2022 NFL Live Draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yeah and that's why I wonder if this WR salary inflation is an aberration. Your analysis shows how you could pay for, say 10 guys for what one guy would cost. I love Adams but never thought that salary was a good idea. I'm glad he wanted out. Now we'll have to see if it was worth it. I don't think that's a tough analysis.
Sadly, as the salary cap goes up, so do the huge contracts. The top QB contracts seem to go up about $10M every year or 2. The great EDGE players peaked and haven't really continued to rise, but that day is coming again. I think the WR contracts will stay at $20-30M for the top guys, until maybe teams realize that you can sometimes get similar production out of rookies. Wasn't there a point, right around the time that Bell wanted big bucks in Pittsburgh that GM's finally realized that you don't have to pay top RB's so much. I love Aaron Jones, but he will probably be done in GB after this season when the full force of his contract would hit.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly, as the salary cap goes up, so do the huge contracts. The top QB contracts seem to go up about $10M every year or 2. The great EDGE players peaked and haven't really continued to rise, but that day is coming again. I think the WR contracts will stay at $20-30M for the top guys, until maybe teams realize that you can sometimes get similar production out of rookies. Wasn't there a point, right around the time that Bell wanted big bucks in Pittsburgh that GM's finally realized that you don't have to pay top RB's so much. I love Aaron Jones, but he will probably be done in GB after this season when the full force of his contract would hit.
Good point about Bell. All it takes is one team to say "no" and it gets harder for the player to find a gig at a ridiculous salary. In the case of RBs, they don't last long and are relatively easy to replace. In the case of WRs, GMs can get 5 guys for the price of 1. So Adams and Hill will be rolling in it, until they're hurt. They'll still get paid, but GMs will hopefully get smarter.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point about Bell. All it takes is one team to say "no" and it gets harder for the player to find a gig at a ridiculous salary. In the case of RBs, they don't last long and are relatively easy to replace. In the case of WRs, GMs can get 5 guys for the price of 1. So Adams and Hill will be rolling in it, until they're hurt. They'll still get paid, but GMs will hopefully get smarter.
I wouldn't count on this. There is almost always a half dozen GM's that are woefully inept at their job. Watch closely in the middle of March every year. The circus and clown show plays out every year at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts