2022 Draft #34 Christian Watson

Reaction score
It’s Tony the Tiger GREAT! That also confirms with us what we already expected.
By Rodgers having a partial say in this decision, #12 is inextricably linked to the success of Watson. That’s going to propel their relationship more than a typical past draft selection imo. It’s probably a bigger factor than showing up early or the OTA arguments. All of that is futile without Rodgers buy in.

Instead of slamming Scotch.. Rodgers is proactively laying the groundwork for building that relationship. If that’s not a confidence boost for a young man coming into the league, I don’t know what is. I commend Rodgers for doing that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know that phone call the Watson’s took from Aaron was super appreciated and I have a sneaking suspicion that Christian was Aarons top choice. Which now kinda makes sense why Aaron publicly defended taking 2 Defenders on Day 1, some expected he’d be discontent.

It’s just a hunch, yet I believe Rodgers was part of the planning to get Watson a few picks later and he was directly involved in that decision. He already had Christian’s phone number before Christian knew he was moving to Green Bay, hence him making that immediate call to welcome him and his calm demeanor after Day1 draft when answering questions on Pat McAfee

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately, I think you are correct in that the Packers may have put themselves into a position that might require a rookie WR to have a significant impact. However, as I said, I don't expect it, nor should they rely on it. Which is why I think they should still upgrade their receiving room in some fashion, be it a vet TE or WR.

I agree the Packers shouldn't rely on a rookie receiver having a significant impact. Therefore it would be smart to add another veteran pass catcher to the roster.

I don't see it as a rookie having to put forth a significant impact season...

I don't believe the passing game would be successful without a rookie having a significant impact if the Packers don't add another veteran.

And Rodgers will have to spread the ball around which is another great positive since it will make it harder for opposing D#ns to deal with.

It's unrealistic to expect the offense to be improved with Rodgers spreading the ball around more just for the sake of it. He needs to have talented receivers to make it work. Unfortunately I'm not convinced the Packers have enough of it currently on the roster.

However, I do think Aaron is even more freaking amazing when he is tasked with the challenge others don't think he can produce (record without Adams showcases this).

While the Packers record without Adams is amazing over the past three years they will have a hard time replicating the offensive production they had without him over an entire season.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe the passing game would be successful without a rookie having a significant impact if the Packers don't add another veteran.

While the Packers record without Adams is amazing over the past three years they will have a hard time replicating the offensive production they had without him over an entire season.

The first part you stopped quoting me and misrepresented my thoughts as I went on to say... however I will say I feel we will need one of the "non-expectant" WRs from Watson, Doubs and Amari to have "impact games" for us I believe. That may not mean 100 yards or so many catches but those impact plays will need to be provided by someone not named Jones/Dillon/Cobb/Lazard at times...which they are our four horseman if you will, Tonyan could become a fifth but no one knows yet.

The second part I honestly don't care if Rodgers doesn't throw for 2,500 yards - if we W at the same rate we have without him before I'll take it. Highly unlikely, so I'll take 75% of what we've done before and I'll take it. Get us in the playoffs with the baddest QB in the league, young guns that will be hitting more of their strides by season end and we will have as good a shot as anyone.

Reaction score
I just think 1 of these Rookie WR will get some significant targets. More than a typical Rookie. Now, common sense speaks to that WR being Christian W. I mean in a N.D. college system limited on the passing front, the guy made the best of what he was given.
Had Watson been in a pass heavy system? I think he would’ve been selected before GB’s #22 overall.
I can justifiably argue that Watson is capable of teaming with Rodgers to get in that #2 type WR production early in.
Paired with Lazard, Watkins and Cobb I don’t think we have much to worry about. H

Reaction score
Had Watson been in a pass heavy system? I think he would’ve been selected before GB’s #22 overall.
I can justifiably argue that Watson is capable of teaming with Rodgers to get in that #2 type WR production early in.
Paired with Lazard, Watkins and Cobb I don’t think we have much to worry about. I see his NFL conversion in that 750+ area IF he stays healthy and gets even a moderate grip on the playbook.

Initial reports of Aaron Rodgers reaching out to Christian immediately after he was selected is very promising. For me, that speaks volumes and my concern was always more about gaining Rodgers trust. My opinion is Rodgers was directly responsible for the Watson selection. I was surprised that no reporter has asked him about that, it seems like the question of the day. My opinion is the parties kept this arrangement privy.
I believe Rodgers n Gute agreed to jointly partake in this and quite frankly, I’ve changed my position a bit. I think Rodgers agreed to take a WR under his wing, but was allowed to have some reasonably say in the choice of that particular player.
I think folks are going to be surprised at how quickly he gets this kid up to NFL speed. Maybe even shocked.

The Packers FO was in a compromising position at WR when #17 bailed. I’m elated that they got Rodgers involved in talks about this draft. I’m not saying Rodgers needs to control the Personnel decisions, but he should have an awareness of player strategy in his Offense as if it’s part of the game plan. After all, this is Aaron Rodgers Offense let’s not kid around. Every Rookie (including Defense) has a profound respect for what he has accomplished. You could see that the second they set foot in that locker room. Just ask Enagbare, the guy can’t stop smiling !

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The first part you stopped quoting me and misrepresented my thoughts as I went on to say... however I will say I feel we will need one of the "non-expectant" WRs from Watson, Doubs and Amari to have "impact games" for us I believe. That may not mean 100 yards or so many catches but those impact plays will need to be provided by someone not named Jones/Dillon/Cobb/Lazard at times...which they are our four horseman if you will, Tonyan could become a fifth but no one knows yet.

I didn't misrepresent your thoughts at all.

While you believe it will be good enough if one of the rookies has an impact every other game I fully believe the Packers will need one to put up solid numbers all season long.

That's just a different way of thinking.

The second part I honestly don't care if Rodgers doesn't throw for 2,500 yards - if we W at the same rate we have without him before I'll take it. Highly unlikely, so I'll take 75% of what we've done before and I'll take it. Get us in the playoffs with the baddest QB in the league, young guns that will be hitting more of their strides by season end and we will have as good a shot as anyone.

I don't care about how the Packers get it done to win enoigh games to make the playoffs either. The offense will have to perform at a high level to make it work though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't misrepresent your thoughts at all.

While you believe it will be good enough if one of the rookies has an impact every other game I fully believe the Packers will need one to put up solid numbers all season long.

That's just a different way of thinking.

I don't care about how the Packers get it done to win enoigh games to make the playoffs either. The offense will have to perform at a high level to make it work though.

What's a solid season in your mind? To me a solid rookie WR campaign is grossing 65% catch percentage, 700 yards and give or take 5-7 TDs...to me that is solid for Watson because of expectations.

For Doubs I think a solid season would be around like 350 yards, same catch percentage, and maybe a couple TDs.

Together I hope to see our rookies contribute at least 1,000 yards and over half dozen TDs as kinda the bottom shelf of what I think they need to contribute to have a successful offensive season.

D

Deleted member 6794

What's a solid season in your mind? To me a solid rookie WR campaign is grossing 65% catch percentage, 700 yards and give or take 5-7 TDs...to me that is solid for Watson because of expectations.

For Doubs I think a solid season would be around like 350 yards, same catch percentage, and maybe a couple TDs.

The Packers possibly will need a rookie receiver to be their leading WR this season. If that ends up being true that guy better at least gets close to having a 1,000 yard season.

Reaction score
The Packers possibly will need a rookie receiver to be their leading WR this season. If that ends up being true that guy better at least gets close to having a 1,000 yard season.
See I disagree. While I’d love to see someone like Watson surpass 1,000 yards, as long as Rodgers sniffs 4,000 yards area it can be any combination of players or even position groups and it’s still a successful campaign. Especially with all the scrutiny and the bar set so low to begin with.

As an example. If Rodgers exceeds his 2021 mark and passes for 4,400 yards. Does it really matter if it was 8 players over 550 yards or
7 players with 500 yards and 1 guy with 950 yards?

In my opinion, I’d almost rather the first scenario, because it keeps Opponent Defenses guessing.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See I disagree. While I’d love to see someone like Watson surpass 1,000 yards, as long as Rodgers sniffs 4,000 yards area it can be any combination of players or even position groups and it’s still a successful campaign. Especially with all the scrutiny and the bar set so low to begin with.

As an example. If Rodgers exceeds his 2021 mark and passes for 4,400 yards. Does it really matter if it was 8 players over 550 yards or

In my opinion, I’d almost rather the first scenario, because it keeps Opponent Defenses guessing.
I get what you are saying and in a perfect world that may be true but IMO no one is that balanced. I wouldn't care either except that if no one steps up then everyone has to step up if you know what I mean. If no one hits that 950 yard mark then everyone has to get 550 yards and I see that as a far less likely scenario.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not too mention if it is a ton of folks Tonyan is more affordable to sign a three or four year deal…Jones may be willing to rework deal to stay with a GOAT rather than walk away…and Lazard might be affordable to keep.

Reaction score
I get what you are saying and in a perfect world that may be true but IMO no one is that balanced. I wouldn't care either except that if no one steps up then everyone has to step up if you know what I mean. If no one hits that 950 yard mark then everyone has to get 550 yards and I see that as a far less likely scenario.
Illustration only, not literally.
Ok
925 yards WR1/2(Watson +Watkins)
635 yards WR3 (Lazard)
465 yards WR4 (Cobb)
245 yards WR5 (Doubs)
110 yards WR6 (Pick one)
455 yards RB1 (AJ)
355 yards RB2 (Dillon)
135 yards RB3-4 (Taylor/Hill)
595 yards TE1 (Tonyan)
275 yards TE2 (Deguara)
105 yards TE3-4(Marcades,Taylor etc)

That’s more yardage than 2021, so scale back another 150 yards where you feel appropriate. Point being here, where’s the 1,250 yards guy? There is none.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok
635 yards WR3 (Lazard)
465 yards WR4 (Cobb)
245 yards WR5 (Doubs)
110 yards WR6 (Pick one)
455 yards RB1 (AJ)
355 yards RB2 (Dillon)
595 yards TE1 (Tonyan)
275 yards TE2 (Deguara)

That’s more yardage than 2021, so scale back another 150 yards where you feel appropriate. Point being here, where’s the 1,250 yards guy? There is none.
If I'm reading this correctly that's 12 guys over 100 yards, 9 over 245. I can see where you can make it work by adjusting the numbers for each player but I just don't see it being that evenly distributed.

Again, I wouldn't care if it shakes out this way if the Packers win but I think someone is going to have to step up at the high end because I don't think enough will at the bottom end.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok
635 yards WR3 (Lazard)
465 yards WR4 (Cobb)
245 yards WR5 (Doubs)
110 yards WR6 (Pick one)
455 yards RB1 (AJ)
355 yards RB2 (Dillon)
595 yards TE1 (Tonyan)
275 yards TE2 (Deguara)

IMO. There is no way Sammy is the #1 or even the #2 receiver this year. IMO.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If I'm reading this correctly that's 12 guys over 100 yards, 9 over 245. I can see where you can make it work by adjusting the numbers for each player but I just don't see it being that evenly distributed.

Again, I wouldn't care if it shakes out this way if the Packers win but I think someone is going to have to step up at the high end because I don't think enough will at the bottom end.
Last season Tennessee did not have a 1k yard receiver and had 11 guys over 100 yards. 2 more were just short of 100. Tannehill was a 3700 yard passer. IIRC they run a similar offense.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO. There is no way Sammy is the #1 or even the #2 receiver this year. IMO.
Watkins needs to be a vet leader receiving 5+ targets/game early in the season. History says he'll be injured (hammy, quad or groin) by week 6 or 7 when hopefully Watson &/or Doubs are ready to command more targets. Give Watkins 4-6 weeks off to get right & he'll be back & ready for the playoff run.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is that really your IMO?
I’m not sure what your opinion is and one should definitely have an opinion, but in my opinion, it is his opinion. For the record, I disagree with all these opinions, except my own opinion on this matter. I digress, I no longer believe my own opinion at this point. But then again.. I’m very opinionated.

That said. Sammy Watkins career low is rounded to 400 yards and his high about 1,000 yards. It’s extremely unlikely he’d be much over 1,000 or much below 400.
Sammy turns 29 in camp and his over-under is probably 600 yards range. His first year in system is offset by who’s tossing the ball and his age and his career curve trend downward is offset by the fact there is no clear cut, bonafide top target. Not to mention, he’s competing against a field of lesser prominence WR’s overall.

If the combination of Watson and Watkins can’t flirt with 925 yards combined, I’ll be very disappointed. That’s actually a conservative number..

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ok
635 yards WR3 (Lazard)
465 yards WR4 (Cobb)
245 yards WR5 (Doubs)
110 yards WR6 (Pick one)
455 yards RB1 (AJ)
355 yards RB2 (Dillon)
595 yards TE1 (Tonyan)
275 yards TE2 (Deguara)

Where's Julio or OBJ on that list? ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

I would prefer Rodgers to get to 4,400 yards with several receivers put up decent numbers as well. But I'm not convinced the Packers have enough quality depth to make it work that way.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last season Tennessee did not have a 1k yard receiver and had 11 guys over 100 yards. 2 more were just short of 100. Tannehill was a 3700 yard passer. IIRC they run a similar offense.

I would prefer Rodgers to get to 4,400 yards with several receivers put up decent numbers as well. But I'm not convinced the Packers have enough quality depth to make it work that way.

I've said several times its possible and I don't care if that's how it works out I just don't think its likely. My preference is that in addition to moving closer to a more balanced run pass offense we get Dillon and Jones even more involved in the passing game but I just don't see it happening. Its not simply a matter of having 11 guys to throw the ball to, like Captain says they need to have the talent as well. On the other hand we don't have the top end talent either so maybe they will spread it around.

I’m not sure what your opinion is and one should definitely have an opinion, but in my opinion, it is his opinion. For the record, I disagree with all these opinions, except my own opinion on this matter. I digress, I no longer believe my own opinion at this point. But then again.. I’m very opinionated.

That said. Sammy Watkins career low is rounded to 400 yards and his high about 1,000 yards. It’s extremely unlikely he’d be much over 1,000 or much below 400.
Sammy turns 29 in camp and his over-under is probably 600 yards range. His first year in system is offset by who’s tossing the ball and his age and his career curve trend downward is offset by the fact there is no clear cut, bonafide top target. Not to mention, he’s competing against a field of lesser prominence WR’s overall.

If the combination of Watson and Watkins can’t flirt with 925 yards combined, I’ll be very disappointed. That’s actually a conservative number..

I would agree. If your top 2 guys(and that's pretty much how I see it shaking out) can't get 600 yards each I'd be disappointed too. I know it was just an example and Lazard could be one of those guys and either one of them could slip to #3. My guess is Sammy is closer to 1000 than 400.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts