something obscene like 68 Million?

Rodgers will have a cap hit of $31.6 million in 2023.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dallas won't have significantly more cap space to spend next offseason as the Packers.

The Bears will have by far more cap space available in 2023 than any other team in the league.

I full expect the Packers to continue that approach as long as Rodgers is around and their Super Bowl window to be open.

That will allow them to re-sign some core players like the did this past offseason.

It's true that at some point down the road it will result in a significant issue with the cap. The Packers should be able to get back on track in a single season though, most likely the one after Rodgers isn't around anymore in which they most likely wouldn't be a contender anyway.

Rodgers will have a cap hit of $31.6 million in 2023.
Thanks. Maybe I was thinking of the Bears. Well if they can control it, their never gonna let Jones go to the Bears. But if they have no choice but to cut him, they won't control his destination.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't consider going 11-5 in 2009 and making it to the playoffs as a a bad season.
2008-2009 was Rodgers' coming out year, IMO. If they had any kind of defense, they probably could have made a good run in the playoffs. The playoff loss, if I recall, was against the Cardinals and a total shootout with the over greater than 100. I think the game ended win a Rodgers fumble returned for a TD, maybe in OT. It was a helluva season and a helluva game. They won the SB two years later.

D

Deleted member 6794

2008-2009 was Rodgers' coming out year, IMO. If they had any kind of defense, they probably could have made a good run in the playoffs. The playoff loss, if I recall, was against the Cardinals and a total shootout with the over greater than 100. I think the game ended win a Rodgers fumble returned for a TD, maybe in OT. It was a helluva season and a helluva game. They won the SB two years later.

The Packers' offense was already pretty good in Rodgers' first season as the starter in 2008, ranking fifth in points scored in the league. They finished only 6-10 because the defense struggled.

In 2009, they lost in the Wildcard round at Arizona by a score of 51-45 in overtime. They were able to come back after being down by as much as 21 points at one point of the game to force overtime. You're right that the game ended on a Rodgers' fumble being returned for a touchdown on the fourth play of OT after he overthrew a wide open Greg Jennings on the first play of it for a 80-yard walk-off touchdown.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers' offense was already pretty good in Rodgers' first season as the starter in 2008, ranking fifth in points scored in the league. They finished only 6-10 because the defense struggled.

In 2009, they lost in the Wildcard round at Arizona by a score of 51-45 in overtime. They were able to come back after being down by as much as 21 points at one point of the game to force overtime. You're right that the game ended on a Rodgers' fumble being returned for a touchdown on the fourth play of OT after he overthrew a wide open Greg Jennings on the first play of it for a 80-yard walk-off touchdown.
That was Rodgers 5th season in Green Bay. Gold is seldom created overnight. Is Joe Burrows a finished product? We'll never see the finished product of Burrows if he continues to take the physical abuse he is currently taking. QB's take time and patience. We had to go through the growing pains with both Favre and Rodgers. As we will with Love if he's still here when that time comes.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was Rodgers 5th season in Green Bay. Gold is seldom created overnight. Is Joe Burrows a finished product? We'll never see the finished product of Burrows if he continues to take the physical abuse he is currently taking. QB's take time and patience. We had to go through the growing pains with both Favre and Rodgers. As we will with Love if he's still here when that time comes.
Did Cincinnati do anything in the off season to improve the O line? Doesn't sound like it or maybe they've got injuries.

Reaction score
I don't consider going 11-5 in 2009 and making it to the playoffs as a a bad season.
It was a pretty good season for a 2nd year starting QB. Especially when we consider we went toe to toe with The Cardinals (that game was a toss up) and they lost to the Saints (Who Won the Super Bowl). The Vikings, Saints, Packers and Arizona were 4 of the leagues best 6.
If you look at our Points For/Against we were really one of the most well rounded teams that 2009 season.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a pretty good season for a 2nd year starting QB. Especially when we consider we went toe to toe with The Cardinals (that game was a toss up) and they lost to the Saints (Who Won the Super Bowl). The Vikings, Saints, Packers and Arizona were 4 of the leagues best 6.
If you look at our Points For/Against we were really one of the most well rounded teams that 2009 season.
That brings back memories. I remember the NFCCG was the Favre-led Vikings against NOLA. The vikes were in range for the winning FG and Favre threw a completely ridiculous (even for him) INT. Saints went on to win the SB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Did Cincinnati do anything in the off season to improve the O line? Doesn't sound like it or maybe they've got injuries.
Cincy has spent adequate draft capital on their O-Line over the past 5 years with not much results. Don't know if it's bad scouting or bad coaching or both. I don't follow them at all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cincy has spent adequate draft capital on their O-Line over the past 5 years with not much results. Don't know if it's bad scouting or bad coaching or both. I don't follow them at all.
I don't follow them either. I just remember it being mentioned before the SB. GB has always done well drafting and developing O linemen. Billy Turner is the only FA I can think of. I guess GB's curse has been defense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't follow them either. I just remember it being mentioned before the SB. GB has always done well drafting and developing O linemen. Billy Turner is the only FA I can think of. I guess GB's curse has been defense.

Dennis Kelly and Veldheer also were FA bring ins that played substantial roles of late. Turner however was the only bigger and multi-year signee. You're spot on in that GB seems to excel strongly with OL scouting for the draft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dennis Kelly and Veldheer also were FA bring ins that played substantial roles of late. Turner however was the only bigger and multi-year signee. You're spot on inane I've noticed that GB seems to excel strongly with OL scouting for the draft.
Thanks for filling in those blanks. And whenever there is a nationally televised game and starters say what school they're from, a good number of starting NFL O linemen played at UW.

I guess that's a WI tradition. I don't recall many truly awful O lines in GB. It was amazing how much difference Jenkins made Sunday night. They need Bakhtiari though. Rodgers is getting sacked too much (and that's a function of the O line and receivers getting open). The LT position right now is just not good enough to protect Rodgers' blind side consistently.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but only his second season as a starter.

The 2009 season was a pretty good season for any quarterback, no matter which season of one's career. The 461 points scored that year rank fourth in franchise history.
That's an interesting stat. Aside from Rodgers, who were the other impact players on that offense?

Latest posts