2022 Pick #22 Quay Walker

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm honestly at a loss on the Quay pick, I think this was a reach. It's almost like the GBP think there will be good receivers around forever.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Soooooo.....

They just paid Campbell 50M
They have Kris Barnes, and they only play 1 ILB on nearly 50% of the snaps
A record 6 WRs drafted first 20 picks
Aj brown and Hollywood brown traded for
u trade away the best wr in football
and the last "blue chip wr" (christian watson) is still available and u get a player at a position not of need

WTF GUTE U ******

SMH....

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Soooooo.....

They just paid Campbell 50M
They have Kris Barnes, and they only play 1 ILB on nearly 50% of the snaps
A record 6 WRs drafted first 20 picks
Aj brown and Hollywood brown traded for
u trade away the best wr in football
and the last "blue chip wr" (christian watson) is still available and u get a player at a position not of need

WTF GUTE U ******

SMH....

Quay isn’t a pure ILB only however.

George Pickens is a more ready player now than Watson. The Quay pick isn’t one I’d have done but it just very quickly upgraded our defense in a big way.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I didn’t imagine they would take a LB in round one in the lead up to the draft (had to laugh at the comment “just the Packers doing Packer things”— this is so off brand for them).

But I like it quite a bit.

This team needs to win right now.

That means that the more immediately the picks can contribute, the better.

The Packers defense when in their 4-2-5 base has one major deficiency: the LB spot next to Campbell. Barry wants to major in nickel. Linebackers not named Campbell played 700+ snaps last year, and they all sucked. There is a huge role here for Walker to take over and make an impact.

It came out late in the process that the league regarded him as the best linebacker prospect in the class.

He’s young, he’s an elite athlete, he’s good on tape, he’s versatile.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The #1 complaint on this board for the past several years has been the inability to stop the run. Now they have a 240 lb. ILB who's physical and can go sideline to sideline. Then follow it up with an interior run stuffer. This defense has the potential to be a top 5. The WR's they coveted were gone, so these picks made total sense. I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade up in round 2 and go after one of the second tier WR's.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The #1 complaint on this board for the past several years has been the inability to stop the run. Now they have a 240 lb. ILB who's physical and can go sideline to sideline. Then follow it up with an interior run stuffer. This defense has the potential to be a top 5. The WR's they coveted were gone, so these picks made total sense. I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade up in round 2 and go after one of the second tier WR's.
Spot on

D

Deleted member 6794

While I definitely would have liked the Packers to draft a wide receiver at #22 or #28 I like both of the selections as it address a need on the defensive side of the ball. It seems like Gutekunst didn't have any first round grade on a WR still on board at the point it was their turn. With that being said the position needs to be addressed before the start of the season somehow.

Rogers isn’t throwing to rookies. He said as much.

When did Rodgers ever say something like that???

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I definitely would have liked the Packers to draft a wide receiver at #22 or #28 I like both of the selections as it address a need on the defensive side of the ball. It seems like Gutekunst didn't have any first round grade on a WR still on board at the point it was their turn. With that being said the position needs to be addressed before the start of the season somehow.

When did Rodgers ever say something like that???

Cap, I agree completely.

Once I saw the Lions jump up (significantly) to grab Williams at #12, I knew that other teams would copycat and grab the "top tier" WRs.

The selection of both Quay Walker (great name) and Devonte Wyatt sounds like an All-Pro name) solves immediate concerns as far depth and rotational issues will also mitigating any drop-off in play at ILB and DT for the future.

The fact both come from the same school and are familiar with each other is a huge plus.

Another thing that isn't mentioned is that while truly skilled, athletic, and productive in high school, the top receivers are average to below average in terms of size (excluding Burks).

Big, physical receivers are a must in the NFC North, and while GB missed out, this could be a blessing in disguise.

The Packers will probably have to create a package to move up to the early 2nd round, because Watson, Pickens and Pierce will be hot commodities.

Those three to me are the "tier 2" WRs.

All three are players have chips on their shoulders and probably offer more potential with the exception of Jameson Williams.

Gute is doing good so far, but how he utilizes the Day 2-3 picks will make or break the 2022 draft class...or its perception.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have wanted The Pack to take a middle linebacker for a long time. I can only hope Quay is the man. I like Bishop but this guy's size and speed is exciting. Elite linebacking at SF, Seattle and tampa have really elevated those Ds. We should be looking really good on 3rd downs this year. Not to mention putting them in 3rd down situations. Will be big for the O for the D to get off the field faster and more often. I wanted wide receiver but glad we stayed pat and did not reach. I hope we end up with at least two picks in the 2nd round.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Moved all the posts not discussing the player in the title to the live draft thread. Do try to stay on topic. [/moderation]
This player I am not as familiar with as I did not expect a LB in the 1st round. Edge / trenches sure maybe even DB but a linebacker?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Moved all the posts not discussing the player in the title to the live draft thread. Do try to stay on topic. [/moderation]
This player I am not as familiar with as I did not expect a LB in the 1st round. Edge / trenches sure maybe even DB but a linebacker?

Surprised me too. Think about it this way and it makes sense.

Starters in Packers' Base Defense (4-2-5):

ED: Rashan Gary
iDL: Kenny Clark
iDL: Lowry/Reed
ED: Preston Smith

LB: De'Vondre Campbell
LB: Krys Barnes

CB: Jaire Alexander
CB: Eric Stokes
CB: Rasul Douglas

S: Adrian Amos
S: Darnell Savage

Now where is the biggest opportunity to upgrade the team on the field immediately?

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where'd you move the posts to?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprised me too. Think about it this way and it makes sense.

Starters in Packers' Base Defense (4-2-5):

ED: Rashan Gary
iDL: Kenny Clark
iDL: Lowry/Reed
ED: Preston Smith

LB: De'Vondre Campbell
LB: Krys Barnes

CB: Jaire Alexander
CB: Eric Stokes
CB: Rasul Douglas

S: Adrian Amos
S: Darnell Savage

Now where is the biggest opportunity to upgrade the team on the field immediately?
Walker will supplant Barnes by mid season.

Another CB and S would push the defense into Top 5.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Walker will supplant Barnes by mid season.

Another CB and S would push the defense into Top 5.

Brother, Walker supplanted Barnes last night.

My point in posting that starting unit was this-- heading into the draft last night, there was one very clear spot on defense where a rookie could make an instant impact.

So while linebacker was surprising from a Packers trends perspective, it makes sense if they're trying to use picks to help them win right now.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
“It’s been a while since we’ve been able to stay in certain packages with two inside ‘backers and handle everything in run defense and the passing game. This really gives our defense a ton of flexibility."

“Every defensive coordinator would love to have two guys that can really run and do the things that the guys that we have can do now, with Quay and Dre,” Gutekunst said. “There’s an ability now for us to stay in base and nickel in certain situations that maybe we haven’t had.”

“Having two interchangeable pieces there just gives our defense so much flexibility to stay in a certain personnel grouping. That was certainly attractive,” Gutekunst said. “You see in the league sometimes, there are certain defenses that don’t have to get out of certain personnel packages and it makes it really tough on offenses. His range and speed and explosiveness as a tackler just wasn’t something we thought we could pass up.”

Translation: They want to live in nickel; the days of Capers and Pettine using dime more than the rest of the league are over.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With no receiver left that was worthy of a first round pick, Walker was a great choice. He is a very special athlete and will be an all pro down the road.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brother, Walker supplanted Barnes last night.

My point in posting that starting unit was this-- heading into the draft last night, there was one very clear spot on defense where a rookie could make an instant impact.

So while linebacker was surprising from a Packers trends perspective, it makes sense if they're trying to use picks to help them win right now.
Cool. I was just being fair and diplomatic. Walker and Campbell is gonna be insane.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I find exciting about Quay is his combination of size and speed in the passing game. The Packers have been obliterated by TE's for a long time. He has both the speed and length to finally give the Packer defense a chance to not be a highlight reel for the oppossing TE's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts