2022 Draft Players To Watch Discussion Thread

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's early, however with college seasons up and firing on all cylinders of course many of us are already itching to discuss draft prospects and potentials. A lot is set to change for Green Bay next off season from needing to shave $50M roughly and the looming Rodgers/Adams saga as well as guys like MVS and Tonyan hitting FA if we let them.

This thread specifically though, is for college prospects we like and feel will fit a need for Green Bay.

I predict OLB is going to be high on the board for Gute and others as there is a chance Russ and Gute attempt to cut fewer players to make up more money and both Smiths are gone...one is for sure.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll get this started with Drake Jackson - OLB/Edge from USC 6'4" 255lbs

This cat played as a DE his freshman year over 270lbs, has since slimmed down to around mid 250s.

I predict he will score very well on RAS, but again till more information comes out with measurables hard to say. I've just been impressed with how often even when not making the play he is feet away - reminds me of Barnes in that sense (of course different position). The one issue I've seen in a few games and a few pundits also bring up is tackling technique needs refined - but there is a massive amount of potential in his athletic frame; and even kicks in with good hands (both in active in lane blocking and intercepting even).

Bad news is unless it is due to trading Aaron, I see him going well before we have a pick - he is presently my #2 Edge/OLB in the draft.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aidan Hutchinson OLB/Edge from Michigan 6'5" 270lbs

I love this dude, and as a Notre Dame fan that is tough to say - let alone make him and Drake (USC) be the first two I profile. Aidan has caught my eye for a while but oh my word this dude has hit the ground running in 2021 with as many sacks through his first four games as he has had his entire career. However, sacks isn't all this cat does, plays the run very well and his strength sets a solid edge while at times disrupting with leverage from both inside and outside. His motor is something to behold if you catch a Wolverine game.

He is solidly in at my #3 OLB/EDGE list at the moment and imagine a selection that pegs an old teammate of Gary on the other side of him?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they put a little too much stock in those RAS scores. If you can't tackle what good are you? They at least need to re-evaluate their day 1 & 2 criteria for defensive players. Day 3 RAS seems to have worked out pretty well. Some guys are just darn good football players and GB does not have enough of them on the defensive side of the ball.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they put a little too much stock in those RAS scores. If you can't tackle what good are you? They at least need to re-evaluate their day 1 & 2 criteria for defensive players. Day 3 RAS seems to have worked out pretty well. Some guys are just darn good football players and GB does not have enough of them on the defensive side of the ball.

Trust me it isn't that he can't, it is rare in games but is IMO purely technique in pursuit tackles refinement may be needed. I've yet to watch an entire game of his this year, but have watched highlights and have not seen it rear it's head this season yet.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Pittman was in 2020 and Bateman was in 2021 - Chris Olave is my 2022 favorite all around WR. Dude is just a stud and honestly had he come out last year I wouldn't have argued picking him with our first rounder. I believe he is that good and has the serious potential to become a bonafide #1 during his 3rd season if not sooner IMO.

Chris Olave out of Ohio State 6'1" 189lbs

Mark it down, he is going to be good.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers currently have several pretty good players on the defensive side of the ball as well. Barry needs to come up with a scheme to hide their weaknesses, especially on the defensive line.

Unfortunately they might have to move on from some of them next offseason to get under the cap though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
How many compensatory picks do we have foe 22 draft and where are they projected to be?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's early, however with college seasons up and firing on all cylinders of course many of us are already itching to discuss draft prospects and potentials. A lot is set to change for Green Bay next off season from needing to shave $50M roughly and the looming Rodgers/Adams saga as well as guys like MVS and Tonyan hitting FA if we let them.

This thread specifically though, is for college prospects we like and feel will fit a need for Green Bay.

I predict OLB is going to be high on the board for Gute and others as there is a chance Russ and Gute attempt to cut fewer players to make up more money and both Smiths are gone...one is for sure.
How bout Defensive line? That is the most glaring weakness of the last 10 years.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Inside Linebacker was? Would you guys make up my mind please.
P.S. - I almost forgot about reading how weak the wide receivers have been for Rodgers.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Inside Linebacker was? Would you guys make up my mind please.
P.S. - I almost forgot about reading how weak the wide receivers have been for Rodgers.

While ILB has been a spot I’d hoped for a more game changer type, I’ve always said I’d lean DL or DB if similar ranked guys are there when I pick.

Just improve the roster baby

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I won't do a full breakdown but as always I want us to add a iDL at some point before the 5th round - without forcing a pick of course. My list, VERY early include:

DeMarvin Leal *may very well be best now despite me not listing in a specific ranking
Jordan Davis
Perrion Winfrey
Haskell Garrett
Jared Harrison-Hunte
Zacch Pickens (may not come out)
Travis Jones

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zach Harrison EDGE guy out of Ohio State - 6'6' 268lbs

I love the diversity and athleticism Zach displays - takes a lot for a Buckeye hater to say two of my favorite prospects are from Ohio State (Olave other). But Zach I feel is going to light the combine up with his speed measurements and explosiveness - the question will be how he has come along with aspects which the cone drill will display (change of direction). His length and closing speed however are special.

****Edited after posting - Harrison decided to return to college another year. 2023 he will be right back on my list 100%

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two guys I posted on another thread I'll add here as this thread is appropriate:

Pierre Strong - South Dakota - Running Back is a guy I absolutely LOVE. I doubt he takes more than a late Day 2, most likely will be in the big group of Day 3 guys. Just an incredibly excellent runner that can do it all - and illustrates a high football IQ in some of the routes, blocking and non-pure running skills he will need at the next level. 5'10' 210lbs has the size to not be breakable, but be that homerun threat. He ran long time ago a 4.42 and I suspect could slip into the 4.3s. This joker folks already in 2021 has 770 yards on 94 rushes for an 8.2 YPC rate. 9 rushing TDs as well. Only six games in he is also throwing in a reception each time.

Brant Kuithe - Utah - Tight End the modern day receiving TE that could be a pick if we watch Tonyan leave. He's 6'2' and 230lbs but I see a frame capable of filling out solidly another 10 or 15 depending on role the team wants him to do. I normally am not a big "modern receiving TE" type guy, but the thing I love about Kuithe is the high degree of willingness to block, but he seems to understand and know positioning is going to win or succeed in his blocking assignments rather than strength (not a strength of his...pun intended). He'll probably run somewhere in the low 4.5s or high 4.4s I'd suspect given his track running past - starred in high school in the 100m and 200m plus the long and triple jump. A high RAS score candidate I sense. He is easily on pace for his best season yet, which will beat his sophomore campaign of 34 Recs, 602 yards and 6 TDs. He is already at 23 recs, 228 yards and 3 TDs six games into the 2021 campaign - including a 2 TD game against ranked opponent Arizona State.

***EDITED AFTER POSTING - Brant has chosen to return for another and final year at Utah - he will push to be a Day 2 TE as he was likely a Day 3 guy if he'd stayed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aidan Hutchinson OLB/Edge from Michigan 6'5" 270lbs

I love this dude, and as a Notre Dame fan that is tough to say - let alone make him and Drake (USC) be the first two I profile. Aidan has caught my eye for a while but oh my word this dude has hit the ground running in 2021 with as many sacks through his first four games as he has had his entire career. However, sacks isn't all this cat does, plays the run very well and his strength sets a solid edge while at times disrupting with leverage from both inside and outside. His motor is something to behold if you catch a Wolverine game.

He is solidly in at my #3 OLB/EDGE list at the moment and imagine a selection that pegs an old teammate of Gary on the other side of him?

I'm officially deeming Aidan impossible for us to get. This kid should easily go top 10 IMO. Which unless we trade Aaron, we will not sniff close to. If you have time watch some Michigan games, some of his plays have been downright incredible.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like to profile out a guy I'm becoming a fan of out of the FCS.

A buddy of mine has a son that is playing Safety I believe it is at Montana State - which has prompted the discovery of perhaps my FCS favorite to keep an eye on come late Day 2 (probably NOT that high though) and Day 3 running backs named Isaiah Ifanse.

Ifanse is blessed with excellent feet, stronger than his frame would indicate (fighting through tackles in the Idaho State game was impressive) and cut back ability which would for sure translate to next level once speed difference is experienced and taken on.

Being a Junior, chance he isn't up for discussion this year. But if I were him and I cannot transfer to a D1 to play out college I'm entering draft this year personally.

2021 so far as I type this (11/12/2021) this young man already has broke is rushing totals from his freshman year and sits at 1,124 total rushing yards on 182 attempts, averaging 6.2 a carry and 8 TDs. He has capable hands too throwing in 10 receptions this year alone and 23 for his three years there.

2019 he rushed for 813 yards on only 126 attempts - 6 TDs
2018 he rushed for 1,057 yards on 197 attempts as a rookie - 7 TDs

With Aaron Jones days possibly numbered (although I think we have him one more year), constantly trying to find that next man up in the depth chart at RB is a Day 3/UDFA endeavor we will no doubt be doing.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Aaron Jones days possibly numbered (although I think we have him one more year), constantly trying to find that next man up in the depth chart at RB is a Day 3/UDFA endeavor we will no doubt be doing.

I'm not opposed to the Packers selecting a running back on day three of next year's draft it's all but guaranteed Jones is with the team in 2022.

The team would actually take an additional cap hit of $750K by moving on from him next offseason.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are moving on from Rodgers I really like Kenny Pickett from Pitt at QB. I get we have Love but if it was my choice I would get my guy. I hated Love as a prospect. I thought he had a good arm and mobility but awful accuracy and when put under any type of pressure he would just chuck the ball up. I compared him to Jay Cutler with a weaker arm.

Pickett doesnt have elite arm strength but he has elite level accuracy, solid mobility, and hes a straight up winner. For a QB from Pitt he should be getting smacked around but hes carried that team this year. Really experienced starter too.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won’t be studying any QBs as I don’t see it as a position of real possibility early at least. Will probably study mid to late round prospects tho

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won’t be studying any QBs as I don’t see it as a position of real possibility early at least. Will probably study mid to late round prospects tho

When we moved on from Brett we took Brian Brohm in the 2nd round and Rodgers showed way more in terms of talent than Love. I fully expect Gutenkunst to take a QB somewhere in the top half of the draft to at least protect himself. One more swing at the plate. If Love busts Gutenkunst needs to be fired unless he found another QB to save his job.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair there is nothing short of winning a SB his first that Love can do for many that will hang him as a failure regardless

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair there is nothing short of winning a SB his first that Love can do for many that will hang him as a failure regardless

To me Love needs to be fringe pro bowl caliber year 1 as a starter to not be considered a failure. He doesn’t need to be a pro bowler but I need 3500 yards 63% comp, and a 2-1 TD-INT%.

That was a stupid pick. No one can convince me the Love pick wasn’t an awful decision. And I don’t buy the BS that the Packers tried trading for Jefferson. I fully believe they walked into that draft knowing they’d take Love.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As it crystalizes more and more that we are yet again facing the bottom four picks of the rounds....here is a Defensive Lineman that stands an outside shot of being there for the taking that I argue could not be ignore if there. I don't care if Aaron is still in the plans for 2022 or he isn't...this man and Kenny teamed up is just NOT fair really.

Enter Jordan Davis from Clemson. 6'6' 340lbs

This behemoth of a man is not imposing strictly due to his size, but what he can accomplish and do with that size. HIs lateral mobility is eye catching because it is much better than you typically see out of a guy his size, perhaps is a beckon back to his days on the hardcourts as a forward in highschool. His is rarely able to be pushed and can hold point of attack to read and shed better than anyone else in the class arguably. I see a two down defensive lineman in GB, as Kenny is much better against the pass than a young Davis would be, but I see an instantaneous upgrade and #2 behind Kenny...allowing him some breather moments and continue to allow Keke to focus on passing situations.

This is one guy circled on my charts already, if there with our first pick - I may have someone else personally I'd grab on my list available, but if his name is called you will not hear me complain about the pick for even a second.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts