2022 Draft Players To Watch Discussion Thread

Reaction score
History proves teams (2020 Packers) are ultra willing to spend what’s necessary at the most valuable position. Willis, Corral, Pickett, Strong, Ridder, Howell are all projection top 45 types.

Its unusual that only 2-3 will likely be selected top-20. Theres a hot zone for the second tier QB #4-6 wave.
Trade back and then trade up?

I’d strongly consider that in an area as some teams have too early a selection for a QB (Lions #2 overall) and some are waiting until early Round 2 and willing to get a good prospect.

I know we need a WR early. Yet having potentially 5 selections inside #59 with 1 First rounder and another top 40 is very appealing

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
History proves teams (2020 Packers) are ultra willing to spend what’s necessary at the most valuable position. Willis, Corral, Pickett, Strong, Ridder, Howell are all projection top 45 types.

Its unusual that only 2-3 will likely be selected top-20. Yet we own 2 selections that are prime for QB taking in that hot zone for the second tier QB #4-6 wave.
Trade back and then trade up?
Packers need to hope that one of their top WR targets is there at 22 and then take their chances at 28, that a player they like is there. If there isn't one, then trade back into the second round.

I think the Packers will get 1 crack at a decent WR and that is at 22. They may even try to move up to #10-13 to make sure they get that player, by trading one of their second round picks.

Unless Gute signs a WR before the draft, he will be going into it needing to really strike gold at the position. Seems every other day another FA WR is signed.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need to hope that one of their top WR targets is there at 22 and then take their chances at 28, that a player they like is there. If there isn't one, then trade back into the second round.

I think the Packers will get 1 crack at a decent WR and that is at 22. They may even try to move up to #10-13 to make sure they get that player, by trading one of their second round picks.

Unless Gute signs a WR before the draft, he will be going into it needing to really strike gold at the position. Seems every other day another FA WR is signed.

I'm vehemently opposed to moving up in the first at the cost of anything besides the use of Day 3s. The value just isn't there IMO for a position that isn't QB, unless it is a trade back and up type thing which netted us the future 1st (savage)

Reaction score
I'm vehemently opposed to moving up in the first at the cost of anything besides the use of Day 3s. The value just isn't there IMO for a position that isn't QB, unless it is a trade back and up type thing which netted us the future 1st (savage)
Yes. No reaching.
Matter of fact just the opposite.
I’d stick our #22 and then move back and forth around to get something like.
#22 Treylon Burks
#40 Bernhard Raimann (trade back with Seattle so they can get a late Day 1 QB)
#51 Arnold Ebiketie (packaging 92+72 (Seattle))
#53 Sky Moore
#59 Andrew Booth Jr.

Supply your guys. But that’s an idea of our firepower in Round 2 if were open to allowing a QB needy team to move up.

That Ebiketie “AK” pairs perfectly with a guy like Clark. He feasted off the attention drawn by #91 there at Penn. Hes like a cannon shooting into the backfield once he sees you try to double his teammates.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
See if there were only 3 WR's that the Packers felt were first round worthy, as well as first year starter, I'd be pissed if they didn't. Too many teams ahead of them need WR's and with the recent contracts that FA WR's got....that is now a premium position to get a solid cheap rookie.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are so many good WR's this year that taking one at 22 isn't necessary - unless it's Williams.

I'd also consider Pickens and Pierce there... just depends on how the Packets have em ranked.

If they pass on WR at 22, there'll be some good ones available at 28.

JPPT1974

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well need to get a WR there. After Adams is now with Raiders. Need to get a go to WR indeed there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There are so many good WR's this year that taking one at 22 isn't necessary - unless it's Williams.

I'd also consider Pickens and Pierce there... just depends on how the Packets have em ranked.

If they pass on WR at 22, there'll be some good ones available at 28.
Shows the difference in how each player is perceived. Personally, I haven't seen Pickens or Pierce mocked to be selected in the first round, so I would be very disappointed if the Packers selected either of them at 22.

Again, I am no Pro Scout, but if the Packers have only a small number of WR's on their board, that they think are NFL ready, as well as future #1 WR's, I would hope they have themselves in a position to draft one of them. This can't be a repeat of 2020, when everyone was calling it the best WR draft class possibly of all time and Gute came out of it with ZERO WR's.

On the flip side. If the Packers have 9 WR's that they feel are all guys they would love to have, then the only question for me is if they want to double up and take two. Or take another position at 22 and if there are still 5 or so WR's left at 28, then try to trade out of round 1, with a team selecting at the top of Round 2 and get that WR there.

All that said, I would be shocked, if the Packers leave Round 1 without a WR.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shows the difference in how each player is perceived. Personally, I haven't seen Pickens or Pierce mocked to be selected in the first round, so I would be very disappointed if the Packers selected either of them at 22.

Again, I am no Pro Scout, but if the Packers have only a small number of WR's on their board, that they think are NFL ready, as well as future #1 WR's, I would hope they have themselves in a position to draft one of them. This can't be a repeat of 2020, when everyone was calling it the best WR draft class possibly of all time and Gute came out of it with ZERO WR's.

On the flip side. If the Packers have 9 WR's that they feel are all guys they would love to have, then the only question for me is if they want to double up and take two. Or take another position at 22 and if there are still 5 or so WR's left at 28, then try to trade out of round 1, with a team selecting at the top of Round 2 and get that WR there.

All that said, I would be shocked, if the Packers leave Round 1 without a WR.
Nelson and Jenkins were both 2nd round picks. Jones was a 3rd.

Pierce is better than London for sure; and I like him 2nd only behind Williams.

Pickens has the knee, so his pick depends on the medical. He ran well at the combine though.

I think Wyatt will be gone by 22, so if that's the case, I'd rather go...

22. Pierce
28. Mofe, or one the the OT's
53. Tolbert or Melton
59. Winfrey or OT

Best case scenario is Wyatt is available at 22. I think that's a longshot though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been watching some you tube highlights and a guy that sticks out to me is Tyquan Thorton from Baylor. I love the way he catches the ball with his hands and he has speed. I guess he didn't get a lot of chances before his final year but he looks really good.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't got a clue as to what they're going to do to be honest. I think the way the board falls to them will be the deciding factor as to how they go. I don't think they'll reach for a WR unless he's worth the pick. Having 4 picks in the first two rounds makes for some interesting trade prospects. Maybe even a player on a roster today, and a pick, for one of our firsts? Who knows.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man...sat down and dived deeper into Matthew Butler iDL from Tennessee. He's a guy I always liked, but I came away with a much better appreciation of just the player type he is and I think there is some untaped ceiling there for sure DESPITE him stacking better years time and time again while there at Tennessee.

Few negatives...he isn't the youngest prospect...but also not the oldest. He will be 23 by the time the season starts...not something I'd recommend spending early draft capital on personally unless someone is other worldy (which he isn't that). He also doesn't quite meet the threshold of 8.00 on RAS but is right near at 7.30.

The interesting thing about his RAS is the testing illustrates a near ELITE level athlete or a sub-par...there is no in between ground on him. Examples:
His vertical of 32 inches...only one other DT did higher....and his RAS score is near 9 for this
His broad of 9'4"...again only one other DT did higher...and his RAS for this again near 9
His forty time of 5.00 is special for a guy his size...only five other DT prospects ran faster.

The burst is there...however his agility items RAS wise are not good...however when you compare them to normal DTs and especially his draft class fellow members they are surprisingly good:
4.81 was his short shuttle...only 5 did better and only three did better than 4.60.

The cone drill is hard to judge as only 5 combine contestants did the drill but for reference only Booker and Jones put up sub 7.35 numbers which is pretty impressive for big guys....Butler was at 7.89

Butler however shows up on the field no matter how you measure him in shorts or on tape.

In his Junior year when he finally broke in as a starter he started producing out the gate with 45 tackles, 3 TFLs and tossed in 2.5 sacks. Even 2 pass break ups.
2020 his senior year even though two less games he put up 43 Tackles, 3 TFLs and again contributed 2 sacks and one PD but also a FF.
Electing to come back to build upon and elevate his stock no doubt - he put forth a 2021 campaign with bests in everything save PDs...47 tackles, 8.5 TFLs, 5 sacks and again a FF.

I love Butler in a similar support pressure role as Keke was becoming for us. He plays the rush well because of his motor, but he isn't a strong truck that parks himself in lanes and controls traffic, he breaks through traffic with his pad level and burst to redirect or consume rushers before they can reroute.

Chalk me up as a guy that is comfortable with even picking him in the end of 3rd into the 4th on this guy....as there are few DLs I like more than him (Wyatt, Davis, Leal, Jones and Perrion)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Dantés have we touched on Butler at all in our discussions? I cannot remember. I always like your takes on the big boys in the trenches (both sides).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think we have.

In my opinion, he's a rotational jack-of-all-trades. I wouldn't count on him becoming a focal point of a defensive line, but I think he could give you some quality snaps and do it in multiple spots. His testing was excellent apart from agilities (I don't care about bench press).

My chief concern is that he will get overdrafted because of how weak this iDL class is.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have.

In my opinion, he's a rotational jack-of-all-trades. I wouldn't count on him becoming a focal point of a defensive line, but I think he could give you some quality snaps and do it in multiple spots. His testing was excellent apart from agilities (I don't care about bench press).

My chief concern is that he will get overdrafted because of how weak this iDL class is.

I throw him in same boat as Zachary Carter...but Carter potentially has a touch more juice. I agree, I could see either of them going before pick 80 merely if there is a DL run in the 2nd/3rd range and the shelves get sparse rather quickly with limited number of guys with known or high floors.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts