2022 Free Agents/Cuts/Players of Interest to Talk About

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just seemed appropriate to start this thread as we will be seeing in the coming days news of parting ways, future cuts/releases and such. Green Bay depending on Aaron could be active or may be unable.

Of course Rasul and Campbell are the clear top two FAs for Green Bay to want to sign/resign....but as the days progress I'm sure we will have ones to discuss in this thread.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyle Rudolph and the Giants are parting ways. With Tonyan most likely not healthy at start even if we resign him...and Deguara progressing but perhaps not there yet, Rudolph could be a bargain for sure - and if SOMEHOW Aaron stays and they can spare a few bills Rudolph may very well see a chance at a SB here in Green Bay. MLF would love to have another TE he can 100% trust to know blocking assignments and he has more receiving chops than Big Dog. Not to mention HIGH HIGH caliber man he is - that fits Green Bay culture.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyle Rudolph and the Giants are parting ways. With Tonyan most likely not healthy at start even if we resign him...and Deguara progressing but perhaps not there yet, Rudolph could be a bargain for sure - and if SOMEHOW Aaron stays and they can spare a few bills Rudolph may very well see a chance at a SB here in Green Bay. MLF would love to have another TE he can 100% trust to know blocking assignments and he has more receiving chops than Big Dog. Not to mention HIGH HIGH caliber man he is - that fits Green Bay culture.

If he's anything near the Kyle Rudolph that was at Notre Dame and can be that for 1 season great pick up. If he's a 12 year veteran, and the guy he's been in the NFL I'd bring him in for a workout then let him pass by.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's anything near the Kyle Rudolph that was at Notre Dame and can be that for 1 season great pick up. If he's a 12 year veteran, and the guy he's been in the NFL I'd bring him in for a workout then let him pass by.

Dude you are crazy, he has been an excellent NFL tight end nearly his entire career what have you been watching??

He is a veteran of course but lol to imply he hasn’t been a solid NFL TE is crazy talk.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude you are crazy, he has been an excellent NFL tight end nearly his entire career what have you been watching??

He is a veteran of course but lol to imply he hasn’t been a solid NFL TE is crazy talk.
What I tried to put out there was this: As long as he's not old *** Jimmy Graham Volume 2 sign him. If he IS...don't want him, don't need him, can't use him, don't touch him.

Reaction score
Kyle has obviously got some age. However he would likely see a spike in production IF Aaron is slinging it. That’s the 50 million dollar IF

All that said. I’d only consider Kyle if he’s in the veteran bargain bin (e.g. <=$3Mil area.). I think optimistically he’s a 500 yard 5-7TD type TE if used properly, which would be our -#1 as it sits.

It depends on Tonyan, his current health, progress, availability or his willingness to work with us on the$$. I’d rather have Tonyan back if it’s even possible.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonyan's injury was late October, so the "usual" 1 year recovery would have his return for the last 7-9 games. Spotrac places his estimated per year contract at $10.8mil. I certainly hope Gute doesn't even pay 1/2 of that on a long term deal. Maybe Tonyan signs a 1 year prove it deal for $2.5 or $3mil knowing that he's only available for half year AND that if he comes back & plays well that he cashes in in '23?

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonyan's injury was late October, so the "usual" 1 year recovery would have his return for the last 7-9 games. Spotrac places his estimated per year contract at $10.8mil. I certainly hope Gute doesn't even pay 1/2 of that on a long term deal. Maybe Tonyan signs a 1 year prove it deal for $2.5 or $3mil knowing that he's only available for half year AND that if he comes back & plays well that he cashes in in '23?

I doubt Tonyan makes more than 6. What is likely going to happen is a 5M prove it deal on a team with a good QB and it ain’t gonna be with us.

D

Deleted member 6794

With extremely limited cap space available this offseason I don't expect the Packers to be active in free agency. In the current situation I don't consider spending any of it on a soon-to-be 33-year old tight end as a smart idea.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With extremely limited cap space available this offseason I don't expect the Packers to be active in free agency. In the current situation I don't consider spending any of it on a soon-to-be 33-year old tight end as a smart idea.

I don’t expect it and even explained such. I foresee us being active late in FA when cheaper deals are had.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Bobby Wagner still really good?

This fits this thread better. So Wagner is definitely an aged Veteran...but this dude has played 15 or more games since 2015, he simply doesn't miss games and just last year (one extra game) he broke his best tackle number year with 170. He saw his second highest solo tackle total with 93. So the dude can still do his role...but he isn't a versatile multi-faceted ILB.

I don't know what the market will be for him honestly. Wouldn't shock me if he got a deal right away or is like Campbell last year and is still out there well past when compensatory picks are even affected...

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Wagner turns 32 in June and is still a durable, formidable NFL ILB. He had been making $18mil/yr, and I'm guessing someone will offer him a 3 yr/$30mil deal or more so not expecting GB to be a player for his services. :(

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good idea Ty. Do you have any idea what Rudolph's market value might be? The Packers will be able to afford one quality FA - and that's if they are aggressive with cuts and restructuring contracts. But the TE position is so important, getting a known quantity there would help (although that hasn't worked out well in the past - who cares?!). I think they can do it if they cut MVS. MVS is likely gonna have about a $24 mil market value on a 3-year deal. I'd rather they let him walk and use the money to bring in a FA WR or TE. If they can.......

And I'm writing this knowing Rodgers is on board and Adams is about 99% of the way there. They will need more firepower at receiver - TE or WR.

Question for you - do you think Cobb comes back? He's not worth $9.5 mil that's for sure.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good idea Ty. Do you have any idea what Rudolph's market value might be? The Packers will be able to afford one quality FA - and that's if they are aggressive with cuts and restructuring contracts. But the TE position is so important, getting a known quantity there would help (although that hasn't worked out well in the past - who cares?!). I think they can do it if they cut MVS. MVS is likely gonna have about a $24 mil market value on a 3-year deal. I'd rather they let him walk and use the money to bring in a FA WR or TE. If they can.......

And I'm writing this knowing Rodgers is on board and Adams is about 99% of the way there. They will need more firepower at receiver - TE or WR.

Question for you - do you think Cobb comes back? He's not worth $9.5 mil that's for sure.

Cobb doesn't touch the field for us without a cut in pay.

Rudolph is most likely going to get a similar deal to Lewis IMO

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks Ty. I'd rather Cobb retired. I like him, he had good to great years here, but he's at the end of his career.

If Rudolph can be had for a contract similar to Lewis - go for it. He'll definitely help until Tonyan gets back.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd rather keep Big Dog than bring in Rudolph. Lewis will play 50% of the snaps, be a great blocker and also leak out for routes enough to catch offenses sleeping. May need to get by with Lewis, Deguara, Davis & draft pick/udfa.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather keep Big Dog than bring in Rudolph. Lewis will play 50% of the snaps, be a great blocker and also leak out for routes enough to catch offenses sleeping. May need to get by with Lewis, Deguara, Davis & draft pick/udfa.

I wasn’t advocating a switch, I’m a big dog fan

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Ty. I'd rather Cobb retired. I like him, he had good to great years here, but he's at the end of his career.

If Rudolph can be had for a contract similar to Lewis - go for it. He'll definitely help until Tonyan gets back.

Tonyan isn’t signed so no “coming back” unless signed

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonyan isn’t signed so no “coming back” unless signed
Yeah and I wonder what it will take to sign him. He had a great year in 2020, started a little slow in 2021 and then tore his ACL. That will most certainly reduce his market value, or maybe put him on a one year, prove it contract.

He's young and I think he'll be fine. GB should just extend him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and I wonder what it will take to sign him. He had a great year in 2020, started a little slow in 2021 and then tore his ACL. That will most certainly reduce his market value, or maybe put him on a one year, prove it contract.

He's young and I think he'll be fine. GB should just extend him.
Tonyan will turn 28 in April. I like him but not if costs more than $3 or $4 mil/year. Also, he'll only be available for back half of the season due to ACL rehab. $3mil/1 year deal to prove it? Don't think he'd go for a $7mil/2 year deal as that makes him 30 for next contract.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonyan will turn 28 in April. I like him but not if costs more than $3 or $4 mil/year. Also, he'll only be available for back half of the season due to ACL rehab. $3mil/1 year deal to prove it? Don't think he'd go for a $7mil/2 year deal as that makes him 30 for next contract.
Thanks PK. I thought he was younger than 28. Well, that will factor in. Just a fact of life that it gets harder to overcome big injuries as we age. Even so, I'd extend him for either deal. He'd probably prefer a 1-year, $3 mil prove it deal. And that might be best for all.

D

Deleted member 6794

This fits this thread better. So Wagner is definitely an aged Veteran...but this dude has played 15 or more games since 2015, he simply doesn't miss games and just last year (one extra game) he broke his best tackle number year with 170. He saw his second highest solo tackle total with 93. So the dude can still do his role...but he isn't a versatile multi-faceted ILB.

I don't know what the market will be for him honestly. Wouldn't shock me if he got a deal right away or is like Campbell last year and is still out there well past when compensatory picks are even affected...

Wagner is a six time first team All-Pro while Campbell was an average player at best before joining the Packers. I fully expect Wagner to be signed to a deal the Packers can't afford to compete with pretty fast.

I wasn’t advocating a switch, I’m a big dog fan

I don't believe the Packers will be able to pay for two veteran tight ends.

Members online

Latest posts