2021 Dantés Draft Thread

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be alright with Davis, but I think he will be drafted before our pick. I seriously think we are going:
1. Offensive Tackle
2. Wide Receiver
3. Cornerback

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is going to sound crazy coming from me, but I think Jamin Davis should be heavily considered at 29.

He is a freak athlete with size. He can cover. He’s not the best at taking on blocks, but this scheme doesn’t require that.

I know the value of ILB’s isn’t real high in GB or in this defense, but I think Davis is good enough that he should be considered.

For reference, he’s 6’3 235. Ran a 4.48, 42” vertical, 11’ broad, really an incredible athlete.

He has the physical ability to be good in coverage but he's played a total of 837 total snaps in college and only 26 snaps in man coverage. He doesn't have much experience in coverage so any projection of him is going to be based only on his physical attributes. As I pointed out, he has almost no experience in man coverage and he's slow to react in zone defense. He has the physical tools to learn and improve but picking him at 29 would be a massive reach, especially since he's a little small in the lower body to be valuable against the run (especially with the Packers subpar dline protecting him). He has the body to put on the weight he needs to excel against the run but I don't think he's shown enough in coverage to be worth a first round pick at the least valuable position on defense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins could go really high. I have no idea. But I don't really like him.

He's built like an edge, but he's not a good pass rusher. He's been good in coverage, reportedly, for Tulsa, but I am highly dubious that the 260 lb AAC linebacker, who is not a special athlete, is going to enter the league and excel in coverage when there are like... 5 good coverage linebackers in the league to begin with.

If you aren't a pass rusher, and you're not a plus player in coverage, you're not worth a top 50 pick.

It seems very unlikely that they would take an off-ball linebacker at all, but if they did, I would prefer Jamin Davis. He has a far cleaner projection to today's game as a 3 down linebacker.

As I noted above, Jamin Davis has the physical tools to be good in coverage but he has VERY little experience doing so in college so he's a massive projection if you're considering him as a three-down linebacker.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could give two rips about experience in man coverage. It’s the easiest to teach anybody. Zone, you have an argument for.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all honesty, I cannot remember the last LB that came into the NFL and was adequate in coverage to start out. Keuchly maybe? It doesn’t happen often.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He has the physical ability to be good in coverage but he's played a total of 837 total snaps in college and only 26 snaps in man coverage. He doesn't have much experience in coverage so any projection of him is going to be based only on his physical attributes. As I pointed out, he has almost no experience in man coverage and he's slow to react in zone defense. He has the physical tools to learn and improve but picking him at 29 would be a massive reach, especially since he's a little small in the lower body to be valuable against the run (especially with the Packers subpar dline protecting him). He has the body to put on the weight he needs to excel against the run but I don't think he's shown enough in coverage to be worth a first round pick at the least valuable position on defense.

All rookie linebackers are going to suck in coverage. Including top 10 picks. Isaiah Simmons sucked in coverage.

Given that Davis actually has the rare traits to become a coverage asset in time, I would take him all day long over guys who maybe have more coverage snaps in college, but don't have the traits for them to translate (e.g. Collins or Bolton).

Now if the argument is just generally that he's a one year wonder and LB isn't a valuable position, so you'd pass in round 1, that totally makes sense to me.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would be alright with Davis, but I think he will be drafted before our pick. I seriously think we are going:
1. Offensive Tackle
2. Wide Receiver
3. Cornerback

Please don't interpret this as being a criticism of you, because it isn't. I can certainly imagine the draft going that way.

But I think one of the main reasons why fans end up getting upset on draft day is because they think that they know how it will go, and then their expectations are reversed by the actual outcome.

So I just am using this as an opportunity to make a general comment that the draft is more enjoyable when we don't think we know ahead of time exactly how it will unfold.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
1. Offensive Tackle
2. Wide Receiver
3. Cornerback
Possible, just as any other combination not including either kicker would be. I have WR lower, about with iOL and S, just above QB & RB. Unless some gadget type player is available after a run on DL, CB, and OT.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Clusters...

1st Round:
  • T. Marshall, WR, LSU
  • A. Leatherwood, OT, UA
  • C. Humphrey, OC, OK
  • A. Vera-Tucker, OL, USC
  • T. Moehrig, DB, TCU
  • J. Holland, DB, OR
  • J. Davis, LB, UK
2nd Round:
  • R. Moore, WR, PUR
  • Q. Meinerz, OL, WIWW
  • W. Little, OT, STAN
  • D. Radunz, OL, NDSU
  • M. Williams, iDL, LAT
  • B. Browning, ED/LB, OSU
  • J. Cox, LB, LSU
  • A. Samuel, CB, FSU
3rd Round:
  • N. Collins, WR, UM
  • I. Smith-Marsette, WR, IA
  • T. Doyle, OT, MIAOH
  • S. Brown, OT, NIA
  • B. Jaimes, OL, NEB
  • D. Dalman, OC, STAN
  • A. McNeill, iDL, NCSU
  • J. Ossai, ED, UT
  • P. Werner, LB, OSU
  • R. Rochell, CB, CARK
  • M. Wilson, CB, FLA
Day Three:
  • I. Book, QB, ND
  • E. Mitchell, RB, UL
  • J. Funk, RB, MAR
  • B. Moore, TE, KSU
  • J. Stoll, TE, NEB
  • D. Soehner, TE, IAST
  • L. Farrell, TE, OSU
  • J. Bates, TE, BSU
  • S. Fehoko, WR, STAN
  • T. Terry, WR, FSU
  • J. Darden, WR, NTU
  • J. Harris, WR, UCF
  • J. Camp, WR, GTU
  • D. Fitzpatrick, WR, LOU
  • D. Moore, OL, TAMU
  • W. Fries, OL, PSU
  • R. Hainsey, OL, ND
  • C. Herring, OL, BYU
  • C. Barnwart, OL, IA
  • J. Marshall, iDL, ARK
  • B. Brown, iDL, TAMU
  • T. Graham, iDL, UT
  • S. Toney, ED, PSU
  • W. Bradley-King, ED, BAY
  • D. Barnes, LB, PUR
  • N. Niemann, LB, IA
  • B. Johnson, LB, TAMU
  • G. Wallow, LB, TCU
  • B. St. Juste, CB, MIN
  • Z. McPhearson, CB, OKST
  • J. Pinnock, CB, PITT
  • N. Hobbs, CB, ILL
  • D. Forrest, S, CIN
  • C. Sterns, S, UT
  • J. Wiggins, S, CIN

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jabril Cox is probably the best coverage LB in the draft if you’re into that. Not great with blocks though.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear ya, I guess I am just looking at that plug and play right tackle right off the bat.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know your thread, but @Dantés throwing a name out I think Packer fans should be aware of on Day 3.

Nick Niemann LB from Iowa. Undersized, but insanely athletic measurables and on tape at times this kid looks legit. I throw him in the Garrett Wallow area as far as value/projections. However, this kid head hunts on run defense. So often these smaller framed guys for lack of a better term play timid it seems - not Nick - to a fault really at times. He was asked numerous times to slide out on coverage and excelled when asked NOT to guard top flight guys but TEs, RBs split out he has the athleticism to handle.

A 9.51 RAS is impressive, but his 10 yard split at 1.56 for a LB is what caught my eye (4.51 40yd). His strength is a little sub par for a LB, but we're talking a slighter LB at only 234lbs. His wingspan/arms are better than his frame says they should be and he uses them well, like JOK if he gets his hands on you missed tackles are very rare.

If a Cox, Surratt, Davis or Collins doesn't happen Day 1 or 2...Nick is one LB like Wallow, Johnson and Hill III that I know I'll be keeping an eye on if still available.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's something that occurred to me the other day.

Here are the Rams' top corners not named Ramsey and their profiles coming out of college:

Troy Hill:

5'10.5" 183 lbs
4.55 forty
32.5" vert
120" broad
4.21 shuttle
6.81 cone

Darious Williams:

5'9.6" 184 lbs
4.44 forty
39" vert
122" broad
4.34 shuttle
6.85 cone

And here are Asante Samuel Jr's Pro Day Numbers:

5'10" 180 lbs
4.41-45 forty (1.50 10 yd)
35" vert
124" broad
4.13 shuttle
6.95 cone

Now Hill and Williams were both really effective for the Rams as their CB2 and CB3. Hill has played both inside and outside and PFF graded him at 74.2, he had three interceptions, and allowed an 89.8 rating into his coverage (per PFR). Williams was graded at 80.0, had four interceptions, and allowed a 61 passer rating into his coverage.

Now both Williams and Hill were UDFA's who have developed for LA. However, Samuel, while being a similar size, is a somewhat better athlete than both, and a much better football player than either of them were coming out of college.

But here's the point. Samuel's only real negative to his profile is size. But here are two guys, basically identical in size, who played the position at a high level a year ago in the defense that the Packers are supposedly moving towards. And neither comp has been restricted to the slot, both playing well on the outside.

I really don't know where Samuel will go on draft day. But I keep thinking that if you add 1" and 10 lbs to him, he would be going in the top half of round one, and would be the CB1 for teams that value zone coverage. So would the Packers be foolish to pass on such a good player and fit at #29? I wonder.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Alright, here's one idea of how the Packers could attack this draft, among many other good ideas.

1.29: Asante Samuel Jr, CB, Florida State: The more I have gotten to know this cornerback class, the less impressed I am with its ability to offer immediate help to the Packers' defense. There are a bevvy of highly talented developmental players, but few who have the talent and skill to help immediately. That has led me to value more highly what Samuel offers. The negative is obvious-- he's 5'10" 180 lbs. But that may be the only reason he would be an option in the late 1st/early 2nd. Because he's sticky in man coverage and instinctive in zone, he's comfortable playing off or at the LOS, he possesses good ball skills, and he's a very reliable tackler. Green Bay would obviously want to add size to the secondary at some point, but Samuel can play, and that's the more important consideration.

Alternatives:
  • Terrace Marshall Jr, WR, LSU: I have read the rumors about his attitude and a knee that apparently worries some teams. I don't know what is legit about that and what is smoke. But what I do know is that Marshall is a 20 year old, physically gifted stud whose 12 game pace would have had him finish around 80/1250/17 in the SEC. He could contribute as a rookie, and then replace MVS in the vertical role in 2022, while offering a lot more at that position.
  • Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama: Leatherwood has had some issues in pass pro at times with the Tide. Smart OL minds have identified the issues as technical (oversetting and leaving his outside arm exposed to the cross chop). Those issues are teachable, but what isn't teachable is his combination of size, length, athleticism, strength, and experience. He would be an immediate asset as a run blocker, with all of the tools to grow into a good starting RT.
  • Creed Humphrey, OC, Oklahoma: Any interior lineman has to be something special to warrant consideration as a 1st round pick. Humphrey qualifies. Not only has he been the best lineman on one of the best lines in the country for one of the best offenses, he is about as rare an athlete for the position as one will find. The cherry on top for me is his wrestling background, which tends to correlate with excellence on the interior.
  • Jevon Holland, DB, Oregon: The 2020 opt out has caused Holland to fall off the radar a little bit, and I've been reading that players who opted out may fall in this class. I am not sure what to think about that-- maybe PAC 12 opt outs will be viewed differently. But Holland is a fantastic athlete, he has versatility to play safety, slot, and help on special teams, and his ball skills are special. He was one of the best defenders in his conference as a teenager.
2.62: Dillon Radunz, OL, North Dakota State: While not perhaps quite as dominant as one would prefer for the FCS level in pass protection, Radunz possesses all the tools you'd want in an offensive lineman for this style of offense. Adding him to the mix with fellow Bison alum Billy Turner could help solidify the right side for 2021 and beyond.

Alternatives:
  • Rondale Moore, WR, Purdue: Moore's explosive movement skills will likely get him drafted much higher than would otherwise be typical for a 5'7" 180 lb player. If the Packers still ran McCarthy's offense, I would be thoroughly against taking him. But Petals is creative enough to use him in the screen/motion/RPO game.
  • Quinn Meinerz, OL, Wisc. Whitewater: It's hard to know where these D-III players will wind up. Meinerz has drawn comparisons to Ali Marpet, who went 61st overall. The Wisc. Whitewater product proved he can hang with the big boys at the Sr. Bowl and would probably be able to offer quality snaps as a rookie at center or guard.
  • Jabril Cox, LB, LSU: If the Packers decide they want to break their tendency and take a linebacker earlier in the draft, Cox is an interesting option because of his ability in coverage. He's long, moves well, and possesses good instincts to help in that area.
  • Paulson Adebo, CB, Stanford: Adebo is a tough player to slot because of his strange profile. He's a great athlete and has fantastic ball skills. His fundamentals as a corner leave something to be desired. He could be the perfect developmental corner to work with behind King for a season.
3.92: Ihmir Smith-Marsette, WR, Iowa: He feels like the forgotten man in this WR class, but Smith-Marsette has a lot to offer an NFL team. He was a do-it-all threat for the Hawkeyes, posting solid receiving production (considering QB play) while also contributing as a rusher (34/274/4) and a returner (53/1520/2 KR). His reported 10 yard split (1.44) is freakish and demonstrates elite acceleration. He could contribute immediately in the motion game and on special teams.

Alternatives:
  • Jaylon Moore, OT, Western Michigan: Starting tackles at this point in the draft can be rare, but Moore blocks well enough on the move and has good enough tools that he would be worth a shot if they get this far without adding one.
  • Drew Dalman, OC, Stanford: Dalman is an underrated center prospect who could be a good addition if the Packers feel that center is the spot that needs to be addressed.
  • Pete Werner, LB, Ohio State: Werner is one of the handful of linebacker prospects in this class who has legit potential in coverage.
  • Robert Rochell, CB, Central Arkansas: Rochell is one of the developmental corner options with tools worth investing in.
4.135: Brenden Jaimes, OL, Nebraska: Pronounced "High-Muss," he and Radunz would offer the team two versatile, talented linemen to sort out in camp.

4.142: Derrick Barnes, LB, Purdue: Talented linebacker depth.

Alternatives:
  • Jaelon Darden, WR, North Texas: Slot/motion weapon.
  • Tommy Doyle, OT, Miami Ohio: Developmental tackle.
  • Jonathan Marshall, iDL, Arkansas: Elite developmental athlete.
  • Marco Wilson, CB, Florida: ''
5.173: Zech McPhearson, CB, Texas Tech: Developmental corner.

5.178: Darrick Forrest, S, Cincinnati: Safety depth.

Alternatives:
  • Dan Moore Jr, OT, Texas AM
  • Shaka Toney, ED, Penn State
  • Nick Niemann, LB, Iowa
  • Jacob Harris, WR, Central Florida
6.214: Jalen Camp, WR, Ga. Tech

6.220: Avery Williams, OW, Boise State

7.256: Jake Funk, RB, Maryland

Overall:

1. A. Samuel Jr, CB, FSU
2. D. Radunz, OL, NDSU
3. I. Smith-Marsette, WR, IA
4. B. Jaimes, OL, NEB
4. D. Barnes, LB, PUR
5. Z. McPhearson, CB, TTU
5. D. Forrest, S, CIN
6. J. Camp, WR, GTU
6. A. Williams, OW, BSU
7. J. Funk, RB, MAR

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. A. Samuel Jr, CB, FSU
2. D. Radunz, OL, NDSU
3. I. Smith-Marsette, WR, IA
4. B. Jaimes, OL, NEB
4. D. Barnes, LB, PUR
5. Z. McPhearson, CB, TTU
5. D. Forrest, S, CIN
6. J. Camp, WR, GTU
6. A. Williams, OW, BSU
7. J. Funk, RB, MAR

Solid, albeit assuming what was left in the 1st was as outlined, I'd try to trade back like hell...but Samuel is a high floor type guy that I feel is a prospect you almost know exactly what you're getting - which adds a value picking end of the 1st that some others would not.

Between Dillon and Brendan I feel one of them finds a starting spot at Tackle till Bahk is back and the other solid depth addition and could be even swing inside candidate.

The secondary depth added is excellent and as we have both discussed I love the Ihmir pick.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Solid, albeit assuming what was left in the 1st was as outlined, I'd try to trade back like hell...but Samuel is a high floor type guy that I feel is a prospect you almost know exactly what you're getting - which adds a value picking end of the 1st that some others would not.

Between Dillon and Brendan I feel one of them finds a starting spot at Tackle till Bahk is back and the other solid depth addition and could be even swing inside candidate.

The secondary depth added is excellent and as we have both discussed I love the Ihmir pick.

Yeah, I think prospect quality will plateau there for a bit, so a trade down would be cool. I guess maybe a team wanting the 5th year option on a RB, or looking for a QB could be the ticket. But just as likely, there are no options.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I think prospect quality will plateau there for a bit, so a trade down would be cool. I guess maybe a team wanting the 5th year option on a RB, or looking for a QB could be the ticket. But just as likely, there are no options.

I think the 5 QBs one would want that option are gone. Etienne is a guy that I could see a team wanting that important cheaper 5th year option on for sure. Could see some sniffers for an EDGE pressure type guy in need.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've dabbled with what it would take, and I'm not opposed to the idea of our 29 and both our 4ths to swing up to 21 (colts) or 22 (titans) if Bateman and or Newsome is there.

It scrapes you of some serious draft equity, and basically says you gotta find a Tackle in the 2nd or 3rd and maybe a WR, iOL and DL help as well....before waiting a long time for the 5th to roll around.

Buddy of mine also spoke on a theory which I think could have some merit. Should the team envision trading Rodgers is an option post-2021....trading away a 2022 1st rounder and going all in now for Rodgers last ride does two things - assists the now, and starts the post-Rodgers rebuild with young rookie contracts on high level talent hopefully - and when you trade Rodgers you know you're getting at least one 1st rounder back.

Scrape the draft cupboard of the future to leave the first round this year with say a Newsome + Bateman or a Newsome + Barmore or Newsome + Marshall/Moore or something similar. It isn't crazy to envision...only issue is clearing the cap space in order to afford a more expensive draft class than predicted is real with our cap situation....but an extension for Adams could solve that easily.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So does the much needed DL help come via free agency? I like a lot of your guys, I like some of your alternatives even better. I also like that you have most if not all of these guys in realistic spots. When you use the simulators guys are available when you know there is no way they would still be on the board.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So does the much needed DL help come via free agency? I like a lot of your guys, I like some of your alternatives even better. I also like that you have most if not all of these guys in realistic spots. When you use the simulators guys are available when you know there is no way they would still be on the board.

There are DL in this class who could be interesting, but overall it's a really bad class. I could see just signing a guy like Daquan Jones after the draft. He would help a lot more than a rookie anyways.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Honestly I like quite a few, but no locks outside of Barmore for me and he is the only one graded in the 1st by me. I'm just as fine waiting for Day 3 and drafting 2 of them there, then rolling dice on one in the 2nd/3rd.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd also not be opposed to Snacks coming back even if he hasn't decided to hang it up.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are DL in this class who could be interesting, but overall it's a really bad class. I could see just signing a guy like Daquan Jones after the draft. He would help a lot more than a rookie anyways.

signed with the Panthers a week ago

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts