2022 Brewers Still have it, but is it enough?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Brewers are 6-1 since the All Star break and their strong pitching continues, as their bats seem to ride a roller coaster every game. I like their chances of winning the NL Central, but can they get over the hump and beat some of the better division winners? I think if they can get Freddy Peralta and Adrian Houser back, they stand a real good chance at potentially seeing the NLCC Series. Trade deadline is Tuesday, will they try to pick up another starting pitcher, maybe a another outfielder with a strong bat? Going to be a fun August and Sept. for the Brewers!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wow...I had read the rumors about Josh Hader potentially being traded, but didn't think it would happen this season. Hope this one doesn't blow up in the Brewers face.

The Padres gave up quite a bit; closer Taylor Rogers, pitching prospect Robert Gasser, outfielder Esteury Ruiz and reliever Dinelson Lamet in exchange for the best reliever in baseball. I guess in the long run the Brewers got a lot more for a guy that they only had control of for 1 more season. Might sting now, but it could really pan out, especially if Devin Williams continues to be a solid closer.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow...I had read the rumors about Josh Hader potentially being traded, but didn't think it would happen this season. Hope this one doesn't blow up in the Brewers face.

The Padres gave up quite a bit; closer Taylor Rogers, pitching prospect Robert Gasser, outfielder Esteury Ruiz and reliever Dinelson Lamet in exchange for the best reliever in baseball. I guess in the long run the Brewers got a lot more for a guy that they only had control of for 1 more season. Might sting now, but it could really pan out, especially if Devin Williams continues to be a solid closer.
Those are good points. Considering what they got and what they still have for short relief, Stearns did very well. Hader was gonna be gone next year anyway.

I'm a little disappointed they didn't make any trades to improve hitting. Great pitching beats great hitting most of the time, and the Brewers have a great pitching staff. In facts and this is just my opinion, they have enough pitching to trade some of it for hitting.

Right now the season is mimicking last season. It's great to win the Central, but sucks to lose early in the playoffs. I don't see that they've done anything this year to change that. Now their pitching is better overall, and maybe that carries them farther. I hope so.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hader was gonna be gone next year anyway.
Hader was under contract with the Brewers for 1 more season after this one, but his salary most likely would have increased from $11M to $16M in arbitration. Still a cheap price for a great closer. I think Hader's recent slump might have brought his trade value down a bit, but also might have been the catalyst for the Brewers to trade him a year early. Basically, get something decent while they still could. I like the closer they got in the deal from the Padres, Taylor Rodgers, but his contract is up at the end of this season, so the Brewers will probably be left with the other 3 players from the trade.

A very quiet, but a potentially impactful trade made by the Brewers was for Giants reliever Trevor Rosenthal. Rosenthal has been injured since 2020, but was a pretty decent pitcher before injuries derailed his career. Brewers hope he is ready by the end of August and may be of great value in the stretch run and playoffs.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hader was under contract with the Brewers for 1 more season after this one, but his salary most likely would have increased from $11M to $16M in arbitration. Still a cheap price for a great closer. I think Hader's recent slump might have brought his trade value down a bit, but also might have been the catalyst for the Brewers to trade him a year early. Basically, get something decent while they still could. I like the closer they got in the deal from the Padres, Taylor Rodgers, but his contract is up at the end of this season, so the Brewers will probably be left with the other 3 players from the trade.

A very quiet, but a potentially impactful trade made by the Brewers was for Giants reliever Trevor Rosenthal. Rosenthal has been injured since 2020, but was a pretty decent pitcher before injuries derailed his career. Brewers hope he is ready by the end of August and may be of great value in the stretch run and playoffs.
Thanks Poker. I'm more optimistic after reading your comments. Hader also insisted on only pitching one inning, so who knows, maybe he knew he was fading. Although his body of work is impressive.

The Brewers have another reliever, can't recall his name - Devin Williams??????? I don't know but he hasn't given up an earned run since early May from what I read.

I'd like to see them get to the WS of course, but would settle for the NLCC. The Brewers are about two hitters away from being among the best in baseball. If they don''t get em this year this year, pitching will have to carry them, which is fine with me.

Hey we have three pro teams all capable of winning championships. Not many sports fans can say that.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nein...the vikqueens of mlb...tough ownership issues - tough sledding...they have had their chances many times and the bucks beat them to it sadly.

Members online

Latest posts