2021 Intriguing Draft Prospects

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but Bush (27.0% of the snaps played) and Simmons (33.9%) didn't play enough to be considered a huge factor in the success of their respective defense.

The Ravens defense was successful despite Queen playing not because of it.

I'm not opposed to the Packers spending an early rounder on the position if the right situation presents itself but there are more important positions to be addressed in my opinion.

I’m sorry but snap count can be misconstrued. We can all agree that Rashan Gary is pretty talented but his snaps were limited due to rotation. Some of his lower snap counts in games last season were 30%, 26%, 43%, 41%, 28%, and 40%. I don’t think any of us would say that he was a non factor to our D in any of them because of his limited snaps unless you watched each game and came to that conclusion yourself.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m sorry but snap count can be misconstrued. We can all agree that Rashan Gary is pretty talented but his snaps were limited due to rotation. Some of his lower snap counts in games last season were 30%, 26%, 43%, 41%, 28%, and 40%. I don’t think any of us would say that he was a non factor to our D in any of them because of his limited snaps unless you watched each game and came to that conclusion yourself.

However, Gary was not drafted to come directly into the league as a starter, Simmons and Bush quite different IMO. Both those teams expected more.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, Gary was not drafted to come directly into the league as a starter, Simmons and Bush quite different IMO. Both those teams expected more.

Yea, but that’s going into something completely different. Bush got hurt and his impact on the run D was definitely felt. Simmons impact on those games all though not shown in the box score could have been pretty impactful.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, but that’s going into something completely different. Bush got hurt and his impact on the run D was definitely felt. Simmons impact on those games all though not shown in the box score could have been pretty impactful.

Could have been sure, similar to how so many ragged on MVS a few games merely because he had no catches, but I and countless others saw them as some of his best from a blocking, route running and other aspects not tallied in the box score. Trust me I get that angle.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wimm didn’t say non-factor.

He said they didn’t play enough to be considered a large factor.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just on Toney, his route running abilities will be illustrated against higher level corners. Toney relies solely on his speed to get open, not crisp footwork or with an array of releases. I don't dislike him at 62 (wouldn't do it personally though), but he is most definitely IMO not a first rounder like many seem to think.

I think this class has more depth due to some opt outs - that allowed other now draft prospects to illustrate their chops perhaps in a fashion they wouldn't have been able to otherwise...no real way of defending that just a observational thought I had the other day.

I understand what your saying but that’s his game. All it takes is a few studder steps and head fakes and he has 3 yards of separation. He made NFL caliber corners look silly at the senior bowl. I love this kid at the next level

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand what your saying but that’s his game. All it takes is a few studder steps and head fakes and he has 3 yards of separation. He made NFL caliber corners look silly at the senior bowl. I love this kid at the next level

Oh I think in the right systems dude will shine, that has never been the issue with me on him at all. Similar to how I feel Amari Rodgers in a system like MLF's could make many a GM look stupid for letting him slide past the 2nd like many think he may.

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I was a Patrick Queen fan and sought out as much of his games as possible
I was one of the first to point out Queen's rise before the draft. As I said, Queen plays fast and has a ton of tenacity but diagnosing plays and having the responsibility of others/reading in the defensive plays, that was Jacob Philips's job. Hence, we saw what happened when Queen took on those responsibilities, it slowed his game a little but with time/experience, Queen should be good to go (time will tell).

I do a lot of self-reflection on my past draft crushes and the prospects I like... ILB and RBs are definitely my strongest...CB and OL is definitely my weakest lol

I thought Isaiah Oliver and Mike Hughes were way better than Jaire Alexander... I was so wrong. :oops:

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I go back and forth with this daily. I love love love a lot of these top tier receivers including Toney
I loved Toney's game tape but this senior bowl 1v1 and tape.. He just dropped so many passes in practice.. Im just iffy on Toney I guess. Crazy thing is Toney didn't drop a pass all season...

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thoughts on Osa Odighizuwa (DL-UCLA)? A few of OL (Meinerz & Radunz I think) at the senior bowl said he was the toughest to block.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thoughts on Osa Odighizuwa (DL-UCLA)? A few of OL (Meinerz & Radunz I think) at the senior bowl said he was the toughest to block.

Osa is a guy I have in that immediate second tier of iDL. He should be gone by end of Day 2 IMO

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He’s exactly the type that GB likes.

And Dayo (OneDayoooooonly) from Vanderbilt is one to watch too.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've watched a bunch of Osa and the kid can play. Last year he had moments where he absolute wrecked, but then disappeared when the team adjusted. For example, check out the USC tape from last year. I really like this kid though and thought he'd be a great DE fit for us.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread specifically for prospects so I thought I make one as I watch the Senior Bowl + tapes, will keep this updated as practice/game tapes are released. Let me know your prospects or others I should look out for.
  • Austin Watkins JR. - WR from UAB catches my eye. 6'1"-6'2", 200lbs. Similar physical build/mold as Davante Adams coming out of college (not saying he's the next D.Adams). Not shifty, or fast, but very physical WR and great hands (caught every ball thrown to him except uncatchable/overthrown ones) -- intriguing prospect.
  • Cade Johnson -- small school WR from South Dakota State. 5'10" - 186lb. straight up NASTY. Made DBs look silly, breaking ankles then catches the ball with one hand. Repeats similar. stock up^
  • D'Ante Smith -- 6'4" -- 294lb.
  • David Moore -- Grambling State Uni. OL. 6'1" 350lbs.. Definitely playing Guard or Center in NFL. He just stonewalled everyone.
    • Other OLs to watch: Alaric Jackson & Drake Jackson
  • Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah - LB- Notre Dame- 6'2" - 215 - FAST and can cover. Many missed tackles and whiffs. Poor block disengagement or slip blocks. Needs to add a lot of strength. Reminds me of Akeem Davis-Gaither. Some have him as top LB.. I see him 3-5round.
  • Jabril Cox**
  • Tony Fields II - LB - 6,2"- 225. Arizona/West Virginia. Really reminds me of Devin Bush-. Similar buildish as Owusu but with tenacity and willingness to hit. Can easily pack on another 10lbs. I really see him flying up draft boards. Dont be shocked if Fields runs a 4.34 - 4.45. I love how he diagnosis plays and goes straight to work.. Easily moved into one of my top ILBs. I like :) Pro day - Tony ran 4.48-4.5
  • Cam McGrone - Michigian LB. 6'1" 230lbs.. Love the tenacity and speed. Big Fan.
  • Ar'Darius Washington - TCU - S - 5'8" - 180lb. Solid tackler. Explosive, rangy.

Prospects (I'm iffy about)
  • ***Kadarius Toney - WR - Florida- 5'11" - 190. Great Athlete and route runner. But damn, catch the ball. too many drops during senior bowl practice. Did not have many drops during the season unsure why hes dropping them during senior practice. May change.
  • QB Zach Wilson - scouts describe him as a rich spoiled-brat, a know-it-all(via WalterFootball; take this with a grain of salt). BYU students seem to echo that. On Twitter, he's often defending his character. Others say its a "hit" job on his draft stock. I know folks don't really care for WalterFootball, but WalterFootball tells it as it is per Red Flags (Charlie is probably the only WF guy I take seriously). But I understand the hype.
  • QB - Mac Jones -
  • QB - Justin Fields -

I would take Jones if he's there at 29. We don't know about Love, we know in college Jones had more success than Love. Let's put ourselves in a situation in 2 years after we trade Rodgers to the Jets for a 3rd where we have a QB controversy.

Fields is tough won't deny that...here's my question. Is he RGIII or is he Doug Williams or Russell Wilson?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade Rodgers for a 3rd round pick?

I think post retirement at age 50 he could get a 3rd round pick lol.

D

Deleted member 6794

A player like Bush, who played less than 300 snaps last season, definitely shouldn't be considered a large factor in a unit's success by any means. Gary had some impact on the performance of the Packers defense in 2020 but he wasn't a major part of it either.

I would take Jones if he's there at 29. We don't know about Love, we know in college Jones had more success than Love. Let's put ourselves in a situation in 2 years after we trade Rodgers to the Jets for a 3rd where we have a QB controversy.

Gutekunst should be fired before the Bills hand in their pick at #30 if he chooses another quarterback in the first round this year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quinn Meinerz NEEDS to be a Packer.

My only issue with Quinn is I much rather have a OT in college that has the skillset/agility/measurables to most likely switch to the interior. While Green Bay for sure could use a interior addition - we have Jenkins, Runyon, Patrick and Hanson all set to battle for what the interior looks like.

Our biggest need is a Tackle presently - and Quinn more and more it seems would need picked if even still there with our 2nd round pick. Doing so I'm assuming we didn't go Tackle with our first pick...which means while we have added a player we all will most likely love and very solid chance could start in 2021....we have no one IMO I want starting at one of the two tackle spots with Turner till Bahk is back.

Quinn is amazing, love what he could bring to the table...and who knows perhaps if we draft Quinn, Jenkins might be looking at sliding to a Tackle position...but that would essentially mean our interior 3 spots will be guys with no extended starting experience in the league. I just don't see the Quinn pick happening, as hard as that is for me to say.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Fields is tough won't deny that...here's my question. Is he RGIII or is he Doug Williams or Russell Wilson?
Lol, Who exactly is we? I’m going to take a wild guess and say that staff and management have a better idea about Love than know-little fans do.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What do YOU know about Love as an NFL quarterback?

Nothing?

Cool you made my point for me.

I'm not sure what your point is, but you certainly missed his.

He didn't say he knows Love will be good-- just that the coaching staff are the ones who actually know something about who he is at this point.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread specifically for prospects so I thought I make one as I watch the Senior Bowl + tapes, will keep this updated as practice/game tapes are released. Let me know your prospects or others I should look out for.
  • Austin Watkins JR. - WR from UAB catches my eye. 6'1"-6'2", 200lbs. Similar physical build/mold as Davante Adams coming out of college (not saying he's the next D.Adams). Not shifty, or fast, but very physical WR and great hands (caught every ball thrown to him except uncatchable/overthrown ones) -- intriguing prospect.
  • Cade Johnson -- small school WR from South Dakota State. 5'10" - 186lb. straight up NASTY. Made DBs look silly, breaking ankles then catches the ball with one hand. Repeats similar. stock up^
  • D'Ante Smith -- 6'4" -- 294lb.
  • David Moore -- Grambling State Uni. OL. 6'1" 350lbs.. Definitely playing Guard or Center in NFL. He just stonewalled everyone.
    • Other OLs to watch: Alaric Jackson & Drake Jackson
  • Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah - LB- Notre Dame- 6'2" - 215 - FAST and can cover. Many missed tackles and whiffs. Poor block disengagement or slip blocks. Needs to add a lot of strength. Reminds me of Akeem Davis-Gaither. Some have him as top LB.. I see him 3-5round.
  • Jabril Cox**
  • Tony Fields II - LB - 6,2"- 225. Arizona/West Virginia. Really reminds me of Devin Bush-. Similar buildish as Owusu but with tenacity and willingness to hit. Can easily pack on another 10lbs. I really see him flying up draft boards. Dont be shocked if Fields runs a 4.34 - 4.45. I love how he diagnosis plays and goes straight to work.. Easily moved into one of my top ILBs. I like :) Pro day - Tony ran 4.48-4.5
  • Cam McGrone - Michigian LB. 6'1" 230lbs.. Love the tenacity and speed. Big Fan.
  • Ar'Darius Washington - TCU - S - 5'8" - 180lb. Solid tackler. Explosive, rangy.

Prospects (I'm iffy about)
  • ***Kadarius Toney - WR - Florida- 5'11" - 190. Great Athlete and route runner. But damn, catch the ball. too many drops during senior bowl practice. Did not have many drops during the season unsure why hes dropping them during senior practice. May change.
  • QB Zach Wilson - scouts describe him as a rich spoiled-brat, a know-it-all(via WalterFootball; take this with a grain of salt). BYU students seem to echo that. On Twitter, he's often defending his character. Others say its a "hit" job on his draft stock. I know folks don't really care for WalterFootball, but WalterFootball tells it as it is per Red Flags (Charlie is probably the only WF guy I take seriously). But I understand the hype.
  • QB - Mac Jones -
  • QB - Justin Fields -
Nice analysis. I agree with your iffy list, with the exception of Mac Jones. He’s likely to drop past Trey Lance, yet likely to go in the first ten picks. He was a little overshadowed by other guys at AL.

Your description of Austin Watkins reminds me of why I liked Adams coming out of college - he caught the ball. In fact he’d reach out to grab a ball before a defender could knock it away. It took Adams two years to mature, and was worth the wait.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What do YOU know about Love as an NFL quarterback?

Nothing?

Cool you made my point for me.
Lol, you and I are nothing but ignorant fans. Staff and management are the only ones that know anything of Love’s progress or lack thereof. If the Packers pick a QB early it certainly hints that they either think Love may not be next up or they want someone to compete for that spot when Rodgers leaves after a year or two or three.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers pick a QB early it certainly hints that they either think Love may not be next up or they want someone to compete for that spot when Rodgers leaves after a year or two or three.

There's absolutely no way the Packers should pick a quarterback early in this year's draft no matter what the front officr and coaching staff thinks about Love.

Members online

Latest posts