2023 Draft 6th Round #179 Karl Brooks

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another player I think deserves his own thread

Horrible athlete, but extremely productive. Analyst on ESPN said he was the most technically savvy DL in the draft. He dominated play in and play out at the lower level of competition. He was ranked in the top 100 by most analysts.

Great pick for the 6th round.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
5.87 RAS as a DT.

Certainly not your typical Packers athlete, but not a terrible athlete either. Average for the position.

Weird prospect-- played a lot of edge for BG. Even stood up... at 300 lbs.

They needed multiple iDL so I'm good with it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a guy that despite his athletic profile wins time and time again on film.

Some guys simply win, and Brooks was a guy many had inside top 100 so I love the swing at him.

D

Deleted member 6794

PFF had Brooks as the highest graded edge defender in college football last season. In addition he was credited with the second most pressures in the entire FBS among his position group.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like his versatility. He's an upgrade over Lowry if he can hold his ground and not be put on roller skates in short yardage situations. For a 6th round pick, there isn't much downside to a guy like Brooks.

Reaction score
I like his versatility. He's an upgrade over Lowry if he can hold his ground and not be put on roller skates in short yardage situations. For a 6th round pick, there isn't much downside to a guy like Brooks.
Yeah, if we can just get that Kingsley Keke type rotational production it’s a Win (Keke was #150 overall)

In his collegiate career Brooks totaled 167 tackles, 46 being for a loss, 27.5 sacks, 1 interception, 5 pass deflections, 5 forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery.

27.5% TFL is elite level. The only guys that are above that # go very early in a draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Finally took some time to look at Brooks. Seems like a guy that plays much better on the EDGE, but due to his size and the Packers need on the DL, he might end up playing there. When you watch the film on him, he seemed to be a dominant standup EDGE player, that MAC teams often felt the need to double team him. Then when he lined up on the DL, he often ran himself right out of the play. The Packers are going to need to team his to contain his natural instincts to just get to the QB by any means possible, NFL teams will pick up on that and be able to use it to their advantage.

He has some real raw talent, it is just going to have to be reshaped to work in the NFL, against much bigger and talented players. I hope the Packers figure out how to get him some 3rd down snaps at EDGE, I really think his talents are better suited there.

This was one of the better things I watched on him. Really enjoy Tyler's breakdown of players.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m telling you Brooks was impossible to pin down on where he would get picked - trusted guys that know their crap had him from the 2nd to the 6th because he is the odd almost hybrid type.

I see him being Lowry at times or a stand up big package outside.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has the body of a DE. His lack of speed will show at edge in the pros. I think if he makes the Packers, it will have to be at DE. He will have to learn how to be as effective on the interior as he is out on the edge.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has the body of a DE. His lack of speed will show at edge in the pros. I think if he makes the Packers, it will have to be at DE. He will have to learn how to be as effective on the interior as he is out on the edge.

Absolutely, now to be fair I think his burst is better than his shorts time show, but I completely agree his snaps will mainly come hand down and inside tackle shoulder BUT he offers a big edge we could use against teams that look to pass as well as run in early downs.

Or imagine a package where Kenny is down in middle but LVN and Brooks are standing with Preston and Gary outside them. Hybrid rush options with bodies to handle rush possibly too.

Reaction score
For me His TFL displays his upfront toughness and eagerness to disrupt. It’s on the level of Van Ness, although against lesser competition. Krafty Karl has very smooth hand or swipe maneuvers, he’s often seen running by a RT or LT nearly untouched. In some other film review I saw several times he would’ve likely drawn a holding penalty as he was completely past his opponent and they were in desperation to impact his straught pathway to the QB. Yet he’d still make a play without getting any help from a referee.

Caya

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m telling you Brooks was impossible to pin down on where he would get picked - trusted guys that know their crap had him from the 2nd to the 6th because he is the odd almost hybrid type.

I see him being Lowry at times or a stand up big package outside.
if he can adjust and learn to keep his pad level low, the sky is the limit for him. Great, great value at that pick.

Members online

Latest posts