2022 Training Camp Thread

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Figured instead of pop up discussions or tag lines coming due to TC a thread for any and all TC related content might be beneficial.

I'll start it off with a posed question of discussion last night between some fellow Packer fans and I "What are three or four roster surprises that will come out of training camp?"

#1 - Romeo is the most polished WR in camp. Many of us hold this belief and this won't surprise us, but it will surprise quite a few fans and media types expecting Watson and his freak tool kit to be that. I still think Watson's ceiling is higher (if he reaches it) but Romeo is a stud in his own right, just farther along IMO in his journey to his ceiling.

#2 - Saw another person say this but I truly believe Tyler Goodson is going to make waves and many are going to be saying heading into PS that Tyler is the favorite to win the #3 role here.

#3 - Buzz surrounding Garvin's growth has many hoping the depth at OLB isn't as bad as we think

Discuss away...

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since you're asking for "surprises" this allows my wild predictions!! ;)

1. Gabe Brkic unseats Crosby as GB's kicker of the present/future. Packers save $3.4Mil on the cap.
2. Bisaccia tries Doubs at punt returner and Romeo solidifies his roster spot by replacing Amari Rodgers as PR. Unless Amari outshines Cobb at slot Rodgers doesn't make the 53.
3. Packers start 2 rookies on the OL... with Bakhtiari & Jenkins sidelined Sean Rhyan & Zach Tom claim starting spots at OG & RT, respectively. Gute sees enough this season at OL to NOT extend Jenkins.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I don't think your #3 is that outlandish of happening. I think the odds of one of Rhyan and Tom making a battle and winning out for a spot is not just possible but likely...with Jenkins and Bakh uncertainty the chance at two of the three rookies (Walker as well) starting is quite possible.

D

Deleted member 6794

Takeaways from Gutekunst's press conference:

- Bakhtiari had another procedute this offseason, no timetable for return but cautiously optimistic he will be ready for week 1. The team isn't concerned he will never be back.

- Elgton Jenkins is ahead of schedule in his recovery. Oh boy, I heard that one before :eek:

- Sammy Watkins is a very short-term thing. Should be able to practice soon.

- Christian Watson suffered an injury during OTAs, will miss a bit of time but nothing long-term.

- Caliph Brice, Caleb Jones, Dean Lowry and Patrick Taylor will be activated from the injury lists today.

- Team is not in the market for a wide receiver, rolling with the current group at this point.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asking for roster surprises should generally mean that our choices shouldn't be scrutinized. Predictions should be scrutinized. Surprises means that they are not likely to occur...so without further ado:

1. Chester Marcol completes a miraculous comeback, unseating Mason Crosby to be our FG kicker
2. Matt LaFleur gives up play-calling duties to Adam Stenovich
3. Kenny Clark goes down early with a season-ending injury
4. Joe Barry goes all in on Buddy Ryan's 46 defense, leaving Alexander & Stokes (aka the "Twin Islands") to shut down WRs single-handedly

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the most interesting thing out of yesterday's practice was the lineup used on the offensive line.

First unit (from left to right):
Yosh Nijman, Jon Runyan, Josh Myers, Jake Hanson and Royce Newman

Second unit:
Zach Tom, Michael Menet, Jake Hanson, Sean Rhyan, Cole Van Lanen

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the most interesting thing out of yesterday's practice was the lineup used on the offensive line.

First unit (from left to right):
Yosh Nijman, Jon Runyan, Josh Myers, Jake Hanson and Royce Newman

Second unit:
Zach Tom, Michael Menet, Jake Hanson, Sean Rhyan, Cole Van Lanen

Hanson at RG was not something I thought we would see. However this is all of course without a rookie in there of course on OL#1 - which I strongly think changes, even if Bakh is healthy I still feel we will see Tom or Rhyan take a starting spot over.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hanson at RG was not something I thought we would see. However this is all of course without a rookie in there of course on OL#1 - which I strongly think changes, even if Bakh is healthy I still feel we will see Tom or Rhyan take a starting spot over.

I definitely don't expect that to be the starting lineup in week 1 even if Bakhtiari won't be able to play. Still, I thought it was interesting that Hanson and Newman lined up at right guard and tackle respectively.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely don't expect that to be the starting lineup in week 1 even if Bakhtiari won't be able to play. Still, I thought it was interesting that Hanson and Newman lined up at right guard and tackle respectively.

For sure, as many know Hanson was a guy I loved when we drafted him and he slowly appeared to be slipping into the "to be cut" category....it seems late last year and now of course this nod early that he has to have grown quite a bit in abilities and or maturation of the system.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since you're asking for "surprises" this allows my wild predictions!! ;)

1. Gabe Brkic unseats Crosby as GB's kicker of the present/future. Packers save $3.4Mil on the cap.
2. Bisaccia tries Doubs at punt returner and Romeo solidifies his roster spot by replacing Amari Rodgers as PR. Unless Amari outshines Cobb at slot Rodgers doesn't make the 53.
3. Packers start 2 rookies on the OL... with Bakhtiari & Jenkins sidelined Sean Rhyan & Zach Tom claim starting spots at OG & RT, respectively. Gute sees enough this season at OL to NOT extend Jenkins.

Amari will make the 53. He's still a project for sure, but you need competition with talented players to see who develops into regular contributors. I don't think they'll give up on him in just his second year. He has value if Cobb goes down, and Cobb gets injured a lot.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm so excited for the early reports out of camp confirming my belief in Doubs. I know and realize I was higher on him than many pundits even were, but dangit if I still don't think he will be the better WR between he and Watson out the gate. He's had two TD snags in two days and today a backshoulder fade in the endzone over Stokes from Aaron sounds like it was GORGEOUS!

Reaction score
For sure, as many know Hanson was a guy I loved when we drafted him and he slowly appeared to be slipping into the "to be cut" category....it seems late last year and now of course this nod early that he has to have grown quite a bit in abilities and or maturation of the system.
Yeah. I’m also wondering, while he’s listed often a Center. Did he maybe practice in the RG role as a depth option last season?

I do remember reading somewhere that they felt Newman was a more natural fit at RT. While he played RG last season, I think Tackle was his preferred strength, but he was a more ready candidate.

Glad to hear Hanson is rising. I also wondered if he wouldn’t get cut this season. His experience at backup Center gives him extra value now that Lucas is gone. Although I think we have like 4 guys who have played some Center either in college or pros.

You know. I just happened to have watched some film from last season. Garvin showed up several times in that film with either a Hurry or Sack. I didn’t remember those plays, but in limited time he was finishing strong.
The other player that stood out was Barnes on ST. He was reaping havoc on several plays being disruptive and including a fumble recovery. I saw a new Depth chart with him as our
#3 LB (which shouldn’t come as a surprise) but that likely means he’s a staple on ST, which won’t hurt my feelings one bit. Krys is a darn good athlete.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Amari will make the 53. He's still a project for sure, but you need competition with talented players to see who develops into regular contributors. I don't think they'll give up on him in just his second year. He has value if Cobb goes down, and Cobb gets injured a lot.

Cobb missed five games last season yet Amari wasn't able to take advantage of it. Even with him having been a third round pick only a year ago I don't consider him a lock to make the roster.

Yeah. I’m also wondering, while he’s listed often a Center. Did he maybe practice in the RG role as a depth option last season?

I do remember reading somewhere that they felt Newman was a more natural fit at RT. While he played RG last season, I think Tackle was his preferred strength, but he was a more ready candidate.

Glad to hear Hanson is rising. I also wondered if he wouldn’t get cut this season. His experience at backup Center gives him extra value now that Lucas is gone. Although I think we have like 4 guys who have played some Center either in college or pros.

MLF mentioned that the team will use numerous combinations on the offensive line during camp to figure out the best one.

Yesterday the first unit lined up with LT Zach Tom, LG Jon Runyan, C Josh Myers, RG Royce Newman and RT Josh Nijman.

D

Deleted member 6794

In addition to Watkins DL Akial Byers, OLB Randy Ramsey and OL Rasheed Walker returned to practice yesterday.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay so some positive vibes type only post:

PUP guys:

Footage of Bakh on believe was Day 4 doing high steps and "icky shuffle" drills is a sign the fluid issues in his knee are hopefully (fingers crossed) behind us.

Tonyan looked very quick and solid in a few shuffle step and jab steps to his right before catching and turning up field. VERY promising at how quick and confident he looked...fingers crossed he keeps progressing.

Jenkins footage is getting mixed results and I have to say I LOVE seeing him doing some drills in the rehab area albeit slightly gingerly if you will.

While Doubs has been making the "biggest waves" it seems, Amari Rodgers has had some big plays as well reminding many of what GB hopes he will become once the reigns are handed over from Cobb to him for that pure slot type guy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone is down on Amari Rodgers, as was I last season. However, I don't think that there was enough to see out of him at WR. There have been some hype articles in the offseason, but I just keep reminding myself that he's only entering his second season. He would have to soil the bed in training camp to not make the 53-man roster. He and Cobb have a special relationship, which makes me think that Rodgers is in his corner too. It would be highly unusual for the Packers to cut a drafted player before Yr 2.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before folks ignorantly blast Love for a three and out in his two minute drill today that ended with a Pick 6.....Tyler Davis fell down on his route....

I've seen folks already on social medias going at Love for something zero QBs can overcome.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference being, we've seen Rodgers make about every play there is to be made on the playing field and with regularity. Love has not done that yet. and unless Rodgers threads a needle or makes some quick audible at the line that results in something like that being wide open, most people wouldn't mention it as a great play by Rodgers either.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb missed five games last season yet Amari wasn't able to take advantage of it. Even with him having been a third round pick only a year ago I don't consider him a lock to make the roster.

MLF mentioned that the team will use numerous combinations on the offensive line during camp to figure out the best one.

Yesterday the first unit lined up with LT Zach Tom, LG Jon Runyan, C Josh Myers, RG Royce Newman and RT Josh Nijman.

I do think he's a lock - at least for this year. He only had 8 targets all last year. Rodgers wasn't looking his way much at all the entire season, but again it was his rookie season and it can take a few years to get their heads on right. They won't give up on a 3rd rounder at wr (that they traded up for) that easy.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy I work with never did like Jordan Love and is always saying he will never be a good QB. The other day he was going on about how Doubs and Rodgers were making play after play and catching darts. Then he said, and this is a direct quote "that's without Rodgers throwing them the ball" So I simply said "does that mean Love is throwing darts?" he just shut up and went back to work.

D

Deleted member 6794

Everyone is down on Amari Rodgers, as was I last season. However, I don't think that there was enough to see out of him at WR. There have been some hype articles in the offseason, but I just keep reminding myself that he's only entering his second season. He would have to soil the bed in training camp to not make the 53-man roster. He and Cobb have a special relationship, which makes me think that Rodgers is in his corner too. It would be highly unusual for the Packers to cut a drafted player before Yr 2.

I do think he's a lock - at least for this year. He only had 8 targets all last year. Rodgers wasn't looking his way much at all the entire season, but again it was his rookie season and it can take a few years to get their heads on right. They won't give up on a 3rd rounder at wr (that they traded up for) that easy.

Amari needs to be productive in camp and preseason games to make the roster though. Otherwise it's entirely possible the Packers keep Lazard, Cobb, Watkins, Watson, Doubs and Winfree (who has reportedly been making some good plays in practice).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amari needs to be productive in camp and preseason games to make the roster though.
He didn't need to be productive last year to make the roster. You have to admit that GMs are extremely reluctant to give up on draft picks that quickly, especially ones in the 1st through 3rd rounds.

It's also entirely possible that the Packers keep 7 WR, since it is the most unproven group along with OL.

Reaction score
He didn't need to be productive last year to make the roster. You have to admit that GMs are extremely reluctant to give up on draft picks that quickly, especially ones in the 1st through 3rd rounds.

It's also entirely possible that the Packers keep 7 WR, since it is the most unproven group along with OL.
I was going to say the same thing.
If there was ever a year to go heavy with a 7 WR room, This would be that year.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts